RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:55 AM

Central West NSW is sort of close to South Australia,  the extreme heat can play with a man's head .

Can cause very peculiar behaviour!

lol

but regardless, ...stomping on the go pedal with that many c.i. is a bit different to even the hottest 6 cyl. ( sorry Bomber)

#202 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:16 AM

Looks alright here Mark,

didn't think the XU1 boot would be used as a table.  :spoton:

162_zpsa8fe540d.jpg

http://s1285.photobu...fe540d.jpg.html

At least the boot on the XU-1 is a good place to store the car care goodies for the Ford.

#203 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:40 AM

Think he means in the boot Dave, not on it

#204 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,595 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 26 December 2015 - 11:52 AM

Ah, that makes sense Grant.

#205 _bathurst-racer_

_bathurst-racer_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:42 PM

Yeah, you can't have stuff to keep the Ford clean sitting out in the open. Seriously though the Torana is in a few bits and pieces and is covered in two years of dust. I do go into the workshop to work on it but I have to move the Torino first and well...

3hours later, a tank of fuel gone and another 100 miles on the clock its time to put it away and feed the animals.

#206 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:21 PM

I actually think he is on the wrong forum!

Hey Bathurst Racer,

Are you a member of the Aus. US Muscle Forum?

If not, I'm sure they'd love to hear about the Torino over there.

http://www.usmuscle....orum/index.php?

s

#207 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 26 December 2015 - 10:34 PM

Think he means in the boot Dave, not on it

The roof of a L31 hatch make a great shelf in the shed.

77FD78CE-1FD5-4C08-8F86-2358ED5BC6EE_zps

#208 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:52 AM

Oh come on guys!! I thought Bathurst racer was taking the piss, lakeside you know better and hold be shot for that!!!

I tell you what guys, I will come and build you some great shelves and a racking system , and in return I will relieve you of the car lettering you garage!

On a side note, I can understand driving one car, regardless of its variety, instead of working on the other.
Although, seems you should go to the shed when it rains, solves all problems.

See later on lakeside, I will get some measurements :)

#209 _bathurst-racer_

_bathurst-racer_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:19 AM

Hi Stephen, yes I am on the US MUSCLE forum but your question answers itself. Apart from a mate or two unless you have a Camaro or Corvette there any interest in your car on that forum. After being on there for over two years and even mentioning my Torino to you there wasn't even a flicker of recognition on your part.

Don't take this personally please, I just think they should own up and call it the GM Appreciation Forum.

Yes I was taking the piss, a bit     :stirpot:

Edited by bathurst-racer, 27 December 2015 - 09:21 AM.

#210 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 27 December 2015 - 09:39 AM

Don't take this personally please, I just think they should own up and call it the GM Appreciation Forum.

I agree with you there. Reason being, Mustang & Corvette owners have their own forums so it's basically what's left over and in this country that'll be the Camaro's; they take up a large slice of the US action here.

It's rather slow moving too so unless you post regularly with updates or questions there's not much in it but a good place to get info if you need it. This Torana forum is actually very popular, even with the facebook pages going on behind the scenes. The Mustang forum is also getting a bit of traffic.

Actually you'd probably get some appreciation on the Mustang forum due to your car having a 429 SCJ; it may be a place to get info if you have questions regarding your motor but you'll probably get guys wanting to buy it, lol.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 27 December 2015 - 09:40 AM.

#211 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 27 December 2015 - 11:59 AM

Ive always thought of the great majority of pustang and corvette owners as blokes who think they are car guys.

#212 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2015 - 12:07 PM

Agree ^^ ....  + it must be a slow old Torrie, if it can't keep up with a Yank Tank ............ B)

#213 _bathurst-racer_

_bathurst-racer_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:09 PM

I don't know of any Torana  off the showroom floor which will do a 13.9 without trying over the quarter.

Ooops I now see your point Ian. Yes the Torana in all its various models is a lot slower than the average American homologation special. Which makes sense as our cars were built to compete in standard specs against other standard cars where the Yanks built theirs for Super Stock, NASCAR and the Trans Am. Sort of like comparing Formula Vee and Formula One.

#214 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:16 PM

Don't worry... The Holden six guys are almost akin to little dogs...

You know what I mean ? Small dog syndrome I believe is the clinical terminology ;)

#215 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2015 - 07:38 PM

Bit like the albino midget syndrome that you display skap 

#216 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 27 December 2015 - 08:11 PM

I don't know of any Torana  off the showroom floor which will do a 13.9 without trying over the quarter.

Ooops I now see your point Ian. Yes the Torana in all its various models is a lot slower than the average American homologation special. Which makes sense as our cars were built to compete in standard specs against other standard cars where the Yanks built theirs for Super Stock, NASCAR and the Trans Am. Sort of like comparing Formula Vee and Formula One.

Yep fair call Bathurst Racer...........   except that our little home grown six, beat the best American Muscle they had ....  almost twice, little thing about running out of petrol..:(  and lets not forget the Camaro had a couple of good cracks at our 4 door Taxi, and came up short every time......  just saying 

American cars are great,   if you live your life a 1/4 mile at a time....    Australian Performance cars go around corners and stop..   and thats what I like...   cheers mate ...    

#217 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:12 AM

Most Mustang and Camaro guys or girls wouldn't know a muscle car if it bit them on the ass. That's why most of them have 64 to 66 Mustang's and 67 to 69 Camaro's and mostly basic models that came out with 200 and 250ci engines now converted to small blocks. Yeah you could get good one's in those years and many I would like but most of these people know very little about cars and probably drive a Honda Civic or Toyota Corolla every day and wouldn't even know about Big block Buicks, Hemi Mopars or even your Gran Torino after all they probably learnt everything they know about car from gone in 60 seconds and I know that is a later model in both movies, cheers Aaron.

Edited by imj411, 28 December 2015 - 12:13 AM.

#218 _bathurst-racer_

_bathurst-racer_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2015 - 06:09 AM

Does someone here own a Gran Torino ? I have seen a couple of those at car shows but never on this forum.

If you're thinking my car is one of those Aaron the rest of your post is irrelevant because you obviously don't have much of a clue about American cars.

I'm not being nasty but you're quick to call out owners of regular Mustangs and Camaros as people who know little about cars and then show your own ignorance. Do you think that most owners of SL Toranas and other basic models don't know much about cars?

I have owned muscle cars since the early eighties and always drove a 4 cylinder ute or similar as my daily driver.

I haven't seen any 6 cylinder American imports converted to small block V8s here and certainly not most of them as you claim.

Yes Ian the XU-1 did beat the GTHO at Bathurst in 72 and I own my Torana because I respect that. I won't consider the Falcon as the best American Muscle they had because that's not true. The 351 Cleveland is a heavy engine, prone to oil surge and valve train failure. Then they stuck it into a chassis that wasn't raced with that engine anywhere else in the world and told a drag racer to win Bathurst with it. It was good enough to power the Falcon to many race wins on tracks as varied as Amaroo and Surfers Paradise, I wonder what Harry Firth could have done with it.

I'll also put it to you that no Torana handles or stops as well as a Boss 302 Mustang or 67/68 Z 28 Camaro.

The Channel 9 Camaro was built in a shed at Manly Vale in Sydney and still was faster than the Australian factory supported race cars at Bathurst. Not bad for a car with not much sponsorship and no factory input.

Anyway back to the original thread. The Torana doesn't meet the American definition of a muscle car until maybe the two door A9X  was released. The earlier cars do meet the local criteria  as does the 225 Valiant Pacer and the John Goss 302 Hardtop.

#219 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2015 - 07:56 AM

Torana are better ... (pokes tongue out and makes rude gesture)   ....  lol    

A peace offering, that should make you happy ......   Still with a bench seat in 1974???    it's not really made for going around corners ....  but beautiful just the same.

#220 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:14 AM

Wow some people on this forum no how to write some shit,..fancy singling out mustang and camaro owners,..

i personally have owned all the collectible torana's,monaro's that matter over a 36 year period and still own a few L34's,..

its kinda of a choice thing,.i've also owned a variety of 65 66 and 68 fastback mustangs,corvettes as i've owned 68 and still own a 69 SS camaro as well a factory powered 68 hemi car...

most people who choose these car's tend to like the shapes and research what there buying,..

a minority buy these car's with little knowledge as in there eyes there cool and give them the attention they seek..

i bought and owned these car's at various time's cause i liked what they were and there power plants..Some stuff written in this topic is based on personal preference and not on experience with these car's..

when i owned my stock 5 litre SS hatchback with hubcaps i used to cringed when it would be described to me as muscle car...then i used get told i had a bathurst L34,..

always knew these people had little to no knowledge about car's and generally let them continuing on following sheep with there interpretation of so called australian muscle car's

Bathurst- racer you make a lot of good points based on your experience's..our australian touring car's are great and its what we grew up with...for me growing up and seeing bob jane's killer camaro and moffat's trans-am mustang inspired me to own american cars as did watching peter brock drive the wheels all torana's he successfully won bathurst in..opinions on this forum are biased cause we love our torana's but there still not muscle car's but perhaps in our own eyes to some they are....each to there own..again some of my thoughts and opinions

#221 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 08:19 AM

Does someone here own a Gran Torino ? I have seen a couple of those at car shows but never on this forum.
If you're thinking my car is one of those Aaron the rest of your post is irrelevant because you obviously don't have much of a clue about American cars.
I'm not being nasty but you're quick to call out owners of regular Mustangs and Camaros as people who know little about cars and then show your own ignorance. Do you think that most owners of SL Toranas and other basic models don't know much about cars?
I have owned muscle cars since the early eighties and always drove a 4 cylinder ute or similar as my daily driver.
I haven't seen any 6 cylinder American imports converted to small block V8s here and certainly not most of them as you claim.

Yes Ian the XU-1 did beat the GTHO at Bathurst in 72 and I own my Torana because I respect that. I won't consider the Falcon as the best American Muscle they had because that's not true. The 351 Cleveland is a heavy engine, prone to oil surge and valve train failure. Then they stuck it into a chassis that wasn't raced with that engine anywhere else in the world and told a drag racer to win Bathurst with it. It was good enough to power the Falcon to many race wins on tracks as varied as Amaroo and Surfers Paradise, I wonder what Harry Firth could have done with it.
I'll also put it to you that no Torana handles or stops as well as a Boss 302 Mustang or 67/68 Z 28 Camaro.
The Channel 9 Camaro was built in a shed at Manly Vale in Sydney and still was faster than the Australian factory supported race cars at Bathurst. Not bad for a car with not much sponsorship and no factory input.

Anyway back to the original thread. The Torana doesn't meet the American definition of a muscle car until maybe the two door A9X was released. The earlier cars do meet the local criteria as does the 225 Valiant Pacer and the John Goss 302 Hardtop.

Can't disagree with most of that!
Two of the four most 'Muscly' cars ever to race in this country were proper US race cars: Bob Jane's ZL1 and Moffat's Transam Mustang. Both are highly sought after today in the US.
The other two are?

The only thing i'd disagree with is the A9X. To me the first racey Torana most fits the Muscle car theme, the LJ versions are simply evolution of the same theme.

#222 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 28 December 2015 - 09:09 AM

Wot,  I think only started this thread for a shit stir  :stirpot:  , not to get a definitive answer ...........   and to be honest, there probably isn't any real  Australian Muscle Cars ... but seriously who cars what category you choose to put your car under...  Supercar, Classic car, Touring car, Muscle car...  and most of our cars would fit all of those handles.. 

For anyone old enough to remember when Moffat's Mustang, Jane's Camaro, and a gaggle of other High Horsepower American & Australian coupes and sedans were drifting all over our favorite race tracks,  would remember the commentators describing "THAT YOU NEED TO MUSCLE THESE CAR'S AROUND THE TRACK" This is how I remember Our Aussie race cars picking up the term Muscle Cars....   I believe our reference has nothing to do with  the American equation of what makes a muscle car .... 

But as always, personal opinions are quoted as fact ......  and then someone gets upset ..  but that is why I like this forum & these cars, these cars create passion and passion creates pride, and pride creates conflict, and conflict creates ISIS .......  sorry, got carried away there,  I'm still Merry from Christmas ...    cheers all :)

#223 Balfizar

Balfizar

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 10:38 AM

Wot,  I think only started this thread for a shit stir  :stirpot:  , not to get a definitive answer ...........   and to be honest, there probably isn't any real  Australian Muscle Cars ... but seriously who cars what category you choose to put your car under...  Supercar, Classic car, Touring car, Muscle car...  and most of our cars would fit all of those handles.. 

For anyone old enough to remember when Moffat's Mustang, Jane's Camaro, and a gaggle of other High Horsepower American & Australian coupes and sedans were drifting all over our favorite race tracks,  would remember the commentators describing "THAT YOU NEED TO MUSCLE THESE CAR'S AROUND THE TRACK" This is how I remember Our Aussie race cars picking up the term Muscle Cars....   I believe our reference has nothing to do with  the American equation of what makes a muscle car .... 

But as always, personal opinions are quoted as fact ......  and then someone gets upset ..  but that is why I like this forum & these cars, these cars create passion and passion creates pride, and pride creates conflict, and conflict creates ISIS .......  sorry, got carried away there,  I'm still Merry from Christmas ...    cheers all :)

To quote Bill Skakespeare:- "a rose by any other names would smell as sweet" and australian grown are particularly fragrant to me. That is rose or car!

#224 V-SLR5000-P

V-SLR5000-P

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Car:L34 x 2
Garage View Garage

Posted 28 December 2015 - 11:10 AM

The other two are?

Geoghegan Mustang and Beechey Monaro?

#225 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 28 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

Geoghegan Mustang and Beechey Monaro?

Close. Geoghegan Super Falcon and Beechey HT GTS350. But I guess you'd have to consider the earlier Geohegan Mustang in the same sentence plus a few other likely contenders. None of these three were standard cars of course or purpose built race cars like the ZL1 and the Kar Kraft Transam Mustang. Both of these cars are probably close to million $US cars in the USA today if they were left as original.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users