Triple CD Strombergs tuning with balance gauge

• Please log in to reply
83 replies to this topic

#26 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2014 - 07:34 PM

That would make an interesting write up. Would your average ryco gauge not read the vaccum, or would it not be accurate? 

#27 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:01 PM

That would make an interesting write up. Would your average ryco gauge not read the vaccum, or would it not be accurate? 

It just wouldn't be accurate enough. Even a dodgy homemade manometer (ie. jar of water, clear tubing, stick, tape measure and zip ties) will easily show variations of + or - 1mm of water. Not that you really need that level of accuracy but you'd certainly want something better than a dial type gauge.

#28 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 04 January 2014 - 10:44 PM

The bloke that did my tuning used a cone shaped gauge with a clear housing and a red dial. Dont think it had any water...

What can i search for more information on the homemade job you have explained. Wouldnt mind making one just need to better understand how it works. 

#29 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:16 AM

The bloke that did my tuning used a cone shaped gauge with a clear housing and a red dial. Dont think it had any water..

Could this be that tool? http://www.sumidel.c...or-synchrometer

IMO, they are very easy to use and damn sensitive too.

#30 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:05 AM

I've used the above gauge on my carbs and find it an excellent tool and it doesn't restrict the air flow so you can leave it on the carb longer than other types from what I've read.

JD

#31 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,558 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:31 AM

A properly set up carby balancer will not be restricting the air flow. If it is you will know because the engine revs will drop when you place it on the carby and the vacuum indicator on the tool will max out.

I bought one of those synchrometers years ago, great piece of kit..

#32 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,106 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:44 AM

For the $70-80 I paid for mine I don't see why you would spend a couple of hours making one that won't be near the quality of the products already available. It's a necessity to have in your tool box if you own a multi carbed engine. Once you've paid for a decent one you'll be glad you did, I am.

JD

#33 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,005 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:03 AM

:party:

Attached Files

#34 _oldjohnno_

_oldjohnno_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 10:43 AM

why you would spend a couple of hours making one that won't be near the quality of the products already available..
JD

I agree, but I can also understand why someone might want to make a manometer style tool. One, just for the fun of making it, and two, it's going to be much more sensitive than any off-the-shelf tool even though it won't look as nice.

But really, for all practical purposes the method Rodomo showed is as good as any.

#35 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 01:41 PM

The hose method seems a little inaccurate to me to be honest. But that may have been the only method at the time, I'm sure someone will know. Anyhow to be honest I like making tools and I get more satisfaction out of home made gear than I do store bought. But by all means I will welcome any gifts that might be a synchro meter

#36 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 04:53 PM

:party:

Will that method work on CDs strommys?

#37 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 05:02 PM

The hose method

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=xRExxNcUVt0

#38 brocks72xu1

brocks72xu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 730 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:07 PM

My mechanic uses the hose method,has used it all his life .even watch some wankers on here bag him out at the nostalgia drags at eastern creek.love it when there jaws drop when he blows the doors of them.big dollar motors struggling to do 13 seconds,they all use top of range gear and he just uses a funnel and hose,statoscope and flat blade screw driver

#39 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,005 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 07:50 PM

Yes, it works on both SU's and CD's. I've been tuning multiples forever this way and never had a problem.

It's an art form and involves patience.........................a rare atribute

Edited by rodomo, 05 January 2014 - 07:51 PM.

#40 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 08:03 PM

Not saying it doesnt work, but for it to be accurate you need to have experience. Just like a musician hears more to a song than the average person. 

#41 rodomo

rodomo

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,005 posts

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:13 PM

Exactly....................And how hard would it be for someone in the know to make a gizmo to read the pitch of the "hiss"?

#42 _judgelj_

_judgelj_
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2014 - 09:49 PM

Well to be honest i dont see why a guitar tuner would work. So long as you could extend the inbuilt mic to sit inside the throat of the carb and not pick up any ambient noise. In fact sounds like a pretty damn cool gizmo. 

#43 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2014 - 08:25 PM

Check this method out,looks to tech for me. How does it work?

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=3_1S-izfXMk

#44 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:42 AM

The dial indicator sits on top of the piston, so when the idle screw is opened or closed the piston rises or lowers, so by adjusting the idle screws so that all the indicators are all adjusted to "zero". Whilst this would work accurately, you still need to have multiple indicators at about $30 for cheapies plus the adaptor, so a Uni-Syn or what other brands are available or a piece of hose work very well. I personally use a Uni-Syn which I've had for 30 something years. 

#45 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2014 - 07:32 PM

Guys,

i didn't watch the whole vid , as my kids have used up all the bandwidth , little shits , it ticks over in two days LOL.

but it may be of interest to others , when my full un shaped bandwidth comes back in two days i will have a look.

i have one of the meters that James has Jdjd 

G

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=2PiQBr20kM8

but its a manometer system and also shows the pipes and set up. until this vid i had no idea what a manometer was LOL

Edited by Agent 34, 08 January 2014 - 07:35 PM.

#46 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 08 January 2014 - 09:30 PM

l. I personally use a Uni-Syn which I've had for 30 something years. 

Hey Warrenm, what is this Uni-Syn you speak of?

#47 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,558 posts

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:56 PM

Hey Warrenm, what is this Uni-Syn you speak of?

http://www.sumidel.c...or-synchroniser

#48 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 January 2014 - 07:07 AM

Thanks S pack. The Uni-Syn works much the same way as the balancer in the 1st post.

Check this vid from 1:45 it shows him using the balancer.

#49 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2014 - 08:34 PM

Thanks Warrenm. In the vid he checks the mixtures using a screw driver to lift the pistons and listens for the change and makes the necessary adjustments.

What I would like to know is will that system work on CD Strommys. As in the past all Iv'e done is set the mixture by taking the plastic screw thingy off the top of the carby and put a small rod down there and then turn the mixture screw in until it just touches the bottom of the piston and wind it out 2 1/4 turns as per all the XU-1 specs.

Hope all that makes sense?

Cheers,John.

#50 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,558 posts

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:51 PM

John,

Using a screwdriver to check the mixture setting works the same for SU's and CD strombergs. Some CD carbs had a built in air valve lifting pin to test the mixture setting.

Lift the air valve no more than about 1mm with the screwdriver. If the engine speed decreases then the mixture is weak or lean, if engine speed increases then the mixture is rich and if the engine speed stays constant or just decreases slightly then you are on the money.

Cheers

Dave.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users