Over heating, over it

Over it.

• Please log in to reply
100 replies to this topic

#76 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 05 December 2013 - 10:29 PM

When most of my cars mine was going at their best , they would have a little ping up Knapsack Hill , near Alex's home .

#77 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 06 December 2013 - 01:52 AM

Hi Alex,

Did you forward flush and reverse flush the heater core by it self,with both hoses disconnected at the thermostate housing,and make sure its not half blocked there and can cause problems of over heating too,and water not running freely from the cooling system off the radiator.

Regards John.

Edited by frash da bucket, 06 December 2013 - 01:54 AM.

#78 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 04:21 PM

No I didn't John but if the heater is off there's no flow through it anyway is there?
Ill pull the hoses off and flush it through 1 hose than through the other.
Cheers.

#79 _Evil_Homer_

_Evil_Homer_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:15 PM

is the fan on the correct way?

not sure if they can be put on wrong way round on a holden 6 but have seen it done before

its meant to pull air threw the radiator and over the engine

Edited by Evil_Homer, 06 December 2013 - 05:17 PM.

#80 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 05:59 PM

Hey that's a good one I will check that as it feels like something isn't s adding up, no way would I have thought of checking that, I'm putting new inlet manifold and exhaust gaskets on cause ther is a tiny leak in the exhaust manifold gasket and definatly needs new flange gaskets on the headers so I'll do the lot, it will be a good chance to give the headers a paint them in cast alloy colour, anyone know of that's correct colour for it.
Then once done I'm giving it to my mechanic for a new harmonic balance just to make sure the numbers are in the right position and he can give it a proper tune.
I can't expect too much from the old girl at present, she looks good but she has only done 750k's in 10 years and I reckon I nearly did that the first night I bought her.
So an overhaul of her minor working bits has to happen, she deserves it, she treats me mean and we all know the rest.

#81 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 December 2013 - 07:06 PM

Just checked, the fan has pressed ribs so you would have to be both very stupid and very persistant to put it on backwards.

Good call though.

New stock balancer is $44 from presision, money well spent i recon.

Cheers.

#82 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,546 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 06 December 2013 - 08:14 PM

Your engine fan is OK.

post-47075-0-95824400-1386072752.jpg

#83 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:48 AM

Hi Alex,

There is flow still going through it,its only a hinged flap to stop the hot air coming through into the car.Mine was half blocked,and what a huge difference when I flushed it out alex.

#84 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 07 December 2013 - 05:22 AM

No worries John thanks mate will do that at some stage today, I got my original radiator reco'd and put it back in, I realized after a closer inspection it was already a 3core.
I did notice the inlet and outlet for the heater at the thermostat housing had a bit of gunk in it and I actually had to push a screwdriver through it.

#85 tiny dancer

tiny dancer

Forum Participant

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 17 posts
  • Name:russell dennis
  • Car:LJ

Posted 07 December 2013 - 07:51 AM

Hi Alex have you checked that there are no combustion gases in cooling system not all compression leaks are big also borrow a digital thermometer and check temperature of top of radiator and then check bottom of radiator cores there should be a significant difference in temperatures hot at the top cooler at bottom this would confirm if radiator was doing its job or not something else to consider back in the 70s i had a 149 engine in a HD holden that ran for 3 years with the head gasket on backwards it had an overheating problem on long runs but was not severe the thick cylinder walls saved it from more severe problems also recalibrate harmonic balancer with a top dead centre tool or make one from an old spark plug. good luck

#86 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 07 December 2013 - 12:11 PM

Hi Alex,

So you had to run a screw driver through it,your thermostate housing,you can imagine what your heater core going to be like,as you told me alex,it sat for a long time mate.

Regards John.

#87 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:26 AM

I flushed the radiator core and to my surprise it was clean so ill start my gaskets this arvo.
John do you remember if the flage gasket is the large circlip like a massive thick washer that sits inside the to plates, or is it the same as the exhaust manifold gasket material and thin with a big hole in the middle and the bolt hole either side.

#88 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,546 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 08 December 2013 - 08:10 AM

Alex, the cast iron manifold to exhaust pipe seal is the thick double taper doughnut type.

For the LC GTR and XU1 twin manifolds you need two seals.

#89 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

Yeah thanks Dave I took the front manifold up to repco and they sorted it for me, they had one at 2 different stores so its been a pretty big day,
They are now sandwiched between 2 flages covered in exhaust putty just to make sure, what a difference they make.

#90 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 05:29 PM

Didnt get a inlet/exhaust to head gasket while you were are Ripco? Generally with the Ripco kits these come with the exhaust flange gasket, ie the one you purchased.

Cheers. 

#91 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:26 PM

Here is a photo of inlet maniflod off with carbies[attachment=36438:image.jpg]

#92 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:30 PM

Here is the photo of it all off before a clean,
Clearly fuel was leaking out by the looks so the stains

#93 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:34 PM

Photos of job finished, all clean, headers brushed with no paint added and manifold polished, just to make sure I put gasket sealant around every port.

#94 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2013 - 07:36 PM

I'm looking forward to putting on my genuine GTR chrome rocket cover, will tidy it up heaps.

#95 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 08 December 2013 - 09:31 PM

Hi Alex,

I just read your posts,so heater box was clean as,so did you have to replace the header studs?I can see you buffed up the headers they came up a treat,that factory look.

I'm glad that it has fixed your exhaust leaks know.I was busy all day outside today doing the lawns with clover and bindi weed killer,and gardening too.

Regards John.

#96 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 06:22 AM

No the studs were good up top the ones at where the exhaust meets were border line but after a wire brush came up ok, thank god, didn't want to bugger around snapping re-tapping stud holes. I actually think I could have just tightened the flages as they were loose but I already had the parts so job done

#97 frash da bucket

frash da bucket

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,890 posts

Posted 09 December 2013 - 07:20 AM

Hi Alex,

So the exhaust  flanges were loose hey,its good you have fitted fresh ones and manifold gasket,at least you know you won't have any issures there for 20 years or so,thats how long they last for the exhaust flanges and studs and depends how much you drive it too.

And should be running better also now.

Regards John.

#98 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:38 PM

Good to see the issues getting sorted!

Are you sure those carbies are era correct xu1? Ignoring the incorrect fuel lines etc. They just dont look right?

Edited by Gonad Gobbler, 09 December 2013 - 05:39 PM.

#99 _GTR 82911_

_GTR 82911_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:49 PM

Yeah not sure I'm not in a rush to sort it, I won't now dates on the carbies untill I check I side them.
Either way they look and sound good so they are staying, doesn't really matter either way cause its a GTR not an XU1 so realistically they shouldn't be there.
There's no way of proving the dealer put them on for the police either or if its a police pack, and not that that matters too,
I'm just happy she's running nice. All good

#100 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 09 December 2013 - 05:53 PM

Yeah fair enough... You only need to remove the filters and plates to see codes.... They just dont look right... If you are going to go the original look might be worth checking....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users