• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 30 September 2014 - 08:37 AM

wow....great stuff Grant.
Love the full on Nc look of your car.
Impressed with the times you are doing too.

#77 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 30 September 2014 - 07:13 PM

Great report Grant & great photos - thanks. Also impressed with the lap times - have you driven the track before?

Although a few little dramas it is all learning and it seems a lot of progress was made. Do you think you would ever make the move to Group Nc?

#78 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2014 - 06:27 AM

Steve,

I may develop the car to that level but the regularity class is just as fun for the time being and i can still run the celica box.

Yes have ridden wakefield many times on my bike so i understood the track pretty well which made it a bit easier to pick up the spots which were critical.

Id need to;

change the gear box to a aussie

get a cams steel roll cage 

there is probably about 20 other small things to do 

stepping up to that class may be in another year or so depending on things, but I'm in it for the fun at the moment.

I learnt so much over the weekend, I have to get a hard copy book and write it all down to keep with the car.

G

#79 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
  • Car:1972 LJ Torana
Garage View Garage

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:31 AM

Well done.

#80 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2014 - 07:01 PM

Warren it was an absolute blast.

here is a link to a photo of wayne doing what wayne loves - mucking around with torana's 

http://www.hsrca.com...seth-reinhardt#

you may have to go down on the page an enlarge the photo - it's pretty good quality.

third one down on the right.

Edited by Agent 34, 01 October 2014 - 07:03 PM.

#81 SA EH

SA EH

Another Holden 6 tragic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Name:Jonesy
  • Car:EH Holden, E30 BMW, LJ 4 Door

Posted 02 October 2014 - 07:39 PM

That's one pretty nice torrie Grant!
Looks like it's a street come sprint racer mate, that's right where it should be.
Impressive work & a good read, I'll keep following bud.

#82 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 06 October 2014 - 04:39 PM

Decided to pull off the rocket cover and have a look in side and make the breather changes and also change the hold down bolts ( t head) ones to studs and nuts.

went to rocket industries and F0ck they don't miss u.

Got two bungs and also 90 'o bends in aero flow - having said this the products are pretty nice.

so set about drilling and shaping the bung position - all went reasonably well and installed.

i noticed that the inside of the rocket cover had rub marks from the roller rockers. - you can see in the photo's the rocket cover and also the end of the roller rocker where it's rubbed.

I recon that it's because it's been loose during operation - the holes in the rocket cover are over larged and depending on where you tension it down depends on where it sit's 

so hopefully once i change the studs over I will pull to the drivers side and tighten.

I also wanted to know how much lift the CAM had and did some crude measurements Via open and closed off the retainer head - Looks like .531 OR 13.51 mm lift - now i know that this is not accurate - but it does measure lift at the valve.

Another thing I would like the brains trust to pipe in on is the heat marks on the top of the push rod - you can see in the photos - what's causing this ?

the last issue which became evident is the push rod is or is bloody close to the elongated hole in the head - and if it's not rubbing then it's a tally ho paper off.- no photo of the push rod issue.

Attached Files

#83 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2014 - 06:50 AM

It's normal to open the holes in the head, the more lift the larger the hole will need to be, especially if you are using 1.6 or 1.7 rockers.

#84 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 07 October 2014 - 09:51 AM

Warren,

It hasn't been done  this is the problem and the push rod is rubbing I believe 

I may need to take the head off - which i don't want to do or just programme it in when it needs to be done. 

#85 jd lj

jd lj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,102 posts
  • Name:James D
  • Car:LJ SVO

Posted 07 October 2014 - 05:21 PM

today went to the mechanic and discussed a few things today and am sourcing a set of volvo 4 spots calipers  for the front and I will post the fitting details once I start the process.

G

If you end up with the Volvo calipers I found out today that they have 3 bleeding valves on each caliper.
I put the big nut master cylinder back on my car today and we only worked this out through trial and error.

JD

#86 warrenm

warrenm

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,107 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 07 October 2014 - 10:51 PM

Are they std pushrods or after market? If the pushrods are touching it will leave a mark around it.

#87 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 08 October 2014 - 05:07 AM

Warren,

I have decided to crack  the rockers and remove the push rod for a look to see if it's rubbing on all of them

the issue is that i think that they are hydraulic lifters and not solids as they sound too quite to be solids. I'll ring the previous owner on this  today.

I have tried to get the cams specs off him to check the valve clearance but I don't think he has them as he bought the motor ( ex speedway ) assembled, but has freshened up the bottom end and the cam was out.. 

failing not getting the cams specs for setting the lash I will have to go to yourself for advice on the settings. This is one of the reasons that i checked the lift so I had some idea what the cam spec could be.

also it dosen't have push rod guides and i thought that these were a must for a solid cam engine - you may be able to clarify this - failing this I will have to pull the side plate off and remove the lifter ( have not done this before ) 

the push rods look aftermarket ones and thicker than normal - I'll measure tonight for width and length.

If you end up with the Volvo calipers I found out today that they have 3 bleeding valves on each caliper.
I put the big nut master cylinder back on my car today and we only worked this out through trial and error.

JD

the pictures of your engine bay look really good you should post up in your members project - it's like new james.

I have head at the track last time that rodeo from calipers were the go now but you needed to put in 10mm spacers  - still tracking this one down.

#88 Dave6179

Dave6179

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 577 posts
  • Name:David
  • Car:HJ, VN, VX SS

Posted 09 October 2014 - 07:55 AM

G'day, been reading this with interest. Your loose sump bolts and rocker cover studs, do you have a part number? I bought some threaded rod and nylock nuts to stop my leaks too, but the rocker cover won't accept the bigger diameter nuts... the sump will. I've tried searching for the reduced rc studs with no luck.

Any ideas?

#89 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:18 AM

G'day, been reading this with interest. Your loose sump bolts and rocker cover studs, do you have a part number? I bought some threaded rod and nylock nuts to stop my leaks too, but the rocker cover won't accept the bigger diameter nuts... the sump will. I've tried searching for the reduced rc studs with no luck.

Any ideas?

dave,

got some screw in studs for the rocker cover from a local nut and bolts company. Was told to - brake clean hole - air dry - screw in - then put nut on and tighten. Will be doing this next week.

Ok so there's been some preparation works over the last few weeks.

We have been piecing together the Harrop Tru trac center 29 spline and also custom axles. I put a post on GMH torana and got 10 guys. So we are at the pointy end of the whole deal and it's coming together.

So have been sourcing and new housing and brake parts to build another diff set up ready to dump in - first had to make the baffles again and weld in, make some ventilated rear drum backing plates for extra breathing.

Needed to sort out a catch tank for the oil breather / rocket cover and also wanted to try and retain the washer bottle, which i was able to do.

Attached Files

#90 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 06:40 AM

wow...you have been busy.....

#91 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:18 PM

wow...you have been busy.....

col - had a test pilot error today , the bonnet hinge was hitting the oil can. I NEVER CLOSED THE LID WHEN I MEASURED UP THE OIL CAN DOOOOH !

had to sort today with some bracket extensions - but it's done and still fits fine..

I have been busy amd the diff is ready for paint next weekend.

bit's off to the zinker this week for the drum brakes internals.

Ordered a Sonic theromstat housing extension plate as well - will fit this prior to putting the rocker cover back on, just makes it easier to fit it all up.

Edited by Agent 34, 26 October 2014 - 07:20 PM.

#92 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,846 posts

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:35 PM

good work mate....those Tru Tracs and axles are that close I can almost smell them......thanks again for setting it up

#93 lxsstorana

lxsstorana

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,499 posts
  • Name:Mick
  • Car:SS Hatchback

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:45 PM

Great work Grant, the cars getting better and better.

Hopefully will go faster to.   :spoton:

#94 _2ELCS_

_2ELCS_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2014 - 07:54 PM

No wonder you have been quiet...busy busy busy....

#95 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:44 AM

Update.

Cleaned and set all the carbies up the same off the verniers.- so now have a base setting.

Did a bit of leading edge shaping of the slide in the carby for better turn of the air across the opening throat 

No1 carby was hitting the battery tray and has nearly worn a hole through the fuel bowl - so had to grind a bit more off the tray 

The extractors were hitting the upper control arm - so had to cut a bit off the arm and give it a bit more room so under torque it's not hitting

Put a spacer plate off SONIC for the upper housing thermostat housing so the rocker cover can come off a bit easier - you need to elongate the holes and trim a few bits off to get in the right position 

Got a fuel pressure gauge and installed off the fuel block 

The new Harrop tru trac center landed last week.- diff build still moving forward 

Things to do before the next race meeting;

• new tyre's 
  • get another breather out let and filter put into the oil catch can 
  • fit up breather hoses 
  • put new rocker cover bolts in and nuts

• tune on dyno when getting new tyre's at shop 

Attached Files

#96 Dodgey

Dodgey

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:Steve

Posted 04 November 2014 - 08:53 AM

I'm enjoying the updates Grant.

Is the tasman event with the HSRCA your next outing for the car?

Steve

#97 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 04 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

Love that diff centre, if I had the coin at the time I would of jumped onto the wagon.

#98 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:27 PM

Rocket is getting some new shoes tomorrow ready for SMP next weekend.

1) oil catch tank done and fitted 

2) new stud's for the rocket cover - done

3) thermostat housing extension in an done 

4) SU's cleaned all set up identical and running 

5) washed and touched up the paint with some spare paint looks a billion bucks 

the battery is F3ed and whilst it will crank over it's not holding a long charge. Whilst at the mechanics will be getting a system check as well.

#99 SA EH

SA EH

Another Holden 6 tragic

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,050 posts
  • Name:Jonesy
  • Car:EH Holden, E30 BMW, LJ 4 Door

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:36 PM

Good luck for next weekend then Grant. Every little bit helps mate & gets you that much closer to what you want.

Looks good bud, hope the su"s are good to you :D

#100 _Agent 34_

_Agent 34_
  • Guests

Posted 24 November 2014 - 06:17 PM

Jonesy,

Was talking to the SU guru today who has a dyno  where the car will be going and there is a few funny things going on.

1) the fuel pressure drops to zero on the gauge when at idol - i have a new fuel pump 

2) it's making pressure out of the tank/ fuel pump when the engines off -  which seems weird as it will spurt out the hose with back pressure when turned off and the No1 fuel pipe taken off 

3) the AO6 needles have been filed on the back edge up the top of the needle or low in the rev range  - so up for a new set of needles - it's really fuely at idol and this would explain why the main jet was nearly level with the throat bridge when i pulled them apart, i set if at 35 thou down and it's still got heaps 

4) it really needs a fuel regulator in the line 

5) there is shit is the tank and the fuel filter has crap in it - i have a fuel tank sealer left over from the GTR so will do this over Christmas - just going to throw a new fuel filter over the weekend

I'll know a bit more tomorrow night - it's all a bit rushed at the moment 

AHHH - ironing out bugs don't ya love it. NOT 

Edited by Agent 34, 24 November 2014 - 06:20 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users