Over it.

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#1 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:15 PM

Hey
As some of you may be aware I've gotten back into the seat of a torie again about 3 months ago and I'm into getting my GTR to a good spec,
I'm getting there with things like genuine hose clamps, genuine wire clips and I'm enjoying finding those little bits that are right for the car.
When I first picked it up it had the old running cold when your cruising and too hot when your not.
Naturally I checked the thermostat and sure enough none there, I put a new one in 77 degree and tool her for a spin.
Running between 180 and 260 F it was still too hot so I put a new water pump in and noticing there was nothing wrong with the old one I stick with the new one.
I then get a brand new radiator aftermarket of the net and put that in, still too hot.
I then get a new temperature sender just in case it's a faulty reading, nup exactly the same.
I then get my old radiator which is the original one for the car and has been beefed up to a 3 core, I get it reconditioned and put it in (today)
I go for a drive the sarvo and it only just keeps it cool about 200 F sitting about 4mm past the centre of the gauge.
If I let it sit and idle it would just eventually cook.
I'm over it, I just want to cruize worry free.
You could imagine how many times I've flushed the system and the amount of money just on coolant alone is enough to start s#\+ing me.
I'm thinking of pulling the thermostat out so it will run cool and put a thermo fan on for in the traffic.
I really want it to just sit bang centre or a bit less on the gauge.
Anyone got ant ideas?
It is the original matching block and head but has cam and tripples (this is the still unconfirmed police pack XU1 engine optioned GTR )
Regardless of what it is though these bits are staying on.
I had a 208 stroker years back that behaved similar but a small thermo would easily cool it in traffic and it only had a 2 row in it.
Yeah,
Ideas welcome

#2 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:18 PM

Checked the ignition timing recently?

#3 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:23 PM

What are the actual running temps, hi way and driveway?

If it's cool on the hi way and hot in the drive way and all else is good it may be air flow.

#4 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:25 PM

ign timing, carb tune, and check yoru lower radiator hose.

Its supposed to have a spring it it to stop it from sucking in. 

If you can squish it, its #@$^%&.

Cheers.

#5 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:26 PM

That's the only thing I haven't done, I'm waiting on a mates timing light, I might just back it off a bit and see what she does.
I'm a d\£<head, of course, I've been sitting back wondering why it's idling high too. (Talk about a blonde moment)
Hey it's been a while what's the number I'm chasing with the timing light.
Thanks champion.
I luv GMH

#6 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:29 PM

I checked the lower hose and the spring is good.
Interesting to know that one though I didn't know they could do that.

#7 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:33 PM

What are the actual running temps, hi way and driveway?If it's cool on the hi way and hot in the drive way and all else is good it may be air flow.

I'll pull the filters off and give them a clean, there's not much to them though they are the rounded ramflow type with only thin foam filter on them, I want to put the proper CD filers on them but they cost too much for this time of year.

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:34 PM

Yep. The spring is zinc plated, but still over a million years it corrodes and the spring falls apart, then the hose collapses, cuts off water supply to the water pump, you can figure there rest out.

Just thought i would mention it incase :D

Aaaand Edit i think Terra ment air flow through teh radiator not into the engine.

That said foam filers are gay and should be replaced.

Cheers.

Edited by Bomber Watson, 03 December 2013 - 09:35 PM.

#9 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:39 PM

I go with the ignition timing theory unless the block has had a .060+" overbore or the world's worst case of core shift.

#10 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:41 PM

It's one of those pain in the backside overheats.
If I start it in my shed it will just sit there ok for ages.
I could be cruising and all is good then the gauge will start to move.
Once it starts to get hot it takes a good rev and decent airflow to bring her back but then she won't come all the way back she comes back to move one drop of sweat off my face so I still have one.
Also when I first start it it will idle happily at 6 to 700 rpm which is where I want it but after driving it she wants to idle between 1000 and 1500.
This car was sitting around for along time when I bought it but apparently was tuned when I bought it, I kind of believe it as its got a new battery in it, unless that's all they did to sell it.

#11 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:44 PM

I go with the ignition timing theory unless the block has had a .060+" overbore or the world's worst case of core shift.

I can only pray its not a 60 thou.

#12 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

What pressure is your radiator cap? And how old is it?

#13 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:45 PM

I'll pull the filters off and give them a clean, there's not much to them though they are the rounded ramflow type with only thin foam filter on them, I want to put the proper CD filers on them but they cost too much for this time of year.

Air flow... thru the radiator...

#14 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

Photo of engine bay and fan details please?

#15 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:48 PM

What pressure is your radiator cap? And how old is it?

The radiator cap is brand new and the correct pressure for a 72 GTR, that is one of the good things about it is its mostly original so most parts are right out of the book.

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

It's one of those pain in the backside overheats.
If I start it in my shed it will just sit there ok for ages.
I could be cruising and all is good then the gauge will start to move.
Once it starts to get hot it takes a good rev and decent airflow to bring her back but then she won't come all the way back she comes back to move one drop of sweat off my face so I still have one.
Also when I first start it it will idle happily at 6 to 700 rpm which is where I want it but after driving it she wants to idle between 1000 and 1500.
This car was sitting around for along time when I bought it but apparently was tuned when I bought it, I kind of believe it as its got a new battery in it, unless that's all they did to sell it.

Never, EVER, EVER, EVER EVEREVEREVEREVER trust some hillbilly you purchased a vehicle off's tuning ability.

I could walk downstairs, piss on one of my cars, and proclaim it as being tuned. And theres a 90% chance it would be tuned better than a few things myself or mates have picked up that have been "tuned by a pro"

Cheers.

#17 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:50 PM

From the original post...

I had a 208 stroker years back that behaved similar but a small thermo would easily cool it in traffic and it only had a 2 row in it.
Yeah,
Ideas welcome

#18 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

I ran the engine till it was warm before putting the cap back on so the thermostat opened, water resavour is half full and fan is standard GTR,[attachment=36323:image.jpg][attachment=36323:image.jpg]

#19 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

I could walk downstairs, piss on one of my cars, and proclaim it as being tuned. And theres a 90% chance it would be tuned better than a few things myself or mates have picked up that have been "tuned by a pro"

Cheers.

so sad is the image but very true.

#20 Litre8

Litre8

Thrillseeker

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,399 posts
  • Name:Howard
  • Car:1976 LX SLR8000

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:54 PM

^^ Bomber, isn't that how you always tune your cars? :)

#21 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 09:58 PM

Stock standard fan, worked motor, biggish cam, on the hi way it's fine, in traffic it cooks?

What's your compression like?

#22 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:00 PM

^^ Bomber, isn't that how you always tune your cars? :)

Its where you piss that makes all the difference, took me years to work out the sweet spot (no im not sharing)

#23 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:02 PM

Disregard the last photo it's from the ad when I bought it, here is a fresh one

#24 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:04 PM

200f should be about right with a 77c thermostat , how cold are you trying to run it ?. If its running hot when idling, it may have the fan to far away from the radiator. What size water pump and what size fan spacer does it have ?.

#25 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:05 PM

Your crankcase breather setup needs some work, but thats not your immediate issue. 

Agree with the fan spacer idea above.

Cheers. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users