1973 LJ torana problems

hand brake heater dash

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 _blair_

_blair_
  • Guests

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:13 PM

hey guy i have recently brought a 1973 LJ and it has a few problem that im not sure about, where abouts is the switch that operates the handbrake light on the dash?

where can i get rear tail lights from? the brake light bulb consently falls out

does anyone know a good place to source heaters from? my car is missing the whole heater unit

cheers

#2 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:38 PM

Hi mate ,,,,,I'll answer the handbrke switch one...the switch is a fairly agricultural thing..its inside the handbrake boot, where the actual handbrake is. i.e. pull back the trim from around the handbrake and you;ll see it.

My experience is with LCs , assume LJs are the same

#3 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:47 PM

The other two bits you'll most likely have to buy off someone who is wrecking one.

Heater boxes aren't cheap.

Make sure you get an LJ one because as far as I am aware there are some differences.

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:49 PM

Can do rear tail lights if your interested

#5 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 07:53 PM

Your better of buying a brand new heater box to dont stuff around with second hand ones

#6 sibhs

sibhs

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Martin
  • Car:LJ Coupe S

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:34 PM

The new heater box's are only a caseing, you still need the fan motor, fan cover and little radiator.
If you want your car to look original then put the heater unit back in otherwise some people use an electric heater under the dash.
The genuine heaters have always caused problems with leaks.
Marty

#7 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:43 PM

Your better of buying a brand new heater box to dont stuff around with second hand ones

My bad, I didn't know you could buy new ones.

#8 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 24 April 2013 - 10:55 PM

My bad, I didn't know you could buy new ones.

You can but they dont look quite like the original one craig

#9 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 25 April 2013 - 11:46 PM

Blair

Your brake light bulb constantly falling out sounds more like a faulty bulb holder not the tail light housing.

#10 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 26 April 2013 - 06:56 AM

What's the problem with the handbrake light ? If the light is on all the time, try disconnecting the switch on the brake junction block under the bonnet.

The BRAKE light on the dash has 2 jobs, 1 is handbrake & the 2nd is pressure differential between front & rear.

Dr Terry

#11 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 04:55 PM

Dr T.......far be it from me to doubt your knowledge....but on the LJ 82911 & L6 wiring drawing.... the handbrake light is only connected to the handbrake switch??? how does it know about press. diff?......or are 73 models different to LC and early LJ??

thanks

#12 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:22 PM

I'm quite sure that all Toranas from 1970 onwards had the pressure differential switch, check your car's underbonnet.

Could it be than NOT all Toranas from that era had a handbrake light. Maybe only GTR & SL models got a handbrake light & the wiring diagram for your S is showing only the pressure switch, because the car has no handbrake light ? Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram. It it genuine GM-H ?

Dr Terry

#13 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 28 April 2013 - 05:30 PM

Hi, my 1971 LC does not have a handbrake light, the light on the dash is for the pressure differential

Cheers
Glenn

#14 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:05 PM

I'm quite sure that all Toranas from 1970 onwards had the pressure differential switch, check your car's underbonnet.

Could it be than NOT all Toranas from that era had a handbrake light. Maybe only GTR & SL models got a handbrake light & the wiring diagram for your S is showing only the pressure switch, because the car has no handbrake light ? Can you post a pic of the wiring diagram. It it genuine GM-H ?

Dr Terry

Dr Terry

The brake fail warning switch wasn't introduced until 1971.

Early production LC Torana didn't have a handbrake warning light switch as standard equipment. Only SL & GTR had one as standard.

Edited by S pack, 28 April 2013 - 06:05 PM.

#15 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 06:35 PM

Dr T & S Pack( and me )....

Probably all all on the money...sort off.

I had a look at the wiring diagram from this forum..Reported as LC only.
The handbrake light is only illuminated by the operation of the handbrake.

Also has a look at an original ( Aug 72 print, reprinted in May 73, Nov 74, Jan 76) Scientific Publication manual.....there are 4 separate drawings ....

For LC with standard equipt , it shows the Handbrake light controlled by handbrake switch only
For LC with opt. equipt. and GTR it, shows the Handbrake light controlled by handbrake switch only.
For LJ with standard equipt , it shows the Handbrake light ( now called handbrake and dual brake system warning lamp ) controlled by handbrake switch AND/OR the pressure switch.
For LJ with 0pt. equipt & GTR it shows the Handbrake light ( now called handbrake and dual brake system warning lamp ) controlled by handbrake switch AND/OR the pressure switch.

Thus, depending on how much credence you put in that book...LCs were without the dual brake pressure monitoring switch, whereas LJs had it.

p.s. had a look at my 12/70 GTR, there is no wiring associated with the master cylinder area.

#16 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:22 PM

Col

Don't place too much credence in the wiring diagrams. The LC diagrams weren't updated for the brake fail warning switch in 1971 LC's.

I must correct an error. In Post #14 I stated that 'Early production LC Torana didn't have a handbrake warning light switch as standard equipment'.

No LC Torana S had a handbrake warning light switch as standard equipment. I don't know when or if it ever became standard equipment in LJ Torana S but it wasn't standard equipment in 1972 LJ Torana S either.

#17 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:29 PM

no probs Dave...all good info, in my book.

Looks like the handbrake warning light was the old school version of, say, Bluetooth. i.e.
,,,,,"yes sir, the new model even has a Handbrake warning light, ..but off course, not in the base model....you will need to go up to the "better" models to have that feature".......blah blah...etc etc

#18 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 07:52 PM

Easy fixed Col, the handbrake warning light switch in Torana S was a Dealer fitted option, as was the boot lamp which was also standard equipment on SL & 82911 models.

There was/is money to be made in Dealer fitted options & accessories.

Edited by S pack, 28 April 2013 - 07:54 PM.

#19 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 08:07 PM

p.s. just referred to Norm's bible book....page 65.

The handbrake light for LCs is shown as part of the accessories you could option in.( assumed to be standard on GTR ) .." Handbrake lamp" - light on the dash warns that the handbrake must be disengaged before driving away"

where as

on page 108,at the start of the LJ section, the generic LJ blurb says...." dual circuit brakes ensure that if there is a pressure loss on one circuit, the other will still pull you up. At the same time a warning light flashes on your dash.".

make of that what you will...

sorry Dave...your post #18 was not seen, as I was 1 finger typing. ...nuff said.

#20 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 28 April 2013 - 11:39 PM

Guys, there is a lot of guessing going on here.

First of all, the brake pressure differential switch was introduced during mid-LC production on all model Toranas. Anybody disagree with that ?

I guessed around 1970, however it appears this was early 1971, It isn't that important, what's a few months.

From day 1, LC GTR & SL both had a handbrake warning light, while S & the base model did not. 

It also appears that this didn't change with the intro of the pressure switch. S & the base model still didn't get a handbrake light switch until LH intro. Does anyone have any proof otherwise ?

Can I ask blair again, what is the problem. Is the light on all the time or does it not work at all ?

Dr Terry

P.S. Also another golden rule, never rely on non-genuine workshop manuals for model update info.

#21 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 08:12 AM

Guys, there is a lot of guessing going on here.

From day 1, LC GTR & SL both had a handbrake warning light, while S & the base model did not. 

It also appears that this didn't change with the intro of the pressure switch. S & the base model still didn't get a handbrake light switch until LH intro. Does anyone have any proof otherwise ?

Dr Terry

P.S. Also another golden rule, never rely on non-genuine workshop manuals for model update info.

Dr Terry

Guessing???

Are you suggesting the handbrake warning light wasn't an option in Torana S ?

#22 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:11 AM

Dr Terry

Guessing???

Are you suggesting the handbrake warning light wasn't an option in Torana S ?

No, I'm suggesting that someone is guessing that the car in question does not have a pressure switch yet does have a handbrake light. All he has to do is look under the bonnet.

BTW, I believe that the handbrake warning light (on S & base models) was only available as a genuine dealer-fitted accessory & not a factory-fitted option, a small yet important distinction.

Dr Terry

#23 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 10:18 AM

No, I'm suggesting that someone is guessing that the car in question does not have a pressure switch yet does have a handbrake light. All he has to do is look under the bonnet.

BTW, I believe that the handbrake warning light (on S & base models) was only available as a dealer-fitted accessory & not a factory-fitted option, a small yet important distinction.

Dr Terry

Ahhh OK.

It's an LJ so it will have the brake pressure switch.

In post #18 I stated the handbrake warning switch was a Dealer fitted option in S models. Is accessory the correct terminology for something that was Dealer fitted?

BTW Blair, apologies for the thread steal.

Cheers

Dave.

#24 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 29 April 2013 - 11:53 AM

In post #18 I stated the handbrake warning switch was a Dealer fitted option in S models. Is accessory the correct terminology for something that was Dealer fitted?

Cheers
Dave.

Yes, factory-fitted option or dealer-fitted accessory are the terms used by the dealers. With things like motorised heaters (pre-1970) & car radios they can be very often the same part & you can't tell the difference. However with smaller ones like handbrake lights, glovebox & boot lights etc. they were only ever available as a dealer-fitted accessory, unless they were already standard equipment.

Factory options were things like automatic or 4-speed boxes, front disc brakes etc. which would not have been practical to carry out at the dealer level, post-production. 

Dr Terry

#25 _blair_

_blair_
  • Guests

Posted 29 April 2013 - 06:24 PM

sorry guys im new to this site didnt realise so many people had posted,

where do i buy new heaters from can someone send me a link?

we cant find any switch that would operate the hand brake light so i dont know if my car has had it removed or never had one to begin with

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: hand brake, heater, dash

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users