63 replies to this topic

#26 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts
  • Car:LX Hatch

Posted 14 August 2013 - 10:26 PM

A9X RTS. Used UC type upper arms, arms mounted high again (I think) and LX rack but rubber mounts replaced by solid mounts (alloy from memory).

I believe the A9X had the upper control arms mounted in the lower position. Basically a UC k-frame with holes drilled for the A9X.

I think the reason for this is that the A9X stub axle lowers the car around 20 mm so moving the arm down from the UC position restores the angle of the upper control arm to around the same angle as it is on the UC suspension which is roughly horizontal at ride height.

This is a picture from a previous thread posted by dangerous. I photo shopped the measurements in based on the discussion.

k-frame_a9x_001.jpg

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 14 August 2013 - 10:28 PM.

#27 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
  • Car:SS
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:29 AM

... the A9X stub axle lowers the car around 20 mm ...

Not to mention being taller than the standard Torana stub axle also, apples and oranges with the upper arm positions

#28 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:47 AM

So the A9X retained the LX RTS upper control arm mounting position/height? I did say "I think"!!

Not sure how the use of HX-WB stubs (which lowers the car) affects the angle of the arms though. Stubs are the same height from lower to upper balljoint, just the axle sits higher on the stub giving the inherent lowering of the car. Upper and lower arms should remain in the same position shouldn't they?

Didn't GMH simply lower the upper arms at the introduction of RTS in LX to alter the front end geometry a bit? And to do it properly they needed to change it further by shifting the caster angle by moving the upper balljoint backwards which is what the A9X ad UC upepr arms do.

#29 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2013 - 11:09 AM

Stubs are the same height from lower to upper balljoint

Pretty sure they're not?

#30 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 02:27 PM

I'm pretty sure they are. I remember putting them side by side years ago and the only obvious difference between HK-WB and LH-UC was the location of the axle, although I know that ther are other minor differences too like KPI and caliper mount. It is an old memory I must admit though.  

#31 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:35 PM

Left one is HQ-WB, right one is Torana

Stubs.jpg

#32 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 August 2013 - 05:42 PM

But the measuring tape says both are approximately 198mm from top to bottom, so its just an optical illusion - my apologies! Strange that I've always though the HQ ones were taller even having had them side by side

#33 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name:Mark Grovenor
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 15 August 2013 - 06:39 PM

This is all great feedback thanks everyone. Can anyone post images of the rubber mounted and solid mounted steering rack for comparison?

#34 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:11 PM

It is obvious when you see it, the oddball one is A9X where the rubbers are replaced by metal bushes.

#35 Marks LXTorana

Marks LXTorana

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 158 posts
  • Name:Mark Grovenor
  • Car:LX Torana

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:27 PM

It is obvious when you see it, the oddball one is A9X where the rubbers are replaced by metal bushes.

Yes, that was the image i had in mind. So the solid mount is as simple as not having rubber bushes, more or less?

#36 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 15 August 2013 - 07:48 PM

Didn't GMH simply lower the upper arms at the introduction of RTS in LX to alter the front end geometry a bit? And to do it properly they needed to change it further by shifting the caster angle by moving the upper balljoint backwards which is what the A9X ad UC upepr arms do.

Two fold, it was done for increased camber gain over its suspension travel and also to raise the front roll centre. The a9x/uc upper rear arm actually lowered the rear roll centre. Pretty simple mods that made a substantial difference in how a torrie took corners.

#37 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Not sure how the use of HX-WB stubs (which lowers the car) affects the angle of the arms though. Stubs are the same height from lower to upper balljoint, just the axle sits higher on the stub giving the inherent lowering of the car. Upper and lower arms should remain in the same position shouldn't they?

When you fit the A9X stub axles the car is lowered around 20 mm compared to the standard suspension. To restore ride height on the A9X a taller spring is fitted to raise the suspension which causes both the lower and upper control arms to swing down. Moving the upper control arm pivot point down around 25 mm will restore the upper control arm into roughly the same position as it is on a UC at the same ride height.

The A9X also had a bump stop welded to the k-frame to limit the compression travel back to the same as the standard Torana.

a9x_bump.jpg

#38 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:50 AM

The heights and travel limit bump stops where to balance out the full package because the A9X used 14" rims and a DR70H14 vs the UC's 13" rims and 175SR13. The tyre choice effects your final roll centre and camber gain.

Edited by LXSS350, 16 August 2013 - 12:53 AM.

#39 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 01:54 AM

The larger diameter A9X tyre would make up for some of the height lost due to the stub axles.

However they still extended the bump stop by a significant amount. Judging by the pictures the bump stop is bigger than can be explained by drop stubs and tyre diameters. The bump stops on the diff were also extended.by more than I think can be explained by tyre diameter.

It would be interesting know exactly how much larger the front and rear bump stops are on the A9X compared to the standard Torana.

The larger bump stops may be there for flare/guard clearance on the track cars.

#40 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 03:33 AM

The bump stops where to limit travel because of the use of the bigger dia tyres. Its the idiocy factor and holdens conservative production design team in action. Even with the std A9X springs the bottom A9X LCA's are still level ,as are UC's with the appropriate steering arms correcting for the stub axles used (bump steer). The A9X setup had more camber gain with the low mounting of the UCA and a better and more balanced F/R roll centre position. The UC was of course closest of all other torries to the A9X in this area.

You have to remember that because of the front roll centre, transfer is working through the springs which is why in racing form they used the 1200lb springs. Even then they (race cars) would still be smacking up the bump stops. Ideally they (cheap ass holden) should have had a few inches of height on the stub axle (say 10") and/or an even lower mounted top arm position so that the weight transfer came off the springs.

Edited by LXSS350, 16 August 2013 - 03:46 AM.

#41 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:31 AM

Even then they (race cars) would still be smacking up the bump stops.

That's visible in the photo above too, it looks to have been on them pretty hard. That can't help handling much!

#42 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:59 AM

LX SL/R's had front and rear too.

Note: They're anti-sway bars people, they don't make the car sway, lol.

s

Picky, but correct !!

A bit like 'pollution gear' it wasn't fitted to add to pollution, it was actually anti-pollution gear, it was fitted to reduce pollution.

Dr Terry

#43 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 12:47 PM

Even with the std A9X springs the bottom A9X LCA's are still level ,as are UC's with the appropriate steering arms correcting for the stub axles used (bump steer).

The L34 and A9X were fitted with F71 heavy duty spring package as standard. The F71 heavy duty spring package was available as an option on the standard Torana.

The F71 spring increased the clearance between the bump stop and k-frame at ride height by 15 mm  from 59 mm to 74 mm. The actual ride height would increase by more than 15 mm due to the location of the bump stop.

If the LCA is level on a UC with standard springs then it cannot be level with A9X springs. If the UCA pivot position is optimal with standard springs then it would need to be lowered for F71 springs.

F71.jpg

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 16 August 2013 - 12:49 PM.

#44 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:59 PM

I don't have a UC but I will take a photo of the standard F71's in a standard A9X over the weekend. Its certainly level. (or within a pubic hair) The lower A9X steering arms (vs UC) are not needed because of a difference in working spring height rather because of the fitment of the H series stub axles on the A9X. Had the A9X LCA with F71's been pointing down they would have went into poor bump steer situation in the first 1.5" of travel as the arc went from positive to max radius to negative. Not something you design into your top line performance model while your bread and butter starts at level (max) to travel through a negative arc. With different coils the free height differences are simply not directly comparable. Actual working load height comparison is the only measurement to use, but that depends mainly on wire dia and winding per inch vs the weight the springs are asked to carry. You also have to have the springs settle with use before the true working spring height is known.

Edited by LXSS350, 16 August 2013 - 08:01 PM.

#45 ls2lxhatch

ls2lxhatch

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,332 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

According to the service manual replacing the standard springs with F71 springs will raise the suspension ride height increasing the gap between the bump stop and k-frame by 15 mm.

If you alter the suspension ride height then obviously you change the angle of the LCA. The LCA cannot be at the same angle on a car fitted F71 springs and the same car fitted with the lower standard springs. Whatever the angle of the LCA is on a A9X the angle of the LCA on a V8 Torana that weighs the same with standard springs will be different.

If you alter the suspension ride height then you may need to revise the whole suspension design, at a minimum you would look at moving the UCA pivot point.

F71.jpg

Edited by ls2lxhatch, 16 August 2013 - 10:35 PM.

#46 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 02:30 AM

Those numbers are dubious - what torrie config do they apply to? The heavy duty F71 front springs (P/N 9931027) are used in the 4cyd, 6cyl and 8cyl auto/manual/AC.

They must be pretty magical springs if the "working load height" (hence bump stop gap) is the same regardless of the powertrain aircond configuration? Its also worthy of note that the regular springs without aircond in 4, 6 and 8 are all different numbers with some being optional for aircond fitted. Yet according to this they are all 2" 5/16?

To say that F71 in a 4cyd with A/C will retain the same loaded height as an A9X with its 308 is not logical.

I would say its either not accurate, BS numbers or some just sort of guesswork.

I don't have my GM service manual here what page is it on? (I am a bit slow - I just worked it out "being a photo" its from an aftermarket manual)

Like most on here everything else that I have has been heavily modified with aftermarket springs, shocks etc etc (except for the A9X)  Not having a dead set original std torana on hand I would say the LCA with std springs must be inclined upward or on the negative side.

Edited by LXSS350, 17 August 2013 - 02:43 AM.

#47 76lxhatch

76lxhatch

That was easy!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,153 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:40 AM

Had the A9X LCA with F71's been pointing down they would have went into poor bump steer situation in the first 1.5" of travel as the arc went from positive to max radius to negative.

I don't see how that's true, with the assumption that the steering is properly set up to minimise bump steer throughout the suspension travel. Having carefully measured it on my own front end for the power steering conversion and being pleasantly surprised that it is quite minimal for the era, add the fact that Holden went to the trouble of casting the special steering arms for the A9X and I think its a reasonable assumption.

I have heard this theory before about the lower control arm and tie rod being level at ride height, but I can't see any direct steering correlation other than maybe a good spot to eyeball the relationship between the two, or possibly it would have an effect on bump steer in older vehicles with poor bump steer characteristics to begin with. It does seem like the starting point of the lower control arm might affect the lever action on the spring I suppose but that's a different issue.

The picture above looks like it comes from an Ellery manual so I wouldn't put too much faith in it either. However the basic premise that the heavier spring pushes the lower control arm further down has to be correct, as the cross member doesn't move. It also needs to bring the stub axle down to cater for the drop stub effect if the car is to remain at the same height as with a Torana stub.

#48 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

I will take a photo and measurements of an unmolested A9X to try to clear up the reasons why cheap ass holden did what they did to the A9X.  Yes the stubs drop it by around 20mm but it uses 14" rims vs 13" rims and that counters the 20mm back to std ride height.  Without pulling the A9X to bits I think if you measure free height to loaded height vs std torana springs you will find a bees di#k in ride height (once broken in). Its not like Toranas need ground clearance for off-roading. Ride height would be the same but of course the HD springs wouldn't compress as easy (firm ride).

The big limited travel blocks in the A9x are just because it was a slapped together system adapted from the HX/HZ (which has far more room under the guards). You have to remember it was all done for the race teams and bigger brakes to meet homologation requirements. Think holden mentality aka HQ bumper on LE Monaro its just throw on what they had and make it work. We are not talking Ferrari here, engineering and penny pinching in the 70's at holden was pretty crude and rude.

The A9X steering arms (P/N 92001893 and 4) where only required for bump steer correction when using the H series stub axle.  Holden didn't fit them because it had fitted the front springs (P/N 9931027) in the A9X.  Otherwise when Holden delivered every other torana with the optional P/N 9931027 springs it would have the same poor bumpsteer the A9X has if you used the standard torana steering arms.

I can assure you its was the H series stub axle usage that required new steering arms.

Edited by LXSS350, 17 August 2013 - 08:46 AM.

#49 _LXSS350_

_LXSS350_
  • Guests

Posted 17 August 2013 - 09:17 AM

Google images being helpful I see Toranamat has some bumpsteer over suspension travel with various stub axles etc on cardomain.

4807760252_large.jpg

#50 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 11:22 AM

The L34 and A9X were fitted with F71 heavy duty spring package as standard. The F71 heavy duty spring package was available as an option on the standard Torana.

The F71 spring increased the clearance between the bump stop and k-frame at ride height by 15 mm  from 59 mm to 74 mm. The actual ride height would increase by more than 15 mm due to the location of the bump stop.

If the LCA is level on a UC with standard springs then it cannot be level with A9X springs. If the UCA pivot position is optimal with standard springs then it would need to be lowered for F71 springs.

F71.jpg

That makes logical sense to me.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users