Photo

Ring busted over Fake Musclecars in Melbourne

• Please log in to reply
493 replies to this topic

#451 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2015 - 05:32 PM

It's a need to know basis.................  

#452 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:26 PM

Its not a new thing to have police officers on the forum

Its just new for them to announce it

They've been watching and participating in the forum for years

I hope they get to the bottom of it and root out some of the scumbags

In all states

#453 _GMH-001_

_GMH-001_
  • Guests

Posted 24 February 2015 - 08:48 PM

^^ agreed... Sick of hearing about these pricks rorting the innocent enthusiasts

#454 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:24 PM

Its not a new thing to have police officers on the forum

Its just new for them to announce it

They've been watching and participating in the forum for years

I hope they get to the bottom of it and root out some of the scumbags

In all states

I find this very interesting...

In what capacity have they been lurking, and what would they be looking for? 

I would hope they would simply be looking for clues to major dodgy dealings, such as rebirthing etc and not trying to find out when and where the local muscle car meet is for example... (I would find something like the latter poor form).

It makes you wonder also as many of us have posted details of our cars which would show evidence that they may not quite be roadworthy/ road legal due to extensive mods etc- again if anything like this was acted upon I would find it very poor form. 

#455 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:42 PM

It may come as a surprise to you, but some coppers like playing with cars too....

#456 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:57 PM

Like any arm of the Law, they aren't going to discuss open investigations.

We probably wont get any 'updates' until the hammer has dropped.

From my understanding, the Vic Pol thread was started to allow anyone with concerns about their vehicles authienticity  an avenue to persue.  Particularly anyone who has/had purchased a car or parts from (Mr nameless) in Victoria, who just happened to have 10 or so desirable Toranas in their shed.

Video of that shed is in the news story. I think it is also what tipped some forum members off regarding the identity of the accused.

So if you know who it is, & you have bought/sold a car to this person, i think the Vic Pol would like to hear from you.  Just maybe YOUR S-Pak is now someone elses XU-!.

In the mean time, let the wheels of industry turn. Have some patience.

In the mean time its business as usual for the crims!

#457 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 12:58 PM

It makes you wonder also as many of us have posted details of our cars which would show evidence that they may not quite be roadworthy/ road legal due to extensive mods etc- again if anything like this was acted upon I would find it very poor form. 

Hold on a second, isn't the internet the World Wide Web??? As in anybody in the world can access it for information?
Who did you think is not allowed to access it???

#458 IMORAL

IMORAL

Bored

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,567 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:LX SS HATCH - IMORAL
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:12 PM

lol

#459 WhaleOilBeefHooked

WhaleOilBeefHooked

Lord Humungus The Ayatolla of Rock N Rolla.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,669 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:LJ GTR

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:35 PM

Don't tell me criminals have computers now ???

#460 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2015 - 01:52 PM

We have members in our clubs who are police and own and love Toranas.

#461 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 25 February 2015 - 02:34 PM

It is naïve to think that no police officer has ever looked at a forum to find some information about a particular person or vehicle.

Its their job to know what's going on, and what's going on is plastered all over social media including forums and Facebook.

A guy got done in Dampier for drink driving and putting it on Facebook, its in the news today.

I think most of us would be disappointed if we saw that and he didn't get charged.

Why wouldn't they use whatever means to do their job?

I agree that I would be disappointed if Police were using information on the forum to target unroadworthy cars or get togethers, but at the same time we have to expect that they may do this in order to fulfil their obligations to the community.

#462 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,969 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 25 February 2015 - 03:03 PM

Some forums use a secret members area to discuss their pursuits which may be in the grey areas.

Nothing outright illegal tolerated though.

But lots of members tend to have access to private roads where speed limits do not apply.

To gain access to the members only areas you need to be validated by usually at least 2 members.

This area was not only to reduce the police knowing stuff but so thieves etc didnt have access to stuff as well.

#463 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:19 PM

AFAIK we have members on this Forum that are Police officers that love Torana's.

#464 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 25 February 2015 - 06:21 PM

AFAIK we have members on this Forum that are Police officers that love Torana's.

Correct and bloody good blokes to

#465 LC-GTR-1969

LC-GTR-1969

Shed tinkerer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,162 posts
  • Car:Which one?
Garage View Garage

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:09 PM

Hold on a second, isn't the internet the World Wide Web??? As in anybody in the world can access it for information?

I did not say anything to suggest police should not be able to access it. I made a comment that it would be unfortunate IF police "were" to use / act upon some of the trivial/small illegalities/ grey areas that they witness on the forum. 

Please read my post again as I do not appreciate being misquoted, or using my words out of context. 

My words- "if anything like this was acted upon I would find it very poor form" This statement was made in reference to the photos etc of cars that are regularly posted on here that illustrate some evidence of not quite kosha mods legally speaking... 

My words were drafted from a perspective I think it would be a shame if agencies were to dig for dirt on relatively trivial matters through this forum. I did not suggest at any stage that police are not welcome here OR that I do not like them being members, nor did I make any reference to suggest that I did not know that Police may own toranas also... 

To put things in context, the OP was Victorian Police informing us of illegal Muscle car re-birthing, and then 2 or three posts later, a mod indicates that police often check in here (and I was making reference that I hope that they are 'NOT' doing this for negative reasons to enforce relatively trivial matters).

Personally I think it would be great to have police officers constructively involved in the forum and in car clubs- but I was talking from a completely different context.

Its always quite humorous to see how people can twist words. 

#466 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:13 PM

Some forums use a secret members area to discuss their pursuits which may be in the grey areas.
Nothing outright illegal tolerated though.
But lots of members tend to have access to private roads where speed limits do not apply.
To gain access to the members only areas you need to be validated by usually at least 2 members.
This area was not only to reduce the police knowing stuff but so thieves etc didnt have access to stuff as well.

On the dirt bike forums you need to PM everything if going for a ride. If you don't you may find them waiting for you in the tree.

#467 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:31 PM

I have quite a few Police friends, and none of them bring there work home with them............  They ride bikes, they drink beer, and they like football...   they just have a day job, and that job sometimes impacts on how much fun we can get away with...     :ph34r:

#468 Tyre biter

Tyre biter

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 982 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:Should have gone with Palais...

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:44 PM

God forbid - ban them  :stirpot:

#469 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 07:46 PM

Indeed.

#470 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,472 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 25 February 2015 - 08:45 PM

At least 6 I personally know of here

And never once heard of any harassment at any meet I know of that was mentioned here before or after the event

Or any charges/infringements laid because of something said or done here ., photo posted etc

So I'd say the ones we have here...and some have been members from day 1 ... are tops blokes

#471 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 25 February 2015 - 11:29 PM

Like any arm of the Law, they aren't going to discuss open investigations.

We probably wont get any 'updates' until the hammer has dropped.

From my understanding, the Vic Pol thread was started to allow anyone with concerns about their vehicles authienticity  an avenue to persue.  Particularly anyone who has/had purchased a car or parts from (Mr nameless) in Victoria, who just happened to have 10 or so desirable Toranas in their shed.

Video of that shed is in the news story. I think it is also what tipped some forum members off regarding the identity of the accused.

So if you know who it is, & you have bought/sold a car to this person, i think the Vic Pol would like to hear from you.  Just maybe YOUR S-Pak is now someone elses XU-!.

In the mean time, let the wheels of industry turn. Have some patience.

Col, I would suggest caution about drawing conclusions from a news report. Remember, the media are notorious for not letting the facts get in the way of a good story, just as the cops are notorious for staying silent on what they know and are doing behind the scenes. Unfortunately cases like this take some time because all the i's have to be dotted etc., so it holds up in court. It will all come out eventually. JP

In the mean time its business as usual for the crims!

I'm pretty sure it's safe to say it's not business as usual for the 'crims'. There were members on the forum all the time before the bust and they haven't been seen or heard of since.I'm also sure it's a safe bet they're very busy 'assisting with enquiries'! JP

#472 Statler

Statler

Heckler Extraordinaire

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,282 posts
  • Name:Col

Posted 26 February 2015 - 11:56 AM

Are you suggesting the news story & video is of file footage?

#473 bullitA9X

bullitA9X

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,160 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 26 February 2015 - 07:50 PM

What I find funny are the forum members that Are involved in this I said to friends they are dodgy years ago stay away they said daz na mate there good blokes hahaha

#474 jpxu1

jpxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 549 posts

Posted 26 February 2015 - 10:37 PM

Are you suggesting the news story & video is of file footage?

No, all the 'bits' are live footage. My caution is about what 'bits' get grouped together and then the assumptions drawn of what allegedly happened where and by whom. Some people may know or think they have worked out those (some?) involved, but that doesn't mean they then know what's happened, and drawing conclusions, especially incorrect ones, could be very litigious! JP

#475 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,099 posts

Posted 27 February 2015 - 06:22 AM

Totally off topic but no, the internet isn't the 'web, the web sits on top of the internet. Internet has been around since the 60's, WWW didn't exist until 1995. There is a great book called I think "weaving the web" by the web's creator whose name eludes me, it is a hypenated surname.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users