Photo

Ring busted over Fake Musclecars in Melbourne

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#401 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 01:37 PM

been away for a while..... looks like ive missed a big thread. is there any links to the news clip. whos the dodgy buggers that have been busted? 16 pages ladies have been busy with tea, scones

#402 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:40 PM

Let me clarify this as simply as I can. Everyone was told no naming names, simple as that. I don't care if the guy said it was ok, and it's bigger than the forum. If you want to have a go at me fine, but he was warned more than once, and for good reason. It's bigger than just the forum and I have good reasons for it.

With all due respect no names were named, by anyone.

The user in questions forum handle and their chosen name that they've chosen to provide has been mentioned BY THE USER THEMSELF in one of the threads with the engine number in question also posted by the same user in question.  I read what Skap posted and couldn't find anything wrong with it.  If anything, what Skap posted explained the other side of the story and IMO would have quashed a lot of the "lock up the bastard" type talk as once the full story is known it becomes more obvious how what has happened could happen without ill intent from the person in question.

IMO, Skap protected the innocent until proven guilty moreso than the moderation of this and other threads.

Anyway, like I said, with all due respect, I'm not trying to fan the flames and I apologise if this post is unwelecomed but I don't believe in this instance Skap did anything wrong.

#403 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:43 PM

The user in questions forum handle and their chosen name that they've chosen to provide has been mentioned BY THE USER THEMSELF in one of the threads with the engine number in question also posted by the same user in question.  I read what Skap posted and couldn't find anything wrong with it.  If anything, what Skap posted explained the other side of the story and IMO would have quashed a lot of the "lock up the bastard" type talk as once the full story is known it becomes more obvious how what has happened could happen without ill intent from the person in question.

IMO, Skap protected the innocent until proven guilty moreso than the moderation of this and other threads.

Anyway, like I said, with all due respect, I'm not trying to fan the flames and I apologise if this post is unwelecomed but I don't believe in this instance Skap did anything wrong.

You must of not seen the thread before it got deleted a name was mentioned

#404 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:47 PM

Nah mate.  I saw it.

An internet handle and a publicly available alias/name in a separate thread linking the engine number in question to the forum member was mentioned.

Can hardly hang a person based on publicly available information.

The only new info posted by Skap was protecting the innocent until proven guilty, IMO.

#405 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

Ok i agree with you Daz but its a touchy subject im not getting involved

#406 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 02:49 PM

Fair play mate & I agree.

#407 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:10 PM

As far as I'm aware that is the first time a name has been mentioned.

I agree that Skap's comment did clear the air a bit.

However, Red did warn all of us that any mention of names would result in a ban.

Skap knew this, and chose to push his luck, again, leaving Red with no option.

#408 Davis

Davis

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Name:Drew
  • Car:LC 2 door

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:23 PM

I also have read the 3 year old thread you are referring too... In which this certain member is very upfront (honest) about having the same engine number as another member and contacting the appropriate authorities to resolve the matter and trying to establish which engine is genuine. If there was a time for a thread revival this might be it....not sure I'm that game given the current climate

#409 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:25 PM

whats the problem with name and shame? is it breaking any laws???? news papers and news etc drop names all the time. ive been MIA from this forum for a long time for this very reason. im a free living man. good on ya skap!!!!!!!!!!!

#410 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,548 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:43 PM

What is the ban period Red, 7 days, 14 days, 1 month, 3 months, permanent???

#411 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2015 - 03:46 PM

I missed it. Can someone post it again minus the name?

#412 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2015 - 04:11 PM

I missed it. Can someone post it again minus the name?

I will summarise without any names... Please delete is considered unacceptable...

Someones forum handle was identified as being implicated. This forum member was contacted and explained his story, which turns out to be quite innocent (by the sounds of it). Investigations are continuing, however...

Long story short, a forum member identified a few years ago that his engine number was appearing on another car. The forum member believed his engine to be the original and genuine, hence he contacted the authorities to see if they could work it out.

The said forum member indicated that he would scrap the engine permanently if it was found to be a fake.

By all accounts, it appears as though the said forum member may have been the one who 'broke the news' to the authorities, so to speak. It sounds like he is tangled up in the investigations, as basically he has an engine that has duplicated engine numbers (albeit he bought this engine as is, and was attempting to determine authenticity).

Basically the fuzz are trying to work out the mess and determine who are innocent victims and who are the crims (think about it, anyone with a fake xu1 for example, could have dodgied it up themselves, or could have bought it in good faith...)

Again, please delete if considered innapropriate- i figure this may settle some speculations which is the only reason I have repeated some of the story...

#413 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:08 PM

Skap post with the name blanked out

Skapinad has just posted a reply to a topic that you have subscribed to titled "Ring busted over Fake Musclecars in Melbourne".

----------------------------------------------------------------------
Gidday all.

I have had numerous PM's when this started, and heard a fair few rumours from different members... I am also guilty for spreading some of those rumours a little further :)

That being said and given the other thread by the Vic police, I ended up coming by a members phone number, that a lot of people have suggested is the ring leader in the whole affair.

User, $&@

I gave him a call, and while i didnt expect an answer as apparently he is behind bars, I was surprised when he answered from the comfort of his own home :)

so, as i understand it:

- $&@ is seen in the video getting in/out of a car.
- the workshop in the news report is not his.
- he has a couple of cars that have been confiscated by police. Mainly due to the numbers matching some other cars. One particular JP on the 150 list is the same as another forum members car, or friends car. tip, search x-ray.
- the matter is ongoing.
- there is another forum member implicated, possibly more.

Anyways, it was good to hear something from the horses mouth so to speak , as opposed to rumours.

$&@ said i could make a post if I wanted, but not to name the engine number or user that has the same block as him... he still visits the forum, would be great to hear from him, but I understand if he doesnt post given the continuing investigation.
----------------------------------------------------------------------

#414 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:24 PM

Here is exactly what I wrote

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:23 PM

"People, this is an ongoing police investigation, no one is to be named. A few of us know who is involved, a few have put two and two together i am sure. A warning to anyone who names someone, you will be banned from the site no questions asked, you have been warned."

I don't see any caveats to that statement mentioned. I didn't say, "it's ok to post the guys name if he says it's ok".

Whether you agree or not is irrelvant. You don't get pulled over for speeding and then expect to get off because you don't agree with the posted speed.

As moderator and admin we don't sit behind computer screens thinking who can we ban or warn today. The fact is, I didn't want to ban anyone, but you're damned if you do and damned if you don't. If the threat was not followed up I would have been told how unfair it was someone broke the rules and got away with it.

I have nothing against Adam at all, and I think he knows that.

Fact, the rule was broken and a penalty applied. I didn't make the rule up after the fact, the rule was made in advance. Anything beyond that quite frankly is opinion, and we all know what they say about those.

#415 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:26 PM

*all the above said whilst crossing adams name off the "ban list" with pink lipstick*

#416 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:28 PM

What is the ban period Red, 7 days, 14 days, 1 month, 3 months, permanent???

Bumped.

#417 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:29 PM

That will be advised later

Bumped.

#418 _macdou_

_macdou_
  • Guests

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:48 PM

That will be advised later

The Rules

Attached Files

#419 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 February 2015 - 05:52 PM

Thanks guys

No comment on the rest

Edited by IMORAL, 19 February 2015 - 05:54 PM.

#420 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 19 February 2015 - 08:25 PM

The Rules

If we went by those rules many would be permanently removed from here

Skap first

Lets call them guidelines

I've fought for him many times when others wanted him removed

He's made his bed this time though and I'll let Red handle it

Stick to the topic

#421 a9x868

a9x868

maurice mead of hatchbacks

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,417 posts
  • Name:facebook dave
  • Car:valencia holden torana a9x hatch ultimate improvement on the barbados L34

Posted 19 February 2015 - 11:44 PM

The Rules

now thems there guidelines

and many thanks to the moderating team for keeping this forum clean!

#422 _outer control_

_outer control_
  • Guests

Posted 20 February 2015 - 05:39 AM

Short answer no.

Just trying to warn people and don't like seeing people being taken advantage of.

P.S.  I think it's a great car and would like to have it in my garage, but not at the asking price.

A commodore engine to boot

#423 DanWA

DanWA

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,440 posts
  • Car:LS1 LX 4 Door

Posted 20 February 2015 - 08:21 AM

Dunno why everyone so upset about Skap, he is like teflon shit never sticks, he will be back... stop stressing!

Edited by DanWA, 20 February 2015 - 08:22 AM.

#424 Uncle Chop Chop

Uncle Chop Chop

Grumpy Old Man

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,409 posts
  • Name:John

Posted 22 February 2015 - 05:18 PM

he will be back... stop stressing!

I think that's what most people are stressing about.

#425 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 22 February 2015 - 06:54 PM

Philosophical question here: why ban folks for naming names in the muscle car re-birthing investigation but then allow posts pertaining to allegations against Carmichael Hunt - he is yet to appear in Court and so the basis of his charges are yet to be revealed in the public domain per the stated requirement for the re-birthing matter;

http://www.gmh-torana.com.au/forums/topic/70572-meme-page/page-17#entry887010

Posts 404 and 408 refer.

Make no mistake - I've no axe to grind regarding Hunt or anyone else, nor anyone to defend - but if this forum wishes to claim and require that members observe the principles pertaining to natural justice and procedural justice in order to protect the same and the liabilities of the forum, such an outlook should be consistent is all - IMO of course.  Yes, Hunt would be very unlikely to pursue anything said here - I get that.  I am speaking from a philosophical perspective here and again, yes, I accept it is permitted because it is something administrators have likely not turned their mind to as opposed to giving due consideration - heck, TBH I wouldn't have either.  Nevertheless it speaks to Skap's banning - yes, he and all of us were warned, but the reason for this direction and his subsequent ban is not reflected in the posts permitted for  Hunt is all.

Finally, and to be absolutely clear, I am NOT suggesting those making posts re: Hunt warrant banning nor any other sanction by any means, shape or form.

Cheers, TB

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users