276 replies to this topic

#251 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 08 November 2023 - 11:45 AM

~ Need to make a cover next, and not sure how to do that. Maybe fibreglass (need to do the kick panel as well for the computer), but would prefer steel. ~

I reckon that cover would need to be steel (IE. fire-proof) and sealed air-tight to the boot floor (IE. fuel & exhaust fumes-proof) by law.

Plus, I could easily see a 3D-printed plastic or fibreglass cover getting smashed the first time you put a spare wheel (or anything else for that matter) in the boot!

#252 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 08 November 2023 - 08:02 PM

Thanks BigFella - good call on the steel. Of course! I might do the kick panel in steel too, then.

And agree on the black outers - they make the low profile tyres look old school, part of the reason I am really digging them.

#253 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 08 November 2023 - 08:07 PM

So in typical car building fashion, it turns out I have a weird backfeed issue with the dash, meaning my fuel sender is affecting the oil pressure gauge. So out it all came, dash, fuel module, pulled relevant wiring apart and, yeah. FFS.

Anyway, fuel hoses will be ready tomorrow, hopefully they fit up okay. Then hopefully I can sort this weird issue so I can start it - I want to trust the oil pressure gauge for that.

This all makes us stronger, right?

#254 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 08 November 2023 - 08:12 PM

Starting to really look the part now Sam 

Lovin the wheel combo to

big tick 

#255 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 19 November 2023 - 03:32 PM

Still having dash dramas unfortunately, just with the fuel gauge, but will hopefully iron it out soon. I did fit up the fuel lines, which had to be re-done as they had made them all 2in too short... They copped it on the chin, and re-made the four I couldn't make fit - very happy with the service. Stuff happens, they made it good. So with them fitted, the new Walbro 460 in and wired up, I filled the drop tank with 20lts of 98 for the first time in 10 years, and primed the lines. No leaks, all as it should be. 

So I grabbed a funnel off Amazon (my rad cap isn't the highest part of the cooling system), and filled and bled the cooling system. The CVR EWP meant I could do it without starting the engine. I had had a sensor bung welded in the top of the rad tank for the EWP and thermos - again, no leaks and it bled up easily. Hmm. Was getting suspicious it was going so well...

Attached File  IMG_2603.jpg   234.53K   11 downloads

So then I checked for spark - roger.

Checked all the wiring again - seemed right.

Turned her over - had got the starter spaced right, too - but nothing.

Quick check - they work better with the coil lead on properly...

Turned her over a couple more times and braaaapppp. It was a joyous moment, as you can see in the video. No exhaust though, apart from headers, so I shared that joy with the entire neighbourhood. My 91 year old partly deaf neighbour yelled over the fence later "sounds awesome mate!" Ha ha.

So yes, another big step. Just the exhaust, stupid fuel gauge, fitting of puke tanks etc and, yeah, the trim, front panels... But closer than it's ever been. A good day. 

#256 neglectedtorana

neglectedtorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Name:Tom
  • Car:LX Torana Sunbird

Posted 19 November 2023 - 03:36 PM

Thats great Sam, well done.

Bet your neighbour will be looking forward to a ride soon.

Enjoy,

#257 axistr

axistr

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,169 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 November 2023 - 07:09 AM

Awesome Sam, excellent work. It's defiantly the best sound when the engine starts up for the first time on all cylinders and it's got oil pressure. All those dough full thoughts of have I done this or that and did I plug it in, and did I tighten the flux capacitor bolts soon disappears when its running. You will be cruising the streets soon. It might be worth while telling your elderly neighbor to upgrade his hearing aids to get the full experience.

Edited by axistr, 20 November 2023 - 07:10 AM.

#258 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 20 November 2023 - 08:17 AM

Thanks fellas.

And especially you Lenny, that wiring tutorial you gave me at your place meant it all went first go, zero problems, because I had tested, tested, tested, rather than just plug and hope/pray. Onya mate.

That said, if you watched the video, I look over my shoulder just before starting it - that was to check where the fire extinguisher was. Ha ha ha. I was mostly confident, though...

Edited by SmacT, 20 November 2023 - 08:17 AM.

#259 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 02:11 PM

With the engine running, not on fire and everything hooked up right, I've made the most of Xmas to get as much done as possible.

First was to have a crack at trimming the seats, lowers only, I got the uppers done already. I did alright first go, but want to take off the lower again and use a steamer to rejuvenate the foam where you can see it's a little wrinkled. Was fun to do, though I can see how hard trimmers have to work to make things magic. I have to do the whole rear seat myself and am nervous, but hey, I can always get someone qualified to do it if I can't make it work.

Attached File  IMG_2684 2.jpg   101.24K   4 downloads

I fitted, then removed and painted the K-Mac front swaybar. It was one of the easiest things I've had to do on the car.

Attached File  IMG_2687.jpeg   80.5K   5 downloads

Did the old wrinkle paint on the rocker covers as I am unsure I will stick with these. I have agonised over the breather set up for the Holden 383, so will try a factory PCV to an air/oil seperator, then to the intake on the P/S. Old school oil catch can on the D/S cover. 

Attached File  IMG_2692.jpeg   91.81K   2 downloads

Made up the brake lines, then bled the brakes and clutch line with the help of middle son. He reckons he is driving it on his Ls. No. No he isn't. But it was fun doing it with him.

Attached File  IMG_2704.jpeg   100.78K   2 downloads

Had the legendary Uncle Festa fit the screens - great job. Thanks mate.

Attached File  IMG_2722.jpeg   97.64K   2 downloads

Rolled in the vibration damping. I have seen people cover every last inch of the floor with this stuff, but my understanding is you don't need total coverage for it to work, as long as the panel can't humm. Each to their own. You can see the black unbranded car builders in the drivers footwell, I like it better than the flashy silver car builders branded stuff everywhere else.

Attached File  IMG_2994.jpeg   203.72K   4 downloads

Tided up the engine bay, fitted the rad overflow where the charcoal canister used to go, added throttle springs and other little stuff. It's basically done. I will stick in a charcoal canister, but hidden. Lines are there, just need to do it.

Attached File  IMG_2991.jpeg   182.62K   4 downloads

Bolted on the front panels, indicators, bumper, etc and got it all gapped and working. Not 100 per cent happy with panel alignment, but it's close.

Attached File  IMG_2815.jpeg   76.07K   2 downloads

Then I drove the bugger outside. It drove and stopped, and shook the ground with no exhaust. Was a good feeling. It's off for an exhaust in two weeks (I gave up on trying to do it myself, I have run out of time). Waiting on carpet, need to trim the rest of the seats and parcel shelf, and fix the ride height (springs are old ones, and it looks like an old school dragster, nose down and grumpy). Defo need wider outers on the wheels too, but that can wait. Almost there.

Attached File  IMG_2922 2.jpg   397.79K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_2921.jpeg   247.05K   3 downloads

#260 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 02:32 PM

Damn, that engine bay is just gorgeous, Sam!

Well, with the possible exception of those yellow horns anyway. :stirpot:

You're gonna need some kind of throttle-stop limiter thingy like Peewee 50's had... for when the young bloke eventually wears you down!

#261 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 02:38 PM

Ha ha - they are Amazon Hella items that turned up the wrong colour. I'll paint them eventually - will add to the list. 

#262 claysummers

claysummers

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,334 posts
  • Name:Clay
  • Car:186 FB Ute, 3.3 EK sedan

Posted 09 January 2024 - 03:03 PM

I’m with you on the sound deadening. People go nuts and end up adding unnecessary weight, not to mention cost. I’ve got a figure from somewhere that 60% panel cover is optimal. A builder on the EH forum had to remove a lot of his as the engineer said the car was over-weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#263 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 09 January 2024 - 03:17 PM

Yeah right - that makes sense. Mine has 2.5 boxes in it, including boot and doors, and yeah, those boxes are heavy! We will see if that does the job.

I’m with you on the sound deadening. People go nuts and end up adding unnecessary weight, not to mention cost. I’ve got a figure from somewhere that 60% panel cover is optimal. A builder on the EH forum had to remove a lot of his as the engineer said the car was over-weight.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#264 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 06:45 PM

The exhaust is in, or, was in ( :mellow: ), and the fellas did a good job. Twin 3in with hi-flow cats, under the diff, mild steel. It sounds great. And only eight bolts to remove, which turns out to be a good thing.

Attached File  IMG_3088.jpeg   188.19K   4 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3100.jpeg   279.53K   4 downloads

Got the carpet, belts, etc, in too

Attached File  IMG_3185.jpeg   236.17K   4 downloads

Buuuuttttt, the headers needed cutting up to fit properly - yes, the ones I had just had ceramic coated - and the only way to finish welding them is to remove them from the car. And on this car, that means removing the engine/box. FML. Give me strength.

Attached File  IMG_3192.jpeg   169.88K   3 downloads

They fit sooo much better, it's worth it, and I am finding and fixing little things as I go. But yeah, can't say it doesn't hurt, with the car so close to being finished, to have to do all this work. Once they are out, I will finish welding them up, get them ceramic coated, again, then bung it all back in. 

Build your own car they said. it will be fun they said...

#265 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,374 posts

Posted 02 February 2024 - 07:38 PM

Hey Laurie... Another LX with "Torx" strikers (I'm seeing these damn things everywhere now):

Smac-T-s-LX-Four-Door.jpg

#266 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 16 February 2024 - 09:39 AM

So with the effin' engine out a-effin-gain (I am clearly  still working through the frustration on that one), it was easier to address the fan box clearance issue (the fuel rail fuel hose was connecting). So good thing it had to come out. I cut out the offending piece, re fibreglassed, filled, painted and fitted, Dirtbag-style, minus the genius level. I had wanted to make it black rather than Barbados anyway, so yeah, yeah, all for the better etc. I have also decided to delete the stock heater box etc and go an electric demister which is on its way from Speedy Air, so blanked off the heater hole.

Attached File  IMG_3221.jpeg   155.73K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3243.jpeg   163.83K   2 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3250.jpeg   212.7K   2 downloads

Got the rear seatbelts in, fitted the Knox carpet and finished trimming the rear seats (I fixed that crease passenger side by bending the seat frame out a little, it was the wrong shape) and installed them. Got my door trims from Steve at Cools too, and in they went with new winder springs and spacers, water deflectors, etc. It smells delicious and new in the cabin. But still smells like a Torana - why they all smell like that I will never understand.

Attached File  IMG_3218.jpeg   241.5K   3 downloads

Got the headers welded by the exhaust shop, then ceramic coated again (FFS) by the legends at Hi Octane Coatings, then bolted them back on the engine, on which I also had fixed the weeping inlet manifold gaskets. So much easier out of the car.

Attached File  IMG_3247.jpeg   277.66K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3238 2.jpeg   324.76K   1 downloads

Next was some wiring adjustments and re-taping/routing/protecting while the engine was out, then rolled the whole thing back in, I am getting good at it with all the effin' practice... Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean...

Attached File  IMG_3251 2.jpeg   221.53K   2 downloads

Not much to go now, closer again, closer than ever. Hopefully rego time in March. But I have said that before.

#267 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 28 February 2024 - 11:04 AM

Funny how the closer you get to a project being finished, the further it feels away. 

Head down bum up the last coupla' weeks and, as annoying as the engine out drama was, it's a better car because of it. I had planned on fitting a Speedy Air CC1000 air con/electric demister set up, but changed my tune (it's for sale if anyone is after one) and fitted their smaller demist only electric jobbie. With the original heaterbox and cables out (and no heater hoses needed), it made for lots of room. I welded up a bracket from flat bar and stuck it in, wired it up and it works great. it has the defrost option, with a Y piece diverting air to the factory demisters with the push of a button, and I fitted the Torana vents for cabin air. It is a cabin-air-only option, so I have only tech screwed things in to see what the first drive is like before making it permanent. 

Attached File  IMG_3407.jpeg   504.21K   3 downloads

Then hooked up the engine again. I made up plates to blank the heater hose hole, pulled the guts out of the factory fan (I will replace the wiring grommet one day). 

Attached File  IMG_3441.jpeg   466.5K   2 downloads

Finished installing the door trims and stuck in the front seats, kick panels and console. I need to paint the new arm rest (only had three), however the console, other arm rests and sun visors were paint matched to the seat backs and it doesn't look right. So I will get the door top trim colour matched and do it again down the track. I also need a flat glovebox lid, as I can't get this one straight no matter how much sun/heat gun I give it. I can survive with it for now. But not for long!!

Attached File  IMG_3446.jpeg   210.25K   3 downloads

Attached File  IMG_3448.jpeg   217.81K   2 downloads

Annnddd, after 16 years (!!!) and all the dramas within that period - she is rego ready (old v new below). It's not totally finished (are they ever?), but enough to get on the road and see what teething issues there are. Then will widen wheels, paint the ashtray fascia the same colour, etc. I am going classic rego for it, Blue Slip happening today, hopefully plates by the weekend. A big thanks to all on here who have helped with this build and there's so many of you. It wouldn't have happened without this forum. 

Attached File  IMG_3449.jpeg   238.74K   2 downloads

Attached File  New Torrie.jpg   54.41K   3 downloads

Edited by SmacT, 28 February 2024 - 11:09 AM.

#268 FLY_LX

FLY_LX

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Car:LX sedan

Posted 28 February 2024 - 05:28 PM

awesome. well done, it looks mint.

#269 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 06:55 AM

Well done mate. I love the interior, that Chamois/Black trim that was around for some of LX (and late HJ and HX) is one of the nicest trim setups of that era especially with the D69, Q69 and Q37 models with the silver dash. I'm not a fan of the outside colour but you love it and that is all that matters! Looks awesome and tough.

#270 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 29 February 2024 - 12:22 PM

So awesome. What a ripper car and agree with yel327 that the Chamois trim with the black carpet & dash is really nice. One of my favourite combos also.

Congratulations on all your hard work. You really have to fight the whole way through with builds like this.

I guess we can look forward to seeing the car at Toranafest with its issued ironed out? Haha

#271 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 29 February 2024 - 12:40 PM

Did you mount the front seats directly to the floor pan steel or the sound deadener? 

#272 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 29 February 2024 - 03:25 PM

Thanks all.

Yep Heath, I am booked for Toranafest, be good to meet some forum members!

Hanra, I cut the stage two sound deadner around the seat feat, so it goes floor, stage one (foil) sound deadner, carpet, seat feet. On the front seats front section, I cut the overlapping carpet to fit over the seat feet. Not sure of that's correct, but that's what I did! Ha ha.

And Barbados isn't for everyone Yel, but as you said, it is for me! I like we all choose different stuff. And the interior came up even nicer than I thought it would, bent glovebox lid aside...

#273 racean69

racean69

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 781 posts
  • Name:Rod
  • Car:LH sedan

Posted 26 March 2024 - 06:37 PM

excellent Sam. you are giving me some much lacking motivation,

#274 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 12:33 PM

So, 'dem teething problems.

• Aftermarket flashy-looking but totes shit rad hoses popped off while idling in the garage, coolant everywhere. Replaced with rubber. Still finding splashes of coolant everywhere. Lucky no one was standing in front of it.

• Alternator not charging - some idiot (me) left a 5w excitor globe in the dash harness, rather than a 2W to suit the VT alternator and burned out the voltage regulator. Replaced it, running perfectly now.

• TPS and Air Temp sensor not working, easy to see with the Haltec on the computer. One had a dodgy earth, replaced the other.

• Car running super rich, 10:1 AFR, but left it for the dyno guys.

Off it went it went to the dyno - I was nervous. It couldn't have gone better though, car ran great, and 422hp at the treads with a flat torque curve is a good result. They only revved it to 6700rpm, and this engine can happily go to 8000rpm, so there's a bit more in it - but it's a road car, so happy to keep it safe.

Drove it home in morning peak hour traffic, sat on temp perfectly (ebay alloy radiator, AU fans and CVR EWP), nothing scraped, brakes were great, TKX shifts lovely, etc. Super happy how drivable it is for the power it has. Parked it in the garage, did some work, came back at lunch time for a lunchtime spin annnnddddd, it wouldn't start. No Spark. FFS these things test us? I suspect ignition module, but anyway, happy overall, if a little frustrated. Will get it going again and just drive and drive and drive.

Attached File  IMG_3461 2.jpg   92.62K   4 downloads

#275 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts

Posted 12 April 2024 - 06:25 PM

Stuck my spare ignition module in, fired straight up. Good start to the weekend.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users