Legal rims

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#1 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:28 PM

Hey guys I know that uc torana came out with 13 inch and guy told me that I can only legally put on 15 inch rims but I want around 18 ... Is it best to get my car regoed with 13's than after it all passed , switch them??

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 16 February 2015 - 08:30 PM

Get it regoed with the 13s

#3 _mello92_

_mello92_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:01 PM

Its not particularly about wheel diameter, the 'rules' (which vary from person to person by the way) are more concerned with overall diameter of the tyres, track width and tyre width. 

So yes it can be done, but it will be far easier if you have it roadworthied and registered with more suitable wheels.

#4 hawk

hawk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,147 posts
  • Name:steve
  • Car:UC Torana

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:05 PM

Try and always keep a spare set of 13's if going for bigger wheels, just incase you get a defect. You dont want to be defected and have no standard wheels to get it cleared.

#5 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

Seeing as you're in NSW, read the official answer:

http://www.rms.nsw.g...vsi-09-rev4.pdf

There doesn't appear to be a restriction on rim diameter but instead on overall diameter, where:

The outside diameter of the wheel and tyre combination must be no more than 15mm over the largest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle and not more than 15mm below the smallest diameter wheel and tyre combination specified for the vehicle.

I assume something like a 205/70R13 would've been about the largest tyre available on a UC?

If so, then the maximum overall diameter would be 617 + 15 = 632mm, meaning you might get away with a 225/35R18 with an overall diameter of 615mm (the step up to a 225/40R18 takes it over the limit to 637mm)? But you need to find out what the largest tyre available on a UC was to confirm.

You just have to adjust the aspect ratio to make the sidewall height smaller as the rim gets bigger.

#6 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2015 - 09:36 PM

Alright thanks guys , yeah that's a good tip about the spare set. I have 13's at the moment so I'll keep them . And also thanks for the research it helped :)

#7 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2015 - 10:01 PM

THings you need to consider. 

An increased rolling diameter increases the distance from the center hub of the wheel to the contact patch of the tyre, beause the brake caliper is in a fixed position incrasing this distance will decrease braking efficency. 

It will also decrease acceleration by effectively increasing the final drive ratio. 

Aluminium is more dense than rubber, so a larger diameter rim with a low profile tyre will in general be heavyer than a smaller rim with a tall profile tyre. This increases your unsprung mass, which decreases your suspensions ability to follow the road correctly, and also increases the load on suspension components, leading to premature failure.

Also the lower profile tyre will have less give, thus again increasing the load on suspension components whilst going over bumps, leading to premature failure. 

Lastly, its very hard to get big rims in Torana stud pattern, thank god. Its also hard to get rims in HQ pattern, comodore pattern is easy to get big rims on, but IS NOT INTERCHANGEABLE WITH HQ PATTERN. Neither of the latter will go close to fitting onto Torana pattern. 

Cheers. 

#8 _duggan208_

_duggan208_
  • Guests

Posted 16 February 2015 - 11:41 PM

If you do your research and find out what you can and can't do, from the NSW Government , whatever it is in NSW. Get it passed with those wheels on it and then you will have two legs to stand on when the cops decide to not like your wheels. As good as 18 inch rims may look I'd take into account what the above comment from Bomber points out.

Regards

#9 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 17 February 2015 - 12:00 PM

By the way, something that you may not have seen.

Item 13 states:

Replacement of tyres that change tyre overall diameter by more than 7% of the overall original diameter*.
* ’overall original diameter’ means the maximum outside diameter of the largest tyre specified by the vehicle’s original manufacturer as an option for the vehicle, as shown on the vehicle’s tyre placard.

so if you put a bigger rim on the car, and the overall diameter of the tyre increases my more than 7% you will require an engineers cert

#10 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 02:33 PM

Where are you reading "Item 13" Glenn, I can't find that or the quoted text in VSI09?

As I said earlier, the diameter of the actual rim has little to do with it...

a 205/70R13 has an outside diameter of 617mm,

a 225/35R18 has an outside diameter of 615mm, so the 18" rim and tyre combination is 2mm smaller overall than the 13" rim and tyre.

Also, I've read there are some European cars that use a stud pattern very similar to a Torana (some Alfa, Jaguar, Peugeot, Renault & Volvo models) although they're listed as having a PCD of 5x108mm, whereas a Torana PCD is 5x4.25" (which works out to 0.05mm difference), I have no idea whether they'd physically fit or whether they'd be safe?

#11 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:47 PM

Thanks guys, my torana has commodore stud pattern on it so it fits the old Commodores, will most likely be getting hotwires though I'll post a link of them

#12 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 03:51 PM

http://m.ebay.com.au...WATCHING_ACTIVE

He said lowest he could go is 6:50 but not nuts or caps ... Postage will cost me 100 dollars . And how much do u think tires would cost for this?? This would be legal in prett sure

#13 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:08 PM

Ah, not to state the obvious but if your "torana has commodore stud pattern", why are you looking at wheels with a Torana stud pattern?

#14 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 17 February 2015 - 04:09 PM

Those hotwires wont fit on commodore stud pattern

#15 r2160

r2160

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 712 posts
  • Name:Glenn
  • Car:2/71 LC GTR, 4/71 LC 4 'S'

Posted 17 February 2015 - 06:47 PM

http://www.rms.nsw.g...difications.pdf

#16 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,383 posts

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:03 PM

Cheers mate, trust dear old New South Wales to contradict itself in two separate documents!

I think we're the last state not to have adopted the NCOP now aren't we, or is Tasmania still making up their own rules too?

#17 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 07:21 PM

Not every other state has adopted the NCOP, unsure about other states, think WA has fully adopted it, QLD and VIC have adopted it with some modifictations....

Edited by Bomber Watson, 17 February 2015 - 07:32 PM.

#18 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:27 PM

Oh yeah hahahha sorry forgot :(

#19 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:31 PM

Personally I like 14's or 15's on Torana's
I had 17 x 8's with 215 40's & I didn't like the ride I know have 14 x 7's Rebels & it rides much nicer

Attached Files

#20 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:36 PM

Bet the car handles a lot better to. 

F1 car, the absolute pinnacle of cornering ability, period....

Wont see huge bling bling rims with rubber band tyres on them...Hmmm wonder why...

mclaren_mp2-24_2009f1car-111.jpg

#21 _uca78t_

_uca78t_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 08:59 PM

Yeah it does I think it's only an inch lower all round with new shocks last year the springs are pedders & they are about 7 years old with about 35000 Kay's on them. She drives quiet nice.

#22 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:00 PM

Lol. I haven't done the science but my taxi handles amazingly well with 17's, stiff springs, Munro shocks and big fat sway bar. Grips through the twists and is really predictable when it's time to stomp and steer :)

Way better than my previous taxi with everything similar except stock sway bar and 14's.

No science, just how it feels.

#23 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:07 PM

Dont forget the Placebo effect mate. 

#24 _UC Kid_

_UC Kid_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:10 PM

Yeah I will take your advice and go for 14-15s , if you see any nice black or chrome ones let me know :)

#25 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 February 2015 - 09:12 PM

Throw some commy 15" stockies on it painted flat black and go for roady hehe.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users