258 replies to this topic

#126 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:23 PM

If the A9X is not a muscle car then Brocky wasted his time winning by 6 laps ffs

That wasn't an A9X Gene. Just like the 1984 VK that won Bathurst wasn't a road going Commodore. Nothing that won Bathurst past 1968 was a standard road car. What i'm getting at it the way the cars performed at Bathurst after 1968 really have no relevance to the road going version's status.

#127 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:39 PM

I don't understand where this "Standard A9X" stuff comes from ??  sure there is the odd survivor car that maybe untouched...... but who in there right mind bought an A9X and never put a big cam, big wheels, extractors and whatever else they could afford..     The argument that the A9X is slow is a joke.... Sure it was in standard form, but it weighed frock all and went ok...  and that was all it was able to do as Holden sold them...  there was never to be anymore showroom race cars..  BUT, the A9X was built with UPGRADES in mind... and these upgrades made it the most dominate touring car in Australian History ...   So lets move on from how bad the A9X was in standard form..... because it was never built to stay that way ...     :)

Muscle cars need to be as such in as sold form. 

What you do to it after the fact is irrelevant. 

Im tending to agree with yel, the only one we had was the GTS327. 

Apart from that, Aussie Muscle, which I recon should include four doors (GT Falcons) and I still recon the A9X wouldnt really be apart of. 

#128 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:40 PM

Out of all the Toranas the L34 is far more deserving of the term muscle car than an A9X, but the L34 wasnt available in a 2 door, so neither are a muscle car. 

A9X is a tarted up stock V8 hatch, its more a ricer than anything. 

Just a small correction..............the A9X is a tarted up stock 308 SS or SLR5000 (taxi)...........with a different cam, crank, cooling system, 4 wheel discs, different track, different wheel package, functional cold air intake for the engine & front brakes and a bigger diff but yes the remainder is mainly tinsel.

So based on that they are clearly not really worth more than a stock 308 SS or SLR5000 (taxi).

#129 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:44 PM

Since the frOck when does a stock as sold from the dealership A9X have anything other than an absolutely bog stock L31?

If im way off the mark im happy to be corrected. 

#130 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

As has been proven time and time again Bomber, there is no point arguing with you.

Yes mate they all has stock L31 engines as listed on the plate!

#131 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:07 PM

And as has been proven time and time again if you can prove me wrong I will happilly admit it, Hell I will even start a thread with a formal oppology if you really want it. 

I actually enjoy admitting that im wrong, as it means I have learnt something. 

I see no proof, and have never seen any, not that i've looked that hard.

So if you wish to teach me something, im happy to learn. If you dont, then frOck off?

Edited by Bomber Watson, 17 December 2015 - 09:09 PM.

#132 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,599 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:24 PM

I had a thought today about the Muscle Cars in Australia,

which would be the 350/454 Chev in the Registered LC/LJ Torana.

The regulation regarding the biggest motor put in that model,

or the weight factor, restricts has from doing this now.  :furious:  

#133 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

But it still wouldnt be a muscle car because its not a factory release dave....

#134 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:33 PM

Bomber I have no interest in teaching, my original post was not a dig at you however you have comeout of the corner swinging as usual.

So I shall take your advice and shall frock off.

Admins

Like so many others that once dwelled here it's time to move on, please remove me from this forum in all forms. My login, avatar and all my posts if possible.

Thank you.

#135 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:45 PM

Geez over react much ;).

Don't let Bomber get to you.... He likes little Holden engines.... 6 banger guys are all delusional !! Lol

#136 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:46 PM

His noodlyness skap, your such an asswipe, you big veeate loving thingamabob you. Im so gonna leave the forums because you hurt my feelings. 

#137 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:49 PM

Bomber I have no interest in teaching, my original post was not a dig at you however you have comeout of the corner swinging as usual.

So I shall take your advice and shall frock off.

Admins

Like so many others that once dwelled here it's time to move on, please remove me from this forum in all forms. My login, avatar and all my posts if possible.

Thank you.

Shit that's going a bit far, too sensitive much

#138 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:52 PM

I like both 6 and 8's but let's be honest, if you own and drive a 6 you are always wishing for a bit more power... Not so much with a proper sized displacement ;).

Edited by Skapinad, 17 December 2015 - 09:53 PM.

#139 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:54 PM

I'll race ya skap.... Though you might wanna bring ya missus's car. 

#140 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:56 PM

Pffft my 3L diesel Hilux would beat your non running LJ... frOck I could likely run faster than you pushing it ...

#141 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:06 PM

Baron don't let him get to you I don't think he means anything by his comments. Bomber The SS 5L is a muscle car it's engine is from a larger model and is only available in the Sports model and a A9X is a refined version of that car.

#142 _Mox_

_Mox_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:13 PM

Baron don't let him get to you I don't think he means anything by his comments. Bomber The SS 5L is a muscle car it's engine is from a larger model and is only available in the Sports model and a A9X is a refined version of that car.

I think the Baron has gone to order a mild cam for his car, LOL

#143 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

Heatseeker stage 2, should liven the old A9X up somewhat....

IMJ411, neither are muscle cars really. On that Note I will happilly admit no LC/LJ was ever a muscle car either. 

#144 Potta

Potta

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:35 PM

Its all irrelevant because the definition of what describes a "Muscle car' was invented after the fact to describe what people (Americans) generally mean when they use the term.

The idea of an Australian Muscle Car was not even considered.

In my opinion it is any car from the 60's and 70's that is small with a big motor.

By WOT's definition, Torana's are not muscle cars, but an American's definition of a fanny is far different to an Australian's.

I rest my case.

Bomber, stop being a fanny, you can take the Aussie definition or the American one, they both work lol.

#145 unclefestal34s

unclefestal34s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:12 PM

A lot off different definitions and varying opinions on what are classed as muscle car's in america and australia,..my 1968 factory plymouth gtx 426 hemi twin barrel carter carbs 4 speed dana 60 rear end is not classed as a muscle car but the same bodied car in road runner form A12 440 six pack is classed as a muscle car work that out...the mighty 426 engine which was banned from nascar racing for being to fast back in 1970 clocked at 208 mph..

i have never classed any of our australian car's as muscle car's and nor do i see them that way,yes they are special high performance car's ..our early monaro's were australian clones for the camaro's which no were no different to the mustang pony car's..our six cylinder torana's and six pack chargers were giant killers on the circuit ..our v8 torana's were first of the real big bangers racing against gt falcons that were disguised as shelby mustangs with the bullet proof drivelines..i don't even classed any off my L34's as muscle car's.even my my high out put car...

The factory american muscle car's all had big engine's and equally strong drivelines from the factory,..all our australian car's bar the GT Falcons had piss weak drivlines,..had the hk ht monaro's been fitted with 12 bolt diff's and muncie gearbox's instead of the piss weak saginaws and 10 bolt diff's then i may have changed my view..it may been and optioned for the diff but really..

Our australian car's from the late 60's and 70's would have had the arses spanked by the american car's in touring car form just go and watch some of the trans-am racing from that era and you will see..

Australia for it's size has built what i think are some of the best touring car's touring  i've seen but i still don't regard them as muscle car's,..most of our car's here that are being mentioned have been modified hot rodded what ever you want to call it to some degree..the only factory purpose built race car is the falcon gtho p3 400hp holley extractors but in american term dosen't qualify as its a 4 door car..the term muscle car has always been used loosely in my opinion...

anyway only my thoughts and opinion on this topic..

well done craig (wot179) for for picking a good topic for debate and discussion.. 

#146 Kirk

Kirk

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 841 posts
  • Name:Kirk
  • Car:LX SS 253

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:31 PM

If the A9X is not a muscle car then Brocky wasted his time winning by 6 laps ffs

Was the car that came second by 6 laps a shitbox?

#147 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 18 December 2015 - 12:10 AM

I don't really care what the literal meaning of Muscle Car is, and I say that because for me it's about interpretation and the feeling you get from driving any car.
Hop behind the wheel of a Commodre Equipe and you get from A to B. Hop behind the wheel of a HSV GTS and its more than just going from A to B, it getting there with a mega smile on your face. I know referencing new cars will earn me a barrage of comments but in terms of historic cars, it's the same.

To me, I love the L34 as the sensation and the rush it gives me is like no other Torana. It ticks the boxes, it's got noise, a race based engine, and tough look.
My SL hatch just doesn't fit that bill, I still love driving it but it's not the same love as the L34.

I would say that just because the description "Muscle Car" originated in the US, doesn't mean that other countries can't use that same wording to create their own basis for a muscle car.
I bet the bloke who first used those two immortal words together didn't think that the words would eventually be shoehorned into an Oxford Dictionary meaning.

Edited by eyepeeler, 18 December 2015 - 12:12 AM.

#148 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 18 December 2015 - 01:07 AM

Yanks can have Muscle Cars, our press said Super Cars in 1972 and the Top Speeds the V8 LJ and Phase 4 were capable of were matching the 1972 Lambo and 1972 Ferrari.

#149 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:05 AM

A lot off different definitions and varying opinions on what are classed as muscle car's in america and australia,..my 1968 factory plymouth gtx 426 hemi twin barrel carter carbs 4 speed dana 60 rear end is not classed as a muscle car but the same bodied car in road runner form A12 440 six pack is classed as a muscle car work that out...the mighty 426 engine which was banned from nascar racing for being to fast back in 1970 clocked at 208 mph..

i have never classed any of our australian car's as muscle car's and nor do i see them that way,yes they are special high performance car's ..our early monaro's were australian clones for the camaro's which no were no different to the mustang pony car's..our six cylinder torana's and six pack chargers were giant killers on the circuit ..our v8 torana's were first of the real big bangers racing against gt falcons that were disguised as shelby mustangs with the bullet proof drivelines..i don't even classed any off my L34's as muscle car's.even my my high out put car...

The factory american muscle car's all had big engine's and equally strong drivelines from the factory,..all our australian car's bar the GT Falcons had piss weak drivlines,..had the hk ht monaro's been fitted with 12 bolt diff's and muncie gearbox's instead of the piss weak saginaws and 10 bolt diff's then i may have changed my view..it may been and optioned for the diff but really..

Our australian car's from the late 60's and 70's would have had the arses spanked by the american car's in touring car form just go and watch some of the trans-am racing from that era and you will see..

Australia for it's size has built what i think are some of the best touring car's touring  i've seen but i still don't regard them as muscle car's,..most of our car's here that are being mentioned have been modified hot rodded what ever you want to call it to some degree..the only factory purpose built race car is the falcon gtho p3 400hp holley extractors but in american term dosen't qualify as its a 4 door car..the term muscle car has always been used loosely in my opinion...

anyway only my thoughts and opinion on this topic..

well done craig (wot179) for for picking a good topic for debate and discussion.. 

Pretty well said. All i'd say is the PhaseIII isn't the only purpose built race car made in Australia. All 3 x GT-HO's were purpose built race cars, as are the XU1's and for the modified GroupC rules so is the L34. The XA GT-HO and the V8 XU1 would have been too. GroupA cars were also factory racers. The primary reason for building all these cars was to race. The HK wasn't built with racing as the primary objective, the HT probably leaning more to racing although it is simply an evolution of the HK. I'm not 100% convinced if the XR and XT GT's were totally built to race. They were built because Ford were worried about what GMH were coming up with but not sure if Ford thought GMH were building a race car or if they wanted to beat GMH to the performance punch.

#150 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2015 - 06:47 AM

This is a very in depth article on American Muscle Cars ...  with HP & 1/4 mile times ....  http://musclecars.ho...e-cars-work.htm

Not many, if any, get much under anything we make here..  XU-1 Bathurst Special est. 14:00 & L34  would be quicker..  (I'm sure someone has the 1/4 mile times for both)

If all the lightweight american cars like mustangs, vetts, ac cobras ect. are  pony cars,  that doesn't leave too many that would get near our local (as Al said), Supercars .... 

And many consider the phase 3 not only as a muscle car, but the fastest 4 door car in the World, and it was basically,  an american muscle car, with our Ford falcon body ontop.....  And lets not forget, that our locally built 6 cylinder Torana beat it, And, they would have beaten the even more refined 73 Hardtop, had they not run out off fuel.....  

It really does seem a matter of choice,  as to what we all class as Muscle Cars..    Bit like a Chinese Gooseberry or a Kiwi Fruit, same thing, two different names   :)

Edited by ChaosWeaver, 18 December 2015 - 06:50 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users