#51 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:04 AM

Well said Dr Terry.

It's not the bloke protecting the club by following the rules' fault. It's the dickhead who came up with such restrictive guidelines to begin with!

Good point, but I think if you look into the history of the NSW vintage plate scheme, you will understand the issue.

Put simply, it was originally devised to enable owners of Veteran & Vintage cars (this was back in 1959 !!) to be able to transport their unregistered cars to charity events. It was a limited use "permit to move" & nothing more. This was gradually widened to allow any "official club event", but it has remained basically unchanged until now. Hence the "as original as possible" wording, which has existed since before most of us were born.

The problem is partially that owners of modified  cars over the years have had many dramas with both the Police & rego authorities & an "us versus them" situation has developed over many decades. 

Nobody until now has properly looked at making the system more "user friendly" by use of legal means. Hence the ACMC was formed & they approached the RTA/RMS to make all of this possible.

I don't think that it helps by poo-pooing anything before we know what it's about, or calling an unknown rule maker a 'dickhead', when it didn't happen that way.

The car scene as it is today (modified, concours, 4WD, recreational or whatever) just did not exist back in 1959 when this all started.

Dr Terry

#52 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 07 September 2015 - 07:18 AM

I don't think that it helps by poo-pooing anything before we know what it's about

True and from the sounds of it; it's a step in the right direction for many of us.

s

#53 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:36 AM

Hi Guys

We had a meeting last night & here’s what I can tell you. I doubt that anybody is going to be driving on the new rego scheme on 1st Oct. The roll out will be progressive.

The first thing that needs to happen, is the vetting of existing RMS recognised car clubs (those who run H-plates now) so that they can OK cars on the new scheme. It seems that each club, if they wish, will need to apply to be allowed to administer the new system.

Many clubs may not want to go thru the process & some new clubs may be established, but they will be looked at closely.

The easiest cars to put on the system are those legitimately on H-plates currently. So once your club has gone thru the approval process & if your car is currently on H-plates & you want to change to the log-book scheme, then you'll probably be on by Christmas. Unmodified cars with existing full rego will follow.

If the car is modified, then engineering approval (if required) is paramount. It will be self-regulating & this is why it’s called a ‘trial’. Many minor mods will not require engineering. The VSI 6 standards will apply.

On the issue of costs, again they’re not finalised yet, but they hint at a pro-rata rate, so if your current rego figure including CTP is, then divide it by 365 & then multiply by 60, (roughly 1/6 of the total) I believe you could be close. So if your current rego & green slip totals say $900 (a common figure for old cars) then the new scheme should cost around $150.

The big question, when it comes to costs, is insurance. Again, this is a trial & what is learned over the next 2 years will then be adjusted accordingly & put into practice on a permanent basis.

Strangely, number plates are not sorted yet either. No mention was made of any new number plate type (M or S plate or whatever) or it could be that you may be able to use your existing full-rego plate although that seems unlikely according to some. One thing for certain is that rego stickers will be issued, just like H-plated cars. It appears the RMS computer can’t handle concessional rego.

I think the next few months will be interesting to say the least.

Dr Terry

#54 _grumpy 026_

_grumpy 026_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2015 - 12:50 PM

Hi Dr Terry,

Re; clubs being vetted to administer the proposed Trail of 60 day permit system and ok cars to the new scheme.

The club of which I am a member have discussed the new system and I had  been of the view that the H plate was to remain as is, 

The new scheme would be run parallel within approved clubs but inspections via current authorised motor inspection system and RMS as per full rego.

I an keen to learn the true facts and see how it will fit and work. Some clubs are not being advised much if at all.

G

#55 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:26 PM

Hi Dr Terry,

Re; clubs being vetted to administer the proposed Trail of 60 day permit system and ok cars to the new scheme.

The club of which I am a member have discussed the new system and I had  been of the view that the H plate was to remain as is, 

The new scheme would be run parallel within approved clubs but inspections via current authorised motor inspection system and RMS as per full rego.

I an keen to learn the true facts and see how it will fit and work. Some clubs are not being advised much if at all.

G

100% correct. The existing H-plate scheme remains as is. The new system is optional for current H-plate guys & is the only option if your car is modified.

The new system is as I describe, there isn't much detail to it yet, other than what I have written.

What I have posted above are the true facts from the horse's mount, so to speak.

Get your club to e-mail the RMS on: [email protected]

Do you have any questions, I can probably help ?

Dr Terry

#56 _grumpy 026_

_grumpy 026_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2015 - 01:57 PM

Thanks Dr Terry,

I am keen to see the detail when it happens, and thanks for your offer.

G.

#57 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 September 2015 - 02:37 PM

Thanks Dr Terry,

I am keen to see the detail when it happens, and thanks for your offer.

G.

What 'detail' do you mean ? There isn't much to the rego side of it.

Dr Terry

#58 _LH SLR 3300_

_LH SLR 3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 September 2015 - 10:12 PM

Dr Terry, I would appreciate if you could post info regarding the plates as soon as you know something. You seemed to be more "connected" for lack of a better term. I own a completely standard unrestored & unmodified 1974 6cyl LH with 132,000 original & documented kms which from what I gather may be eligible for this scheme. It is currently on full NSW rego with the original 1974 issue plates that match all the log books & original purchase receipt from Hunt Holden in Lakemba. I would like to keep these plates on the car, if they allow that under the scheme, it would be good, otherwise I'll just keep paying the full rego. Thanks

#59 _trna76hb_

_trna76hb_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:26 AM

I don't think you can keep the original number plates.

They will issue new plates like the "H" plate NSW already has.

Ian

#60 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 11 September 2015 - 07:42 AM

I don't think you can keep the original number plates.

They will issue new plates like the "H" plate NSW already has.

Ian

That is not yet confirmed.

New dedicated plates would be the logical format, but it seems that even though they have issued a press release to say that it will be up & running by 1st Oct, little things like the plates & the log books themselves have not yet even been discussed internally.

As I said, watch this space, many items are yet to be resolved.

Dr Terry

#61 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2015 - 11:53 AM

Heres a bit more info,   http://vvcmcc.org/ns...rial-150925.pdf

#62 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts
  • Name:Andrew
  • Car:(s) not as many as I'd like but more than I've got space for!

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:21 PM

I read on another forum that in other states you can choose the number of days (45 or 90 for example) you get in the logbook, and obviously the price varies accordingly.

This sounds like an excellent idea to me, many of us have multiple vehicles that will be eligible and 60 days on say 2 different cars may be too many, but 30 days on each car would be perfect.

If you could 'purchase' however many days you like, maybe options of 30, 60 or 90 day logbooks, that would make the scheme a lot more flexible, make a lot more people happy and the-powers-that-be still get the same amount of tax per car per day.

To make it easier on the coppers, maybe different coloured logbooks for each block of days, like a green logbook has 30 days, blue has 60 and red has 90? Or maybe someone purchasing 90 days would just get issued 3x 30 day logbooks, kind of like a coupon system?

#63 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 12:25 PM

Taking the "coupon" idea one step further, how about no fixed expiry date?

You buy 60 days and you get 60 days, regardless of whether it takes 6 months or 3 years to use them up?

Then once you've used all your "coupons", just go into the registry and purchase a new logbook (or order one in advance online)?

#64 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:13 PM

With the live registration scanning systems in hp cars, theres no need for different plates ir different coliured log books. It would all just dispkay in car

#65 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 27 September 2015 - 01:51 PM

True but ANPR can't tell how many days you've already logged, so the only way to tell whether you're legal is for a cop to physically inspect your logbook.

#66 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 27 September 2015 - 02:40 PM

Hi Dr Terry,

G

:iagree:  with Graham

AND I hope the "H" plates stay as they are

Cheap rego, cheap insurance with 2 cars on H plates

If the new system goes to "M" plates then I hope that clubs have the choice of staying on H or changing to M plates if in the future, that is left as an option

Barry

#67 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:10 AM

Dr Terry will all CMC clubs be included in the trial , or will it be up to each clubs Committee , to decide if their member can take advantage of the trial  ?

#68 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 30 September 2015 - 09:50 AM

Each club must contact the RMS at: 

[email protected].

if they wish to participate.

Dr Terry

#69 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2015 - 06:18 PM

Thanks Terry !

#70 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2015 - 06:04 AM

Just a question??

Is this new Trial scheme outside any Club event or Sanctioned run???

Eg; if you have a club run or a sanctioned run this would not be classed as one days use on this new Trial?

cheers Dane

#71 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 07:58 AM

That's a good question. I've had several mates phone the RMS trying to get some clarity & we got different answers each time.

They haven't got their act together yet, it seems.

My thoughts are that the 60 days are in addition to sanctioned club events.

Have a read of this, it's their latest:

http://www.rms.nsw.g...book-trial.html

Dr Terry

#72 _sunburst73-xu1_

_sunburst73-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2015 - 10:53 AM

Thank you Dr Terry
Interesting statement at the very top
Copied from top,

The log book trial will allow classic vehicles to be used for 60 days of general use (ie maintenance and personal use) each year, outside of club organised events. Each day’s use must be recorded in a log book issued at a registry or service centre.

Looks like it might not include any club event,I need to have this clarified so I don't give members in my club the bum steer!

Cheers Dane

#73 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:11 PM

Hmm, I may be reading too much into the syntax but to me that says 60 days TOTAL.

If it didn't have the comma in there I'd agree with you as it would say...

60 days of general use each year outside of club organised events.

...but it doesn't say that. Also goes on to say...

Each day’s use must be recorded in a log book issued at a registry or service centre.

If club events are not included you could end up with something like 100 days usage recorded in your 60 day log book?

BTW, the scheme must have gone live on October 1st as I've read on other forums that people already have their log books.

EDIT:

Why the hell do they write things ambiguously like that, it would be so simple to phrase it so there was absolutely no doubt.

Edited by Bigfella237, 03 October 2015 - 01:15 PM.

#74 _dno_

_dno_
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:31 PM

There's a bit of info in this link from a guy that's just changed his H plated truck to the log-book system.

http://www.hcvc.com....?num=1443741249

#75 Bigfella237

Bigfella237

Socially Distant

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,376 posts

Posted 03 October 2015 - 01:36 PM

Thanks dno, I stand corrected, so apparently it is 60 days per year in addition to club use?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users