anti hoon laws

• Please log in to reply
70 replies to this topic

#26 _user asked to be removed_

_user asked to be removed_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:10 PM

Yes, even if we are not hoons we ared still not aloud to BUY cars with v8's turbos bla bla bla, we went to go look at a tonner the other day, it had a 253, we would have bought it, but it would have only been worth the buy with the current 253 with it, so that idea went out the window...

#27 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:15 PM

Most HOON question are answered here:

http://www.justice.v...iving FAQs~&3=~

#28 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 06 July 2006 - 04:44 PM

Fair bit of discussion on this topic which is good to see. I will give you my opinion as a fellow torana owner/driver and as a NSW policeman who manages the car confiscation system at my station in Sydney.

Firstly good to see dannylxss raise the subject. NSW followed the Victorian Government stance of confiscation a few years ago. It was brought in to confiscate cars from drivers who conducted exaggerated burnouts in a built up area (your local suburbs with mum, dad & kids). The government responded to complaints by local citizens and as usual gave it a quick band aid treatment (brought in a new law) and flick passed it to the cops. Victoria were the first to do this and NSW followed a year later. In the first year in Victoria they confiscated 3 cars. In the first year in NSW we confiscated over 300 cars. The NSW Government didn't see that one coming and we have to find a place to house all these cars and get someone to look after then. When a car is confiscated in Sydney, it is bought to our station by tow truck, photographed and them taken to a secret location.

That's enought of the political stuff. Personally I don't agree with confiscating a persons car unless they are a lunatic. Burnouts are usually just for a bit of fun and showing off and I realise they can get out of control. I have never seen a person have their car confiscated for braking in NSW and hopefully this won't occur in other states.

In the Sydney Torana club we have a saying which probably somes up this topic, "ban low performance drivers not cars"

P.S. All money raised goes to the Government in case you were wondering.

Edited by lxsstorana, 06 July 2006 - 04:46 PM.

#29 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:54 PM

i geuss its sort of a hard topic to discuss i mean the good side is that it will theoretically and hopefully just get the rice burners that go stupid in the main street of town and especailly the idiots in the wet

honestly in my opinion if you go hang spinners in the wet your a pussy because you havent got enough hp to do it in the dry and in the wet its alot easier to lose traction all round and end up in a pole or someone elses car

however a way we could eliminate all this ilegal street racing is have a drag track at every major city bendigo for example we have nothing the speedways closed down for years heathcoates a dirtbox and cars get dirty out there and its too far out of town and cheap entry fees as well

well i guess its just one little bears opinion

cheers chevy

#30 _user asked to be removed_

• Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 05:57 PM

They could do that, but then we'd get people bicthing about noise pollution and exausht pollution, so we have sooks everywhere! I know a couple of places around melbourne they can put drag strips where no houses are.

#31 _MAWLER_

_MAWLER_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:17 PM

The new laws make me nervous. I drive pretty sedately and have never drag raced or pulled a burnout or anything like and have never had any sort of infringement or ticket or anything. But when I drive around in my hot car I am always looking over my shoulder, always wary of every police car that drives past cos they have the ability to take my car if I do the wrong thing. I'm not doing the wrong thing, but because its a discretionary ability they have, I'm nervous.

Hopefully all those tools 'hooning' will have the same thoughts running through their mind and will hold off on a piece of stupid behaviour that may have cost someone their life.

That being said, its pretty low to take someones car off em, I would have preferred the government come up with a better way of tackling the problem.

Cheers,

#32 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:26 PM

Don't worry about any new traffic rules Liam, just enjoy your car and have fun. Like a few people have already said, it is aimed at car hoons that travel in numbers (like your WRX's, Lancers, rotarys etc etc) and drive like idiots. Nothing wrong with looking over your shoulder either, pays to be observant.

#33 _user asked to be removed_

• Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 07:31 PM

I think they should have ATLEAST, an endorsment so an Adult can teach you to tow a trailer, even on yours L's! And I also think they should have an 'Good behavior' rewards program, so the rules ease off as you get better, and have less fines or something

#34 _curlys torana_

_curlys torana_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 09:16 PM

i rekon most of the hoons are driving ricers and commodores you hardly see a decent v8 out doin burnouts or donuts because we respect our cars to much to hurt them thanks curly

#35 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2006 - 10:01 PM

The new laws make me nervous. I drive pretty sedately and have never drag raced or pulled a burnout or anything like and have never had any sort of infringement or ticket or anything. But when I drive around in my hot car I am always looking over my shoulder, always wary of every police car that drives past cos they have the ability to take my car if I do the wrong thing. I'm not doing the wrong thing, but because its a discretionary ability they have, I'm nervous.

i find myself doing the same thing.
i also find that i can't consentrate on the road as well because i'm on the lookout for cop cars.
i think what the government doesn't understand is by pushing for such hard punishments everyone gets nervous on the roads exept the hoons('cause they don't give a s#it) which means people are buisier looking ova there sholders instead of consentrating on the roads.
i belive more acedents are caused through lack of consentration rather than hooning.
i belive these laws are more detrimental than good for the community
they should've been restricted to overly exesive speeding and street racing

others thoughts
:spoton: tom

#36 _LX406_

_LX406_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 09:27 AM

A car when used inappropriately is a weapon. It can kill, and injure, detroy lives, just the same as a gun. The police would conficate a gun if some idiot was using it stupidly, why not a car??

Ricers who go out and organise crap street races are the one that need to worry here, not us old school street machiners that have a bit of respect for others and ourselves.

Edited by LX406, 07 July 2006 - 09:28 AM.

#37 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:32 AM

I don't think you can generalise and say its ricers only....its everyone...I get lapped by BMWs, Commodores, Falcon..whatever all the time on my daily tour of the F3 (North out of Sydney)...No doubt when I go past them they go "Damn Hoon"..if I get caught speeding I have to wear it...Can't blame ricers for that....They seem more prevailent because thats whats available now...10 years ago it was VB-VL Commodores were weapon of choice..now its Lancers and WRX's..Hoons haven't changed...it just the car they arm themselves with that has.

#38 _Loki_

_Loki_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 10:55 AM

I can hear the youngsters all saying "listen to these old farts" and they are right but let me point out a subtle difference. There are many more hoons on the road these days than say in the 60's, this is a general statement due to population growth.

What?
Too bad the average age of these supposed 'hoons' were probably driving in the late 60's early 70's.

I'm 21 and driving a v8 that's on par with an R33 GTS-T skyline, quicker than WRX (non sti :P ) or TT supra. I have not YET come across someone my age or younger who can possibly afford a car that 'quick', not in their wildest dreams. (Typically they're either students and thus poor, or apprentices and thus even poorer than the students)

And that's what makes me so popular with the lady's :tease:

To think that < 25 y.o's make up the majority of WRX/New Commodore/XR8's/Skyline etc. hoons is silly.

Edited by Loki, 07 July 2006 - 10:56 AM.

#39 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 07 July 2006 - 11:49 AM

but even yestedays hoon car (VL turbo maybe) are affordable..they are 150 Kw stock..god knows what modded..more than enough to get yourself in trouble..compare that what I had to drive when I was a p plater..94 kw XF ute...80 odd Kw telstar...go back to what some of the more "distinguished" members around here learnt on...Datto 1600 or 120Y, HQ.....steam powered carriage....they aren't even in the same league.

I honestly beleive there are more hoons around in much more powerful machines and there aren't any "safe" places to do it anymore.

You are right about the deadset weapons being a little bit unaffordable to the masses..but in not even 5 years it will be an XR6 turbo lighting up outside your house with a 20 year old flipping you the bird when you tell him to piss off.

You have to stomp on the ratbag element..and the sooner the better.

We have a guy here at work (owns an R1) that got done for 160 in a 60 km zone on double demerit weekend....He lost his licencse instantly....I busted him riding to work and told him not to ride anymore...then the other day he gets done 102 in a 60 and riding between the cars....He has told me in the past he has lost his licencse 7 times (he has told others 5 and 6 times..he couldn't lie straight in bed)

Nothing can stop this bloke short of jail and confesscation of his bike..it will be interesting to see what he gets.

#40 _Shayde_

_Shayde_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:32 PM

Interesting read.
Those of you who blame "ricers".. Stop being so daft. A hoon in a torana is no different from a hoon in any other car. But that's beside the point. I drive a high powered R33 and more often than that, I get commodores and falcons trying to egg me on. Hell, it was even the same when I was driving my toranas. Actually, come to think of it, every car under the sun wants to run against my car. Even those high performance Excels.

On topic, the laws are unfair, but you've been given a good warning now. You do the crime, be prepared to pay the time. That means if you drive like a lunatic/moron, be prepared to lose your car. The cars aren't the problem, it's the ego of the person behind the wheel.

Also, someone mentioned 25 y.o's make up majority.. I'd respectfully disagree. I find the mid-life crisis fathers in their XR8s, Monaro's, XR6Ts and HSVs bug me the most.
It must have something to do with my great big front mount that scares away the younger hoons or something. :P

Edited by Shayde, 07 July 2006 - 12:33 PM.

#41 _SLR_

_SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 12:48 PM

I think the new laws are great.

I live on a corner and I swear there would be at least half a dozen burnouts a night right outside my front door. This happens at all hours of the the night and day and not more than 200 metres down the road, there is a primary school.

I am just waiting for a car to come through my front fence.

I just hope these new laws dont cause more deaths by hoons decieding to run rather than hand their cars over.

#42 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 01:07 PM

Loki i dont know what its like were your from but down here we get young guys from the age of 18 driving high powerd Jap cars, HSV's, even Euro Cars like BMWs and Mercs.. Ask anyone from melbourne northen suburbs about Hume Hwy Macca's in Camblefeild, every friday and saterday night you get about 200 or so cars all meeting up to drag race and do burnouts etc and almost all of em are high powerd expencive cars.. Maybe the young guys have the oldys pay for them or its ll finance or even worse half of them are probly ID change overs..

Its a mess now and they keep killing themselfs, in my day we would all go to a dead end street in an undeveloped area and do burnouts and all the crazy things and i never recal anyone being hurt besides a few canarys on the cars when the cops busted us..

I dont like the new laws but somthing had to be done, times have changed and cars are much faster and more dangerouse even if they are more advanced and handle better it doesnt help.. I dont beleive its right to take someones car of them and sell it, maybe if the kept it to just impounding for a time then this law would be ok..Imagine some young kid gets in a $50000 debt to buy himself a nice new fast WRX and cos he makes a few wrong descisions its taken from him and his left with a $50000 bill and no car.. This can ruin a young person and isnt very helpfull to anyone.

John

#43 _SLR_

_SLR_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 02:55 PM

John I think the car gets held only for a day or two for the first offence longer for the second with a large fee to release the car each time.
Only on the third offence is the car kept.
I would imagine that in a case were the car was under finance, the finance company would have claim to the car ?
Anyway if they dont learn before there cars get kept then they aint gonna learn.

I'm sure the police would only inforce this law if the driver was being an outright @#$% head. It would only cause them major problems if they were to use this law to penalise every little incident.

#44 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:23 PM

The traffic coppers are the ones who will be targeting hoons. The govt is correct in allocating resources to this as the road toll is huge each year, far greater than deaths from crime (harsh but true).

Not having a go at you LX406 just wanted to borrow a quote from your post to prove a point.

Ok these stats were published in �The Advertiser� articles on page 9 on Tuesday 19th April 2005.

�Last year, 36% of those killed on our roads were driving with an illegal blood alcohol content�
..�22% of people killed on South Australian roads last year had not been wearing a seat belt. A further 26% were suspected of not having used seat belts..�
�..only 44% of those killed had definitely been wearing seatbelts.�
�Of the 48 people killed this year, 22 were drivers, 16 were passengers, 7 were motorcyclists and 3 were pedestrians. Three were P-platers, and the majority were aged under 40�

I don't see anything in there that says "Burnouts have killed thus many people" or "Hooning has killed thus many" anywhere in there? Yes I think hoons should be removed from the streets, but these laws at the moment are WAY to harsh amd need to be revised.

Surely they need to target drink drivers and people not wearing seatbelts, more than a person doing the odd burnout to make his mates happy. Smoking tyres have never killed anyone. Hell smoking ciggarettes kills thousands but thats still legal? :fool:

#45 _munro_

_munro_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 03:29 PM

I'm sure the police would only inforce this law if the driver was being an outright @#$% head. It would only cause them major problems if they were to use this law to penalise every little incident.

thats just the thing
ova here they are confiscating cars for the smallest things.
it seems that there moto is (you brake traction you lose your car)
and it doesn't have to be a burnout.
if you have a mini spool where the tyres scrub going around corners it's enough for them.
if you brake suddenly and one of the wheels lock thats enough.
they don't give a s#it if your avoiding a pedestrian thats ran out on the road.
and this i've seen first hand.
it's government ploy to raise revenue again :furious:

i don't know if it's the police being unflexable or if there having to answer to pricks who are being ainal wan#ers but if it continues we will find the youth revolting which will be worse then things already are.

as i've said before confiscate cars invorved in illegal racing or exessive speeding
and maybe make exclusion zones like near schools where offenders get the nailed hard by the law for there actions

#46 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:10 PM

Munro im not saying i dont beleive you but do you relize how extreme what you say sounds.. If the cops are acting like your saying im sure that somthing can be done.. From what you say the cops are abusing this law like the hoons abuse there drivers lisence privlige..

Azza its not the burnouts that kill mate, its the dikhead doing the burnout that thinks his invincable and loses controll smashing into a pole killing his mates and posible himself.. All to just show of infront of your mates..Have you ever had to say goodby to one of your mates cos another one of your mates was showing off..I have mate and it still shatters me 6 years later..

John

#47 _Azza_

_Azza_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 04:57 PM

No John I've never had to do anything like that, and I can't even think how hard it would be to go through something like that. But what I was trying to say is that the main cause of deaths on our roads is not from burnouts or hooning. It is mainly drink drivers and people not wearing seatbelts. So the cops should be making a push in that direction in targeting drink drivers and non seatbelt wearers to bring the road toll down. Yes there are hoons that kill themselves and mates and innocent by standers, but I still think the rules are fairly harsh and need to be revisited.

#48 _chevy_253_torana_

_chevy_253_torana_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 05:30 PM

but still everyone has to admit its not right the government being able to take your property away did anyone read that story in street machine???
hasnt the govenment done enough of taking money from the working class people such as the G.S.T??? but what shocked me was with the recent miners trapped incident the poor bloke who got killed down there had a tribute concert in his name and the public donated 400 000 to his wife and children...

however the govenment to over half of this in tax

sounds like a fair world doesnt it ?

#49 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:37 PM

Possibly, no one is going to get killed with the burnouts and powerslides on the corner outside my house, the possibility is there though, especially for a young cyclist or pedestrian who appears out of "nowhere". The "hoon" laws are also there to also stop them unduly affecting the quality of life of others too, ie full throttle burnouts through open exhausts resonating around my loungeroom!

#50 _TORANASS_

_TORANASS_
  • Guests

Posted 07 July 2006 - 06:59 PM

ie full throttle burnouts through open exhausts resonating around my loungeroom!

I dont see that being a problem mate, actualy i like the sound of that..

Ever had Runing on Empty playing on a 150" projector and the sound going thru a 6.1 Dolby DTS surround sound system with twin 15" subwoofers..

The sound of a V8 resonating thru my loung is a good thing!!!!

John

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users