244 replies to this topic

#176 Dasman56

Dasman56

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 105 posts

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:13 PM

You missed the point Ian as you so frequently do.
Please compare apples with apples.

The point is wages are not the reason the car industry is going.

The same year Toyota Aust announced they are shutting they made a 200 mill profit.

Magical robots from the jetsons do not build the bloody cars.

People assemble the car, they have qualifications, they have experience, they have a clue.

AND THEY DON'T BLOODY MAKE $45Hr

#177 RallyRed

RallyRed

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,856 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 14 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

waaaaaay offffff topic kids....but hey I'm on board.

Everyone should work for nothing.....except me.

It's a very tired old argument...hear what someone earns, and try and reconcile why get that, versus what someone else gets.

Its a stupid argument..as onlookers never really have the facts as they are, for both sides of the story.

What about those blokes getting $300k working on gas rigs??...bastards, way overpaid!.

In 2013, a good mate's son, fresh out of his apprenticeship, applied for a eleco / techo job on a rig. He was successful.

A large international company with many rigs all around the world, offering seriously generous pay and conditions.

Typically drilling offshore in god knows where. Yep, the offer was $250k U.S tax free. Fly you off the rig to a city of your choosing each swing.

A very mixed international crew on board each rig, so where you flew to was of no concern to them, as someone else was probably from there anyway.

Everyone was saying wow, good on him, but how can that sort of coin, let alone the free biz. class trips home every 12 weeks, be possibly justified.?

It was all bells and whistles for about 18m and he was living high. And also looking to the future. Good kid, good tradie and a fat bank balance.

Then they moved him to the next rig in some shithole country where there were pirates and racial type infights onboard  the rig every second day.

Stabbings were the normal fare apparently.

Suddenly he seriously feared for his life each day, and was so shit scared of getting stabbed in bed or ""slipping over the side one night - accident of course"" that he rang his parents and said he was chucking it in and coming home. 

He did.

Most people only remember, or know, that this kid was pulling $300k....bastard.

This has absolutely nothing to do with the thread title....but hey..........lets not get too serious

#178 kiwi-lilj

kiwi-lilj

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,420 posts
  • Name:Blair
  • Car:LIL J

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:00 PM

Fuk Holden, we can all buy Hyundai Utes soon.

Attached File  image.jpeg   101.92K   0 downloads

I am off to start creating a forum for them now. :)

#179 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 14 January 2016 - 08:01 PM

Extract from Toyota Australia's 2014 Sustainability Report

Announcement of closure

The announcement to stop building cars in Australia by the end of 2017 and transition to a national sales and distribution company was extremely difficult. The decision was not based on any single factor but driven by a range of external influences including the unfavourable Australian dollar making exports unviable, the high costs of manufacturing and low economies of scale for vehicle production and our local supplier base. For these reasons, combined with Australia being one of the most open and fragmented automotive markets in the world and increased competitiveness due to current and future free trade agreements, it was determined it was no longer viable for Toyota to continue building cars in Australia.

#180 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2016 - 05:27 AM

As you can read here....... GM was waiting to see which Government got in.... When Abbott & Hocking were elected,  GM pulled the pin.....

Elizabeth workers vote to accept tougher wage deal as Holden waits on election  

13 August 2013

By MIKE COSTELLO

A CLEAR majority of workers at Holden’s Elizabeth assembly plant in South Australia have voted to accept a tougher new workplace agreement, but the future of the company’s local manufacturing operations remains far from clear.

The factory’s 1700 employees voted in the affirmative today via secret ballot, with the results revealed this afternoon. The result clears a path for Holden to enact a three-year wage freeze, require faster turnaround on overtime shifts and place more restrictions on annual leave.

However, the vote does not guarantee Holden’s long-term future as a local car-maker. The company reiterated its stance this week that it would wait until after the September 7 federal election before making a final decision on its vehicle production future here beyond 2016.

Like fellow US subsidiary Ford Australia, which will pull the pin on its Australian plants by October 2016, GM Holden struggles to justify the cost of building the Commodore and Cruze here, with our low barriers to entry, high wage levels and strong dollar all having adverse effects.

Speaking outside the Holden factory today, South Australia secretary of the Australian Manufacturing Workers Union (AMWU) John Camillo said workers had voted overwhelmingly to accept the tougher deal.

“It was a tough choice. They’ve made the right decision,” he told media, including the ABC, at the site. “The workers here made a clear majority vote to support the next generation of vehicles here in Australia, to make these vehicles here at the Elizabeth operation.

“I thought it was going to be very, very close but these people have made the right choice. It was a very, very strong vote in regards to a positive ‘yes’.

“It’s a hard ask but these changes with regard to working overtime, flexible working arrangements don’t hurt anybody. They’ll get used to that,” he said.

“(With) the decline of the auto industry, there’s not much of a bargaining chip you have and while we sat down and discussed as much as we could, the ball’s not in our court.

“There is a future in the automotive industry if we all work together in getting there. The next tick in the box will be the politicians, whether they’ re prepared to support GMH.”

While Holden said it would produce two models through to 2022 here following a $275 million government injection in March 2012, it now says conditions have changed and will require additional government funding post-election to supplement GM’s own projected $1 billion investment.

The federal opposition has committed to launching a Productivity Commission review into public funding for the Australian car-making industry if it is elected in September’s poll. It has also promised to cut $500 million from the Automotive Transformation Scheme.

Around 400 workers clocked off for the final time at the end of July, part of the latest round of job cuts announced in April this year. All accepted voluntary redundancy: brought about by a GM decision to cut production at Elizabeth from 400 cars per day to 335. 

#181 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:22 AM

I sure feel sorry for those uneducated & selfish piles of shit earning $45/hour to tighten wheel nuts.  (tongue firmly glued to inside of cheek)

This country was built on Manufacturing and these same piles of shit paved the way for the greatness that is now Australia.

Local economies change, structures change, world economies change, policies change....all these things affect the viability of manufacturing locally versus importing.  In 20 years time I have little doubt that we'll look back and ask how the frOck we allowed Manufacturing here to be murdered like it was.  IMHFO, our politicians have collectively failed to have the foresight to recognise this and protect something all decent Australians are/were/should be proud of.

#182 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,856 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 15 January 2016 - 11:04 AM

this is sensible, logical...and true.  ( sadly)

I sure feel sorry for those uneducated & selfish piles of shit earning $45/hour to tighten wheel nuts.  (tongue firmly glued to inside of cheek)

This country was built on Manufacturing and these same piles of shit paved the way for the greatness that is now Australia.

Local economies change, structures change, world economies change, policies change....all these things affect the viability of manufacturing locally versus importing.  In 20 years time I have little doubt that we'll look back and ask how the frOck we allowed Manufacturing here to be murdered like it was.  IMHFO, our politicians have collectively failed to have the foresight to recognise this and protect something all decent Australians are/were/should be proud of.

#183 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:Hatch

Posted 15 January 2016 - 12:55 PM

Ian and Daz, I agree with you guys's 100%. The guy on the production is just doing his job and shouldn't be vilified for earning a living. I hear people complaining what other's earn and how others should take a pay cut; practice what you preach I say, go see your boss tomorrow and ask for a pay cut. Just do it on principle, for the good of the economy and your company...what no taker's? 

The Toyota statement was very clear, it was cost of manufacturing. The $Aus  was trading above parity with the $US when that statement was made, the dollar has dropped by a third since then, effectively making manufacturing much, much cheaper. Holden has previously said 70c was the magic number for it to be viable. It always made me laugh that Tone would go on about stopping the boats and national security. At the same time he and that dumb shit Hockey played chicken with two of the biggest companies in the world, Toyota and GM, and we all lost. It may be all good while we are riding the commodities boom and are earning big $$$ for digging shit out of the ground what happens if the commodity boom ends? We will need an alternative income stream, other employment options for people...what the commodity boom is over, oh fu_k where is that manufacturing sector now? And look there is line of boats queued up because we don't make anything here anymore.

Both parties have fu_cked us over here, Labor were not much better but they did appear to recognize there was a problem with the two speed economy, that the mining boom was damaging other sectors and were prepared to try and do something about it (between backstabbing each other for the right to sit in the big chair). The Libs refused to deal with manufacturing sector, demonising the workers on the line and the foreign multinationals whilst still giving massive subsidies to the mining sector - pay attention the section of the economy that was in the biggest boom in history, the sector that was creating structural changes in the rest of the economy because of the high $Aus were getting subsidies. Ohh and multinationals investing in mining is good so we will bend over for them. Foreign investment in your economy can be very good but it should be targeted to the areas you need to grow or where you don't have sufficient skills, technology or capital to get it running - an example of this would be say car manufacturing which requires large amounts of capital and technology to stay with current developments versus mining where Australia is already incredibly good at it.

The failure was the pollies and Captain's Pick Tone and the bumbling Hockey carry by far the most blame, not the person on the assembly line trying to put a roof over his families head and a meal on the table. 

#184 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 15 January 2016 - 01:02 PM

Mark i totally agree with your statement but the country was already on the down side before Tony and Joe got the reins
remember 7 years of bumbling ALP that didnt help one bit

#185 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:23 PM

I agree Gene I am not defending Labor, I would suggest that both sides, from the second half of Howard, through Krudd/Gillard/KRudd, Tone, were lazy and didn't do enough to ensure Australia had a strong diversified economy. They all got sucked into the mining boom and the the easy politics of a higher dollar. It made TVs and cars cheap and the voter's were happy...but I fear we will have to pay the piper at some point and neither side did a good job for the country or average working, tax paying Australians.

At some point politics moved from managing and reforming the economy - take introduction of GST (Howard) and the Button Plan (Hawke) to piss weak slogans such as 'Kevin 07' and 'stop the boats'. I fear we won't have much to show for this boom aside from high house prices.

OZ131213.jpg

#186 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 15 January 2016 - 02:48 PM

Not the old mining subsidies thing again.

Every time I look into that all I can find is the diesel rebate.

Is there any other so called subsidy to the miners?

Farmers get the diesel subsidy too.

Want to take it off them as well?

#187 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:11 PM

Now now. Steady up. :) The diesel rebate exists for machines that don't contribute to road degradation. Fuel taxes are there to pay for the roads after all. That's why fisherman receive it as well.

#188 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:31 PM

PRetty sure most mines vehicles dont contribute to road degredation, considering generally its all done on site and transported from the mine via rail....

#189 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 January 2016 - 06:51 PM

That's what I was getting at DJ. A few of the smaller mines roadtrain ore (and coal) but I guess they don't get the rebate for the diesel used in them. At least not all of it anyway. I might sneak a bit into the Landcruiser now and then.
Getting back on topic, I think that brand snobbery has a bit to do with it as well. Commodores and Falcons are just bogans cars after all. I am taking the piss here of course. I've been driving them since the 80s. I love them and I am very sad to see them go. (But not Camrys)

Edited by Shiney005, 15 January 2016 - 06:52 PM.

#190 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 15 January 2016 - 07:01 PM

MARkL, Thank you for your post...  great to hear someone speaking on behalf of others ....    There is always gonna a be a bunch of hard done by selfish winging pricks that carry on about someone earning more than them...  just a hint to them..  join the pricks your winging about if you think they have it so good...  

But back to the topic ....  is the glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full....  do we want an Australian Car of some sorts and the manufacturing that goes with it....  or do we let old mate know now that he is wasting his time ... ???   Fuk me, the guy is trying to save the Commodore, and Australian jobs...  you think most people would get behind him and give it one almighty go....  instead of complaining ...

This guy is talking about changes, to what is already a World Class car....  Fuk GM, this guy is a Euro, Imagine 2018 Audi powered 4 wheel drive Commodore Sedans and Wagons .... There's not a lot to compete against in this category....   

I hope he gets the chance to have a go, and I hope Australia from our Government to the rest of us give him at least the same support we gave GM..... and hopefully we can still be one of the few Countries that are skilled enough to make their own fuking car ..............  

#191 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

Not the old mining subsidies thing again.

Every time I look into that all I can find is the diesel rebate.

Is there any other so called subsidy to the miners?

Farmers get the diesel subsidy too.

Want to take it off them as well?

Not really my main point. My point was:

1 - the guy/girl working on the production line isn't responsible economic policy. Other people are paid considerably more than them to make those big decisions and they should be making forward looking decisions that benefit the whole economy.

2 - the government was lazy (both sides). When it should have been concentrating on strengthening the overall economy, managing the two speed effect of the mining boom on the economy by protecting those industries that were being decimated by the temporary high dollar...it failed.

I found this anyhow, grants and subsidies take many forms - yes diesel but also state funded infrastructure (so much for user pays and end of the age of entitlement) but there is no question that they run into billions of dollars...

http://www.tai.org.a...age-entitlement

State%20Subsidies%20Final-EDITED.jpg

MARkL, Thank you for your post...  great to hear someone speaking on behalf of others ....    There is always gonna a be a bunch of hard done by selfish winging pricks that carry on about someone earning more than them...  just a hint to them..  join the pricks your winging about if you think they have it so good...  

But back to the topic ....  is the glass 1/2 empty or 1/2 full....  do we want an Australian Car of some sorts and the manufacturing that goes with it....  or do we let old mate know now that he is wasting his time ... ???   Fuk me, the guy is trying to save the Commodore, and Australian jobs...  you think most people would get behind him and give it one almighty go....  instead of complaining ...

This guy is talking about changes, to what is already a World Class car....  Fuk GM, this guy is a Euro, Imagine 2018 Audi powered 4 wheel drive Commodore Sedans and Wagons .... There's not a lot to compete against in this category....   

I hope he gets the chance to have a go, and I hope Australia from our Government to the rest of us give him at least the same support we gave GM..... and hopefully we can still be one of the few Countries that are skilled enough to make their own fuking car ..............  

Cheers Ian, I just don't like seeing the little guy on the production line being demonised for earning an average wage.

#192 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 15 January 2016 - 10:47 PM

Gee that a lot of coin Mark

#193 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 16 January 2016 - 07:36 AM

And the aussie dollar is now pulling 65 us cents. The commodities boom is well and truly over!

Oh and

http://www.infowars....tinue-to-crash/

#194 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:35 AM

Thats a great poster.

Its what initiated my search into the subsidies.

Their figures correlate to the diesel subsidy so its pretty much invalid.

Nowhere have I said that people are not entitled to earn a decent wage.

My point is that the wage increases for unskilled workers have increased more than the wages of skilled workers.

The CFMEU being the biggest union, and representing more unskilled workers than skilled, initiated this push.

There are some places where the unskilled do earn less than the skilled.

I signed my first EBA type document around 1996.

The labourers on that job took home about 10 bucks less a week than the tradies.

Put an unskilled worker through a short course, and put him in a front end loader and he  earned the same as a tradie.

Part of my point is there is now little incentive for a young bloke to learn a trade.

Whilst there is a union push for increased wages for unskilled workers, the manufacturing industry will continue to decline.

And few companies will consider expanding or opening up manufacturing due to the high cost of unskilled workers.

There will be those here that will argue about the conditions and physical stuff involved in the job.

But when it boils down to it, if the worker improves himself he gets a better job.

Bit like the guy at the bottom of the pit passing buckets of shit up.

He doesnt take shit from anyone but he is still at the bottom.

#195 orangeLJ

orangeLJ

Yes, yes I do post alot!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,259 posts

Posted 16 January 2016 - 09:38 AM

That infographic is pretty...

But id be wary of trusting something that comes from an organisation funded and run by one side of the argument... (I.e. Unions...)

#196 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2016 - 10:48 AM

That infographic is pretty...

But id be wary of trusting something that comes from an organisation funded and run by one side of the argument... (I.e. Unions...)

This. 

Lets see a pretty graph with all the tax money from everyone working in those mines over the same time period? Including tax on fuel used to transport them to the job site, and the stimulous the local economy gets by having the workers there, compared to the subsidies?

#197 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2016 - 11:13 AM

This. 

Lets see a pretty graph with all the tax money from everyone working in those mines over the same time period? Including tax on fuel used to transport them to the job site, and the stimulous the local economy gets by having the workers there, compared to the subsidies?

THIS!

#198 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2016 - 03:38 PM

This. 

Spot on Bomber, and that is why subsidies are awarded...  But i am glad you stopped at what Tax was payed by the worker at those mines...  because the owners of those mines payed no tax back to the Australian people.... And I would be interested to see the final numbers to confirm what you have said, to see who's favor it did come out in?? ..........  But I believe what you have said, could equally be said about the Australian Car Industry... or any other industry for that matter.. so i'm happy to agree....   but this topic is about Commodore after 2017....     and I guess to some degree the $500 million dollars subsidies cut by the change of Government in  September 2013 that brought on it's end...   So I guess we should at least keep the topic on Holden or the Australian Car Industry...                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                           cheers...

#199 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 16 January 2016 - 05:54 PM

For once we fully agree on something, and if you dig way way way back you will see me ranting when Holden first declaired they were closing there doors about the amount of money all the workers and local supplyers including energy providers and the like who may have to lay off staff due to the decreased demand were paying in tax each year, vs what it would cost if half of them went onto welfare....

In my mind it was kinda like the government at the time not wanting to spend 2 million to get 8 million back, vs spending nothing then having to spend a 4 million on welfare...... Numbers pulled out of my ass of course, but ffs if someone said to me "hey lend me $1000 and i'll give you 4k next year, if not it will cost you $500" i'd be all over that shit....

Cheers. 

#200 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2016 - 06:39 AM

16 August 2013 ..    I have copied some of the text from this story ...  It say's to me Holden Worker were not only rated as Loyal and Flexible" but  "hard working" as well ...   which gives me hope Commodore could live after 2017 ??

This is the link to the whole story....  Pretty interesting reading ..   http://www.goauto.co...A257BC700828031

Highlite 1. : Workers at the car-maker’s Adelaide and Port Melbourne plants were asked to vote on an amendment to an enterprise bargaining agreement struck last year, which will help Holden improve its competitiveness and save on the $3750 extra the company says it costs to build cars here compared to other countries overseas. About $2000 of that cost is attributed directly to wages, Holden said.

Highlite 2. : Holden managing director Mike Devereux thanked Holden’s workforce for its loyalty and flexibility.

“Changes like this are never easy and the ‘yes’ vote is a huge commitment from the hard-working men and women of our Holden team,” Mr Devereux said.

“These labour-related cost savings and productivity improvements are crucial to putting our Elizabeth manufacturing facility on a path to global competitiveness.

“Australia is a high-cost country; not just for making cars but for making anything. It was critical that we reduced our costs and delivered flexible and contemporary work arrangements.”

Highlite 3. : “Now it’s up to the politicians, you know… we’ve shown we’re prepared to make changes to keep Holden here so it would be pretty poor if either side said they won’t follow up with proper investment to work with the company to stay,” union leading delegate Heinz Joham said. “How could they risk destroying a community? They have to show leadership.”

Highlite 4. : Korea has a reputation for militant unionism. Workers wielding metal pipes stormed the office of GM Korea’s chief financial officer late last year demanding, among other things, more meal subsidies. They have also organised rolling strikes earlier this year after talks over wage rises hit a roadblock.

I am posting this, because I believe we can build cars as good as any Country in the World....  and that we already have a Workforce prepared to do what it takes to make at least  the Commodore viable to build in this Country.....  But it won't happen without the Subsidies from the Australian Government .....

And as Bomber has continually pointed out, the overall picture has to be looked at...  The Tax Payer Subsidies are big for sure.....  But the loss of Vehicle Manufacturing and the technology that goes with it. As well as the associated Businesses and jobs to go as well, is much bigger.......   :soapbox:     cheers Ian ... 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users