pick me a box

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 02 December 2005 - 07:45 PM

heya, i've finnaly got a decent job (~ $500 a week after tax) and i'm starting to look at phase 2 for torry. the 202 i'm building will be fairly hot, desktop dyno says it will make a bit over 250hp but if it makes 200 on the engine dyno i'll be happy. the problematic bit is the gearbox. i was gonna run a w55 supra box, but i have intentions of putting nos and slicks on the car when i go to the strip, and im not sure how well the box would live if i decided to launch the car with an extra 100 shot of nos. i want soemthing that will last.

so basicaly, any ideas what i can run?? i want something easily available, and that can be adapted easily. 5 speeds would be nice but 4 would do. i would like to keep it to about $1000 for the box alone...not counting what it will cost to adapt it to the car. so i can see the supra box maybie living, a top loader is on the list, any other ideas?? your comments on both of these, any others?

don't bother mentioning an auto, not interested.

thanks all.

#2 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:49 AM

If a 4 speed is ok ,the T10 or Super T10 will handle everything that a 6 can throw at it, or the Supra 5 speed should do the trick.

#3 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,149 posts

Posted 03 December 2005 - 02:47 PM

Id go the supra box,Dellow says they will take 300hp but I have seen them last behind 308s making more than,1 of my mates has 1 behind a 330ci vk for 2years & he doesnt thrash it all the time but it has taken some punishment as it is his daily driver.

#4 GML-31

GML-31

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 03 December 2005 - 03:01 PM

the title of your topic leads my imagination running, are we talking size here or how much carpet it has??

#5 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 05:29 PM

toploader? + 1200kg clutch + renegate shifter = :D

#6 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:08 PM

^^ You really need to get out more often...

#7 _J&S Racing_

_J&S Racing_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:12 PM

I agree with high rpm, a good package for your bucks.

Can you get a Sequential shifter for M20/M21

#8 _Dirty Deeds_

_Dirty Deeds_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2005 - 07:59 PM

I agree with high rpm, a good package for your bucks.

Can you get a Sequential shifter for M20/M21

Yep, Renegate make them ( or they used to ). They are on the web, www.renagate.com.

I had one on the Top Loader and HATED IT !!!
Down shifting was a PITA.

#9 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:09 AM

i think i would have to have a renegate shifter on a toploader as i realy hate the feel of the shifter its like pushing rocks around in a bucket :P

#10 _high_rpm_

_high_rpm_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2005 - 02:10 AM

^^ You really need to get out more often...

your the one home on a saturday night :lol:

#11 Stedz_lc

Stedz_lc

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,144 posts

Posted 04 December 2005 - 10:08 PM

Ive never EVA seen a clutch that weighs 1200kg! Damn your gonna snap cranks n all sorts of shit with a 1200kg clutch!
:D Couldn't resist

#12 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2005 - 09:11 PM

actualy will be running a button clutch. sorry forgot to mention that. cant be #@$^%& messing with fibre ones when you can get sprung 5 puck button clutches that are supposed to be nearly as tame as fibreies...just less weight. ie less stretched cables.

so the current ideas are, supra should live, top loader feels like trying to move rocks around when changing (not terrably good), but i can get a sequential shifter (good) but the shifter moves to far to be overly practical (not terrably good), and super t10 might be an option...what are t10's out of??? chevy yes?

#13 _Baronvonrort_

_Baronvonrort_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2005 - 04:14 PM

I thought a lighter fricton plate has a lower 'moment of inertia' which will allow a motor to rev out quicker much like a lighter flywheel.

The maths simplified for calculating rotational inertia is:
Mass (kg) multiplied by radius squared(Metres) then divide that by 2.
With the 'radius' being squared a smaller diameter clutch for the same weight will have much less rotational inertia and therefore rev out much quicker.I wont confuse you with SI units so go for the one with the lower number to reduce rotational inertia.

The fibre cluch material is lighter than metal puck type and since this weight is near the edge of the radius i am not sure if it will actually have less rotational inertia.

A lighter clamping force from the pressure plate is what will reduce clutch cable stretch.

A smaller diameter or lighter pressure plate will reduce rotational inertia similar to the effect of a lightend flywheel and again the smaller diameter one for the same weight will have significantly less rotational inertia.

The supra box should have no worries behind a 202 in a Torana.

The Supra weighs just over 1500 kg and the 3 litre twin cam multivalve turbo engine would have more torque and power than the 202.The rice burners do increase the boost for even more power when modifying them and they still hold up in a supra.

If you get a quick shift for the supra box from dellow it has one of the best and shortest gearshift i have ever used.

The only problem i have had with the supra box is with the extension that is supplied for the input shaft so it can reach the spigot bush is too short and only just reaches the spigot bush so i have had to machine another one up on a lathe.

I have fitted these box's to many cars both 6 and V8 and they have all lasted for years if i have double checked the fit of input shaft extension to spigot bush.

I have a friend who enters "drift comps" with his toyota supra and he has never had any gearbox problems.

With all the shift linkages being inside the gearbox they never jam up like the m20/21's.

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2005 - 09:44 PM

hey mate thats some good info...what i ment by a lighter clutch is lighter clamping pressure like puch clutches have. wasn't talking bout the friction plate at all. and the turbo supras came out with a turbo supra box...these are around $2000...bit over my budjet. apparently the na supra ones are far weaker...but far cheaper. i know they make a short throw at dellow, was intending to get one.

so thus far it seems the supra box is on everyons list....most of ya seem to think it will live. might send an email to dellow and see what they say, blokes there know more bout boxes than i do lol. cheers for help so far guy's...keep the suggestions coming.

#15 _Eddie_

_Eddie_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 09:53 PM

Will these fit?

http://cgi.ebay.com....mMakeTrack=true

http://cgi.ebay.com......AMEWA:IT&rd=1

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2005 - 11:53 PM

if you get an adaptor kit from dellow.

#17 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 27 January 2016 - 10:56 AM

So which stickshift did you end up going with, mate?

#18 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 27 January 2016 - 11:50 AM

lol

#19 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:10 PM

Wow this is an oldie.

Still rocking the trimatic. Will prolly get a new super t10 for it one day.

#20 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 27 January 2016 - 12:53 PM

I challenge you to find an older one...lol

#21 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:33 PM

Lol, wonder what the first ever post was ? You should find it Craig... I mean Dave ! Lol

#22 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:34 PM

So you and Dave are the same person?

#23 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:40 PM

I challenge you to find an older one...lol

Done :)

#24 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 27 January 2016 - 01:41 PM

lol