1990 Harley XL1200

• Please log in to reply
275 replies to this topic

#226 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 05:42 AM

That's a good old school look. A mate had one very similar once, looked like it belonged on an SU, cool look.

After this bike, my next 4 all had the bug catcher type. Basically cause that's what came with the 113" engines.
Although the are on every second bike, well used to be, I like the S&S tear drop too.

Sorry for the hijack Jacob :)

#227 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2014 - 09:34 AM

they are a cool looking air cleaner, good old school look. Wouldn't have anything to do with the fact it looks like is off a Holden six would it? ;)

Since I made this one, my next 4 were all bug catcher style as that's what comes on a 113' engine

Sorry for the hijack Jacob

#228 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:48 AM

They are a cool look, somewhat like a Holden six ;)

After this bike my next 4 all had bug catcher type air cleaners, mainly cause that's what came with a 113" engine

Sorry for the hijack Jacob

#229 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 05:50 AM

Just saw what happened above. I tried to respond a couple of times yesterday but wouldnt save. Then they all did at once.

Oh well ............ Moving on.............

#230 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:51 AM

Lol.

Yeah im fitting three the same to the lj haha.

There a fair bit bigger element size than most of your harley or su cleaners.

#231 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 04:25 PM

Actually thats not a bad idea DJ. 

Grant what do you do? Build bikes for fun or work?

Pics were gold though, i definitely know whats going on. Id really like an easy way of making up my carby flange. Maybe ill email SE and complain that the one they never sent me was bent, haha wishful thinking. I've also half ordered new chain and sprockets. Is this a big job with the chain on the exhaust side? Shouldnt be i dont think. 

#232 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:30 PM

Not for work bud, just for shits and giggles.
Built the first from scratch, frame, triple trees, guards , exhaust and even the rear wheel hub and centre. This was the only way I could afford to get a chopper. I sold this due to needing the coin, then started on another one. This is when I started importing parts from the States. I then built and sold 6 more. The last one was sold to fund the Torana. Once I get that sorted and stop blowing up engines, I will start another one.

Chain and sprocket shouldn't have too many surprises.

I definitely don't know everything about them, but I kow enough to get me where I want to go :)

#233 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

Yeah nah that sounds about right, sort of like what im doing. Once i get myself into a better place ill definitely be upgrading. I think the hardest part about these bikes is getting them jacked up, and being patient enough to take your time and not rush finishing so you can ride. Haha.

I also found some pipes to buy, Hooker troublemaker. Do you know the type? Around $300 or so i hope its a good price. 

#234 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:49 PM

They are fine. Once again I'm fairly sure they are straight outs, and no heat shields. You get what you pay for though. If that was the look I wanted, and suited my budget, I would buy them.

#235 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 06:58 PM

Here is where I first started.
First up, a full size set out
Attached File  image.jpg   88.88K   1 downloads

Then the build and dummy up, note the triple trees pre polish

Attached File  image.jpg   102.99K   1 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   101.24K   1 downloads

Then apart for paint

Attached File  image.jpg   98.84K   1 downloads

At its first show

Attached File  image.jpg   110.25K   1 downloads

Then as I sold it. Note the home made pipes

Attached File  image.jpg   104.62K   2 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   105.94K   1 downloads

#236 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

Wow mate got some real enjoyment out of those pics. Something really old school about that. Good on you for getting stuck into it. I cant wait to pull a bike to pieces, whichever bike it may be. Almost as fun as pulling toranas to bits, probably less headaches. Yeah i might go for the pipes, its the look i want so ill make them fit. What is your opinion on mounting a light to the lower trip tree? Can it be drilled or should i do something less permanent? 

#237 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 07:56 PM

No reason why you can't mount to the bottom tree in my opinion, big twins are mounted there

#238 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 08:20 PM

How did you bend the pipes to the nice big radius Grant?

Jacob, just as many headaches, but only take up 1/3rd the room when there in bits lol. 

Cheers. 

#239 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2014 - 09:38 PM

Took a Length of pipe and had it rolled. They are both the same radius , but for some reason they sat one on top of the other perfectly.

#240 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 10:04 AM

Hahah exactly. Bloody space savers they are. 

And i suppose i can mount it to the bottom i just didnt want to drill the triple tree. I'd put an aftermarket light but too much wiring and i cant be bothered.

Anyway im waiting on these to get here from QLD. Hooker Troublemaker scallop cut. Was a good price considering they are lik $800 rrp and probably 500 if someones trying to flog them off. 

They are like these ones. I've always loved radius but VH pipes are stupidly inflated and everyone has them (walka's) bike. Notice his other bike has similar pipes to what you made, Grant. Started a trend you did.

geksterrisde005.jpg

69334d1253630344-hooker-troublemakers-sc

#241 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 01:09 PM

They look good. Just kep in mind to keep your heal way from them. It's a bugger to clean off burnt rubber from the pipes.

Will transform the look of your bike big time

#242 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 21 February 2014 - 05:32 PM

Yeah. Im chasing a certain look and i think these will help. People say oh they look not bad, but at the end of the day i know they are stock and it doesnt do it for me. I'd really like to widen the rear end but it might prove difficult. Can i buy wheel covers to make the spoked wheel look solid? 

#243 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 07:45 AM

Great thread guys, I didn't know so many Harley enthusiasts were also Torana lovers....;-)

Here's a pic of my 2008 Softail Deluxe I bought in from the states last year...

IMG_8102_zps67576589.jpg

"Cheers"

Alf

#244 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:20 AM

Beautiful, thing is HUGE though. Handle good?

#245 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 February 2014 - 08:27 AM

I think there would be a lot more than you realise 2600s. Nice bike

Jacob, I don't know of a cover but that's not to say they are not out there. Would want to be very secure though, could get ugly

^^ built for cruising, definitely not handling :) would be a nice smooth cruise through

#246 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 22 February 2014 - 06:44 PM

Handles beautifully...;-0

#247 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 23 February 2014 - 08:47 PM

Fantastic, very shiny. I bet you have fun cleaning it :)

So now that my exhaust is sorted, i just have to flip my front headlight and re wire the accessory lights. I remembered that the tank actually has a few lights that are no in use, so i will just wire them up to work. One for headlight, one for oil, and one which is GEN. Do i need this? Also going to make a tank lift as i finally realised what was bothering me about the overall look of the bike. Im pretty excited, i actually think it is going to look pretty good after those three things are done. 

Does anyone know what they should show on the multimeter when running? 

#248 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:14 PM

So after a bit of stuffing around i managed to get away with not moving my rear brake lever. Ill have to weld an extension onto it but it will be good for now. Also have to make up a bracket for one pipe, the other presses up onto the rear M/C which is not fantastic but not much i can do. They sound really good and give the bike a very snappy throttle. It's down on power though and running a bit rich but definitely worth it.

Click the picture below to listen to how they sound. 

IMG_3862_zpsc36e3191.jpg
th_IMG_3863_zps453cb470.jpg

Also started my intake, i've gotten myself a mandrel bend in stainless and im going to have a crack out of making my own flange with some plate and the oxy. No one really wants to make one without a laser cutter. Grant can i ask if you know the part number of the filters you use as i couldnt find anything off the shelf at autobarn. The smallest was 3" but even then the pod was massive and not the slim style you see on bikes. 

After this ill get stuck onto the headlight. I should really wait until winter but im too impatient.

#249 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 11 March 2014 - 05:19 PM

Or grant if you have any second hand filters i'd be happy to throw some money your way, doesnt have to be new as long as it's washable i have to oil to recharge it. Thanks

#250 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 26 March 2014 - 12:59 PM

Nevermind found the filter i want 
http://www.knfilters...px?prod=RC-3680

Theres also a cone shape im not sure which to go for. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users