StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:59 AM

I would be surprised if most if not all the info on that BCM label, other than the manufacturers details, wasn't specified by GMH to comply with their internal systems.

Kingswood glove boxes are different to LX so wouldn't be that and UC came after the LX.

Yes, UC came after the A9X hence why I suggested it could be A9-Y or A10-X.

Yes Kingswood glove boxes are different also why I suggested the manufacturer would give it a different number.

I wasn't being that precise just throwing out some examples of how it works, GM-H may have used this supplier for different cardboard inserts.

A glove box insert doesn't have to be as precise as the B.C.M. so wouldn't need as much detail or a serial number, however it if was made on different machines it may have something to indicate which machine it was produced by and these details are for the manufacturer.

Similar to how you have the 'lucky cigarette' number on cigarette boxes, if there's a malfunction on the print or boxes are irregular they can trace it back to which number machine produced which box.

one thing for sure is every owner who read this thread went out to their glove box to have a look...

Every Holden owner should go and check, particularly late 70's models, it'd be interesting to see if any other stickers with other details show up.  

s

#102 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 24 July 2013 - 11:13 AM

Not a 70's Holden or even an 80's or 90's but

my VZ has an identification label stuck to the left hand end of the glove box lid. Has a bar code on it, VIN number, trim colour, manufacture date? etc.

#103 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:40 PM

My VZ has an identification label stuck to the left hand end of the glove box lid.

This sticker isn't really an ID label though.

Could we have a wider shot showing where the sticker is located in the glove box insert? 

Perhaps Torana owners can look at their glove box inserts for any faded area, leftover gum or signs that a sticker was once there and had been peeled away.

s

#104 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 12:58 PM

This sticker isn't really an ID label though.

s

Well it has A9-X on it, so if it means PO A9X then I think it is for identification of something, maybe just the glove box insert (which was the same for all LX Torana) or the whole car???

#105 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 01:10 PM

I think it is for identification of something, maybe just the glove box insert

That's what I meant.

That it's not a VIN or ID tag type of ID as the owner of the Commodore has on his glove box lid which has the car specifics on it.

My best guess is it's the part no. sticker for the glove box insert from one particular supplier.

A glove box insert doesn't need elaborate details, we're talking the 70's, pre-bar codes and it's that simple of a part that any factory worker who knows his way around a car can look at without having to second guess what it is or where it goes. 

s

#106 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 03:28 PM

Perhaps the ATL on the sticker could be a clue. What could it stand for?

ATL could be the code for the glove box insert.

On GM vehicles (USA) after 1984 they installed Service Part ID stickers in the glove box showing RPO's (regular production options) which consist of 3 alpha-numeric characters.

The GMH sticker in question wouldn't be an SPID because it's too brief.

As you can see there's a whole stack of 3 digit RPO's in this example.

gm_spid_label.jpg?w=300&h=167

http://marksautopart...abel-explained/

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 24 July 2013 - 03:40 PM.

#107 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LJ XU1 V8 (SALAMANCA RED)
Garage View Garage

Posted 24 July 2013 - 05:23 PM

Perhaps The Baron & Got1UR1 could put up a pic of their stickers, so we can compare them to Outer's.

Pete.

#108 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:13 PM

Perhaps The Baron & Got1UR1 could put up a pic of their stickers, so we can compare them to Outer's.

Pete.

fark!
has this grown legs and run away!

#109 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 24 July 2013 - 06:40 PM

sorry , cant help myself......

The sticker says                "Holden ATL   A9X"

ATL - Lakewood Assembly was a General Motors automobile factory near Atlanta, ( ATL ) Georgia USA .  Lakewood was referred to as 'Atlanta' and coded as '8' on vehicle VIN plates, changing to 'A' when GM reshuffled their codes for 1953. For 1972, code 'A' Atlanta was now referred to as the Lakewood plant.
 Lakewood assembled Chevrolets, Pontiacs, Oldsmobile and Buicks at various points in their history. The the plant closing its doors in 1990 .
-
A9X -  a check on the GM Trucks/ RPO lookup site says.... " RPO Code Lookup - Searched For: A9X = A9X      EXPORT SOP

Thus I'm assuming an Export Chevy truck  or something , originating out of the Altanta Georgia plant.

Holden??....well, FIIK....

#110 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:01 PM

fark!
has this grown legs and run away!

lol.

One thing that may put holes through my theory is why would the manufacturer of glove box inserts put their part no. sticker on a section visible to the public?

You'd want it to be discrete.

Also, if GM-H wanted it visible as some sort of A9X identifier, what's with ATL? 

s

#111 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:05 PM

Well it has A9-X on it, so if it means PO A9X then I think it is for identification of something, maybe just the glove box insert (which was the same for all LX Torana) or the whole car???

Maybe because of different tyre placard on glovebox,s of A9X,s who knows and does it matter it would not have improved performance

#112 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:16 PM

Pete.

show me yours and I will show you mine [reminds me of the good oid days behind the school shed] :rockon:  :joystick:  :bowdown:  :nudie:  :gun:

#113 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 08:33 PM

careful with a statement like that wayne
or some smartass may insist that you are
sent off for carbon dating also!lol

If its like a fountain of youth I will be in it

#114 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:13 PM

Pete.

photobucketshot.jpg[/URL]

#115 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 24 July 2013 - 10:19 PM

proof oh yeah!

#116 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:36 AM

proof oh yeah!

To me it looks like that would have been placed on the glove box insert prior to it being installed.

The glove box inserts start out as flat sheets of cardboard, the cardboard gets folded then stapled. GM-H would get a cardboard box company such as Visy to do this.

The individual inserts would be cut from a much larger sheet. 

Another theory is that the sticker is placed on the corner of one of these larger sheets then gets sent to a machine to be cut into smaller shapes, folded then stapled, so it could be that only one glove box in say 10 get the sticker.

Or they could cut, say, 20 cardboard sheets to shape, stack them flat, put the sticker on the first sheet of the bundle, shrink wrap the bundle then send it to another factory or another section of the same factory for storage until they will be folded and stapled.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 25 July 2013 - 08:36 AM.

#117 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:36 AM

^ sounds like you took some government grant to come to that conclusion Steve :P

#118 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 09:52 AM

^ sounds like you took some government grant to come to that conclusion Steve :P

Yep, Centrelink did help get me through uni. :lol:

Apart from that I've worked for a few manufacturers in my time, barely anything gets made from scratch at one factory, look at just about any product and you're looking at a chain of suppliers combining to piece together the final product.

The sticker itself was made by a separate supplier to the insert.  

The company that prints the stickers order a batch of adhesive labels from one supplier and the ink from another.

So when our car industry collapses or orders these components from overseas you can see how it affects the country.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 25 July 2013 - 10:05 AM.

#119 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:03 AM

Looks to me like that sticker/label/decal has been placed in that position so it can be easily viewed when you open the car door then open the glove box lid and put your head in the cabin to look in the glove box to see if it has one of those labels.

My theory is, and it is only a theory, if these A9-X labels are the real deal then they were placed there so the Dealers could confirm the SS Torana they had been delivered was in fact an A9X. Most Dealers may have chosen to remove these labels from the glove box at pre delivery but some Dealers didn't bother. It may have been easy to remove the label and clean off any remaining sticky stuff and not leave any trace of a label having ever been there.

#120 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:18 AM

Looks to me like that sticker/label/decal has been placed in that position so it can be easily viewed when you open the car door then open the glove box lid and put your head in the cabin to look in the glove box to see if it has one of those labels.

My theory is, and it is only a theory, if these A9-X labels are the real deal then they were placed there so the Dealers could confirm the SS Torana they had been delivered was in fact an A9X. Most Dealers may have chosen to remove these labels from the glove box at pre delivery but some Dealers didn't bother. It may have been easy to remove the label and clean off any remaining sticky stuff and not leave any trace of a label having ever been there.

Were A9X's delivered at the same time to the dealer with a bunch of 5000's or SL/R's?  

The flares would make them stick out more-so.

If you're theory is correct, the dealers probably wouldn't remove them as they'd still be required to pick them out among the group of Torana's they fitted flares to.

s

#121 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:20 AM

Apart from that I've worked for a few manufacturers in my time, barely anything gets made from scratch at one factory, look at just about any product and you're looking at a chain of suppliers combining to piece together the final product.

Yeah I hear you, I walked into a tool maker one day to get a new size die made for our press and they had tail lights in their display cabinet, when I asked why, he said they make them for the manufacture.

#122 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 10:29 AM

I walked into a tool maker one day to get a new size die made for our press

You work in injection moulding?  

I spent 6 months setting dies as well as manually picking off the mouldings for a whole range of products, number plate frames were constantly being churned out but we also did plastic Holden and Ford badges along with those beer identifier heads you see at the pub, the ones sitting above the handle the barkeep pulls when you're getting your favourite schooner.

The other side of the factory churned out steel castings, making repro car badges for Rare Spares along with souvenir teaspoons and whatever else.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 25 July 2013 - 10:30 AM.

#123 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,542 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:08 AM

Were A9X's delivered at the same time to the dealer with a bunch of 5000's or SL/R's?  

The flares would make them stick out more-so.

If you're theory is correct, the dealers probably wouldn't remove them as they'd still be required to pick them out among the group of Torana's they fitted flares to.

s

Who knows what stocks of standard SS and SLR 5000 Torana's the Dealers (and GMH for that matter) were holding when the A9X was released.

I agree the flares would be a dead giveaway. As I said 'just a theory'.

#124 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 25 July 2013 - 11:33 AM

As I said 'just a theory'.

Not a problem, brainstorming ideas can lead to some good theories.

s

#125 v8xu1pete

v8xu1pete

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 319 posts
  • Name:Pete
  • Car:LJ XU1 V8 (SALAMANCA RED)
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 July 2013 - 12:09 PM

Who knows what stocks of standard SS and SLR 5000 Torana's the Dealers (and GMH for that matter) were holding when the A9X was released.

I agree the flares would be a dead giveaway. As I said 'just a theory'.

They would have all looked similar on the production line, especially the SS hatches, as the flares etc were fitted later, off site.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users