#202 Rockoz

Rockoz

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,970 posts
  • Name:Rob

Posted 17 January 2016 - 01:54 PM

Probably not a scenario that would work with our auto industry, but in the 70s it was said that Swedens biggest export was unemployment.

Apparently the Swedish government subsidised Volvo a significant amount of money each year.

At the time their unemployment rate was close to zero.

The subsidies enabled Volvo to export vehicles, in particular trucks, at landed prices that made them very competitive against the traditional American based trucks.

The Volvos were 15 to 20% cheaper than an American truck of the same rating.

I know a lot of truck owners that went against buying their traditional Mack Kenworth or Ford truck and bought Volvos.

There were a lot of Volvos bought and as a result there was a downturn in sales of the American trucks.

Could we do the same here and subsidise our products with government money to increase exports?

It would be a very brave move for any government to do.

Perhaps we need to go back to import duties and use that money to prop up local manufacturing.

But in reality the public would raise a huge stink over it.

Because the majority of Australians dont support local industry by choice, they support the cheapest price.

Even our government departments choose price over locally made.

Really need to face the fact that for whatever reasons, our manufacturing industry is pretty much dead.

And I doubt it will get any better.

#203 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2016 - 02:37 PM

THats my other major gripe, If we try to export a car to a fta agreed country, they slap it with a heap of taxes that are not "import taxes"

They import vehicles here with nothing slaped on them at all. 

Think Ima start looking for a job in korea....

#204 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 03:09 PM

I think Australians will buy Australian products, if the products are what they want. Some go to the extreme like Bomber dos (and I applaud him for it), others like me buy Australian where we can if the product we want is made here. I don't drive an Aussie car at the moment as what I want isn't built here. If GMH had built a decent SUV you'd find they would sell as this seems to be what the market wants.

#205 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:20 PM

I wouldnt say I go to an extreme, at the end of the day I drive a Japanese car made in korea and still occasionally but stuff from the us...... But yeah, aussie made is the go. 

#206 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:30 PM

I was only going by the stuff you'd posted before about buying from local grocers and hardware stores etc. wherever you can. Both our drive cars are Japanese too, the Lexus is full Japanese but the Hilux is Thai made with the engine and box Japanese. I'd have even bought a Holden dual cab or SUV that was imported if they were any good, but I drove both equivalents at the time, the 3.6L V6 Colorado/Rodeo and the 3.0L V6 Captiva and they were both so awful I was embarrassed to see the Holden badge on them. I tried to talk my Mrs into a Territory (as I wanted the turbo 6 one) but she didn't like it either. So what i'm getting at it there is two sales since 2010 (three if you count the written off 2010 Hilux) that Holden could have had from me alone, but the products either didn't exist or were poor compared to their competition.

#207 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 17 January 2016 - 04:34 PM

The local family operated grocers/butchers/hardware/etc is correct. 

Its not THAT much more expensive and a large amount of what they sell is imprted anyway. 

Did manage to convince the local green grocer to stock local potoato's though, There $1 a kilo more but frOckit, $10 still buys a lot of potoato's. 

#208 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,279 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:24 PM

I drive a Japanese car made in korea 

What Japanese car is made in Korea ?

Dr Terry

#209 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 18 January 2016 - 04:43 PM

He means Thailand I think Terry. The Hilux is essentially 120/150 Landcruiser (Japanese) but assembled in Thailand.

#210 MARKL

MARKL

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 94 posts
  • Name:Mark
  • Car:Hatch

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:10 PM

Could we do the same here and subsidise our products with government money to increase exports?

It would be a very brave move for any government to do.

Perhaps we need to go back to import duties and use that money to prop up local manufacturing.

Most countries subsidise their car manufacturing to some extent due to the positive flow on effects for the rest of the manufacturing sector. And whilst I don't support import duties, the FTA we have seem to be BS - though really if a FTA is any longer than a page it is unlikely to really be a FTA, after all how hard is it to write something along the lines of 'we will trade freely between x & y without restriction on quantity or taxation beyond the equivalent locally made product'?

The other change that happened to the local industry, that doesn't get reported enough is, that in the mid 2000's Government agencies all but stopped buying local cars. In NSW they set fuel efficiency targets for Government fleets (may have been federally mandated?) that you could only meet with small 4 cylinder cars. Government fleets went to small 4 cylinder cars overnight along with a pack of nails in the local industry which had always relied on massive fleet sales.

My wish is that somebody in politics champions local manufacturing and formulates a plan to encourage it. 

#211 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 18 January 2016 - 05:14 PM

He means Thailand I think Terry. The Hilux is essentially 120/150 Landcruiser (Japanese) but assembled in Thailand.

Yes, my bad. 

Must start refraining from posting when im drunk :P

#212 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 19 January 2016 - 07:06 AM

Most countries subsidise their car manufacturing to some extent due to the positive flow on effects for the rest of the manufacturing sector. And whilst I don't support import duties, the FTA we have seem to be BS - though really if a FTA is any longer than a page it is unlikely to really be a FTA, after all how hard is it to write something along the lines of 'we will trade freely between x & y without restriction on quantity or taxation beyond the equivalent locally made product'?

The other change that happened to the local industry, that doesn't get reported enough is, that in the mid 2000's Government agencies all but stopped buying local cars. In NSW they set fuel efficiency targets for Government fleets (may have been federally mandated?) that you could only meet with small 4 cylinder cars. Government fleets went to small 4 cylinder cars overnight along with a pack of nails in the local industry which had always relied on massive fleet sales.

My wish is that somebody in politics champions local manufacturing and formulates a plan to encourage it. 

Totally agree with everything said here ^^^ ......  I am not sure whether the same scourge hit the car industry at the same time it hit everywhere else ......   Now I am going to hypothesize here, but it did happen to the best company I ever worked for..

The scourge I talk of is Accountants....  In the Mining Company I worked for, The Manager managed the company, The worker's did the work, and the accountant's added up how much money the company was making, and we were making plenty..  anything we asked for we got..  we had a 4 day week (11,9 11,9 hour days) and Friday was paid at penalty rates if you worked it, and the company wanted you to work it...  We asked for coffee in our air conditioned crib room, and they gave us a fully stocked automatic machine that made soups, hot chocolate, tea and coffee...  they never skimped on anything, we had fully stocked bolt racks, and you never had to wait for stock or parts to be delivered, we had it all on site..  Our Christmas parties were unbelievable, they would send taxi's to take us to usually one of the nicest motels in Newy, Flowers for the WAGS, even keg of beer & BBQ, if we got a machine out with no oil leaks, (which we did pretty regular) :)  .......      And Then the Accounts for what ever reason became the driving force in the company, Budgets were drawn up, and Profit Margins were targeted..  which meant that everything was tightened up, no longer did we has a fully stocked bolt rack, and everything on site...  We now only ordered enough to do the job (which led to huge amounts of time just standing around..  Then the standing around became a problem, and the whole friendly feeling Management & Workers had, went out the window...  it was no longer the Profitable happy place it was to work... And to boot, Profits dropped, and it took about 10-15 years, but the most profitable Mining Machinery Company in the Newcastle area went out of Business .

But back to car industry :)      The individual company bean counter's can miss the bigger picture (like our company did), And that is exactly what happened as Markl has described within our Government..  Someone focused on fuel costs, and cut their full costs buy the amounts they were after... but they should have been aware of the "Butterfly Effect" .. and the cost it had to the Australian Car Industry.... 

PS ... Bomber, don't be too hard on yourself, (that's the forum's job) :) there is a lot of times you are right on the mark, it's just your delivery sometimes. .  We all have an agenda, or a way of life to defend....  But above all that, everyone of us, also know's what's Right & Wrong,  even if it effects us negatively..  And it starts by buying locally, as Bomber stated...  And I myself will try and follow Bombers lead, and try and buy more Local & and at least Aussie made stuff when I can ...  sorry about the long post ..  cheers Ian :)

#213 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 January 2016 - 08:24 AM

Totally agree with everything said here ^^^ ......  I am not sure whether the same scourge hit the car industry at the same time it hit everywhere else ......   Now I am going to hypothesize here, but it did happen to the best company I ever worked for..
 The scourge I talk of is Accountants....

And it starts by buying locally, as Bomber stated...  And I myself will try and follow Bombers lead, and try and buy more Local & and at least Aussie made stuff when I can ...  sorry about the long post ..  cheers Ian :)

Hear Hear.

The VF Redline was in Motor magazines Performance Car Of The Year, (published this month) and it came 5th out of 11 cars. Pretty good considering that what beat it was a $260,000 Jag, two AMGs, and a Porsche GT3. I wonder how many execs high up the GM food chain have actually driven one of these.

#214 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:21 AM

Hmmmm .......   I know i'm a bogan, but I must be really out of touch .. because I would buy one in a heart beat...   And my opinion on its future value is,   "It is going to be the last of what many bogans (lol),  consider to be pretty nice cars.  Sure VZ/VE Commodores aren't collectors items yet....  but some other undesirable Commodores from a little further back in history, are becoming very expensive as the years roll on" .......      And if your a bogan that can afford that kind of money on a car....  Then cheers to you, because your doing all right.....  frOck the haters ..   :shoot:

But I'm sure many may agree with him...  and he may just be right......  maybe it's the truth and it just hurts ???....   

PS..  I think HSV will "hot up"  Camaro's and Corvette's or the like...  not Barina's or Cruise ..   Anyway, on with the clip ........

#215 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:26 AM

I turned it off at 1 minute, 30 seconds.

People like him are why people like me end up in places like Port Arthur.

#216 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 20 January 2016 - 07:56 AM

I turned it off at 1 minute, 30 seconds.

People like him are why people like me end up in places like Port Arthur.

ha ha .... I was thinking the same thing!...but as it goes on, I think it's a bit clearer he is taking the piss. 

Best way to get exposure for your web car review business is to be controversial.....then you can go to HSV and tell them your web side gets 90000 hits a day and therefore HSV should loan you a car for a week or two.

#217 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2016 - 11:18 AM

God frOck it all.

That video is awful.

#218 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 20 January 2016 - 01:06 PM

That guy above is an absolute dick he wouldn't know shit from clay the tosser
he bags every car on that site just about
if he had his way we would all be driving Kia,s

#219 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2016 - 04:28 PM

LOL....  that's so true Gene.....  Those two brands are getting better know doubt....   but boy, he pushes their barrow ..   :bliss:

I listened to this one this morning too..........  The guy hates Holden for sure...  but some of what he says is right, Holden (GM) didn't offer the right types of Car's and in particular (in my mind anyway) Commercial Vehicles....  We had the biggest resource boom in the Worlds history, and Holden didn't make 4x4's, Van's or Utes that could have serviced this industry.. Instead Toyota got richer doing it....  VW, and Hyundai make every type of vehicle you can think of...  from Micro Car's, to large Vans, and everything in between, even full size Luxury Cars....  so I agree with him, that Holden, or in particular, GM Management, continually got it wrong, and made cars no one really wanted...  and didn't make the Car's, Van's, Utes, 4x4, that people and companies wanted......  :(

Anyway, this is no easier to listen to, as he is a smug prick......  but I guess he calls it as he see's it. (either that, or he is receiving backhanders from Kia & Hyundai ..

#220 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:11 PM

What exactly makes him an auto expert?

#221 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 05:40 PM

What exactly makes him an auto expert?

frOck nose DJ

#222 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:06 PM

Same thing that makes a dude who has been a mechanic for 10 years a "master mechanic" or a 10 year tiler a "master tiler".

Simply perception. Nothing more.

I'm sure we all know very experienced tradies who are frOcking useless. Never mistake experience for quality.

#223 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:09 PM

Lol I've been spray painting for more than 10 years and im definitely not a frOcking master. 

#224 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,120 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:25 PM

What about the other thing you've been doing (compulsively) for years Bomber? Are you good at that?

#225 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,127 posts

Posted 20 January 2016 - 06:29 PM

What about the other thing you've been doing (compulsively) for years Bomber? Are you good at that?

He is the gold medalist at that Byron pmsl

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users