grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts
  • Name:Gary
  • Car:lj xu1

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:35 AM

Thanks Gene, just noticed in your avatar or whatever it says no where near qld, pretty funny, sounds like a little dig at Adam. What's the vf like mate ? Ls3 ? I'd love a black vf ss, camed, 6 speed auto converter, stainless steel exhaust, 20's lowered & tuned of course gary

#102 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:41 AM

Yeah pretty happy with the VF SS it goes pretty good for an LS3

#103 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:46 AM

Dave, have you looked into unshrouding mate ? That's the idea behind doing it with the 72 size xu1 valves, no other reason apart from, efficiency ect. & I'm not meaning that it will be fuel efficient obviously, read what tk has written on some of these things & johno mentions the same. Think i'll just go with star fire rods now mate ! Might linish them myself & then get the engine shop to check them before balance. Wondering how you'd go removing only the casting marks on the red crank, & then get it balanced if it wouldn't upset things to much ? Gary.

#104 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:54 AM

limited technology created bigger valves, but a smaller valve held open longer is the same.

and as for grinding grams of metal off then crank, forget that,

but making a 3.3 crank almost the same weight as a red one is good.

#105 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 12:58 AM

Gene, if it's not been after market tuned it would good, if it has it would go MUCH better, cam, otr, tune mate, if you haven't done it to 1 before you'll be shocked at the difference, probably gain 100 hp in a manual car. You would get around 425+ rwhp in your Ls3 on a fairly conservative tune. Yep that's at the wheels. You will have dramas with rear tyre wear strangely, i think I've maybe got 10,000 klms out of the tyres, skids are fun on the private roads only of course mate

#106 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:01 AM

Yeah i know but i want to keep this stock as a rock all im doing before summer is tint the windows and thats it

#107 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:08 AM

Yes mate, i get the hole big valve small valve thing, that's not what unshrouding is about mate. Have a look on YouTube mate, But i hear what you say & the gossip around these race teams in the 70's making the same amount of hp as what the engine builders of today are with the technology in my opinion is absolute bs. Gary.

Is that so it's cheaper to run around town Gene or for the gmh warranty ? Gary.

#108 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:14 AM

Bit of both Gary its only done 6000 km as its the missus daily for the next 5 years after that who knows

#109 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:15 AM

isn't unshrouding clearance around the valve Gary?

no need in anycase

#110 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:16 AM

What colour Gene, my ss is black on black on black, as in black paint, black 20's "looked much better with the white walls" & black interior, looks good when clean, haven't driven it for about 5 months & in the sealed shed still gets dirty I'm quite partial to the black cars ! Also have some black braid ect for some jobs coming up on it. Gary.

#111 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,602 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:16 AM

casual Extractor man Gene in in too :) 

#112 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:25 AM

Oh okay Gene, now I get it, 1st time i let my missus drive my ss i was a little worried as obviously I could hear her about 10 blocks away & when we were living at the coast, the little suburb had around 14 blocks & it's got 1 of those crap x force systems, i knew every corner she took, but she had a smile on her face & said, yeah doesn't go to bad hey !

#113 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:28 AM

Here it is

Attached Files

#114 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:38 AM

Primarily Dave yes mate, so as I understand it, the idea of the unshrouding is to stop uneven flow of gases past the valves, into & out of the combustion chamber area. So when the unshrouding is extended basically by means of fly cutting the flow efficiency doesn't encounter a square edged obstruction as in by means of the top of the cylinder wall, that's putting it in very simple terms, but suffice to say that there is advantages of doing this in that way, not just the oh poop the valve hits, like what happened 40 years ago, check it out & read some "quality" information on the subject, it's pretty interesting. Gary.

#115 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:50 AM

Nice 1 Gene, actually saw a black sandman vf ute, orange stripes about 2 weeks ago, & up until then i wasn't really keen on them, but it looked pretty good actually. Think it had black 20's hardly anything done to it, but it looked good. I'd be going semi mirror tint on the windows if i was you especially since it's white you could go heaps of mirror. I've got it on my silver cluby, silver needs it i think, it's like 19 or 35 shade which ever 1 is the illegal 1 in qld. Looks heaps better, strangely they say it's not legal, yet it's easier to see out of than the darker legal crap that was on it especially at night & in the rain, & reflects more heat, i wish i could fully tint the front windscreen as well for when you drive towards the sun. Gary.

#116 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:53 AM

Just getting 35 % side windows and 20 % back window

Had 8% on one of my cars that was way to dark couldnt see shit at night time

#117 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 01:57 AM

Gene, i think the tint is called quantum by memory if you want to see what it looks like, I'd like it on the ss, but the tinting guy isn't real keen on it on black cars unless it was like 25 or something like that, my missus has it on the black mazda with gold 19's looks classy & cool shh ! I didn't just say that. Gary.

#118 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:00 AM

Yeah just going for standard black tint on the white looks better imho

#119 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:08 AM

No stuff it mate, go 19 all round, they try talking you into that legal 35 crap, it's 2 windows mate, it's all good. Have you thought about some sandman stripes on it seems you're a sandman man ? Just had a lol moment remembering the sandman of triple j if you remember him ? I'd probably have to loose 3" out of the spring height if it was mine. Had a friend drop over about 1 year ago in his vy ss saying, this things just to low I need to raise it, I said that's not low you could drive that anywhere showed him my ss got an eye roll like, how can you drive that thing ? Smooth driveway bud & constantly scanning the road. Yours still looks good at that height though, but some look like 4x4's

#120 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:19 AM

Yeah i might get some 20 inch simmons later but not sure atm im trying to save money for my Sandman resto

#121 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:21 AM

I'd happily part with my ss & cluby for a vf ss black sedan chrome,not the black series, just to much black for me,if the funds were available. Sadly they certainly are not atm. & imagine like a Ls3 colarado tow car, that'd be nice. Although my friend had a auto Colorado he sold last Christmas as a tow car & the auto had some issues was like a 5 year old sort of jigga, yet my sister has a auto Colorado, towed her van with it, don't think they've ever had a problem with it. Though my brother in law is a diesel mechanic, & is very particular about what he uses in it & the other vehicles at his work ! Gary.

#122 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:27 AM

Heck yeah mate, the 20" fr1's are reasonably priced around 2k with tyres, white center's polished outer's would look good on that was trying to get them for the mazda, but major drama went 19" advanti or something with polished outer's 19 x 8.5's I think, they look good & big

#123 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:28 AM

Yeah luck of the draw with new cars today i got 5 year warranty with mine they had a deal goin at the time extra 2 years at no extra cost

#124 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,128 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:33 AM

Got the extra alloy wheel as a spare and a space saver wheel to
happy days 2 spares

#125 grumpy xu1

grumpy xu1

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,810 posts

Posted 04 September 2016 - 02:47 AM

Have to tell you Gene, regarding oil in it, if you can afford it, pick the liquimoly Special tec ll 5 - 30 part # 1193 is 5 litre & 1194 is a 20 litre, & run genuine filters, Holden will use this oil if you supply it, it would be much better than their oil. By memory the 5 litre is about $80 mazda uses the same oil. Just my opinion, but once you start using there products you will keep buying them. Auto barn & super cheap are about the only places that get it in though unfortunately, unless you have a imparts over there. Gary.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users