Photo

Toranas are not Muscle Cars

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#76 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2015 - 08:57 PM

Big engine dose not make sense. The only reason the yank cars had huge engines is that they were huge cars and weigh a lot more than our Aussie muscle cars did. Check the weight of a Buick GS stage 2 compared to a early 327/350 GTS. If a Torana with flairs and Spoiler, bonnet scoop and black outs is not a muscle car neither are most of the yank cars. Half the yank cars didn't have a tacho dose that mean that they are not a muscle car heaps were 3 speed with a bench seat even heaps of 426 Hemi powered cars and we know that they are muscle cars, cheers Aaron.

#77 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:02 PM

Next time anyone is in the states just find some rev heads and ask them which Aussie cars are muscle cars?.
After they ask you where is Australia?. you'll probably get the drift that Aussie cars are not muscle cars and thus' either are Toranas.
We just latched onto the whole thing cause we thought it was cool. .. sort of like the Brady Bunch was.
Reckon "tough" is more what our cars are.
Its easier to get your head around and doesnt have a discrete definition.
My 2cents worth anyway

#78 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:10 PM

The Pope is a Muslim
The grass really is greener on the other side of the fence
In Australia we elect a President.
Fremantle Dockers will win a flag
Jim Richards loved the Bathurst crowd in 1992
The A9X is better than the L34
The movie Driven is better than Rush
Days of Thunder is a true story
BMX Bandits is a true story
Mad Max is a prediction by Nostrodamus
A cow really did fly over the moon
Counting sheep is so much fun
Jimmy Barnes sang a song about white collar workers

The above comments are crap,
Just like saying a Torana isn't a Muscle Car.

#79 wot179

wot179

Green Eggs and Spam

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,784 posts
  • Name:Jesus Bloody Christ
  • Car:Goon

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:26 PM

This subject seems to have polarised opinions.

Dunno what happened there.....

#80 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:29 PM

This subject seems to have polarised opinions.

Dunno what happened there.....

lol, ya shitstirrer.

#81 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 16 December 2015 - 10:30 PM

Don't Americans have Xbox' with forza 6 don't car enthusiasts over there follow drag week? How do we in Australia know about all there cars? That is a problem over here we have all these Aussie Classic going to wast and we are still importing shit Mustang's and Camaro's that have no relevance over here because they saw them on a movie. Yeah I would like any but would I have a 65 Mustang over a Torana NO chance. Yeah there are good early Mustang's but most people buy povo packs and I get feeling that they would rather a GT Falcon or Hard Top but can not find a good one in there price range.

#82 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:02 AM

Big engine dose not make sense. The only reason the yank cars had huge engines is that they were huge cars and weigh a lot more than our Aussie muscle cars did. Check the weight of a Buick GS stage 2 compared to a early 327/350 GTS. If a Torana with flairs and Spoiler, bonnet scoop and black outs is not a muscle car neither are most of the yank cars. Half the yank cars didn't have a tacho dose that mean that they are not a muscle car heaps were 3 speed with a bench seat even heaps of 426 Hemi powered cars and we know that they are muscle cars, cheers Aaron.

There are no Torana 2 doors with flares and spoilers with a decent engine.

#83 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:31 AM

That is a problem over here we have all these Aussie Classic going to waste and we are still importing shit Mustang's and Camaro's that have no relevance over here because they saw them on a movie.

Not true; I know many on the Mustang forum who bought them because Toranas are so expensive, many of them previously owned Toranas too. I own one of each I like both cars. If they all wanted Toranas the demand would make Toranas would be even more expensive. Personally, I like to see variety at car shows, etc.

The only reason the yank cars had huge engines is that they were huge cars and weigh a lot more than our Aussie muscle cars did

Yes they did weigh more and had bigger engines however the car companies noticed there was a demand for more power by rev heads so they put even bigger engines, more carbs and tuned them for performance this was the 'muscle car' era. Petrol was always cheap in the USA until the oil crisis and that made consumers look for smaller cars thus ending that era; you'll notice many of their models went to crap in the mid 70's.

Muscle Car is only a US label; it doesn't mean your car isn't macho. We don't have to copy everything they do; what next, do we start calling petrol 'gas'?

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 17 December 2015 - 06:40 AM.

#84 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:33 AM

I would never sell my Tough Australian Classic for a Yankee Muscle car,

I have thought about it on several occasions ,but always come to my senses !!!

#85 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:38 AM

So this is a Muscle Car...  

Attached File  WP_20151129_12_09_05_Pro (800x264).jpg   213.77K   1 downloads

And this isn't ??? ... 

7827931470_3db26f8a93_z.jpg

Then it must be a matter of definition ..........   :)

#86 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:42 AM

No, the muscle car era was over when that thing came out; the yanks wouldn't consider that muscle either.

s

#87 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 06:55 AM

If you want muscle, go to the gym or date a bodybuilder.

Cars don't have muscles they're made out of steel.

:P

s

#88 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:17 AM

It's just a Term ..  

Muscle car
From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Muscle car is an American term used to refer to a variety of high-performance automobiles.[1] The Merriam-Webster dictionary defines muscle cars as "any of a group of American-made 2-door sports coupes with powerful engines designed for high-performance driving."[2] A large V8 engine is fitted in a 2-door, rear wheel drive, family-style mid-size or full-size car designed for four or more passengers. Sold at an affordable price, muscle cars are intended for street use and occasional drag racing.[3][4][5][6] They are distinct from two-seat sports cars and expensive 2+2 GTs intended for high-speed touring and road racing. Developed to meet specific market requirements, muscle cars also emerged from manufacturers in Australia, South Africa, the United Kingdom, and elsewhere.

Lets play "Spot the Muscle Car" ...........   :dontknow:

#89 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:28 AM

Muscle car is an American term

^ This!!

s

Edited by StephenSLR, 17 December 2015 - 07:28 AM.

#90 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 07:55 AM

Don't Americans have Xbox' with forza 6 don't car enthusiasts over there follow drag week? How do we in Australia know about all there cars? That is a problem over here we have all these Aussie Classic going to wast and we are still importing shit Mustang's and Camaro's that have no relevance over here because they saw them on a movie. Yeah I would like any but would I have a 65 Mustang over a Torana NO chance. Yeah there are good early Mustang's but most people buy povo packs and I get feeling that they would rather a GT Falcon or Hard Top but can not find a good one in there price range.

I'm with Stephen, people pay silly $ for lower spec Toranas. For the money people ask for GTR and SLR you'd buy a factory big block 4spd Camaro or even the pinnacle of Chevy small block performance - a 1970 Z28. I'd have a Monaro over a Camaro any day if they were $ for $, but would I pay $75k for what was originally a 161 3spd Monaro now with a 350 over a big block 1968 Camaro for under $60k. No way. Have a look at the black 1968 Camaro 396 4spd on Ebay at the moment from BILLUSCLASSICS. I have Monaros and love them but the asking price of good ones that were originally something special are just insane, and Toranas are even more silly in some cases in relative terms (like the $ people pay for rusted out hatchbacks). The Camaros i'm talking about are often not regarded as Musclecars in the US either, and are priced accordingly. The big coin is reserved for the best ones like the 427 Camaros and 302 Z28's.

#91 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 08:06 AM

Just a matter of choice I guess, and Torana's of all descriptions aren't at the prices they are at for the fun of it....  There are at there price because of demand ..

And personally, I would not swap a 69 Holden GTS 327, for a Chevrolet Camaro RS 327 .....   but that's just me ..  :)  

#92 _Ozzie Picker_

_Ozzie Picker_
  • Guests

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:10 AM

Frock the Yanks
They need big blocks to pull there big heads around !!!

#93 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 09:42 AM

Just a matter of choice I guess, and Torana's of all descriptions aren't at the prices they are at for the fun of it....  There are at there price because of demand ..

And personally, I would not swap a 69 Holden GTS 327, for a Chevrolet Camaro RS 327 .....   but that's just me ..   :)

I wouldn't either Ian. But if I had a 6cyl GTS or an SLR and someone offered to swap me for a big block SS Camaro in the same condition i'd do it.

#94 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:06 AM

post-30535-0-81366900-1450297900.jpg

That's not a Muscle Car, it's an Ocean Liner. Some people talk about the Commydore being a whale! pfffffffffffffffffft.

Edited by S pack, 17 December 2015 - 10:07 AM.

#95 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:19 AM

attachicon.gifWP_20151129_12_09_05_Pro (800x264).jpg

And this isn't ??? ... 

7827931470_3db26f8a93_z.jpg

Then it must be a matter of definition ..........   :)

Neither look anything like the way the manufacturer built them, and I bet neither has an original driveline. Musclecars are as they left the assembly line or at least as they were sold as new. Anyone can build something aftermarket that would qualify in the US terms.

#96 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:29 AM

It's funny that nobody is complaining that GTR's aren't called 2+2 or referred to as pony cars but go into a tizzy that our small block V8 equipped cars don't fall into the muscle car category. We also don't call our race cars Trans-Am or even bother to transpose it to Trans-Aus for that matter. 

Of course when you say 'Aussie muscle' it's obvious everyone here knows the type of car it refers to but I believe the OP is stating that Toranas aren't 'muscle cars' in the US sense.

s

#97 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:36 AM

And personally, I would not swap a 69 Holden GTS 327, for a Chevrolet Camaro RS 327 .....   but that's just me ..   :)

No it's not just you; many feel the same way and that's exactly why they're commanding such high prices.

s

#98 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:42 AM

Then it becomes an argument about what is Aussie Muscle!

My opinion is anything built as a factory racer between EH S4/S5 through to XA 4V and L34 is, then there is a gap until you hit the GroupA stuff. The stuff in between like the HJ coupe, HX LE and XC Cobra aren't, nor is the homologation cars like A9X and HDT cars.

Just my take on an Aussie Muscle Car but others will disagree naturally.

#99 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 10:48 AM

Then it becomes an argument about what is Aussie Muscle!

Just my take on an Aussie Muscle Car but others will disagree naturally.

There's two terms there; Aussie Muscle and Aussie Muscle Car.

You could colloquially use Aussie Muscle; as the magazines have been doing for years; to describe any Aus. car with a bit of grunt.

s

#100 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,088 posts

Posted 17 December 2015 - 11:11 AM

I suppose. But a HJ ute with a 308 has a bit of grunt and will be faster than the coupe or sedan version with the same driveline, but the ute isn't Muscle, at least I don't think it is? Hard one to nail I guess.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users