Holden six cylinder head 101.

• Please log in to reply
180 replies to this topic

#26 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2013 - 11:34 AM

Thread is a good idea. Needs more EFI and EST to complete.

#27 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:14 PM

if you where to build a still bomber the product produced would be only used in the interests of science in any case.....right ????/

My still is just a chemistry set! :stirpot:

#28 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2013 - 01:20 PM

if you where to build a still bomber the product produced would be only used in the interests of science in any case.....right ????/

Certainly, home made E85, with offshots of Methanol...

Thread is a good idea. Needs more EFI and EST to complete.

I agree, sadly i dont have a EFI head and even then there hard to pick from blue/black normal ones, so picks may not work. 

If anyone has any good picks of EFI black heads please PM me.

EST....Yeah....Na....Not in this thread. 

Cheers. 

#29 _Muzzy_

_Muzzy_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2013 - 05:24 PM

Small chamber 12 port Blue head
Intake valve 42mm. Exhaust valve 37mm
This head is the std head for a 2850 engines if fitted to a 3300 compression ratio will rise to approx 10.5:1

Attached Files

#30 _Ned Loh_

_Ned Loh_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:51 AM

EST....Yeah....Na....Not in this thread. 

Cheers. 

Hey Bomber,

only suggesting to help people can pick the difference with EFI head.

Cheers.

#31 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:45 AM

As i said, i dont have such things, someone else?

#32 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts
  • Name:Stinga
  • Car:HD Holden ute, and sedan, UC torana

Posted 27 December 2013 - 11:57 AM

how do you id an efi head? was it the est head that had the air pump fittings? or was that on blue heads?

#33 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:20 PM

The black efi engine I had in the HZ had an air pump on it,I pissed it off when I took off the injection,the efi heads had a 3/8 thread above the inlet ports,other than that I don't know

#34 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 02:31 PM

are you sure it wasnt an earlier engine with the efi fitted to it? and above the inlet is the head bolt, you mean exhaust?

#35 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:51 PM

nah was a black engine for sure,and your right would have to be the exhaust ports,old age catching up,was about 15 years ago I did that swap

#36 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 27 December 2013 - 03:55 PM

i was meaning possibly the black carb engine with the efi fitted?

#37 stevemc32

stevemc32

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Name:Steve
  • Car:LJ 4 Door

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:18 PM

The VK workshop manual says definitely no air pump on the EFI engine.

I can't share any knowledge on the EFI head but I do believe I have one here so I've taken some pics to try to identify it.

Attached File  1dscn2038.jpg   142.63K   18 downloads

Attached File  1dscn2042.jpg   146.4K   14 downloads

Part number is 92018914 and cast date 29H5

Attached File  1dscn2044.jpg   148.31K   10 downloads

Attached File  1dscn2051.jpg   144.71K   11 downloads

If you want pics of any part in particular let me know.

#38 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2013 - 07:31 PM

That's right, the EFI didn't have air injection. I've got both efi and carb heads here (black), plus small chamber blue. I'll grab some photos if it will help.

#39 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 27 December 2013 - 09:52 PM

That's right, the EFI didn't have air injection.

Correct. And the computer only controlled injection, not spark. These still had mechanical/vac advance.(HEI type dizzy
)
EST, spark control, was only on the carbureted engines. The pick-up was in the bellhousing.

WB blue 202 (commercial) didn't have an air pump.

#40 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2013 - 10:49 PM

Car is long gone now but I'm sure the engine had an air pump on it,maybe it didn't,i took off the injection system and fitted blue manifolds,carbie and dizzy to it,it came out of a Vk,what would the threaded "ports " have been in the head,I could be barking up the wrong tree here been many beers since I did that little exercize

#41 _Lazarus_

_Lazarus_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 12:34 AM

They're easy to pic.

Non EFI heads have a lump in the top of the exhaust ports and a threaded hole coming through. The Blue heads also have this but have threaded plugs sealing the holes whereas the Black heads have the pipework.

#42 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 01:00 AM

Well done son 

#43 LJ RB30

LJ RB30

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 974 posts
  • Name:Trevor

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:15 PM

I always thought only the 2.8 blues had air pumps as have never seen any on 3.3's.

But have been know to be wrong

#44 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,125 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:22 PM

My mates vk with a 202 black has an air pump from factory

#45 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:27 PM

Now that might explain things,did the air pump supply air to the head or the manifold,the engine was definitely a 3.3 litre,pity I didn't take piccies of it lol

#46 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:36 PM

Black EFI - no air

Black Carb - air

Blue 3.3 - some with air, some without

Blue 2.8 - some with air, some without

Perhaps someone like DrTerry can clarify which blues had air and which didn't. But if you are building a 12 port engine for performance work the heads to look for are the blue 2.8 (small chamber) and the black EFI (big chamber).

#47 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:37 PM

The Black EFI 202 has an auxiliary air valve to allow additional air to bypass the throttle body to help maintain idle quality when cold.

No air pump on the EFI engine that I know of.

#48 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 04:39 PM

To be perfectly honest i've never seen an air pump setup in my lifetime.

They were obviously all ripped off before i got into these things about 10 years ago.

That said, i have a concert/party/afterparty to attend tonight, so tomorow im not going to feel like doing frOck all due to hungoverness, i will endeavour to fight the pain and get a better draft of the original post, with some of the new info gathered, plus some more i have gathered, and see if a mod cant put it up.

EVERYBODY'S SUGGESTION HAS BEEN CONSIDERED. And one day, its most likely that everybody's suggestion thus far will be included. But im not guaranteeing you that your idea will be present tomorrow. 

That doesnt mean i hate you, just that i either hate you or dont have enough info on the subject (later model stuff is still scarse really) to be able to comment.

Now, you all have about 18 hours, DOES ANYONE SEE ANY GLARING ERRORS WITH THE FIRST POST???

Or, is the information i provided, though a bit sparse at times, correct? It is in my mind but there are guys here who know more.

Cheers. 

#49 Stinga

Stinga

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,114 posts

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:41 PM

They're easy to pic.

Non EFI heads have a lump in the top of the exhaust ports and a threaded hole coming through. The Blue heads also have this but have threaded plugs sealing the holes whereas the Black heads have the pipework.

It might just be me, but i dont think thats a very clear description, non efi heads, is that black carb, or any 12 port other than efi?

for the non efi head description, do you mean a lump in the top of the exhaust port and the casting where the threaded hole would normally be is blank?

just trying to get the clearest description as i have never had much to do with 12 ports

#50 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2013 - 07:44 PM

I don't know how detailed you want to make it Bomber, and there's the risk of making it too detailed and hard to read, but there's another couple of things you might want to mention (or ignore): Valve sizes - there were a few different valve combos used in the reds, basically the later and bigger the engine the bigger the valves used. I could probably dig up some specific sizes though I guess most people would replace them anyway.

Chamber shapes - we commonly refer to big and small chambers but in reality there were a dozen or so chamber shapes used. Someone posted a page somewhere (oldholden or something like that) that had photos and casting numbers for most of them. I think I may have a copy somewhere and if so I'll send it to you, or if someone else here has the web address you could just link to that.

Some of the later heads (especially 12 ports) had additional mounting bosses at the front right side which is handy for things like aircon or a blower drive.

Maybe this stuff is too trivial to warrant including. But if you leave it out I'll assume you hate me and just sit here sobbing quietly in the corner...

Edited by oldjohnno, 28 December 2013 - 07:45 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users