LX project

• Please log in to reply
469 replies to this topic

#51 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:43 AM

That is not an Outrigger Bush.

The bottom two bushes in this pic are outrigger bushes.

http://www.kingswood...t-lh-lx-uc/FEK9

Hi Brad, yes the bushes in that link are the same ones as I last used however I spoke to Kingswood Country and they tell me the ones I have been sent are correct but are polyurethane ones (they say it's the only polyurethane bush in the burger with the lot kit).  Not sure why they changed BUT I can tell you they are a perfect fit (nice and tight in the k frame) and a breeze to install compared to normal.  Hopefully they last!!

I noticed in one of your photo's it appears (resolution is poor) there are two rag joints in the steering set up. I would remove at least one.

Cheers

Mark

Hi Mark,

You've got a keen eye....and spot on too.  For some reason the original old type rag coupler was in the normal place and further up the column the later rubber type coupler was replacing the knuckle.  I'm probably replacing both with knuckles when I swap over the rack from the original front end to the rebuilt one.

#52 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,839 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 05 April 2013 - 10:56 AM

Hi Brad, yes the bushes in that link are the same ones as I last used however I spoke to Kingswood Country and they tell me the ones I have been sent are correct but are polyurethane ones (they say it's the only polyurethane bush in the burger with the lot kit).  Not sure why they changed BUT I can tell you they are a perfect fit (nice and tight in the k frame) and a breeze to install compared to normal.  Hopefully they last!!

I think I ended up with the same bush in my kit, cant remember. I did not want to use anything else other then rubber, due to the high failure rates of poly type bushes. So I ended up having to purchase a front end mounting kit from Rare Spares for an LJ/LC as it used the correct rubber outrigger bush.

Edited by hanra, 05 April 2013 - 10:56 AM.

#53 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 07:31 PM

So got tired of frigging around with the commodore factory trans pipes and can't trust them not to leak so I bit the bullet and ordered everything I'll need from Summit.  Got an adapter to get it over to AN fittings and then braided AN line and fittings to get it to a trans cooler I also ordered.  While there I also got all the fittings and piping to hook up the remote oil filter for the Moroso sump....and some oil and water senders and gauges :)

Things are still moving forward with the body work.  Should have it all back and hung in a month or so.  No rush, I've got plenty to do with the front end, rear end, engine bay, interior. Well everywhere. haha

Does anyone know if you can buy Dynamat online? Is it the best stuff to get? I've read here of folks getting a different brand...

Thanks.

#54 _likatiger_

_likatiger_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 08:02 PM

Great build you are doing and cannot wait to see this on the road and finished. Keep up the great work.

#55 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 11 April 2013 - 10:03 PM

Thanks Jason.

Thanks also to Dattoman for the new handle :)

I found some pics in my phone which I like so I thought I'd dump them here   :driving:

Attached File  IMG_1445.JPG   24.06K   12 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1446.JPG   25.49K   11 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1448.JPG   23.43K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1449.JPG   21.28K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1450.JPG   26.21K   11 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1452.JPG   24.62K   12 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1454.JPG   12.56K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1455.JPG   44.97K   12 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1456.JPG   22.49K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1459.JPG   40.86K   11 downloads

Thanks.

#56 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 11 April 2013 - 11:37 PM

Looking great mate. Try this for an alternative to dynamat - http://www.lizardskin.com/

The hotrod guys rave about it, it works out similar in price to dynamat and is apparently as effective, but easier to apply. I am going down this path, but haven't yet. Worth a look anyway!

Buying it from the Aussie importer is a bit cheaper than os as its very heavy and shipping costs a fortune.

#57 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2013 - 09:10 PM

Is that stuff spray on? Surely it can't be as good as Dynamat or Resomat? The resomat can be bought from Tru-Fit carpets and appears slightly cheaper than Dynamat. Not sure on it's quality. If you read the websites for some of these products you'd think they can cure cancer by the end of it!!

Anyway, I've been collecting a few bits and pieces and ordering some parts.

Ordered new tail lights, few gauges, some chrome bits for the engine bay and chrome door strikers, GTS mirrors, new radiator, AU electric fans, 2 x steering knuckles (expensive!) and sent the PCM off to be re-tuned and have the VATS removed and a few other things tweaked to suit my setup (speedo calibration, fan on/off temps etc).  Should get that back soon.  Still hunting about for a lower bonnet catch and starting to make plans for remaking the fuel & brake lines.  Seriously, I'd take the car to a shop and let them do the brake lines but I'm terrified of a clown doing the job and scratching everything and running it all wrong.  Especially seeing as though the engine will be in the engine bay. Even though I've never done brake lines before (done a few flares at trade school 17 years ago haha) I can trust myself to do the job with pride and care.

Also been cleaning up the fuel tank and modified the pickup and added a homemade internal swirl pot/baffle type deal & a return line to suit the LS1 and MSD pump/filter I've got.  Thought I had some pics of it but can't find them  :(

Thanks.

#58 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 910 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 16 April 2013 - 10:15 PM

Yep, spray on and claimed to be as good. It's filled with micro balloons, and pretty amazing stuff. But, as I said, I haven't actually used it yet so can't agree or not with the testimonials. I'll give it a go anyway!

You're making some excellent progress, be done in no time.

#59 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 02 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

So, the hanging panels and doors have been getting cleaned up by the beater over the last few weeks.

Some new door skins and a fair few rust and previous bog repairs have been cut out of the doors and guards.

He also trimmed the front edge off the guards to allow bigger rubber and neatened off the lips.  All holes in the guards, nose cone and boot lid have been filled.  It's all coming along really nicely.

Attached File  IMG_1476.JPG   31.65K   9 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1477.JPG   28.29K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1479.JPG   23.58K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1480.JPG   33.45K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1481.JPG   21.01K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1482.JPG   21.04K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1486.JPG   34.47K   12 downloads

I've also dropped the motor and k-frame back out of it - hopefully for the last time!

Thanks.

#60 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 03 May 2013 - 09:10 AM

Great progress will keep an eye on this one, keep up the great work

#61 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:37 PM

Been collecting a few bits and pieces for the torana.

Lowered springs and shocks.

Attached File  IMG_1507.JPG   235.44K   8 downloads

Auto cooler and plumbing

Attached File  IMG_1510.JPG   260.9K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1508.JPG   183K   8 downloads

GTS mirrors

Attached File  IMG_1500.JPG   197.12K   8 downloads

#62 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:43 PM

Modded the passenger side extractor - for the last time!!

Attached File  IMG_1512.JPG   207.23K   8 downloads

Did a bit more on the heater box mod to clear the intake.

Attached File  IMG_1513.JPG   202.95K   11 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1517.JPG   189.34K   9 downloads

Just need to rub it back flat, then give it a paint.

Also trimmed the heater outlets to clear everything.

Attached File  IMG_1527.JPG   203.43K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1529.JPG   177.96K   8 downloads

Will be finishing heater box, installing heater, then motor and box back in and start wiring it up.

#63 _uctorry_

_uctorry_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:53 PM

You got to be happy with the work so far

Looking good mate

cant wait to see more pickies

#64 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 02:55 PM

Have you thought about rolling a bead in those heater core pipes to help hold the hoses securely, since they are kind of short now ?

#65 _Horse088_

_Horse088_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 06:32 PM

Been looking at wheels and need a bit of help.

For the front, does anyone know if a 17 x 7 with 4.5" backspace with a 215/45/R17 will fit without having to trim anything on the front guards or in the wheel wells?

For the rears, I've been told that a 17 x 8 with 4.75" backspace with 235/45/R17 will fit no worries...anyone gone bigger or know if this is true?

Thanks.

Hey man,

Iv got 8in rims on the front and 9.5in on the rear  and iv got r18

did you steal my colour?    what is it from?

#66 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2013 - 11:56 PM

Have you thought about rolling a bead in those heater core pipes to help hold the hoses securely, since they are kind of short now ?

I hadn't but that's a good idea. thanks.

Hey man,

Iv got 8in rims on the front and 9.5in on the rear  and iv got r18

did you steal my colour?    what is it from?

Nah, I didn't steal your colour. This is alto grey metallic...it's a current model Holden colour.  Love your car by the way.

#67 _Horse088_

_Horse088_
  • Guests

Posted 06 May 2013 - 04:56 PM

Nah, I didn't steal your colour. This is alto grey metallic...it's a current model Holden colour.  Love your car by the way.

Haha all good, mine an audi colour. I gotta mate with an lx torana, and hes got 12in rims on the rear of his car and mine is 9.5in, so you can pretty much put any size on your car.

Look foward to seeing some pics of your car finished as ours will look very similar!

You are putting flares on it right?

#68 RIM-010

RIM-010

DON'T PANIC

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,076 posts
  • Name:Tim
  • Car:LJ 2 Door - HQ Premier
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 May 2013 - 06:49 PM

I'd assume that this one is staying flareless (also known as 'good looking'), because it's been painted and the guards still haven't been taken to with an axe... 

Love the work you've done, and I love the colour :spoton: Keep it up.

#69 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 07 May 2013 - 08:12 PM

Haha, I think flares have an awesome fat look but it's not what I'm going for with this car...

Got some more progress, fitted the new trans line fittings.  I'm unsure where I'll route these and the cooler...maybe down the back or the front - not important for now.

Attached File  IMG_1556.JPG   212.46K   12 downloads

Painted and fitted up the modified heater box and fan panel....

Attached File  IMG_1570.JPG   186.92K   9 downloads

And installed the engine/trans/k-frame and wiring. Hopefully for the last time.

Attached File  IMG_1576.JPG   211.58K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1578.JPG   221.96K   10 downloads

Attached File  IMG_1580.JPG   217.83K   9 downloads

Next jobs, is to mod the commodore booster, start work on the front end, change out the diff and get it rolling ready to start hanging some panels :)

Thanks

Edited by LS1rana, 07 May 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#70 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2013 - 07:45 AM

Coming along nice it looks like :)

#71 _FERGnz_

_FERGnz_
  • Guests

Posted 08 May 2013 - 03:17 PM

engine bay looks like it has more room for the LS1 than a SBC. have you had to do any changes to the trans tunnel???

#72 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:09 AM

Hi ferg,

The engine bay shot is deceptive. There really is bugger all room. One thing I've noticed about photo's on the internet is that everything looks bigger in the pics than they really are.  For example there is 250mm from the rad support to the throttle body but it looks like much more in the pic.  Once radiator/fans are in there will be bugger all space for the intake.  Firewall clearance is minimal (about 10-15mm) to the trimmed lower lip for the block/heads.  The chassis rail lips have been trimmed too so the gap to the heads is deceptive and you can see the passenger side extractor sits pretty close.  

Speaking of extractors, what a bitch.  I had everything bolted in as per the above and was pretty happy with how it all fitted but not totally comfortable with the clearance for the passenger side extractor to the k-frame.  I had 5mm at one point and I could adjust it to about 8mm with moving the extractors, engine mounting etc but that's rubbish.  So I bit the bullet and dropped the lot out again (insert swear words) but I'm really glad I did.  Cut and welded the passenger extractor and FINALLY I am 100% happy with it.  Now have a real 10mm all around and it all looks much nicer than it was.  Very glad I went ahead and fixed it all now.  I can't believe they were $900 to buy.   :banghead:  :thebird:

Got word from the body man that everything bar the doors is going to the booth for paint early next week so that fits in nicely with my progress.  I'm going to run all my wiring along the inner guards and through the lower rad support panel and before the nose and guards are bolted on.  I was going to mount the battery in the boot but I think I've changed my mind.  I think I'll have it in it's normal spot as I don't mind the look and with hidden wiring will still look slick.

Thanks.

#73 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:17 AM

For example there is 250mm from the rad support to the throttle body but it looks like much more in the pic.  Once radiator/fans are in there will be bugger all space for the intake.

Don't worry....there is plenty of room :D

2013-05-09171502_zps37f74710.jpg

#74 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:31 AM

Hi Jeff,

Your car is an animal mate.

I was talking to a mate the other day and told him what I'm doing and he starts telling me about some red ls1 hatch in the USA some bloke was telling him about and how there are videos of it all over youtube. World famous torana  :party:

#75 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 May 2013 - 10:37 AM

Ha ha, that is pretty cool !   A small world sometimes I guess. :)

I took it out to lunch today actually....just a nice easy car to drive around really...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users