lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:33 PM

You'd be surprised how many people are given a caution for traffic offences in NSW, particularly people with good driving records or people who have received their first ticket. I would suggest not criticising the police and admitting the offence (which is only a technicality). You were licensed to drive an automatic at that stage and not a manual. Had it happened three months later you would have been sweet. Many other people breach their licence conditions when they drive without their glasses when they are required to wear them (but they're abit harder to catch.)

Edited by lxsstorana, 08 July 2006 - 07:33 PM.

#27 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:36 PM

Many other people breach their licence conditions when they drive without their glasses when they are required to wear them (but they're abit harder to catch.)

That's only because they can't see the Police without their glasses?

#28 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:40 PM

[quote name='surfmaster' date='Jul 8 2006, 07:36 PM'] [/QUOTE]
That's only because they can't see the Police without their glasses? [/QUOTE]
Very true surfmaster and without trying to steal this thread, what about all the oldies who should have handed in their licences years ago. I don't know how many oldies have told me they have never had an accident but I reckon they have certainly caused a few.

Edited by lxsstorana, 08 July 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#29 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:47 PM

Thanks for clarifying jbird..........wasnt sure if the ticket was for spinning the wheels, rolling back whatever.
Yes, I suppose you were unlucky in getting pulled up so quickly, but you were driving a "look at me car". I know plenty of people having got their licenses in autos who now drive around in manuals, thought there was some rule that you could do it if you had already held your license for a certain period of time(vic), off Ps perhaps, but not sure about that at all.
Possibly he decided that your use of the manual controls was dodgy, based on the start line incident and that may have influenced his decision to fine you, not sure as to why he let you continue to drive it? be an interesting hypothetical if you did have an accident that could be attributed to the manual controls and killed someone and it came out the policeman had fined you but allowed you to keep driving.
Autos and manuals is an interesting problem for new drivers. Ive taught 8 people to drive(most of them family) to drive from scratch to license and have always felt better about them having an auto to drive in their first year or so of driving, even after getting them to pass in a manual. Initially I thought it best they just learn in the auto, get used to traffic and then when everything seems to be going okay, move across into the manual, starting away from traffic.
Driving in traffic is a complex task and its just that bit easier to make the right decisions if part of the brain isnt occupied with not stalling the car or rolling back when doing a right hand turn on a steep hill etc.
I know this approach would have all sorts of practical problems in those who only have a manual car available etc, but I wonder if there are any stats on the accident rates here. Im also guessing that perhaps nowadays only the most competent and savvy learners only go for their manual licenses(which would distort the stats) and that many auto drivers just scrape through the tests.

#30 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:54 PM

hehe you guys crack me up...

J-Bird: Tough break man.. Unfortuantely as the guys have said there's no "little bit" to breaking the law.. its a black and white thing... But what lxsstorana has suggested is a great idea. It cant hurt to ask, especially if you've got a good driving record!

Just remeber that police are doing their JOB... if it was an unlicenced driver that caused a fatal accident we'd be screaming about how the cops should pull more people up....

Unlucky is my vote!

#31 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:55 PM

[/QUOTE]
Very true surfmaster and without trying to steal this thread, what about all the oldies who should have handed in their licences years ago. I don't know how many oldies have told me they have never had an accident but I reckon they have certainly caused a few. [/QUOTE]

Thats why we have a "question of fitness" :D

Edited by surfmaster, 08 July 2006 - 07:56 PM.

#32 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 07:57 PM

Anytime DA, Nobody has taught me how to drive. I learnt by watching and reading. Thats not to say I'm a crap driver, but my parents are too busy to "teach" - they slept in the car when I was racking hours up in the early hours of the morning. I taught myself how to drive manual and I guess with experience there would've been different circumstances, that is no tyre chirp. But I know what you mean by after getting your Ps its better to continue 'learning' on an auto as you hit heavier and heavier traffic and odd conditions/learning roads. Via stats one of the biggest causal factors happens to be 'being unfamiliar with the area'. The rule is after holding your Red Ps for a year and getting your green P's you can drive manual and automatic without retesting. Oh well. The incident hasnt lost me any love for my machine and that dick of a cop was a one off I hope, I still like police and Ill continue obeying the road rules cause you never know when your gonna get hit.

#33 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 08 July 2006 - 08:05 PM

I think we all feel like we have been unjustly done by the Police at some stage, but I think the one post I saw about cops being Pigs is uncalled for. Think about this, how many dickheads do they have to deal with every day? I myself have been done for doing things I was not guilty of in the past and looking back, in some cases , I should have done something about it, but then again, we have all done something wrong and not got caught too. I will share a couple of experiences I have had over the years.
In about 1990 I was pulled up out in the open plains between West Wylong and Forbes. Back then it was 100km zone and just on dark. Out of the blue a car ovetakes me and speeds off into the distance. I keep driving, making the comment he was flying as I was sitting on about 115. Next thing I know, flash of blue lights coming the other way, I look down, still on 115, so I pull over. I was a young 19 or 20 yo at the time and when the cop comes over and tells me i was doing 133, naturally I argue. He gives me the, don't argue with me mate, give me your licence and sees I work at the RAAF base in Wagga. He starts to settle down and tells me he used to be in the RAAF too and that he normally lets RAAFies off. I think, you beauty, but then he hands me the ticket for 133. I still fume about that, but maybe if I had not been so defensive, he would have let me off, or at least got me for the speed I was doing.
Not long after that, a mate bought a nice XC Falcon. I was a thursday night, so we did the only thing to do in Wagga, cruise the main street. We did one lap, came up and went round the roundabout at the railway and headed back towards the main drag. We pull up at the lights and a bunch of flogs in a VH Dunnydore start egging us on for a drag. We declined and they took off, spinning the wheels. We pulled up at the next lights, again next to these guys callling us every name they could trying to get us to drag them. Again we idled off and they spin the wheels and take off. Next thing, blue lights behind us and we start laughing, only, it was us that got pulled up! The cop claims we spun the wheels while his mate starts shinning the maglite torch in my eyes which I calmly told him to stick somewhere else. My mate was very well spoken and calm and the cop starts going on about how if he sees the car again tonight, he will book us. My mate asks what for as the cop produces a business card holder and flops it out, saying, mate I will book you for anything on here I like. That was clearly harassment, only, those two young dumb cops didn't realise one thing, My uncle happened to be the SGT at the station at the time. Justice can be sweet hehehe.

#34 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 08 July 2006 - 10:13 PM

this was payment for all the times i went at 60 in suburban areas.

Bad ass

#35 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:59 AM

but my parents are too busy to "teach"

Geez that shits me...I have been on the receiving end of over 8 weeks of driver training for various vehicles since I have had my licence...that does not include the hours I racked up since the age of 6 being shown how to drive.

Now its my turn..Yesterday i got my qualification as an army driving instructor...and by god I'm not letting anyone pass until they are up to standard.

It shits me that your parents wont get off their arse to teach you how to drive....when you end up squished under a semi or wrapped around a tree they will wish they did. :furious:

NB...this post was not meant to put the mocka on you...if you crash or get squished its your fault..not mine. :huh:

#36 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 03:12 PM

I just found the thread and skipped a bit..especially REDs War and Peace version!
James, YOU GOT DONE! :tease: But I still beat you...took me 7 minutes to be busted in 1972 in my HT GTS 350 Monaro by a cop waiting for me to get my license. You took a chance with driving the car on an auto license...the temptation to take it for a run get the better of you. Pay the fine, take it on the chin and move on. Like someone said, you could have had to walk home. The car will ALWAYS attract attention of the wrong kind at your age so it needs to be PERFECT inregards to roadworthy and all your license requirements. Get used to it..also get used to old pricks like me driving past, tooting the horn and giving you the thumbs up! :clap: It is your first fine...wont be the last..trust me on this one! :blink: .. they get easier as it goes...
My famous cop statement.."I have never seen a radar gun go up to 267 KPH before! " (It was on a Honda Superbike at 2am on the Liverpool expressway I was running in for Oran Park the next day as we blow a motor,and yes I got off.!!) :spoton:
R

#37 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:20 PM

you got busted! just write the letter and cop it sweet.
I could only take off one way when I first got my licence in a gtr as well!
nothing has changed much.

So the first rule is stop as hard and as quick as you can. without causing an accident.
turn the car off, jump out, run back to the cop and tap on the window asking what was the problem. he is already off footed, and suprised. he may ask you to sit back in the car, but not always. get your licence out before he asks.

make sure you know why he pulled you over so you don't give an explanation for the wrong thing! not that I ever do the wrong thing.

thank him for letting you know that you were doing something wrong.
be sorry, suck suck. works better than 50%, no stress, no ticket.

but if they don't treat you right. take down their badge numbers and ring the officer in charge at their station, report the complaint staight away, demand a result. they take this seriously. usually get back within 24hrs.
something like 3 complaints a year and they are suspended.

they are only human, so make life easier for them, and they may make it easier for you!
these letters giving you options because you racked up more than 12 points in 12 months suck as well. you palm off all the camera fines to your freinds, get off with warnings more often than not, but still, they have to send letters.

driver tests are to easy in australia, dickheads that can't drive get given a licence to kill. speed is not the problem, people that can't drive is.
all that slowing down does is compact everyone together.
I figure the faster you go, the less time you are on the road, the less chance of having an accident, "officer"!
just my 2 cents worth
all you have to get is 70% for your licence. what a joke, should be 90%
at least the buses would be full.

#38 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,140 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:38 PM

Unlucky dude! He must have sensed you were nervous.
I think you should lend it to me until you get the manual licence or until I get mine back on the road.
I must be starting to look like an old fart as I dont seem to get in any trouble when I take my gtr out & that thing certainly stood out.Only times it gets pulled over is when they want to have a look & check it out.

Edited by gtrboyy, 09 July 2006 - 04:41 PM.

#39 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:41 PM

lmao Rory - 7 minutes! You beat me and then some! haha
Yeah I'm not driving it until Tuesday to the RTA and to sit the P's test again. Oh well, I was just pissed off because now I dont have a perfect driving record, which means my premiums for insurance will go up. I pay more for CTP than for full comprehensive insurance (go figure - Thanks GIO and the thread that started it all). Furthermore after I get off my green P's I can't move straight onto a gold license (I think thats the rule if you have perfect record).
In hindsight it was a dumb mistake and hopefully will never happen again, I dont mind getting pulled over for RBT's etc. because I know my car isn't defectable and I don't drink if I know im driving, I almost always stick to the speed limit couple of Km's over here and there.

Bryan, I don't think getting out of your vehicle is such a good idea, they might get spooked and bash me lol

FastEHHolden - no offence taken. To be honest I wouldn't take lessons from my parents, let's just say they're not the worlds best drivers. I don't push the camry hard cause it handles bad, its fwd so if i'm ever wrapped around a pole etc. (knocks on wood) its because someone else has hit me. Just for the record I passed my first P's test 100%.

Peace

#40 _JBird_

_JBird_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 04:42 PM

HAHA Shane, I'd let you drive it no worries. I was planning on coming over today and give you the hair dryer back but yeah, I dont think 1 day of driving is worth 6months license suspension if i get booked again!

#41 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:43 PM

Perfect driving record????...Try 265 points so far!...Life is a bitch...just smile and say...I am here for a good time...not a long time...the rest will take care of itself! :rockon:
R

#42 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 05:45 PM

Werd

#43 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:06 PM

Weird...thats over 34 years of licensed driving..ring me in 30 years and tell me yours is better...it probably will be..we lived in a different time unfortunately..you guys will look back at this time in 30 years and say.... didnt we have it easy back then...thats life.
R
P.S. I did it on bikes at 17...trust me on this one..get on a track and do your best..Ask A1..most fun you can have with not taking your pants off..best thing is..when you do it...you actually slow down on the road and let the dickheads go..and just smile a lot... :finger:

Edited by rorym, 09 July 2006 - 06:08 PM.

#44 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:26 PM

drive get given a licence to kill. speed is not the problem, people that can't drive is.
all that slowing down does is compact everyone together.

Hmm........., everyone speeds up by 10kmh and the distance between cars increases? having trouble with that one.

#45 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:50 PM

For MOST people as spped increases so do their gap distances.. anbd those who dont ( tailgating on freeways is a pet peve of mine) need to be shunted off into the bushes!

Anyway.. Just to clarify something ; Rory, I'm 99% certain that FastEH said and meant "WERD" as in the gangsta slang "WORD" as in i hear ya mate..... Not WEIRD... I'm pretty sure he knows where your coming from with loosing the demerit points ;) hehehe

Speaking for myself... I've done alot of silly shit on the roads.. and even more OFF the roads, and ive been caught for probably less than my fair share... But somehow i reckon ive mellowed with age and I've never had as much fun as i did on the skid pan in the HQ cutting loose with no worries!

Anyway, as most have said, and i seems J-bird agrees, You took a risk and got busted.. It kinda sux but Cest la vie... Such is life! - I wouldnt worry too much about a perfect driving record mate.. the insurance companies will skin you alive regardless!

Cheers!

#46 FastEHHolden

FastEHHolden

Steptoe

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,114 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 06:55 PM

Tru Dat....I was responding to

Peace

Umm I feel inadequate...I've done 3 points in 12 yrs..I'm back on 12 and staying there.

Edited by FastEHHolden, 09 July 2006 - 07:00 PM.

#47 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:04 PM

LOL fast EH... I've done a few more.. but not a shipload! I'm one of the few people i know that HAVENT lost their licence at one time or another!!

#48 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:09 PM

For MOST people as spped increases so do their gap distances.. anbd those who dont ( tailgating on freeways is a pet peve of mine) need to be shunted off into the bushes!

Tiny, I think you missed the point of my post, what Bryanw has written implies that if a line of cars all increase the speed that they are travelling at, then the distance between them will magically increase ......nothing to do with a driver consciously allowing a larger gap when travelling at a higher speed.

Edited by devilsadvocate, 09 July 2006 - 07:10 PM.

#49 Tiny

Tiny

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:11 PM

I hear ya devils... I understood what you meant no worries there!

#50 _devilsadvocate_

_devilsadvocate_
  • Guests

Posted 09 July 2006 - 07:35 PM

:D tis cool Tiny

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users