62 replies to this topic

#26 Peter UC

Peter UC

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 765 posts

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:06 AM

I think drop the engine and driveline into the LC including the wheels. Have it sitting coke can height. I would look mean as B) . Your right it is 'just' a 4 door (no offence meant) and you would want a good sound shell to take the grunt. However you would want to brace the shell, I could see the crakes in the A piller from here.

#27 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 31 December 2005 - 03:51 PM

Mate you have one beautiful VH there, it is neat and tidy with a hint of custom and plenty of go. My opinion is to keep it like that. I know we are all Torrie ppl here and that you must be spewing about having to ditch the original TREMOR but I think this piece of machinary deserves a long and fun life eating rice. My 2 cents.

Peace,

#28 LXdamo

LXdamo

Still Lurking

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts
  • Name:Damo
  • Car:bits here bits there.....

Posted 31 December 2005 - 09:55 PM

I would put the good gear in the torana.Looks like your havin a ball with the commy,but the torana would be a bit lighter and would go even quicker(in theory)
Good luck with you choice!!!!!
Cheers Damo

#29 _1QUICK LJ_

_1QUICK LJ_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 02:03 AM

if i had a good looking commie like that, i would only swap to a 2 door lc-lj i dont think its worth loosing such a nice car for a 4door lc-lj they just dont quite have it compared to the 2door when it comes to looks, just my opinion but i know most people think the same way also or there would be alot more 4doors done up.

#30 _Aidan_

_Aidan_
  • Guests

Posted 01 January 2006 - 07:03 AM

i'd keep the gear in the commie its a sweet looking car.

#31 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 01:57 AM

Here are a couple more videos for ya's to have a look at:

The first one is of the first Dyno run prior to any mods, just after the first tune, it gives you a good idea of how quickly it jumps into the high revs.

First Tune Dyno Run

The second is of the latest run at the Motorplex, i was against a HZ 454 Ute that was running consistant low 11's all night, The ute got me at the top end and won (Unfortunatly in this video the timeboard wasnt working) final times were 11:62 for the ute and i ran 11:70, which isnt to bad considering she had almost 150 cubes over me :rolleyes:

TREMOR Vs Big Block HZ Ute

#32 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:05 AM

Awesome Videos mate... Sweet sound ya got there man ;)

You absolutely blew him away off the line!

I think youve convinced me to go racing tomorrow night!( as long as its not bloody 40 degrees!)

Cheers :)

#33 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:40 PM

I have run through the options of a total sleeper (Keeping the hubcaps and all on) but i also love the pro street look

I don't want to step on too many peoples toes here when i say this...

But -i- don't think there is such thing as a v8 'sleeper'.

Only reason I say this is because everybody expects something out of a v8, if you're anticipating a fast car next to you, no surprises when it blows you away.

Therefore I'd go with the 'pro street' look.

#34 _Broads_

_Broads_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 08:48 PM

Zap,

Sounds and looks nuts mate! good stuff!

Andrew

#35 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,314 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:01 PM

What do you mean there's no such thing as a V8 Sleeper? What's the difference between having a VH like that with hubcaps with a worked turbo RB30, a Viper V10 or an absolutely off-its-head Holden V8 under the bonnet?

If they all look stock then they're a sleeper. I know they sound different but even a worked SR20 has its own hot note, it's still a sleeper if it looks stock.

I didn't mean to be rude or anything, but I don't see where you're coming from.

EDIT: And I also meant to say, that video is awesome and your reaction time was unbelievable, good work man, keep em comin coz that was sweet.

Edited by Heath, 03 January 2006 - 09:02 PM.

#36 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 09:42 PM

Heath, generally people don't look at a v8 and think it's slow by default.
(even though yes, by today's standards a stock 308 is slow).

As I said, everybody expects something out of a v8 (Whether it delivers or not is the question).

#37 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:11 PM

Congrats DeNMaSteR, looks and sounds awesome, the thing just jumped off the line!

:spoton:

#38 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 10:27 PM

Cheers guys, the sleeper topic is an interesting one, allot of people will see a stock looking car with a V8 note and expect it to go alright but they wont expect it to haul ass especially if they are in say a new 300kw GTS or sumthing to that description.

At the same time i have to admit that any car this motor is in will only be a sleeper until the key is turned as it is loud as hell and it is the motor that makes most of the noise not the exhaust note, sooo yeh the sleeper thing wouldnt really work.. :rolleyes: and i love the pro street look to top it all off too :spoton:

Heath: my reaction time on that run was .051 which is one of my best reaction times to date! :D wish i could do it every run!

#39 _jabba_

_jabba_
  • Guests

Posted 03 January 2006 - 11:02 PM

if you couldnt hear the exhaust note from idle and the car looked completely stock then people may not even know its a v8 to start with, id consider that a sleeper.

#40 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 January 2006 - 12:23 PM

hehehe yeh thats also true, i currently have 2 mufflers and a resinator on the VH and its still pretty loud! :huh:

Well i have had a bit of a look around at some cars and i think if i go to a torrie it is going to be Racing only as the ANDRA requirements are going to make it to hard to put on the street.

On that note i have 2 cars that im looking at the first is an LJ GTR spec'd up for Super Street that is already ANDRA tech inspected and ready to race and the second is an LC 4-door that is basically pure drag, i dont have allot of details on it yet but am supposed to be looking at it this week....i am going to look at both options and also the option of keeping the VH and see what works out best :rockon:

Cheers

#41 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:03 PM

Well guys the heads are are off so we can change the head gaskets out! i am unsure if im going to do any more mods while we have it appart will keep you posted

The dyno video above is the first one ever taken so there will be another one up soon once the heads are back on and the car has been tuned :spoton:

Still looking for a roller, there aint much around thats for sure! More to come soon! :rockon:

#42 GML-31

GML-31

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,239 posts
  • Name:Kev
  • Car:too many

Posted 24 January 2006 - 09:21 PM

just keeps getting better....well done

#43 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 02:12 AM

Well further to the post above the heads acctually came off today (there was a bit of a delay), to our surprise they look like they are pretty much stock, they havent had any major port work or anything.. :tease: ...the motor has a full ARP stud kit and all top yella terra rocker gear though, we are checking the valves tomorrow and then stripping the heads right down :rolleyes: I figure while the heads are off we might as well give them a bit of a mild port job and match port the manifold as well.

I am heading down the workshop tomorrow to see how it all measures up! so i will keep you all up to date on this one and will take a few pics as well!! The good thing to come out of this is that the car is running 11:70's with stock VN heads and in full street trim so hopefully that means there is plenty of room for improvement in the future, this might have just secured the future of the VH in my garage :spoton:

#44 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 31 January 2006 - 01:52 PM

Speak to Brett about getting the heads sorted, he usually uses Pro Head Shop (Robbie Gaikhorst) but we also do cylinder heads. :)

Without gutting the car there's no reason you couldn't get down to 11.30s or 11.40s. It all depends how brave you are with how hard you want to rev it. :)

#45 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 February 2006 - 02:12 AM

Here is a shot of the engine bay with the heads off: :spoton:

Posted Image

#46 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 07 February 2006 - 10:02 AM

No drama removing heads off the studs IN the bay mate?

Top stuff.. Cant wait to see how good it is after this extra work!

Cheers!

#47 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 09 February 2006 - 12:30 AM

Nah man i believe that they came off alright, just had to make sure there were 2 guys to keep them off the gaurds :D

I dont have the cash for the full port job but have given them a polish/service, o-ring and also fitted a full set of nice big stainless valves and strong double springs, retainers etc etc..... will also be using some new copper gaskets when it all goes back together!!! So should give the car a bit more of an edge but wont be knocking major amounts off the timeslip :tease:

Fingers crossed that i will get the heads back on Fri and hopefully get the car all back together and tuned and ready for another hit at the track! :rockon:

#48 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 09 February 2006 - 01:41 PM

Keep us updated mate! Its a great feeling to get out there and have some fun in them isnt it!

Hope youve had time to have a look at my video from teh sydney car festival in the off topic area mate.. you did mention you wanted to see my car in action! Here's the proof :)

Cheers mate!

#49 _DeNMaSteR_

_DeNMaSteR_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 01:04 AM

Mate the car looks and sounds awsome!!!!!! you definitly like throwin it round that track :) u make it look like a lil torrie hehehehe :spoton:

Just a quick update on mine, we got the heads back last week and they look the goods, massive valves etc.....but i put my car at the back of the queue at the workshop cause they are really busy and i was in no super rush so i have told them that i would like it by the end of this week if possible but not to stress.

Cause i have had a bit of time to save some cash since the car went in i have also decided to change the headers and exhaust cause its the main point restricting the flow at the moment

The car currently has off the shelf 1' 3/8 Tri-Y Pacemakers on it and a 3' mandrel exhaust. i am going to sell the pipes and the exhaust as it has been replaced with a custom set of DiFillippo 4 into 1's with large pipes (and 3' Collectors) and a twin 3-inch mandral exhaust, 2 mufflers and its dumped before the diff. :spoton:

So will be interesting to see what sort of improvment we get out of it (if any :cry:) i will post the photos for you once its done and let you know the results as well :rockon:

Cheers

Edited by DeNMaSteR, 01 March 2006 - 01:05 AM.

#50 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 01 March 2006 - 08:27 AM

I can tell you what sort of improvement you will get out of it - the noise will be deafening!! With a 3" and dumped before the diff it is going to sound totally mad :spoton: While performance on the street may be down a little bit I think you will physically be able to notice a difference at the track. Its a pity you won't be able to tell how much difference the exhaust on its own will make because of the head work etc. that is all getting done at the same time.

Before you know it you'll be needing a cage and harness I think!! :D

Peace,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users