#102 71xu1

71xu1

Dave

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,265 posts
  • Car:LC GTR XU1

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:02 PM

OK thanks John I thought it didn't happen until mid 71.
Cheers Dave

#103 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:14 PM

Keen eye gong

#104 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:36 PM

I wonderd what was up...

Got the RH chassis rail off today.. The floor was shot.. No metal to weld to and rusty as.. Had to make a patch to fit... Didnt want to chase rust.. And need something for the rail to weld to..

The centre chassis rail is ok inside.. same as the LH one.. just dirty..

Any way.. it took the extra hours away I needed to fit the new rail... Ill fit tomm...

Then then the reassembly begins.. More "door on , door off".

Next time.

Mike

Attached Files

#105 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 04:53 AM

Hi all....

Ive finnished the chassis rails... Turned out very well and all measurements are correct..

The gap on the rail was much tighter when closed.. The gaps are not how it sat. I wanted to show how it went on.

Ive shown the measuring gadgets Ive made...

I used the "workshop manual" to get the figures..  I made sure the car was level, then used a plumb bob to mark the spots on the concrete... Then checked ALL measurements with the gadgets before welding...

Then when done, re-checked.... No probs.... I did this for both sides.

Much better than what was there....

The owner dropped by... He seems happy....

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 07 September 2013 - 04:56 AM.

#106 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 07 September 2013 - 05:00 AM

Great Work Mike

#107 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:04 AM

^^ Agree with above amazing work as always.
Phillip

#108 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 05:52 AM

Great Work Mike

Thanks guys.. I try

#109 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 06:00 AM

Hi all..

I spent the weekend and yesterday getting the LH guard area ready to fit the LH guard on.. Takes  ages to get correct, Door on off a few times, Bonnet open and close heaps of times.. Guard on and off.... I like to make sure before welding on.. Only got one shot. :)

I made the sill end fit the guard.. Paddle pop stick gap... I had to apply a "little" bog over the POR 15 to finnish nicely.. as once guard is on its too hard to do..

POR 15 over the bog.. All sealed and looks good..

If you notice that I sand off the POR 15 where Im going to weld and paint with "copper" weld through primer..The copper doesnt "blow back" as much as the zinc weld through primer.

And I used the old trusty fence strainer to "pull" the inner guard in to match the guard lip..

Its on and gaps are correct..

Im going to finnsh the LH side gaps etc before moving to the RH side... It will be done today..

Mike

332 hours on this car so far... Adds up guys to do the job properly, no corner cutting..

My quotes are going to be more to cover the extra hours that seems to be  involved... Im working way too cheap for what Im doing...

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 10 September 2013 - 06:05 AM.

#110 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 10 September 2013 - 11:57 AM

Mike

332 hours on this car so far... Adds up guys to do the job properly, no corner cutting..

Your not wrong there Mike. Probably be at least 17K racked up so far for that exact same work at a panel shop.

It's little wonder a lot of panel shops aren't interested in resto jobs or they bodge things up. Too many sh%t fights over the cost.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Cheers

Dave.

Edited by S pack, 10 September 2013 - 11:58 AM.

#111 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LJ 4 Door

Posted 10 September 2013 - 01:53 PM

gain great work Mike, I like the bigger pictures as the smaller ones are hard to see any details.

Cheers, Steve.

#112 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2013 - 07:15 PM

.The LH side is done.. All gaps are good.. The door stricker is tight.. hence the pressure needed to close..

http://www.youtube.c...Bnpbmc&o=U&ns=1

Mike

Your not wrong there Mike. Probably be at least 17K racked up so far for that exact same work at a panel shop.

It's little wonder a lot of panel shops aren't interested in resto jobs or they bodge things up. Too many sh%t fights over the cost.

Keep up the good work Mike.

Cheers

Dave.

Im fixing a "shop" bog job on this car...

#113 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:14 AM

Hi all...

Some pics of the LH door repair/fitiing.

I had to weld in some rods on the inside of the panel so I had something to weld to.. The person who tried to fix before ground the corner down sooo much that there was no metal there to weld to, and full of holes/bog, the usual dodgy job, nothing new. 

So to stop ALL the headaches from the start.. I welded in 2 rods behind....

I built up the outer edge to match the door.. While I was there I did some panel work to try and bring out the panel.. Its ok.. Will need a skim of bog to finnish.. At least the edge now is "solid" metal.. Not 10mm of bog....

I also built up the outer top edge of the front guard to have something to grind back to make gaps... No probs there...

2.5 mm gap (paddle pop stick) all the way round... Not bad.. That is what the customer wanted from the start.. Pitty it cost soo much and took soo long.. Thats life while working on rusty old cars :)

RH side today..It shouldnt take as long as its not as messy/dodgy as the LH side..And with me replacing the A-pillar.. Gaps are better.

Nearly done..

Mike

Attached Files

#114 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:32 AM

Great work... Wow that is a lot of hours !!!

#115 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:48 AM

Great work... Wow that is a lot of hours !!!

Hi Adam... Yep.. They do add up.. estimate another 50 hours yet... another 9.5 hours yesterday as well.....

My XU-1 took over 900 hours to do.. The LJ GTR I finnished took 327 hours to do.. So they seem to take about 350 hours on the average to do a resto.... Pitty I wont get paid for the hours I put in.. Thats life..

#116 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:51 AM

far out... so did you do a fixed quote for this one ?

#117 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 07:59 AM

The initial job was to fix the door gaps and find out why the doors stuck... I found out alright.. Full of rust and bog....

I qouted 2k initially to fix the gaps... Well, we all know that that went only so far.... I discussed with the owner that there is going to be a LOT more work on this car, due to ALL the hidden nasties..

I have given him a final price.... Ide like/need more, but I wont be getting it... Its a bit hard to do quality work, knowing Im doing it for nothing.... But I will no cut corners.... My prices are going to have to go up.. Loosing way too much money this way.. If it keeps going as it is, money wise.. Im better working in a factory.. Less stress and more cash...

I still enjoy the challenge of repairing these cars..Im very confident around them now.. I just need to be paid for the service...

MY spit..

Mike

#118 _grumpy 026_

_grumpy 026_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:20 AM

Mike,

Have been watching this project and think it's exceptional work.

You may not make your fortune on this one but I belive it will result in other work coming your way.

You will also be able to sleep at night knowing that you do a quality job and anyone that see's your work in the future can appreciate it.

Quality allways sells.

Ragards, G.

#119 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 12:28 PM

Mike,

Have been watching this project and think it's exceptional work.

You may not make your fortune on this one but I belive it will result in other work coming your way.

You will also be able to sleep at night knowing that you do a quality job and anyone that see's your work in the future can appreciate it.

Quality allways sells.

Ragards, G.

Hi Graham..

I do know what you are saying... I do sleep well... so do the croocks...... Its not about "making my fortune".. Its about getting the hours paid for.. The rate Im getting to work on cars.. well my son earns more at Hungry Jacks... Plus ALL the consumables I use, which seems I wont get paid back for either..

"Quality always sells" not here in Aus it dont.. We are all a bunch of penny pinching wingers, Me included.... Look what they pay in the states to get cars done..100 of thousands of dollars..

Seems the majority of people who have enquired about restos want the "best Job" with great gaps at a slaves rates......

Im really thinking about not doing any more work for people.. The hours I put in versus the return... Not worth it..

I Think that I should be doing my own cars.. to keep or sell.. Dont know... I have a few Im wanting to repair, , paint and sell as rollers....

Ill think about it a bit more... I have put off the other jobs I have booked, just in case I choose not to do...

Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 11 September 2013 - 12:33 PM.

#120 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:05 PM

Mike,

Buy, restore, sell.

My 2 cents.

#121 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 11 September 2013 - 01:25 PM

Hi Mike,

Put your Rate up and then you will have less orders and then ask for 30% up front when starting the job, 30% when half way and the rest on completion. Dave I

p.s. they already got the money and have seen your precious work

#122 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:07 PM

It would be a shame for you to stop doing them Mike, but if you're not enjoying it, whats the point?

And I'm talking about the whole experience, not just the actual repairing part which seems to be what you love doing.

At least now you will have a better idea of how many hours it will take.

I hope if you do stop doing other people's cars, you do what Dave has suggested and keep buying, repairing and selling.

I think you could get a good sale value because we can all see the quality of the workmanship and will know there will be no surprises.

Either way, this car is looking great, hopefully the owner can throw a bit of extra coin your way.

#123 LHSL

LHSL

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 995 posts
  • Name:Phillip
  • Car:1974 LH SL; 2 x 1975 LH S Toranas

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:00 PM

Mike there has been good advice above given. Ultimately your decision though. Maybe do what the larger restorers do. Be very specific with what is/isnt include and put a variance in for the unexpected. 10-20% will at least allow you to get something extra back. My friend who does similar stuff to you but on Frauds only charges by the day. Was burnt real hard with a fixed price quote so never again.
Phillip

#124 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 06:08 PM

Sorry to hear Mike. Like you, i consider myself a good person.... If i owned this car and saw the amount of work involved i WOULD help as best i can... On the flip side I understand that the owner, possibly already burnt badly wants to uphold a contract.... And you are a Gentleman for honouring that.

From now on :

- only accept work on hourly rates. When questioned refer your potential clients to these threads.

- offer references from past clients with phone numbers.

- offer full posting and updates on the clients forum or website of choice.

Dont give up man, i have watched you evolve from nowhere to someone i would happily transport a car out of qld to have you work on it.... Take a casual job in the interim if you must, but seriously i dont think you will need to.

Cheers.

Edited by Skapinad, 11 September 2013 - 06:22 PM.

#125 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 11 September 2013 - 08:06 PM

:iagree:

I think you could charge enough to keep you happy and still extremely busy as long as you maintain that sort of quality and attention to detail.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users