WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2013 - 04:31 PM

Thats a bit harsh dont you think ? Do you like the pic because theer is smoke in it ?

Do you know actually what happened, or are you just enjoying seeing the smoke in the pic ?

Chris is a great guy, and his car is driven regularly and enjoyed.

Glad you agree with me its a nice looking torana , yes Chris is a great guy ...

#27 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 06:07 PM

Well my first MCM experience was awesome had a ball.I loved how you could get right up close to the race cars and have a good look at them,and the owners and drivers were so friendly.

Thanks to Craig for showing me the ins and outs of the STP Commodore, was amazed the paint job on that thing. Had quick look at Shaun's Hatchy as well. 

The high light for me was the last Group NC under 3500 race and seeing that Blue XU smash the rest of the field,especially them Rotor's. GO the XU's

All in all had a great day out and already try to get the missus to let me go next year.

cheers Dane

#28 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 07:25 PM

Awesome vid Shaun! 😃👍

#29 _rob350hatch_

_rob350hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

Whats the smoke underneath this car? Clutch?

he said a rocker gasket thats all

Now thats cool!!!!!!

#30 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 04 September 2013 - 09:38 PM

yep it seemed to be doing it in both sessions i had seen , dont think it was major

Cheers WhiteA9X, i take a few pics on the day to let others know what they are missing out on and so they can enjoy some old cars on the track , im just happy to see alot of guys getting them out there and running them rather than hiding them away never to be seen .

#31 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:06 PM

Thanks TJ

Yeah those bloody pressed tin rocker covers ,  I,m always nipping em down 1/8 to 1/4 turn after each race day as they loosen ..           

#32 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 04 September 2013 - 10:11 PM

Majority of the Nissan turbo cars in group A have recently been running or are still running bearing turbo,s when they should be running bush turbo,s this clearly gives an advantage of being able to wind the boost up ,apparently its being addressed now . another thing have heard the turbo boys had been fitting larger fuel pumps to run ethanol fuel but this is only hearsay.

Close but not quite, Carey got done using a ball bearing turbo & had to rectify it, the main advantage he gained was cost, $1200 for a bb turbo vs $2500 for a rebuilt bush bearing using now rare parts. Hp difference between the two was about 20 at the wheels on the same boost, so he put an extra 2psi of boost into it & it now has the same power. Material improvements mean they will handle big boost just fine... Plus it was only really the DR30's & sierras that blew turbo's back in the day..

I don't think the historic commission guys really understand turbo cars..

#33 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 September 2013 - 01:02 PM

Thanks Dave , I have noticed over the past years the turbo cars were getting faster or I,m getting slower , you can tell when they pass you down the main . however it doesn't bother me as such as they are group A and I,m group C . The sealing and engine checking all came about as you may know was when a certain torana overtook a VL commodore down the main at MCM 2 years ago and the historic commission judges a cars speed and performance by the year , so a torana can not out HP a commodore for example. they want the cars to perform the same as they did in the hey day. And yes the sierras are much more reliable today .

ps are you the guy who bought the CDT gem ?

#34 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 05 September 2013 - 03:21 PM

I think tbh budget has a lot to do with how far people will push the turbo cars, if you don't have $ to throw at engines etc then you don't push them so hard. I think it's probably a reflection of parts availability vs guys in the game now having the money to fix it when things inevitably fail.. Craig has an advantage with the starion in that parts are dirt cheap for those engines so he can afford to run it very hard (30 psi). It's funny Caz's Skyline DR30 had a fine tooth comb run over it after the gp last year, as Luke Ellery got it into 3rd, ahead of walky's etc. Her car is EXACTLY as it was back in the day, that result was all Luke's doing, he's a gun driver.. Craig Nielson also drove it the year before at Sandown, he got it up a few places compared to what it had done previously, they came harassing Caz then too actually...

I have the John White group A twin cam gem, the marlboro colour scheme one. It's still a long way off the track, I'm finishing off another project at the moment before I get stuck into it properly.

The cdt gp C gem you are thinking of might be the one John Abbott sold recently? Or the hdt gp C twin cam one sold early in the year too..

Steve Axisa bought Murray Scoble's blue gp C gem last year too, I thought he was entered at mcm but havnt seen any pics of it.. He also has the Neville Bridges group C xu1 which should be close to done too.. Does anyone know if Steve is on this forum?

#35 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 05 September 2013 - 05:13 PM

They ran 30psi in the day??

#36 GTR469

GTR469

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 496 posts

Posted 05 September 2013 - 06:50 PM

Steve had his first race in the gem on the weekend. Unsure if he is on here

#37 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:11 AM

They ran 30psi in the day??

God knows, you have to remember though that Craig's car is CofD'd in 92 spec, so it has freedoms that the earlier group A cars didn't have.. Plus boost is free, the only requirement is that you can't adjust it from inside the cabin..

One funny thing about the factory starions that ran in 85/86, is that the japanese boffins made a radio controlled boost controller that they could adjust from the pits whenever the car drove past the pits lol

Perfectly within the rules, just like the air flow meter screwed to the firewall on Gentleman Jim's HR31 skyline!

#38 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 06 September 2013 - 09:14 AM

All this focus on turbo cars though, how frOcking fast is Bill Pye's mustang!! Must have a whole lot more hp than DJ had in 1986...

Time has benefitted the v8's just the same as the turbo cars...

#39 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 September 2013 - 11:26 AM

All this focus on turbo cars though, how frOcking fast is Bill Pye's mustang!! Must have a whole lot more hp than DJ had in 1986...

Time has benefitted the v8's just the same as the turbo cars...

yep but that thing goes around corners well and he can drive too

#40 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 07 September 2013 - 12:19 AM

Yeah there is no doubt he can drive VERY well.. But that car has a CofD year of 1986, group A was only one step away from production car racing in 86.. Modern porting techniques & cam profiles at the least have woken up the old windsor! Look back in the day, a 1986 spec djr mustang wouldn't have kept up with jim richards in his 1990 spec hr31...

#41 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:06 PM

Yeah there is no doubt he can drive VERY well.. But that car has a CofD year of 1986, group A was only one step away from production car racing in 86.. Modern porting techniques & cam profiles at the least have woken up the old windsor! Look back in the day, a 1986 spec djr mustang wouldn't have kept up with jim richards in his 1990 spec hr31...

Hi Dave , I just hope nobody minds as we are getting off a little track with the original post with this as its sandown.

I just wanted to show you that the green mustang of bills isn't a big horsepower job as the torana is smack on 400hp and at the beginning of vid I slowly reel him in towards end of main .

However the stang is unreal on the exit of corners , see where he gets the blue/yellow commodore . Cheers Shaun.

#42 _Dustings_

_Dustings_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 06:32 PM

Willy was still on the track

#43 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:20 PM

i dont really know any of the guys driving but i doubt the fella driving the r32 is of the same calibre as Jim Richards is, Im sure if Jim was driving on the day not many would have come close, not taking anything away from the current driver as he seemed to be pedaling the car quite well but im sure Jim drove it alot harder seeing though he wasnt really trying to preserve it , Just my opinion  

edit

Also i know smooth is fast but the green mustang was coming out of turn 2 sideways most of the time on the day cause he was on it so hard

Edited by SS Hatchback, 07 September 2013 - 07:23 PM.

#44 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:21 PM

Bill can steer no question. Having Mick Webb around isn't a mistake either :)

I spoke to Bill and Mick about his speed at Lakeside. The car's mid corner mph was very good. On rails. Just exceptionally flat.

Like any successful race car it's a combination of things. Car, driver, team, track, understanding temp, PREPARATION, and tyres - I think Bill has struck on a good car/team/understanding and he CAN drive.

400hp is about on par with most of the 308's, including the STP car which is a little below that. Eds engine is now two plus years old and he is still very quick.

Package.

Edit: the Nissan is fast in a straight line. Jim can turn corners. Nuff said.......

Edited by CraigA, 07 September 2013 - 07:25 PM.

#45 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

Here is another shot of it , i had heaps of pics but photobucket is slow so too hard to post them all , enjoy

2014McM152_zps41cd3546.jpg

#46 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:36 PM

i dont really know any of the guys driving but i doubt the fella driving the r32 is of the same calibre as Jim Richards is, Im sure if Jim was driving on the day not many would have come close, not taking anything away from the current driver as he seemed to be pedaling the car quite well but im sure Jim drove it alot harder seeing though he wasnt really trying to preserve it , Just my opinion  

edit

Also i know smooth is fast but the green mustang was coming out of turn 2 sideways most of the time on the day cause he was on it so hard

That was Jim , he was driving with us at MCM , car #2

PS ,, Tim dustings you haven,t see the rest of the ? Turn 1 by memory

#47 _SS Hatchback_

_SS Hatchback_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:41 PM

That was Jim , he was driving with us at MCM , car #2

PS ,, Tim dustings you haven,t see the rest of the ? Turn 1 by memory

hahaha well there ya farkin go hey hahaha im surprised then :)

#48 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:48 PM

400hp is about on par with most of the 308's, including the STP car which is a little below that. Eds engine is now two plus years old and he is still very quick.

Depends which dyno you go to craig , I can,t reel Ed in down the main ! jesus I,d hate to see the new donk coming ...

#49 _CraigA_

_CraigA_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2013 - 07:53 PM

395FWHP last rebuild. The engine has done all last year and this season with a few oil changes and one set of plugs.

New engine will be a rocket but sealed.

Group A and C these days is a fast demo and not truly representative of car capability.

Edited by CraigA, 07 September 2013 - 07:56 PM.

#50 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 September 2013 - 08:05 PM

395FWHP last rebuild. The engine has done all last year and this season with a few oil changes and one set of plugs.

New engine will be a rocket but sealed.

Group A and C these days is a fast demo and not truly representative of car capability.

Watch out Milton !!!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users