Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,760 posts
  • Name:Mort
  • Car:74 LH SL/R 4.2, 75 LH 4 door 186
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 June 2013 - 06:15 PM

Yeh it was yesterday it's back up today.

#27 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 05 June 2013 - 09:14 PM

Just remember, these beasts only have a towing capacity of 1590 KG. Which isn't much when you consider most car trailers weigh around 600 KG.

Where does that figure come from? I didn't think Holden stated tow capacities for vehicles of that era, leaving the maximum to the lesser of the tow coupling or the weight rule.

That figure comes from Hayman Reece. That's the limit of their towbars. I'm sure it's also in one of my original manuals I have here.

#28 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 06 June 2013 - 07:16 AM

Hey, if it moves... it's not overloaded! :thebird:

#29 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 June 2013 - 08:16 PM

frOckin Kiwi's.

Bruce Highway is littered with the bastards towing there 9000ft caravans with a commy........

Edited by Bomber Watson, 06 June 2013 - 08:17 PM.

#30 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:16 AM

I red an article in a magazine some time ago about moving the top control arm mounts on the chassis to get the cars to steer better, which I believe something similar was done to the Group C Camaro's in the late 70's early 80's.  Can anyone shed some light on the subject?

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:39 AM

Sounds like the same trick used on the Toranas, lowering the mounting point of the upper control arms to get better camber gain. Yanks call it the Guldstrand mod after the guy who first started doing it or something.
http://www.pozziraci...nsion_geome.htm

Not sure there is enough room on a full sized Holden to do this, maybe extended ball joints would work better.

#32 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 09:03 PM

I like the way the HZs steer. 27mm front sway bar and one a bit thicker than standard on the back, some decent springs and they turn in really well.

I've got a 27mm front swaybar and a solid mount Kmac rear swaybar with boxed lower control arms on the back of my sedan with 215s on 7" rims and it corners like it's on rails.

#33 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:48 AM

I'm not sure, but I think the mount is moved back to increase caster, because in the story it mentioned that power steering will be definitely needed.

#34 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,156 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:25 AM

Some of the US models have the upper control arms mounted on an angle which would increase caster as the suspension compresses (and most cars are lowered to begin with), I guess you could also mount them a little further back but again there wouldn't really be enough room for that on a Holden. I think some of their aftermarket arms build in more caster, much like changing from LX to UX arms.

If you have RTS caster isn't really an issue as the upper arms are already mounted further back for better caster, you can get plenty out of it and as GTR-U9X says they do handle fine (when set up properly).

#35 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:44 PM

Also I went with what Lovells recommended as far as suspension bushes are concerned with both my HJ panel van and the HZ sedan, a mix of rubber and urethane. The front got all urethane on the upper arms and rubber on the rearward bushes and urethane on the forward bushes on the lower arms.

The panno had all urethane on the re-tempered leaves, and the sedan has rubber uppers and urethane lowers on the back.

Pretty happy with those set-ups, but if you drive alot on corrugated roads rubber is probably better to reduce the dreaded chassis cracking.

#36 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:30 PM

I've got a mix of rubber and urethane in my HJs front, and all rubber out back, GTS 25mm front bar (no rear) and have watched many a kid in a jappa spin out in my rear view mirror... trying to keep up with me. I also boxed the rear trailing arms, surprising how much it changed doing that... and didn't cost me a cent.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users