157 replies to this topic

#1 hainzy

hainzy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 10:55 AM

Shit. Hot off the press - Ford to close Geelong and Broadmeadows plants by 2016. Im always a Holden guy at heart, but that news still sucks big time. Sad day for Australia really.

#2 _monman71_

_monman71_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:04 AM

The thing that sucks is the history there, I think the government has a bit to blame with tariffs etc

#3 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 11:26 AM

http://www.abc.net.a...-plants/4707960

I am not into Fords, but still a shame you guys are loosing the manufacturing base and everything else, after being there since 1925..

#4 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:00 PM

There will be many more to follow

#5 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:29 PM

It comes as no surprise really, only a matter of time.

We lost a lot of our whitegoods and electricals back in the 90's, our refineries are disappearing, the car companies now following.  

Looks like Keating's prediction of us turning into a banana republic is starting to come to fruition (excuse the pun).

s

#6 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 12:44 PM

Yeah I agree Gene, I think Holden's day's must be numbered too..   with the Commodore (the only model in the range that's remotely Australian designed and built) reportedly ending soon, what would be left for the employees to do?  except for drive them off the Boats.......  damn shame  ....       Strange isn't it,  that there's not much need for a Big Car in the City,,,, And there's not much need for a Small Car in the Country ..... VW have the right idea, they make car's and commercial vehicles for every want, need or requirement... I think Holden may have missed a perfect opportunity to profit from the Mining & Construction that goes on in this Country, but I guess unfortunately Toyota in particular got rich..... 2 Cents worth :nopity:

#7 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:32 PM

both ford and holden will be gone soon suprised they have lasted this long manufacturing in this country is dead in the water...

#8 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:42 PM

both ford and holden will be gone soon suprised they have lasted this long manufacturing in this country is dead in the water...

And why? Because of Paul Keating's micro economic reforms! Lowering and or complete removal of import tariffs and all the level playing field BS.

This country is slowly becoming a society of service industries. Once we lose all our value added industries we may as well pull our pants down, bend over and let China and India etc etc the rest of the world......... us.

#9 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:47 PM

A sad day, and I'm sorry but this government has done nothing to help the situation.

#10 A9X

A9X

A fortunate run

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,024 posts
  • Name:Welby
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 May 2013 - 01:49 PM

somebody voted for them

#11 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:11 PM

It has happened in the USA and it will happen here. Just a few years later.

The yanks are really in the poo and I hope lessons are learnt quickly so we can at least stay afloat in it.

Sad news all this, I dont hate Fords that much.

#12 _Quagmire_

_Quagmire_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:15 PM

people voted for keating too...and howard notice how they did nothing to stop it...if anything they went along with the policy
it's been a long time coming but most of the population just wants cheap goods they don't give a rat's where it was made
holden and toyota are next...

And why? Because of Paul Keating's micro economic reforms! Lowering and or complete removal of import tariffs and all the level playing field BS.
This country is slowly becoming a society of service industries. Once we lose all our value added industries we may as well pull our pants down, bend over and let China and India etc etc the rest of the world......... us.

what did they call it ...the new world order or some bs....
yeah the order in which they bend this country over and have a shot

#13 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:19 PM

This was expected.

Fords will still be sold here after 2016, they just wont be built here.

#14 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:28 PM

somebody voted for them

Not that it matters what Government, but didn't they sell their souls to the Greens to get in?

#15 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 02:34 PM

Shit. Hot

#16 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 03:58 PM

Where is John Button now.....???

#17 v6 torana

v6 torana

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Name:Peter

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:04 PM

Turning in his grave.........

#18 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:06 PM

The way this govt is going we won't make anything here soon.

We all cry about prices and wages etc, but no one gives two hoots about O/S manufacturing industry.

#19 v6 torana

v6 torana

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 494 posts
  • Name:Peter

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:26 PM

This was a clear sign of the beginning of the end (driving one at the moment).............

Attached File  Pic_0523_107.jpg   297.36K   6 downloads

Attached File  Pic_0523_108.jpg   184.3K   4 downloads

Attached File  Pic_0523_109.jpg   427.47K   4 downloads

#20 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:28 PM

Don't want to be a nark.....but time for a reality check.......how many people have actually bought a local Holden or local Ford in the last few years.?

From what I see, everyone is parading around in their new Toyota, Mazda, VW or whatever.
All very spec'd up and Euro chic, or Japanese reliable etc.

Forget blaming the government ( don't care which one)..its about Aussies not actually buying Aussie made cars.
Sure the previous governments didn't help with tariff reductions etc...but the current model Commodores particularly are exceptional value for money, don't use that much fuel and look good.
BUT...people don't seem to want them.
The local manufacturers just can justify making a small car to match the imports...our population just isn't big enough to ever get the development costs back. Even if they tried, the Aussie dollar is so strong ( only because of the rescources we have and the fact that the US is such a basket case)they they couldn't compete anyway.

End of rant..
Just my 3 pesos worth

#21 _Red One_

_Red One_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:40 PM

I brought the brand new series II VE. There was no other choice.

Got a Holden Jackaroo (dont know if imported) and my cars before that were Holden.

#22 _oz772_

_oz772_
  • Guests

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:45 PM

Turning in his grave.........

Yep.

Australia actually has the lowest tariffs/subsidies on motor vehicles among all auto manufacturing countries in the world. Hence, it has really been a free-for-all for any company wishing to sell (dump) cars into the market. For a small population, the choice is massive. Holden and Ford to an extent have been hamstrung by the decisions of their parent companies in product availability. But further, there is a very active social media campaign against buying local motor vehicles, which is stoked by some areas of the press (Fairfax...). Many youngsters who know nothing other than service industries, who have no idea of an holistic approach to an economy, and who will whinge very, very loudly when their service jobs are gone as the world moves away from the Australian dollar, are very active in writing absolute tripe about Australian cars, but it is published and seems to gain legs. Some of the comments are so incorrect it is laughable, yet they get published. Inevitably Holden will close; in some ways, I dare say the sooner the better to be honest so that the mess starts getting cleaned up ASAP rather than dragging on.

Edited by oz772, 23 May 2013 - 04:46 PM.

#23 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:22 PM

pretty much summed it up mate when the government give holden a bail out package why the hell where they buying other makes from elsewhere?? seemed very stupid to me you give them money in one hand then buy from makers that are killing the australian car industry...oh and doesnt matter who is in government they are all lieing cheating pricks that dont give a fkuc about you or me they only care about themselves....

Edited by bullitljv8, 23 May 2013 - 07:27 PM.

#24 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:47 PM

Chinese goods cheap.

Clever Aussie buy plenty.

He can afford to. He has good wage.

No Aussie want to work work for 7 dollar an hour.

Aussie labour very high.

Why for you wonder Aussie manufacturing die?

#25 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,001 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 23 May 2013 - 07:55 PM

The solution is easy.
But I can't tell yoose now.
If I do, Mr Rabbit will jump on it and be the new president.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users