StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:19 AM

the ute isn't Muscle, at least I don't think it is?

If you saw a ute in Street Machine mag with blower & blinged out engine bay, I can almost guarantee they'd use the word muscle in there somewhere; along with any number of descriptive terms for horsepower; neddies, ponies, etc.

Some words just stick and muscle is an apt term for it so it gets used whether it fits the strict definition or not.

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 17 December 2015 - 11:22 AM.

#102 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,099 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:27 AM

I get you, i'm still thinking of the cars as the manufacturer built them. By that definition a HB Torana with a Supercharged V6 out of a Commodore/Calais/Statesman is muscle, which to me it is far from it. But I get the point.

#103 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:31 AM

Its not always the quickest down the quarter...

#104 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,052 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2015 - 02:30 PM

Then it becomes an argument about what is Aussie Muscle!

My opinion is anything built as a factory racer between EH S4/S5 through to XA 4V and L34 is, then there is a gap until you hit the GroupA stuff. The stuff in between like the HJ coupe, HX LE and XC Cobra aren't, nor is the homologation cars like A9X and HDT cars.

Just my take on an Aussie Muscle Car but others will disagree naturally.

Hit the nail on the head. I would add a couple that weren't built for racing though. Bowlwell, Elfin, maybe even a 5.8 manual ESP Falcon. Also a few of the "special" cop cars I saw back in the eighties and nineties.

Attached File  Nagari_Composite.jpg   65.56K   0 downloads

Attached File  i_elfin_MS8_red_yellow_06dec.jpg   16.47K   0 downloads

Edited by Shiney005, 17 December 2015 - 02:32 PM.

#105 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 17 December 2015 - 03:53 PM

Well, I'm glad we sorted that out fellas.

Id hate for the thread to finish without this issue being resolved.

Its agreed.

Toranas are definitely not musclecars.

#106 _The Baron_

_The Baron_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:03 PM

LOL

#107 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,099 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:05 PM

But some of them are our Aussie versions of a similar theme! Bigger and/or modified engine in a smaller car. XU1 and L34.

#108 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:32 PM

I would still definitely call a A9X a muscle car. They still did over 200 and the quarter mile in the 15's so what it is post June 76. So if its American can we not make our own version better not call football, football or hot dogs, hot dogs you get the drift, cheers Aaron.

#109 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:42 PM

Out of all the Toranas the L34 is far more deserving of the term muscle car than an A9X, but the L34 wasnt available in a 2 door, so neither are a muscle car. 

A9X is a tarted up stock V8 hatch, its more a ricer than anything. 

#110 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 17 December 2015 - 04:43 PM

Well, I'm glad we sorted that out fellas.
Id hate for the thread to finish without this issue being resolved.
Its agreed.
Toranas are definitely not musclecars.

You got a lot to answer to my friend

#111 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:17 PM

lol ...........    you blokes :) 

Byron, I think it's fair to say there is Factory Muscle Cars, and there are Muscle Cars ...  some of the cars mentioned on here wouldn't get out of sight on a dark night, BUT add some muscle, and bingo you have what many would describe as a muscle car.... 

And as someone said (and he was spot on)  muscle car means a big piece of American shit box, that is fast in a straight line (because they put a truck motor in a car) and shit everywhere else, especially in Factory Form....

If this ain't muscle, you can froCk me .......   :nudie: Damn that's a nasty image ...  :)

#112 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:21 PM

Out of all the Toranas the L34 is far more deserving of the term muscle car than an A9X, but the L34 wasnt available in a 2 door, so neither are a muscle car.

#113 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:24 PM

Seriously who gives a frOck muscle car or not

#114 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:28 PM

Your Dress does .................  :)

#115 _threeblindmice_

_threeblindmice_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:30 PM

Toranas are pocket rockets !

#116 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:33 PM

I agree that a L34 is muscle car I just thought that the A9X looking like it does and goes pretty good as well must qualify. All Muscle cars are factory tarted up cars.

#117 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 05:38 PM

Fuk it, not a Torana in sight ..............  but muscle is definatly mentioned .....  :)

#118 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:16 PM

I agree that a L34 is muscle car I just thought that the A9X looking like it does and goes pretty good as well must qualify. All Muscle cars are factory tarted up cars.

No, your completely missing the point. 

Although they may have some stripes, cool rims and a tacho, apart from that a muscle car is just the top speck base model with a frOcking off its head engine. 

The L34 works there. The A9X does not

Cant think of any US muscle cars that have a stock engine thats available right along the model line but some bolt on fibreglass bits like the A9X. 

Edited by Bomber Watson, 17 December 2015 - 06:16 PM.

#119 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

Might have had a stock motor but it was the most powerful 8 of the day in a holden, with the pollution regs that the L34 did not have to deal with.  But it had a muscle car driveline with the 10 bolt and optional T10, plus over 100 different parts no other Torana came with. So it was more than just stickers and flairs.

#120 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:33 PM

I disagree (funnily enough)   The A9X along with the SS hatchback ran the biggest motor the manufacturer Holden made at the time...  so to at least me,  it fits the Aussie Muscle Car criteria, of having a large V8 put into a two door 5 seater car with sporting tones ......  happy for you to disagree ....  but most Aussie's know what we classify as our own Muscle Cars & whats not.....    

#121 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:37 PM

If the A9X is not a muscle car then Brocky wasted his time winning by 6 laps ffs

#122 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:55 PM

I disagree (funnily enough)   The A9X along with the SS hatchback ran the biggest motor the manufacturer Holden made at the time...  so to at least me,  it fits the Aussie Muscle Car criteria, of having a large V8 put into a two door 5 seater car with sporting tones ......  happy for you to disagree ....  but most Aussie's know what we classify as our own Muscle Cars & whats not.....    

Or you could buy a 308 SS hatch and go quicker down the quarter mile.... Jebus Christ you guys are dense. 

#123 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:25 PM

Pretty sure I mentioned SS Hatchback in the quote you highlighted .....  Dense is as dense does ....... U  never seize to amaze .  

#124 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:37 PM

I don't understand where this "Standard A9X" stuff comes from ??  sure there is the odd survivor car that maybe untouched...... but who in there right mind bought an A9X and never put a big cam, big wheels, extractors and whatever else they could afford..     The argument that the A9X is slow is a joke.... Sure it was in standard form, but it weighed frock all and went ok...  and that was all it was able to do as Holden sold them...  there was never to be anymore showroom race cars..  BUT, the A9X was built with UPGRADES in mind... and these upgrades made it the most dominate touring car in Australian History ...   So lets move on from how bad the A9X was in standard form..... because it was never built to stay that way ...    :)

#125 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,126 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:48 PM

I don't understand where this "Standard A9X" stuff comes from ??  sure there is the odd survivor car that maybe untouched...... but who in there right mind bought an A9X and never put a big cam, big wheels, extractors and whatever else they could afford..     The argument that the A9X is slow is a joke.... Sure it was in standard form, but it weighed frock all and went ok...  and that was all it was able to do as Holden sold them...  there was never to be anymore showroom race cars..  BUT, the A9X was built with UPGRADES in mind... and these upgrades made it the most dominate touring car in Australian History ...   So lets move on from how bad the A9X was in standard form..... because it was never built to stay that way ...    :)

And dont forget the shit diff ratios they had and still kicked arse

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users