Photo

Toranas are not Muscle Cars

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#176 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:29 PM

Maybe Byron . .  but the Japs dont fuk around.....  1 litre motor cycle engines pumping out 270 rwhp ... translate that into 6.0 ltr...   Nissan skyline 600+HP easy, Toyota JZ1/2 1000HP easy .....  6 cylinders are perfect, just ask Jaguar..  XJ220 = 6 cylinder....  like I said V8's sound great, but if you wan't to go fast, go 6 cylinder.. and if you want to go real fast, weld two of em together, and go V12......  and wave bye bye .......................  :)

#177 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:39 PM

If the Nissans and Toyotas are so well setup, why do the drift Skylines and Mazdas have LS motors in them?

Just say'n

#178 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

Cost and reliability ......  drifting is frocking hard on motors  :)

Try and get more HP per litre than a JZ2 .............   

#179 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

Hmmmmm  ....   Oh what a feeling ............  :)

#180 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 19 December 2015 - 09:50 AM

"Giant Killer" is a way better handle than some dumb muscle car name

This is the difference; it didn't need straight out muscle to win races. The Pony cars were tough looking, won races and you didn't see pony car owners in the US feel threatened that their cars aren't classed as muscle cars; they realise it was a certain car released in a certain era although now with the newly released Hellcats etc. this debate is going on in the US as to which new car is now a muscle car; the newer generation over there have also grown up using the word muscle interchangeably with their street machines.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 19 December 2015 - 09:50 AM.

#181 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 December 2015 - 10:43 AM

Cost and reliability ......  drifting is frocking hard on motors   :)

Try and get more HP per litre than a JZ2 .............

(National Dragster Via Acquire Media NewsEdge) It was way back in 1988 when I first calculated that Eddie Hill's Top Fuel record-setting 5.066 run at the Gatornationals required just more than 4,000 horsepower. That started a string of National Dragster articles on this topic, last showing 8,000 horsepower for Doug Kalitta's 4.486 at 333.91 mph in Houston in 2003. Antron Brown currently holds the e.t. record with a run of 3.701 seconds at 328.78 mph,(530 KPH) set in October 2012 in Reading. Today, we have an engine-dyno sheet for the Matco Tools Top Fuel dragster clearly showing more than 10,000 horsepower and at least 7,400 foot-pounds of torque.

Edited by Shiney005, 19 December 2015 - 10:45 AM.

#182 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 12:04 PM

Maybe Byron . .  but the Japs dont fuk around.....  1 litre motor cycle engines pumping out 270 rwhp ... translate that into 6.0 ltr...   Nissan skyline 600+HP easy, Toyota JZ1/2 1000HP easy .....  6 cylinders are perfect, just ask Jaguar..  XJ220 = 6 cylinder....  like I said V8's sound great, but if you wan't to go fast, go 6 cylinder.. and if you want to go real fast, weld two of em together, and go V12......  and wave bye bye .......................   :)

It is all relative though. The reason turbo Jap cars get so much hp is cubic capacity. Turbo plus big boost = huge increase in effective cc/ci. Take a 7.0L LS engine and give it mild boost via a blower or turbo(s). It'll produce similar hp, more torque and do it with more reliability than a screaming 6cyl of half the size. I don't think it matters much how many cyl there are, it is all about cubes (or effective cubes once you whack on a blower).

#183 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2015 - 03:57 PM

Well I'm not so sure ....  500cc speedway bike engine 70+ HP ...   Japanese motor technology rivals the Germans IMHO ...  take a Skyline or 94 Supra even, maybe 250/290 HP standard, but ad a big fuk-off Turbo , and the motors produce a reliable 600+HP, and in the Toyota's case 1000 HP, and the motor will handle it all day .... Japanese Motorcycle Technology made it's way into their cars, and they never looked back ...   the most HP per Litre was a Honda S2000 ...   and if you doudt my thought's..... check out the latest Skyline, and tell me something under $200,000 that would get anywhere near it ....   

And remember when Torana's lowly 3300cc's of Holden 6, beat the Worlds Fastest four door ...... And backed it up the following year ..  3.3 Litre .. but it had Aussie heart & pride ...  the rest is history .... :)

and America sent it's best over here, and got it's ass kicked every time...  first with the Phase 3, 2nd with the Camaro at Bathurst,  and 3rd'ly  with the Chev Lister at the Bathurst 24 hour ..

Nothing makes me sadder (pissed off) than people (other Aussies) not giving Australia's engineer's the credit they deserve.....  in Motorsport Aussies are the innovators, our expertise is evident in all aspects of motorsport...  The Aussie Skylines were the fastest in the World. Same with the Ford Sierra's ....  Brock took a XU-1 to damn can't spell it, but some fuked up overseas country and the GTR over achieved ....

I don't care what label you give Aussie car's .......   They are still some of the fastest touring cars in the World ...... hands down  :)   

#184 _big jack_

_big jack_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:27 PM

That's what we shall call Toranas' from now on

2uykrr9.jpg

#185 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:29 PM

Nothing makes me sadder (pissed off) than people (other Aussies) not giving Australia's engineer's the credit they deserve

I don't care what label you give Aussie car's .......   They are still some of the fastest touring cars in the World ...... hands down   :)   

No dispute here. I recall international racers would come here to check out Bathurst but only the very determined would stick with it; Moffat being one. Many would just look at the race track and say, 'you Australians are mad'.

s

#186 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,599 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 19 December 2015 - 04:31 PM

Hi John,

Torana = Muscle Car Killers.

That's what we shall call Toranas' from now on

2uykrr9.jpg

Like button for you.

#187 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:24 PM

I remember driving through the city with a mate in his XU1 and a couple of Asians mabey Japanese saw the GTR XU1 decals and said ahh GTR GTR, it was a pisser I don't know if they thought it was a old Skyline or if they realized it was our own Aussie super car much better then there's from the same era.

#188 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 19 December 2015 - 08:34 PM

I don't know if they thought it was a old Skyline or if they realised it was our own Aussie super car

I walked into a chemist and the Asian pharmacist behind the counter spotted my Toranafest t-shirt and mentioned he bought an LH after a long search for a good one. Another time an Indian guy stopped me at the servo and chatted about my LX; he filled up behind me and was driving a rather nice Gemini.

Asians that appreciate Toranas are definitely out there.

s

#189 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 08:08 AM

I remember driving through the city with a mate in his XU1 and a couple of Asians mabey Japanese saw the GTR XU1 decals and said ahh GTR GTR, it was a pisser I don't know if they thought it was a old Skyline or if they realized it was our own Aussie super car much better then there's from the same era.

I laughed when I looked at the Toyota 86's (almost bought one for my wife until I drove the gutless wonder)!

The lux levels are GT and GTS. GTS is the better one!

#190 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 December 2015 - 11:34 AM

ha ha Yel...we also liked the road test raves about the 86. Went for a test drive down the Central Coast in one....goodness me, it desperately needs a turbo or something. At the time we looked, it was a 6m wait anyway.

#191 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:05 PM

Edited by Indy Orange, 20 December 2015 - 12:12 PM.

#192 Indy Orange

Indy Orange

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,850 posts
  • Name:Paul

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:09 PM

Same thing happened to me but they were laughing.

#193 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:15 PM

At the start of that video clip they that the driving is done by professional race drivers on a closed track,yeah right must be on Donald Trumps freeway a round his back yard lol

#194 _hutch_

_hutch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:18 PM

All them turbo charged rice burners are missing one thing,they don't have the sound of a grumpy red 6, just the sound of a model aeroplane engine on steroids

#195 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 December 2015 - 12:41 PM

ha ha Yel...we also liked the road test raves about the 86. Went for a test drive down the Central Coast in one....goodness me, it desperately needs a turbo or something. At the time we looked, it was a 6m wait anyway.

We had even paid a deposit, but it was refunded after we got to drive one. It was replacing the CV8.

Despite the lack of power, it was also totally manual seats, whereas the CV8 moved its seat to suit whomever's key unlocked it. The seats were not an easy adjustment, they had to be pumped up and down. That really turned me off it as a daily driver.

Plus it was totally awful to get in and out of. I've never had a Holden or Torana that was hard to actually get out of at a carpark. The CV8 you'd easily pull into a normal carpark, crack the door open and swing your legs out. HK-HX coupe are the same as are LX hatches This one was like a new Camaro, you had to fully open the door to get out but in a carpark the door only opened halfway or you'd hit the car next to you. The 86 was the same. The only Holdens I've ever had trouble with were HQ-WB auto ute or tonner with standard steering wheel, and on those i'd just replace the auto pedal with a manual one and it was easier - it didn't grab your boot as bad as you got in. Sedans and panel vans I put different seats in that rolled back further for more legroom Even my SII RX7 was easy. I guess being 6'5" doesn't help, but still my mrs is only 5'9" and had the same trouble with the 86 as I did.

#196 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2015 - 06:30 PM

All them turbo charged rice burners are missing one thing,they don't have the sound of a grumpy red 6, just the sound of a model aeroplane engine on steroids

although this doesn't sound as good as an XU-1 at 7000 rpm......  it made the Grand Final .... :)  Phil, I hope you enjoy ......  :)

#197 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 22 December 2015 - 06:10 PM

the answer to the original question is in this old promo , between 08:28 and 09:00.

Some other old stuff later on, as well.

#198 _bathurst-racer_

_bathurst-racer_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 07:33 AM

I imported my 1970 Ford Torino 429 SCJ a couple of years ago. My XU-1 hasn't even been started up since the Ford arrived. There is no way a LJ Torana can be considered in the same league as a genuine muscle car. Comfort, performance and smiles per mile are all the in favour of the 425hp Torino. At least the boot on the XU-1 is a good place to store the car care goodies for the Ford.

#199 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 08:41 AM

I imported my 1970 Ford Torino 429 SCJ a couple of years ago. My XU-1 hasn't even been started up since the Ford arrived. There is no way a LJ Torana can be considered in the same league as a genuine muscle car. Comfort, performance and smiles per mile are all the in favour of the 425hp Torino. At least the boot on the XU-1 is a good place to store the car care goodies for the Ford.

Haha, a late contender for best post of 2015.

This will piss off some of the locals - no doubt :lol:

#200 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2015 - 09:05 AM

I actually think he is on the wrong forum!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users