Over heating, over it

Over it.

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#26 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:06 PM

Stock standard fan, worked motor, biggish cam, on the hi way it's fine, in traffic it cooks?What's your compression like?

Yeah pretty much,
Don't have a compression tester.
Once xmass is over ill give it to my mechanic to tune the carbs, that's past me, but still would like to drive it in the meantime.
I now know where they get the term worry gauges.

#27 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

On a side note, that radiator you just got done, has e dent in the top tank, I would never let something like that go out the door. So easy to tap it out while you got the tanks off, poor work sorry.

#28 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

I've moved to the garage. The fan is exactly 18mm from the radiator

#29 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:09 PM

Check the comp BEFORE you hand the car over for tuning.
Hi comp, low air flow and poor tune is a recipe for a blown head gasket.

#30 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:10 PM

If it's been sitting a while , all the crap out of the block will be flushed into the radiator , from a cold start run until top of radiator is hot , turn off and stick your hand all over the cores and see if there are any cold spots ,if so blocked radiator .

#31 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:13 PM

I've moved to the garage. The fan is exactly 18mm from the radiator

#32 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:14 PM

If it's been sitting a while check booster , if diaphragm had slit it can cause it to run lean and over heat .

#33 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:15 PM

If it's been sitting a while , all the crap out of the block will be flushed into the radiator , from a cold start run until top of radiator is hot , turn off and stick your hand all over the cores and see if there are any cold spots ,if so blocked radiator .

Can't be, I've literally flushed it 8 times in 2 months and my 3 core just got reco'd and I fitted today.

#34 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:18 PM

If it's been sitting a while check booster , if diaphragm had slit it can cause it to run lean and over heat .

The booster is past me ill get the mechanic to check that one tomorrow.

#35 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:24 PM

Are you sure it is the right cap? It looks like it has recovery system written on it.

#36 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:26 PM

On a side note, that radiator you just got done, has e dent in the top tank, I would never let something like that go out the door. So easy to tap it out while you got the tanks off, poor work sorry.

I agree it s#%+'s me too. I won't be going back to that place, I got that quality and he had it for a week.
At least it's the original though.

Are you sure it is the right cap? It looks like it has recovery system written on it.

Yeah it's connected to a recovery system.

#37 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

Sorry missed that

#38 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

I agree it s#%+'s me too. I won't be going back to that place, I got that quality and he had it for a week.
At least it's the original though.

Did he fit a new core?

#39 _Gunmetal LH_

_Gunmetal LH_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:31 PM

Revs going up once warmed up?  Possible air leak on the intake?  Might be running lean and hot.

Grab a cup of water and dribble it over the intake gaskets and see if the revs change?

#40 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:33 PM

Ok cheers all, I'll do the timing on Thursday and see if I can find a spacer 10mm closer, and get the booster diaphragm looked at.

#41 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:36 PM

Revs going up once warmed up?  Possible air leak on the intake?  Might be running lean and hot.

Grab a cup of water and dribble it over the intake gaskets and see if the revs change?

That's a good one, ill check that cause at times it smells like its running lean.
It does need a flange gasket but I've been holding of cause its a shit of a job, might bite the bullet do that and check the inlet as they could be related.

#42 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 03 December 2013 - 10:38 PM

That's a good one, ill check that cause at times it smells like its running lean.
It does need a flange gasket but I've been holding of cause its a shit of a job, might bite the bullet do that and check the inlet as they could be related.

Wouldn't be too hard to change the inlet gaskets, could be worth doing the lot, inlet, exhaust and flange, i will be pulling off the exhaust to do the flange anyway.

#43 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:28 AM

Did he fit a new core?

Na it was only %30 blocked

#44 _Nitter_

_Nitter_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 07:37 AM

I had the same problem as you, temp great at cruise but traffic or hills would send it hot quickly.

I changed pump from the Chinese to the cast iron impellor because someone said they were shit

I did thermostat, timing, hoses, flushing, coolants, rust inhibitors....everything except the new radiator (because it was new!!)

I put a shitty radiator I had laying around as a last resort and problem fixed

Apparently original style radiators are no longer made in this country and the quality is rubbish!

#45 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:00 AM

I just went to my mechanic and got the timing checked, no wonder it was idling high it was running at 35 degrees, even I know that's massive.
He turned it down to about 18 and would have liked to go more but didn't want to tune the carbs as its a waste of time cause I'm doing the exhaust in the near future, I was holding off on my flange gasket for this reason.
Still gets hot in traffic though, I think I might have to bite the bullet and put a thermo fan on it, I wanted it to stay as original as possible but I'd sooner that than cook her original motor.
Ill replace inlet and exhaust manifold gaskets when I do the flange. (Bloody old cars) luv em when they are singing though.
Once we get over xmass ill put it in with her new exhaust and get her tuned.

#46 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:07 AM

Was that 35 initial or total? And the current 18?

#47 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 09:55 AM

Na it was only 30% blocked

I'm not liking the sound of this.

Are the finns on the core in top condition?
was the dent there before he "cleaned" the radiator?

I've been point at air flow but if the radiator is less efficient than it should be it would be similar symptoms.

Do you have access to another known good radiator you could substitute for yours for testing?

#48 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:01 AM

Given that you have identified a small problem with ignition timing, are you sure your dissy is graphed to suit your engine? That might be a reason why as well.

Some years ago I had a modified twin cam in a corolla, the dissy work we did to make it right was extremely important.

cheers

Glenn

#49 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:06 AM

#50 hanra

hanra

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,835 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 04 December 2013 - 10:16 AM

Still gets hot in traffic though, I think I might have to bite the bullet and put a thermo fan on it, I wanted it to stay as original as possible but I'd sooner that than cook her original motor.

That could be just a band-aid measure. If possible I would get to the root cause of the problem.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users