Redslur

Has been Torana owner

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,535 posts
  • Name:Gerry
  • Car:HQ GTS Replica 350.

Posted 19 May 2014 - 06:02 PM

Mid 12's is a great start.  Nothing to sneeze at.  It is a lot harder out there than most peopel think. I am hoping to run my new set up in August and would be very happy with mid to low 12's.  I will be buying some MT street radials too. Well done...

#52 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:04 PM

Well done on the 12.5 mate... first time out too - that's an excellent result. If you're having traction trouble - I too think the M/T E/T Street Radials would be the next logical step should you keep itching that drag racing bug. Cheap bang for buck and still a good street tyre.

PS. Top stuff with the young tacker too, those photos are gold :)

#53 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:38 PM

Cheers guys.
To be honest I would like to put it rest and say that is that. Only the thought of laying down an 11 second pass has me qurious.
As much as I don't want to spend the money on the street radials, I can see it happening at some stage

#54 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:43 PM

Yeah well compared to a stock 173 i suppose you have a slight bit more. 

coolskid1.jpg

:tease:

troll.png

Cheers. 

Just a thought Bomber, at 16, that wasn't clutch smoke was it? Seems to be coming from around the centre of the car

(insert cheeky grin and stirrer here)

#55 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2014 - 09:45 PM

Hahahaha. 

Did do a couple of them in later years. 

Note she's only just out of the water, thats tyres :P

Cheers. 

#56 _ljxu1torana_

_ljxu1torana_
  • Guests

Posted 19 May 2014 - 10:43 PM

it looks like that the skid was done in reverse.

#57 _SLR Goat_

_SLR Goat_
  • Guests

Posted 22 May 2014 - 04:59 PM

good work mate throw a set of et radials on it they should hook up fine should improve the 60 foot times alot

#58 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 02:12 AM

Good going Grant that's an excellent time for a manual. Am guessing you only got into 5th gear over the line?

#59 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 May 2014 - 09:55 PM

No, still in 4th. High end of the rev range, but still in 4th

#60 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts
  • Name:Nig
  • Car:HX ute(daily) LH Torana(Harrop Blown LS1) in the build

Posted 04 June 2014 - 07:35 AM

Good job dude, you should be happy with that. What ratio are your diff gears mate? I'm going up to heathcote in the next few wks(when Iv got an RDO on Monday) & run my ute before I pull it apart again & fix all the little things that I should of done the first time around.

Cheers, Nig.

#61 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 07:59 PM

Sorry Nig only just saw your question. Mine has 4.11 in the diff.
When are you heading up. If I'm free I may come for a look see, and maybe burn a set of tyres :)

#62 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:03 PM

Yep, I may roll along too if the date works :)

#63 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:09 PM

Pissa!! Didn't recognise who it was by the name "LS1 Taxi"
Should be good to catch up.
Have you had a chance to fondle with anything yet Daz?

#64 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:19 PM

haha, lol.

Yeah in another thread we were getting all emo about taxis and such so thought a name and piccie change would show my support :lol:

Nah I haven't done anything except put heaps of driving into it.  Banged about 900km on it over the last few days.  Drove it into the country for the long weekend and chauffeured the wife around the yarra valley wineries...good times.  Went to the Alexandra speedway sunday (took the ute there, left the taxi in the shed) and just arrived home in the torana about 1/2 hour ago.

So....back to the taxi.  First job will be to order some tyres...then rims to suit.  I need to get her up in the air and pull the rear wheels off to measure up.  I think 26" 235's might be my limit but I'll measure up to be sure - then get some rims to suit the offset I need.  I plan to run it with just the tyres and no other mods to see what difference it makes and then I'll pull the motor and box for cam/springs/stallie and tune.

#65 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:42 PM

I picked up a set of 245x55 x15 street slicks to put under mine.going to take my 6" interceptors in to get widened to 8" to keep a nice big foot print on the track. Hoping this will sort out my traction issues and put me into the 11's. Time will tell.
I think the next Heathcote meet is this coming Sunday, then two weeks after.

If not going to Heathcoe I have my son for the day as my wife is heading out for the day. Weather permitting the young bloke and I are going to cruise in the hatch for the day

When are you heading out Nig?

By the way, the tyres are not on rims yet if you want to use them to see if they fit. I can throw them in the car now for tomorrow if you want. I will be at the office mid morning if you want to pick them up

#66 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 08:46 PM

That would be ace dude.

I only need 1 though....and will probably only need it overnight or even just for a few hours if you're in the office for a while.

Send me a text or give me a ring when you know what time and I'll swing on down :D.

Oh, and where did you buy them from?

Edited by LS1 Taxi, 09 June 2014 - 08:47 PM.

#67 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:10 PM

Purchased them second hand from eBay. Will give me a good idea on what it can do with traction. Once I get the best out of it I can, that's me done chasing better times. From there on its cruising and having fun, not a money pit. Plus, 11's is plenty for me if I get there.

I have another project idea I want to start on, so keen to just finish the hatch and drive.

Anyway, will let you know once I get myself sorted in the morning.

#68 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 09 June 2014 - 09:27 PM

Cheers!
See you tomorrow

#69 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 10 June 2014 - 10:07 AM

Well I was going to go up in the next few wks but Iv taken my RDO today as Iv got a heap of stuff to do at home all non car related :(
I'm just not keen on driving all that way & for something to go bang as Iv got pretty bad luck so if I had a spare RDO I'd just take it on the Monday after I went up to ease my mind/temper if something did go bang.

Cheers, Nig.

#70 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2014 - 07:40 PM

So does that mean you are gong to wait for next month or just hope for the best?
I understand your thoughts, I usually feel the same.

#71 WA1TNC

WA1TNC

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 358 posts

Posted 12 June 2014 - 10:02 AM

Haha not sure when I go, I normally make my mind up on the spot. But if I do plan on going ill throw it up here. Can't go this wkend as I'm busy but maybe next wk or the wk after.

Cheers, Nig.

#72 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 09:40 PM

Well I was back out at the track again today. 12:40 @115mph. My next best 12:49@118mph
How do the guys driving stick get out of the hole?
I tried dumping the clutch,that gave me wheel spin
I tried driving off like I was at the lights, this gave no wheel spin but the same ET.
Seems no matter how I take off I make up Groung in 3rd and 4th. I crossed the line every time hitting the rev limiter in 4th, regardless on my take off. Even when I ran 13:10 (and was beaten by a certain Alto Grey sedan that shall remain nameless ;) ) I still crossed the line on the limiter. I don't get it!!!

Need help guys, what am I doing wrong? Or, Is this just as good as this will go?

#73 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:23 PM

I cant offer anything practical Grant but I do suggest upgrading to an auto :lol:

Your car looked fantastic today - for a hairdressers car!!

Was a top day...I dream of running 12.49 :)

Attached File  image.jpg   133.62K   1 downloads

#74 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 13 July 2014 - 10:37 PM

Hi Grant,

You could try a 3.89:1 diff ratio,

and if your motor holds up to the extra strain, you will go quicker, happened to me:-

2123.jpg

#75 madtoranajzedded

madtoranajzedded

Sir ask alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,891 posts
  • Name:Maz
  • Car:72 LJ SL SEDAN.

Posted 14 July 2014 - 01:17 AM

hi grant .great to see you having a little bit of fun on the black stuff.you could try softer springs on the front and a set of 3 way

adjustable shocks 90/10 80/20  60/40.these will help with weight transfer over the rear tires and stop the tires unloading as

your going down the strip,can also get the rears in 50/50 40/60 30/70  to suit your hatch,they will do wonders buddy to trim

that  60ft time down.can get the shocks at speedpro shop $170-180 for fronts.same for rear too

cheers Maz

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users