10/70 LC RALLEY RED XU-I RUST/GAP REPAIRS

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#26 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:52 PM

Hi all...

I contacted the owner, he came over,, I gave him the wire wheel and pointed to the RH door sill and said " go for it"... and you wouldnt of guessed.. More bog covering rust holes.. They didint even attempt to fix.

I then pointed to the RH cowl end.. At least they tried to fix this . shit job and all.. They did leave holes..to be expected... I then said to do the LH one... even worse... They didnt fix the inner seal..

Do u like how they shoved a piece of metal in the LH cowl end and welded it up... Lucky we got to it as it would of been a mess in a few years... The RH cowl end seal has a hole in it as well.. water leaking everyware in the car me thinks.

Any way the good news is that we had a GOOD look throught the car, top and bottom.. inside and out.. took ages.. with a torch, scraper and a scrib to poke. No rust.. a little surface, thats to be expected..

The rear end is fine.. They put a new boot floor in and did a good job..They didnt do it :). Rear beaver is fine.. infact the whole rear end is ok.. wont need touching, The guard bottoms have been done properly.. Alls good there.

I advised him to dig out ALL the old seam sealer and sandblast/por 15 inside the wheel arches to outer panels.. its cracked.... he will...

The RH door sill will need replacing as the pics show..holes and bog..

The LH door sill is ok..will need a internal blast/clean and por 15/oil...its in ok condition... wont have to come off....

The inner door sills to floor pan are good.

So all told.. Just replacing the WHOLE RH door sill from rear wheel arch to sill end.. As I have done before and clean inside rear panel area..

He has a donour for a cowl.. I will take off whole cowl, sandblast/por 15 in the wet well, seal up the inner seal properly then spot weld the new cowl on... Wont even know its been done.

So not too bad really... Im happy that he has  agreed to get right... Ill do it properly for him I dont and wont cut corners. I was prepared to give him his deposit back and put back together if he was wanting me to do a "bodge job"...Im not interested in cutting corners for a dollar.. and think of the next guy... Its not me...

.... It wont be too hard and wont be too expensive...

He has agreed to do some dirty work... Brings the cost down..

I braced it ready to do the work Monday.. should take about a month..

Just another Torana to repaire really...

I have fixed/saved/restored 5 Toranas since I finnished the repairs on mine..... Maybee Ill get time for mine.. One day

But Im happy keeping people happy :)

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 12 July 2013 - 05:53 PM.

#27 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 05:58 PM

You have to tell him mate, its up to him what he does with the info.

Hes cool all sorted.. Hes realistic..

Best to be upfront and honest, so tell the owner what you have discovered.  (he probably knowns that the car has these hidden problems).

The car needs  to be fully stripped and repaired to fix it properly.

I suggest showing the car owner the problems and re-negiotating your quote..

Done

Time to get that car blasted and fixed properly. 

I don't think you can just fix one area - where do u stop ? 

Or just do minimum to bandaid and sell the car to someone else - but be honest when u sell it.

Wont do a bodge job..aint worth the effort and its not to bad.. really.

#28 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

i sold the car to then my ex worker for 22k it cost me 18k and 2k in travel to pick it up, he then sold the car for 35k once finished not 50k someone is talking shit there.

the paint on the car was pretty good for what i remember, at the time i offered to get new guards for the then owner, i do have pics of the car somewhere but my compuror shit its self and i lost alot of stuff

cheers gong

Punch the guy for me that fixed it... Old pics would be nice... Only know what I was told about the price.. Not really my concern.. Ill fix properly any way..Its old news now.

#29 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:07 PM

Looks like it was a near basket case before it was trowelled up.

I reckon it could soak up 30k in labour at a pro shop without even blinking.

No wonder you flipped it John....what a nightmare.

You are keener than me, Mike...you wanna be careful you don't get burned on this one.

30k... yep and all they would do is slap some more bog on.... Hence why I did my own.. even though I wasnt sure.. I gave it a go and looky now.. Im very confident around these cars.. easy peezy to fix.. They all rust in the same spots, Just depends on how much..Takes the same time to fix.

Im yet to meet anyone who has been 100%.. I mean 100% happy with the so called "proshops"... I a story about my brothers #32 XC COBRA that was supposidly fixed by a "proshop" 15 years ago at a cost of 18k.. all they did was pop, I mean literly pop rivet some patches over the holes,, and you guessed it... Lots of bog...

I will be fixing that one day..

One reason why I did my own repairs.. could be any worse than the "proshops"...

Thast enough dribble for one day..

Mike

#30 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

I have fixed/saved/restored 5 Toranas since I finnished the repairs on mine..... Maybee Ill get time for mine.. One day

But Im happy keeping people happy :)

Mike

Just don't wake up in 5 years time and be saying this still.

Finish yours and start enjoying it,,,life's to short.

cheers Dane

Edited by sunburst73-xu1, 12 July 2013 - 06:23 PM.

#31 ZUSE

ZUSE

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Name:ZUSE
  • Car:GTR TORANA
Garage View Garage

Posted 12 July 2013 - 08:25 PM

hi mike 

love your work  i agree with mick be upfront and let the owner make his own mind up if the car has race history as it has ? as well as the correct running gear ??? should be a keeper ,the quality work that you do (proven) the car restored in the right manner will be worth every $$$ and cents put in to it some people are in it for the love of owning a fine piece of australian motor history ? AS I AM  some are in it for the quick cash that these types of cars warrant therefore you'll always get the maggots coming out for the quick cash ? and of course nobody wants to put there name to it , why?   SIMPLY   because  they done a shit job some people love the bog ? ONE GOOD THING THESE CARS TEND TO LEAVE A FOOT PRINT THATS THERE FOR ALL TO SEE YOU JUST NEED TO NO WHERE TO LOOK  mike you have a passion for the little battler from what i have seen on the  forum your a natural that puts heart and soul in to it and because of that many will live on ? AS THIS ONE WILL PERIOD 

CHEERS

#32 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2013 - 09:32 AM

Just don't wake up in 5 years time and be saying this still.

Finish yours and start enjoying it,,,life's to short.

cheers Dane

Wont happen Dane.. My car is next.. I dont care if they throw gold at me.. My car is next..

hi mike 

love your work  i agree with mick be upfront and let the owner make his own mind up if the car has race history as it has ? as well as the correct running gear ??? should be a keeper ,the quality work that you do (proven) the car restored in the right manner will be worth every $$$ and cents put in to it some people are in it for the love of owning a fine piece of australian motor history ? AS I AM  some are in it for the quick cash that these types of cars warrant therefore you'll always get the maggots coming out for the quick cash ? and of course nobody wants to put there name to it , why?   SIMPLY   because  they done a shit job some people love the bog ? ONE GOOD THING THESE CARS TEND TO LEAVE A FOOT PRINT THATS THERE FOR ALL TO SEE YOU JUST NEED TO NO WHERE TO LOOK  mike you have a passion for the little battler from what i have seen on the  forum your a natural that puts heart and soul in to it and because of that many will live on ? AS THIS ONE WILL PERIOD 

CHEERS

Holy cow.... What a comment.. Im humble in your offerings :)

#33 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 13 July 2013 - 12:22 PM

Posted Yesterday, 07:10 AM

LONA-CK, on 11 Jul 2013 - 06:51, said:snapback.png

Hi John... hows life?

Yep it is that car from Canberra... we have talked about it before..

Acrlylic.

Its the NZ car that went into a ditch...

yeh daz i know the car has i was the one whom got it from ebay for 18k going of the word of a seller and the pics he had posted the car had a slight front end smash, but really it had nosed dived into a ditch and buckled the front of the roof.

the car once home here was sat in the corner until i sold it on to a local paint and panel man whoms name i can not say for legal reasons, but some forum members do know him.

to cut a long story short i had this bloke do a couple of jobs for me when i first moved down from brisvages and i had complants from both owners, one car me and gary fixed the other turned into a heated argument, but the offer was there to fix the car.

i must say for those of you who have there doubts about me and the work we [gary and myself] do,,, come look for yourself ,,, no corners cut and no rust unturned ,,, all a1 metal work here.

cheers gong

gong the only people that could have doubts on your work is someone that doesn't know you mate as anyone that does know you knows what you stand for END OF STORY!! anyone can slap bog and hide the rust that's easy but to do what you do is a whole new ball game mate your work is second to none..... 

mike loving watching your stuff mate the things your doing is mind blowing as you know its a huge job to get this sort of rust fixed...

what I don't understand is people try to scrimp and save on a proven painter but it normally ends up biting them on the ass how many storys do we here of people paying big bucks for paint only to find a slap job done then they have to start again why they don't look at previous work and speak to former customers and see how they found the painter I don't know...

mike my mate I told you about at Lewiston has 2 cars at the moment a certain place done and my god what a joke the xa gt has had 50k of body work done and it hasn't even been bare metaled they have just primed and bogged over the old paint not to mention the dodgy rust repairs it looks and feels like the ocean down both sides and is still sitting in primer still wtf 50k no bare meatal no paint no nothing...as is the hq Monaro he had the pleasure of stripping and starting again... my biggest hate is these dodgy mother frOckers hide behind the law so we cant name and shame them as fear we will be sued.... 

keep up the great work mike I would love to have your's and gong's skill in metal work you guys make it look easy.... 

Edited by bullitA9X, 13 July 2013 - 12:25 PM.

#34 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2013 - 06:02 PM

Hi all...

I spent some time on the car today.. I took off the window cowl and the RH A-pillar... Inside the wet area is fine.. I will sandblast and POR 15.. the window cowl will be replaced with a better one.. The one I took off was very badly patched.. and both seals on both sides are gone.. Ill have to make new ones for there...

The A-pillar inner which holds the hinges was rusty as..  No wonder the doors wouldnt close properly...

Check out how they did the LH A-pillar repair.. didnt even weld up tight.... and rust in the inner window frame panel, both sides.. More exploring there is needed.. Later..

In side the RH door sill seems ok.... Ill know later when I take off the sill end, the fitment sucks.. Looks like a clean and rust proofing might do... I dont want to create more work if I dont have to.. Ill know after I look some more..

I asked the owner today as he droped by, To get the wire wheel and have a look at the front A arm mounting points on the chassis.. I suspected a bodge job... And bloody hell.. Just welded a plate over the rusty areas. They didnt even attempt to fix.. and yep.. Boged up..... Its rusty right through both sides..

Ill fix.. Both sides will need doing....

The more I do this car, The more I see that who ever set out to "trowel" the bog on.. new thats alll he was going to do from the start..

anyway.. Will be fixed as good as new, if not better..

Mike.. alls good :)

Attached Files

#35 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 16 July 2013 - 08:17 PM

Hi all.. I got some time for the car today..

I made some new window cowl inner seals.. One for the side and one for the top of the A-pillar that seals the cowl.. I made those 2 out of "heritage" grade galve.. should keep it from rusting again :).

I started to put on.. using the usual techniques.. Sandblast crap/rust away. Weldding Zinc primer, Put on piece, plug/stitch weld..

The LH A-pillar will need some work before I continue.. Its stuffed.. I will have to make a new piece for the top..

and while open, Ill have a look and see if its ok from that angle..

The repairs have started.. First few pieces of NEW metal.. and done properly..

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 16 July 2013 - 08:19 PM.

#36 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2013 - 08:54 PM

Hi all... Wet and windy here in SA.... a day/night to spend in the shed..

I wanted to fix the LH A-pillar properly.. I stared to grind away some smelly welds.. I noticed a little rust hole.. I thought Ide better look..

And yep.. Look at the size of the patch..Totally  Fcked... So the seems to go with this job.. :(

I had a look in the LH lower door sill... Just to make sure.. as I seen something I wasnt too happy with... I took off the dodgy seal end.. It was comming off anyway.... And as I thought... Welded over the old rusted inner door sill...

When they replaced the A-pilllar..they didnt even cut off the spot welded lips form the old peices ..Just left there and welded over.. doesnt make sence to me. I must be stupid !!!!!!!!!!! 

I stuck a torch inside.. and more rust...

U can see the light through the floor.... I scraped away the goo sealing the floor to the inner seal... They didnt even plug weld the inner sill to the floor.. Just filled with silicon... I suppose there is nothing to weld to as its rusted away.... so they got that right, which is wrong.. Dicks.. big time.

So as it seams now.. BOTH door outer sills will have to come off as I garrentee that BOTH inner door seals are stuffed....

More work..

The owner took the doors away to take off the bog and get back to metal for me..  More rust holes.. which = more work...

This job was meant to be just align doors up.. Now look.... More work than the LJ I just did...

I will fix this car/rust proof "better' than factory.. It has to be done as this car needs to be saved..

Original XU-1 with ALL original running gear.. A piece of Australian Motoring history..

I will have to put off the next couple of jobs as this is going to take a while..

Mike

Attached Files

#37 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:34 PM

Just got an email with some pics from the owner who took the doors away to strip...  Bog covering rust and very dodgy repairs... Nothing new

Ill let the pics do the talking.. They say it all....

might be easyier just to reskin the bad one.. which side that is.. Ill find out later I suppose.

Attached Files

#38 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 18 July 2013 - 09:49 PM

Keep up the top work you are right such a lovely little car needs to be saved!

#39 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 18 July 2013 - 11:59 PM

Keep up the top work you are right such a lovely little car needs to be saved!

Will do..

I just re-read my first post on this car.. I had a laugh... Was I SOOOOOOO wrong :)

#40 _boynuz_

_boynuz_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 02:58 AM

Nice work mate watching this thread with interest :)

#41 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:23 PM

Hi all..

Revealed some more rust today.. At least they are consitant.. Both sides of the front rear lower A-arm supports are stuffed.. will need a bit of work.. Ill do them last on the rotisserie.. much easier...

Took the paint off the drip rails.. Looks good... There will be some surface rust behind there.. No swelling.. I had a poke.. seems strong.. Ill take the chance and clean/fish oil/por 15.. them both..

Sandblasted and primed the repaire Im about to do...

Too bloody cold in the shed.. Ive had enough..

Ill do later..

The owner dropped off the doors that he cleaned for me.. he did a good job.. hes keen which is good to know.. Downside is that both his doors will need work.. Nothing new.. They are pretty dodgy the way they fixed them... They made them worse really.. Frames are ok.. The skins are dodgy/rusty..

New guards were delivered today.. They look and fit ok so far.. Have never used.. Ill see as I go at how good they are..

Mike

Attached Files

#42 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 19 July 2013 - 07:25 PM

Nice work mate watching this thread with interest :)

Always a pleasure to entertain people.. This is a joke!

#43 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 12:45 AM

Gee wizz mate you are keen taking on that one.  I think I have only ever seen 1 XU1 worse than this that was properly bought back from the dead.

#44 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 06:24 AM

Gee wizz mate you are keen taking on that one.  I think I have only ever seen 1 XU1 worse than this that was properly bought back from the dead.

No mate.. My XU-1 was soooo much worse than this... Its all done now and beautiful :)..

http://www.gmh-toran...r-xu-1-rebuild/

and, what am I supposed to do.. Say no?

Im committed to fixing this now.. oesnt matter, it will get done and as good as new..

Just wait untill you see my LC GTR rebuild.. Its a mess as well...... ALL the so called "experts" say to scrap as its unfixable... BLAH I say to them.. anythings fixable...

Attached Files

#45 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:13 AM

Awesome work...

#46 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 08:23 AM

Well done Mike, you and a hand full of others are the last chance for these great cars ....  I'm sure all of us appreciate the work you do, and the effort you put in to rescue these cars.....       and its great to see the pics and info of what you do....   cheers mate.  :)      Grind on .....................................

#47 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:14 PM

Awesome work...

Ta.. I still enjoy the challenge :)

#48 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:16 PM

Well done Mike, you and a hand full of others are the last chance for these great cars .... I'm sure all of us appreciate the work you do, and the effort you put in to rescue these cars..... and its great to see the pics and info of what you do.... cheers mate. :) Grind on .....................................

I do get a good feeling when Ive completed a job.. I think to myself.. "another from the scrap heap saved"...... F u so called crash repaires/restores whove said that the cars Ive done are unfixable....... One particular shop said to me to take my XU-1 to the dump, One said 60k just to fix rust, and heaps just laughed.. Well, I proved them wrong, didnt I. :).

and by all the emails/pm's Ive been getting.. Looks like I will be saving some more...

Edited by mikecatts, 20 July 2013 - 01:21 PM.

#49 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:27 PM

Yeah mate, it blows me away what you do with these things, I love reading your threads.  I hope my LC doesn't show some of these nasties when the old paint comes off.

It is great there are the likes of yourself, Dirtbag and Gong doing these superbly and at rates us mere mortals can still afford as well.  Panel shop costs are insane and usually not interrested in the work.

#50 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 20 July 2013 - 01:54 PM

Yeah mate, it blows me away what you do with these things, I love reading your threads.  I hope my LC doesn't show some of these nasties when the old paint comes off.

It is great there are the likes of yourself, Dirtbag and Gong doing these superbly and at rates us mere mortals can still afford as well.  Panel shop costs are insane and usually not interrested in the work.

There WILL be hidden nasties..

Shops suck, they are there to make money, full stop..... I/we play...

Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users