Spot welder

fitting panels and spot welds

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 03:18 AM

Doing some metal termite work and have a few 1/4 panels and such that require a lot of spot welds. Don't want to be using mig  as its in hard to get spots (lots of them) too messy and just too much work cleaning up and getting it looking good. Even though some you can't see them I prefer to get a spot welder and do it back to factory.

So anyone have any buy recommendations from personal experience? Obviously need something small and with lots of optional arms (offsets, length, span etc) The only units I have ever seen where industrial workshop types that are big beefy buggers. Obviously its tight, awkward in area's down around the tail lights and beaver etc. Doing spots on the new battery tray, sill panels so flexibility on getting into area's is the key.

#2 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 06:38 AM

I have the Clark series hand held spot welder... I works very well and can get different tips... It aint cheap but worth it...

I bought one of thoses cheapies off ebay... Piece of crap....

http://www.gmh-toran...n-lj-gtr/page-2

Have a look at the post about the rear window sill,,There is a u-tube link showing the spot welder in use.. Im using a optional tip for this.

Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 05 July 2013 - 06:40 AM.

#3 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2013 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Mike the Clark sized unit looks reasonable and most importantly has a variety of options on the arms for those hard to get odd shaped welds. Plug welds no matter how you do it never are 100% and avoiding thinning metal weld clean-ups is well worth a lot of money in capital cost.

Glad to see it works through your panel bond as I don't want any rust forming between panels. Going to extreme lengths to blast, drown in paint  and seal all joins and inner unseen metal that holden never did touch (hence why we have rust in torries).

Would have loved to find local electrostatic paint bath for submerging the whole shell and coating 100% of the car but have not found a place that does it. Makes you sick to see the crazy poor patch jobs people hide under a mountain of bog.

For me with nos panel fitment has to look factory, as I don't have an endless supply of panels and don't want them butchered. It kills me to have to flare this one.

Would never waste my time buying Chinese rubbish for something like this. Far better to spend the $$ now than be a cheap ass and get something that can't do a good job and leads to frustration. Have a few machines coming for demo on Monday all under $2.5k so will make a choice if something good is in the demo machines they bring.

post-8224-0-72703600-1372935131.jpg

Edited by LXSS350, 05 July 2013 - 05:51 PM.

#4 jaselx

jaselx

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 46 posts
  • Name:J
  • Car:SS hatch

Posted 05 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Interested in seeing some more photos of the hatch minus the quarter panel if you have them. I don't think I've seen any pictures of this area before.

#5 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2013 - 01:41 AM

I only took a couple. I will take some next week as I am giving the brain a car free weekend.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users