• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#26 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:23 PM

XU1 1972,
See the above replies.
On my 71 CK Salamanca..I would love to have it and would be driving it in the sprints as well. To me a car is a car..its mechanical and repairable ...
See NOSLHs comments...drive the bloody thing..Hard!
Shevster is on the money.
Zook sort of lost me then got me back. He is correct..whatever turns your knobs...
I was expressing my thoughts on where I stand at the moment regarding concourse big $ items sitting in garages used once ever 3 months for 50 klms. Not my scene anymore.
I want speed...lots of it as regularly as possible..but the imporatnat thing is...there will always be at least one Torana in the fleet.! :clap: :spoton:
R

#27 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 06:48 PM

I would love to show what my standard L34 will do to a standard A9X all these young ones beleive what the A9x brigade tell them about its wonderful performance but they cant tell me how a with 2 cars weighing the same and one haveing up to 140 more horsepower than the other , i still cant work out how the testers of all these cars were that bad a drivers that a L34 with over 140 more horse power than a slr5000 could be slower and a A9X with even less than a slr5000 was faster ?? Figure that one Rory , I actually went past on weekend gave the ss a run to Brisbane , TREX

#28 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:31 PM

Here we go again. This one just keeps coming up doesn't it. When you find me a bog stock L34 and I mean bog stock as it left the factory floor, that means no high output pack, I will find you a bog stock A9X in the same condition with the same rear drive and you will soon find out a few things. 1. the L34 is not much (if at all) quicker over the quarter, and 2, if we are talking ciruit racing, after a few laps the L34 will have run out of brakes or done in the diff. A bog stock L34 never had 140 more horsepower, simple as that. I'm not trying to say the A9X had wonderful performance, it didn't, but lets please stick with the facts at hand. I never said the L34 was a bad car, it's not, and I don't think the "A9X brigade" has tried to say, "Oh my car is better cause it's a mighty A9X", but I'm sorry racy, every time I see you put up a post of late, it's to try and justify the L34 is the better car and the A9X isn't and shouldn't be worth as much, if this is the case, hang onto your car, as I said to you a few times, the market may shift and L34's may pull more money than an A9X sedan, but for the moment, they are not.
Now I have had my rant, back to the subject. I bought my car over 11 years ago now, and back then, you saw A9X's for sale every day, and they were reasonably cheap, especially by todays standards. I had my SS hatch, and it was modified in the way I wanted, but I always wanted an A9X. I liked my cars basically as they came from the factory, and since I liked Toranas, this was the logical choice for me to get. For the money I paid, I could not have bought a Torana and modified it up to much better anyway. Now, the prices have skyrocketed, and as someone pointed out, people with good money are willing to pay good money for them to collect for their own reasons. I'm sure the people paying this sort of money have the money to have other toys if they want them, or they can also go out and buy a HSV, they most likely don't care about the depreciation. If someone is spending big money on one of these cars, and doesn't want to wrap it round a pole in a sprint or hill climb, fair enough, I didn't pay big money, but I have never had the interest in doing that sort of thing, even if it was still only worth what I paid. Zook is on the right track, but the wannabees is a bit harse, just because you don't have a collectable car does not make it a nothing, it's someones pride and joy. I don't drive my car as much as some people drive their replicas or whatever, but I enjoy it for what it is and if I want to go hard or be comfortable, I'll take my HSV.

#29 _lx5008_

_lx5008_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 07:43 PM

I agree with NOSLH & bullitljv8. I've got a LX SLR 5000 & I didn't buy it to look at the thing sitting in my shed doing nothing. The most enjoyment I get out of my car is when I'm on a nice windy stretch of road in the country on a beautiful sunny day going for a cruise. I don't give a s*!t about the stone chips I'm having too much fun to worry about that. Hell in 5 years time I'll respray it, who cares. The things insured for more than it's worth anyway. Don't get me wrong it's definately not a daily driver but I try to drive it once a week if the weathers fine.I couldn't care less if it was 5k or 105k my attitude would still be the same. My only stipulations are I don't drive it in the rain if I can avoid it & I don't leave it where I can't see it. I do agree though reference circuit racing that's when I would use a replica. I hope LX5008 is reading this.

hi glenn, my first car was a torana ss hatch, them this one old blue
i built this a a9x look alike 308 quad webbers, toploader, 9", a9x brakes i drove this car as a daily driver for years and years. sold it in 1992 to build my house. so ive been there and done that. these days i drive my ex cop vt manual. the old slr justs sits in the shed who cares its like new. i work six days a week and on sundays with two young kids there is allways something else to do. how can you drive fast these days with two kids and a wife in the car.

see ya at amcm in sep glenn

cheers graham

#30 _Fairdinkum_

_Fairdinkum_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:21 PM

I think that saying someone is a p&*^y for not driving their car is a bit harsh. If they have a desirable/expensive/rare car and they gain satisfaction from:
a) having it sit in the shed whilst they have a beer and look at it,
b ) saying "I have an XUA9XSSGTRXL34 and it's worth more than your 460ci Sunbird" or
c) taking it for a once a year drive on Boxing day,
then so be it - it's got nothing to do with anyone else, especially wannabes!
This forum and our allegiance to these cars is built on the great ones, like the XUA9XSSGTRXL34. If they all get smashed up, stolen and parted out until there are none left what will we all have to talk about?!

I agree with Zook,(except for the wannabees part) i think Zook is spot on with his comments.......
Ah racy,you just cant get over the fact that some people on this forum dont agree with your thoughts between the L34 And the A9X,how many times have you bought the same subject up ?????????????.Dont get me wrong i respect your point of view but how many times do we have to hear it,anyway in my opinion as i have stated before A9X is a superior car,a much better all round package,but i would not knock back an L34....
Anyway getting back to the point,you can still pick up an XU1 for around the 40000 mark,so why would anyone pay 75000?????? its to dear imo.,,,,,any way good luck to the seller trying to get 75000.

#31 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2006 - 09:44 PM

I'm Stayin out of this one...

I'll stick with my "S", modify to how i want (or how mum lets me), and drive the wheels off it, then maybe later I'll upgrade to an LX and do the same, mod and drive the wheels off it. If i had a chance to buy an A9X in the 80's i wouldve, but seeing as i was born in the 90's...

I think that XU-1s will get to be worth about $100k, keeping in mind that every time that someone wrecks a car, there is one less of that type of car in existence. so if the XU-1, A9X, L34 etc etc owners all keep their cars locked in sheds, what reason have they to go up in value?

RIM

#32 _racyrabbit_

_racyrabbit_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:07 PM

If you were alive when they were new you could have showed me then RED as i used to race them frequently , i had a new 308 in 75,76,77 did you ? TREX

#33 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:40 PM

Who gives a Flying Fat Rats Clacker which one is best L34/A9X..Both are aussie muscle and MUSCLE they both are.Both have proved there point on and off the track.I am not biased and i own an A9x and a Bathurst LC.I would happily own and drive an L34.Come on guys DONT get personal about these cars.They are all good..AUSSIE MUSCLE :spoton:

#34 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:48 PM

If you were alive when they were new you could have showed me then RED as i used to race them frequently , i had a new 308 in 75,76,77 did you ? TREX

I was alive, not old enough to drive them, race cars are differnt to road cars however and the fact remains, a stock L34 was actually slower over the quarter than a stock LH SLR5000, simple as that and certainly not 140hp more, even the best HDT L34 engines could only manage 350hp. As pip says, who gives a rats butt which one is better, I don't, but lets at least stick to the facts, and I don't believe I brought this up in the first place, it's not even on subject

Edited by REDA9X, 15 June 2006 - 10:54 PM.

#35 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,075 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2006 - 10:51 PM

Agree 127% with Pip. here we are arguing amongst OURSELVES! We are all Torana/Holden enthusiasts and we are arguing a point of which we now the answer! Toranas RULE! Thats all there is to it!

We are fighting with ourselves when they are greater issues that need resolving (like how to save young guys from dieing in car crashes)

RIM

#36 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 June 2006 - 11:20 PM

if the xu1 for sale is a bathurst 73 then yes it is more than likely worth 75k or more depending on condition .
there is proof of one selling for 70k on amcs , another for 90k in melb and a buyer who has offered 80k for one ... and after all the garden variety xu1,s have been fetching 55k in good nic , i hope they reach 100k , our little xu1,s are much undervalued compared to the gt falcons that are fetching close to 300k...

however the question still remains , have we missed the boat ?

racy just get that thing on the road then you can brag about it !!!!

#37 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 08:07 AM

See what you started Dazza :tease:

#38 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 16 June 2006 - 11:44 AM

Getting slightly back on the original point, yes, I think original XU-1s with all the right bits will hit $100k. There may have been a few thousand of them made, but since they were cheap performance at the time, they were available to the masses, including the young guys for their first cars. That means most of them were either modified or written off or heavily damaged throughout their life. Finding an original XU-1 with little or no accident damage from some stage in tis life, and with all its correct bits these days is a very rare thing. I also reckon the same thing will happen/is happening to SL/R5000s and SS hatches - stock examples are now very rare, and commanding good prices.

As for whether to drive them or not, I think that part of the reason that Holden muscle cars are starting to hit the big $$ is because guys like Bullit, REDA9X and 2600s (and a host of others) are still willing to get their original cars out of the shed and get them dirty and rained on - take them for drives, cruises, show them at car shows, and let the general public see them. I know of lots of really nice muscle cars which spend their lives sitting in sheds, and it's a shame that the public doesn't get to see them. I don't blame the owners - it's their car, so they can do what they like with it, but it would be a shame if genuine examples simply disappeared from public view, and were forgotten about.

#39 _hux454_

_hux454_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:28 PM

My thoughts exactly dangerous. I do understand that owners don't like to clock up the kms and get stone chips etc but try to at least show them in your local car shows as the public love looking at and admiring them and it's just growing immensly.

Edited by hux454, 16 June 2006 - 01:30 PM.

#40 _Flamenco_

_Flamenco_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 01:35 PM

Having had an A9X - for me it wasn't a money thing that convinced me to buy one... Just the feeling of owning and driving a classic car... Re: the L34 vs A9X debate - I'm with RED on this one, but can respect other people's point of views. It's probably down to the individual as to why they drive or aspire to own the torana/s they do... For ME, I got a nostalgic feeling when driving the A9X compared to driving my modified SL hatch which couldn't be replicated - I'm sure it would be a different outcome for others if they were in my situation... Lets not argue!

#41 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 16 June 2006 - 05:47 PM

WOW! I am going to put on my flame proof suit!... Such passion!
R

#42 _jap-xu1_

_jap-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:06 PM

i love my toranas but there isnt a stock torana in the world worth 75k. not even close imo.

some people just have more dollars than sense i spose

#43 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 17 June 2006 - 04:42 PM

i love my toranas but there isnt a stock torana in the world worth 75k. not even close imo.

some people just have more dollars than sense i spose

Personally i think the market still undervalues the cars.
If I had bought an A9X in 1977 and had baby sit it for close to 30 years for some enthusiast to buy in 2006, I would have thought 70K was fair.
27 years X $500 per annum insurance and reg = 13.5K
12K invested in 1977 would be worth:
24K in 1987
48K in 1997
96K in 2007 based on average inflation.
Total 109K not allowing for repairs, tyres, servicing.

#44 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:34 AM

You could buy a house here in melbourne in 77 for about 30 grand.Whats its worth today.More than $100.much much more. Just remember guys like anything in life"SUPPLY AND DEMAND". You got the money and you want it buy it.Xu1's will be over $100 by the end of next year for a mint example with history. :spoton:

#45 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:39 PM

Back to the post on this car,has anybody seen or know the XU-1 in question?????
If so is it what it should be for the money being asked?
$55 seems to be the mark at the moment for a real good one so for 11/72 at $75 it must have something special for the extra dollars :<_<:

#46 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 06:47 PM

Smiley,

I contacted the owner in SA and had a yarn about the car...said it's been owned by him for 18years or so...still has it's JP block/head and is in reasonable condition (few chips/scratches etc....I asked if I could get some pics and further numbers as I was genuinely interested in looking at a stable mate for my 8/73 but received an e-mail from the sellers partner saying she had been reading the comments on the forums and determined I was not interested.....I explained to her that I stood by my comments of not always getting the price asked but deadly silence...anyway I wil keep looking else where. IMHO a bit pricey for a standard xu-1....but if someone likes it and has the dough it will sell...(I like the colour) is it Lime green metallic????

scooter.

#47 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:00 PM

I just looked back through the comments and I am wondering why it would appear you were not interested? I think the fact is, the internet and forums mean when something like this comes up for sale, people will talk, there isn't anything you can do about it. Before the internet, people still talked, just on a smaller scale. thats a way of life

#48 HSVGTS

HSVGTS

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Name:HSVGTS

Posted 18 June 2006 - 07:54 PM

It�s interesting to read all the comments however the facts remain,�.

I brought an XU-1 new in �73 and paid top money at $4,100.
Before I brought the SMP XU-1 I have now I looked at them when they were asking $10k and I wouldn�t pay the money.
I looked again when the asking price for XU-1�s was $25k, I could have brought the SMP I have at the moment but never went through with it.
I looked again at XU-1�s at $35k and said no way����

Then down the track I paid $50k for SMP XU-1 that ends up with an offer of $70k even before I pick it up.

So what I�m trying to say is it�s like the young man waiting for the real-estate prices to drop, picture him now with a walking stick still waiting.

If you really want one and can afford it, considering the asking prices of XU-1�s that are available at the moment and work out a deal. The asking price for my SMP was $55k, I never made him an offer, I just asked him what price would he sell it to me for and the rest is history.

However I convinced myself of what I believe a true value is by drawing an analogy to purchasing a new SS commodore, what�s their price and how much do they devalue when you drive them off the showroom floor. I think the XU-1 will always be ahead in that deal.

Anyway, that�s my experience with XU-1�s�������regards

#49 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 18 June 2006 - 08:30 PM

Very well said. :spoton:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users