Photo

A9X Hatch glove box lining difference

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
205 replies to this topic

#76 _racer8_

_racer8_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

Sticker here, sticker there, big deal, my l34 has the TRACK PACK option, and I think that's the best sticker on any Torana! so maybe that's why the A9X is so sluggish its weighted down by all those unnecessary stickers !!! :stirpot: ,

#77 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 22 July 2013 - 08:08 PM

There are several examples of differences among A9Xs, narrow flares v wide flares, 2 types of intake manifolds were used, Paterson,s hand cut guards v GMH production line cut guards, plastic spoilers v fibreglass spoilers, and so on. Guess what ? They are still A9Xs. StephenSLR, your quote from the Engineer is priceless.

And don't forget the A9x was available without flares, spoilers, engines cut guards, interior etc etc and they are still an A9x too.

#78 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:49 PM

Thats fine Steven, if you had a batch of cars that had something slightly different to the next batch, like you say something a different color for instance. What we have here is a few cars built at different times that seem to be different to every other car in Australia by having some decal that was only made for a select few hatches at different times? Are we seriously going to say, hey we'll make up a few of these decals and throw them in gloveboxes of a couple of cars, hatches only. Apparently you could get a 10 grand tacho too, but only one car ever had one.

I have one of those 10 grand tachos

#79 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 22 July 2013 - 11:56 PM

Carbon dating would prove its authenticity and why would somebody make one so that 20 odd years later it could be mentioned on a forum

I spoke to Greg  on the weekend about this, and in the 30 odd years he has owned his cars, he has never once seen one or any evidence of ever having been one in a car. I fail to see how someone can own a car for a long period of time and not see it in their glovebox, and why would it only be limited to hatches? Has the ink dried on it yet?

#80 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:27 AM

There are several examples of differences among A9Xs, narrow flares v wide flares, 2 types of intake manifolds were used, Paterson,s hand cut guards v GMH production line cut guards, plastic spoilers v fibreglass spoilers, and so on. Guess what ? They are still A9Xs. StephenSLR, your quote from the Engineer is priceless.

All very easily explained, but a decal thats suddenly come out of the blue like this is not.

#81 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:49 AM

All very easily explained, but a decal thats suddenly come out of the blue like this is not.

It's not exactly out of the blue, the OP V8XU1Pete mentions he recalls seeing one between the late 80's and 90's so they go back at least 20 years.

OuterControl has provided a picture of one.

Is this the same car the OP has seen?

You said you've seen one but not in the glovebox.

Somebody out there in the past has printed these stickers for whatever reason, they exist in at least 2 A9X's (if it's not the same car) and could exist in non-A9X's or even non-Torana's if they've been found on other than glove box lids.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 23 July 2013 - 07:50 AM.

#82 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 08:32 AM

It's not exactly out of the blue, the OP V8XU1Pete mentions he recalls seeing one between the late 80's and 90's so they go back at least 20 years.

Somebody out there in the past has printed these stickers for whatever reason, they exist in at least 2 A9X's (if it's not the same car) and could exist in non-A9X's or even non-Torana's if they've been found on other than glove box lids.

s

What  I saw wasn't a sticker and it wasn't from an A9X

#83 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 06:22 PM

!988 is not just out of the blue I was only 33 back then

#84 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:39 PM

careful with a statement like that wayne
or some smartass may insist that you are
sent off for carbon dating also!lol

#85 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 23 July 2013 - 07:51 PM

Here I was thinking I had one leg in the pine box ! :stirpot:

#86 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 23 July 2013 - 10:14 PM

Great reply Dave, had me laughing.

#87 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 23 July 2013 - 11:04 PM

lol, carbon dating is used for things that were once living, with an accuracy of +/- 100 years ... at best.

Sounds a bit like my dating life.

s

#88 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LJ XU1 V8 (SALAMANCA RED)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:13 AM

s

I  saw the sticker in a black hatch in about 1990, 23 years ago. Looked absolutely genuine to me at the time, as if it was meant to be there. My immediate thought was that A9X's must have a different glove box compartment. 

The car I saw then is now The Baron's car, confirmed 100%, but he did not own it at the time. Had the sticker then & still has the sticker now.

Outer's yellow A9X hatch is a different car & also appears to have a sticker, as per his photo.

Got1UR1 also says he has a sticker in his car, which I am presuming is a sedan.

The sticker was stuck to the inside top of the glove box compartment, not on the glove box lid.

Is it possible that during production an A9X specific part came in a plastic bag with this sticker on it, and a creative assembly line worker peeled it off and stuck it in the glove box just for the hell of it, & did it on more than 1 car. Perhaps the A9X specific tyre placard came in a bag with this sticker on it. Just a thought!

Pete.

PS. I wonder if anyone ever keeps gloves in their glove box these days, or did back then. Funny how things get their names!

#89 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

In all the time I was in the A9X club and the association before that, not one member ever mentioned having seen one.

Now 36 years after they were built people are just mentioning it, and on a forum.

It appears maybe 3 cars out of 405 have them.

Outer says he has owned the car since 1988 and only just noticed it?

There are cars out there that have very low km and are pretty much untouched that have now sign of them ever having one.

My own car has every bit of paperwork down to the business card of the seller and I know the original owner and it doesn't have the decal and if after 18 years of ownership I stick my head in and find it I should give myself an uppercut, which is exactly what GM said when I asked him about his hatch.

This isn't like the L34/A9X rear flares, a glovebox is no different to any other LX Torana.

Most things can be logically explained..........

#90 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 07:37 AM

Is it possible that during production an A9X specific part ....

So it's the cardboard glove box 'box'?

My guess it's not an A9X specific part as they will fit other Torana's right?

Just a guess as to how it could come to be is that a batch was made by one particular manufacturer that took over the contract from another. When the manufacturer asked GM-H what car are they going into, GM-H's procurement manager likely said 'A9X's' so the manufacturer gave the cardboard boxes that serial number.  

If the above scenario is correct, they would've also been installed to every LX Torana being assembled around that time.

s

#91 _1973bathxu1_

_1973bathxu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:28 AM

hi interesting reading stephen slr has had a good theory about the a9x sticker i also own an a9x and when i get home tonight i will look in the glove box, as the guy i bought it from had it locked away for 15 plus years and ive had it locked away for 5 years,

regards aldo

#92 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:07 AM

So it's the cardboard glove box 'box'?

My guess it's not an A9X specific part as they will fit other Torana's right?

Just a guess as to how it could come to be is that a batch was made by one particular manufacturer that took over the contract from another. When the manufacturer asked GM-H what car are they going into, GM-H's procurement manager likely said 'A9X's' so the manufacturer gave the cardboard boxes that serial number.  

If the above scenario is correct, they would've also been installed to every LX Torana being assembled around that time.

s

I find the above scenario highly unlikely. A contractor making equipment for a vehicle manufacturer wouldn't need to know and probably wouldn't care which specific vehicle a part is going to be fitted to. They would simply produce components to the specs on the supplied engineering drawings and include all identifying numbers and corporate logos as listed. If those decals were supplied and or installed by the component manufacturer then it would have been specified by GMH.

My thoughts are if those A9-X glove compartment decals are genuine then they would have been fitted on the production line, possibly during the quality control inspection before the car rolled out of the factory.

Maybe the decals purpose was so the GMH despatch workers and the Dealers could quickly and easily identify the vehicle as an A9X rather than just another 5 litre SS Hatchback?

One thing that is strange is the way the corners on the decal have been cut at 45 degrees. Never seen a GMH parts decal done like that before.

#93 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:20 AM

If those decals were supplied and or installed by the component manufacturer then it would have been specified by GMH.

It's not a decal, it'd be a very dodgy unimaginative looking one if it was.

It's a model sticker.

gc4857607363744370164.jpg?width=830&aspe

I'm sure this sticker for the Holden LU-X wasn't specified by G.M.H.A

It's used so the manufacturer doesn't send the part to Ford, Mitsubishi, etc.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 24 July 2013 - 09:22 AM.

#94 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:45 AM

LUX in that case designates the level of module, in that case Luxury, so a statesman or Calais. It doesn't designate model.

#95 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 09:50 AM

LUX in that case designates the level of module, in that case Luxury, so a statesman or Calais. It doesn't designate model.

LOL,

I didn't think anyone would take the LU-X comment seriously, it was a dig at the A9-X designation but as you can see with the above module, the manufacturer has a code for the type of car it will go to.

Perhaps A9-X indicated an LX Torana as opposed to a UC or Kingswood, perhaps the number is coincidence and the Kingswood ones were A9-Y or A10-X, etc.

My guess is the answer lies with the supplier and not GM-H, they just ordered and installed the things.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 24 July 2013 - 09:52 AM.

#96 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LJ XU1 V8 (SALAMANCA RED)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:13 AM

Perhaps the ATL on the sticker could be a clue. What could it stand for?

Pete.

#97 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:36 AM

Perhaps the ATL on the sticker could be a clue. What could it stand for?

Could it be a designator for which GM-H plant it was to be shipped to?

s

#98 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:37 AM

Acme Transfers Limited. :P

#99 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:42 AM

Maybe the sticker is real, maybe it isn't, one thing for sure is every owner who read this thread went out to their glove box to have a look...

#100 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:47 AM

LOL,

I didn't think anyone would take the LU-X comment seriously, it was a dig at the A9-X designation but as you can see with the above module, the manufacturer has a code for the type of car it will go to.

Perhaps A9-X indicated an LX Torana as opposed to a UC or Kingswood, perhaps the number is coincidence and the Kingswood ones were A9-Y or A10-X, etc.

My guess is the answer lies with the supplier and not GM-H, they just ordered and installed the things.

s

I would be surprised if most if not all the info on that BCM label, other than the manufacturers details, wasn't specified by GMH to comply with their internal systems.

Kingswood glove boxes are different to LX so wouldn't be that and UC came after the LX.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users