Photo

New Torque Power 308 Block

308 400 355 327 443 350 348 409 366 396

• Please log in to reply
53 replies to this topic

Poll: LITTLE PAW (15 member(s) have cast votes)

Would you get the 'Little Paw'

1. Voted Yes (8 votes [42.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

2. Voted No (2 votes [10.53%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.53%

3. Undecided (1 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

4. Wait for comments (1 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

5. Voted Only if cheaper than $4000 (3 votes [15.79%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 15.79%

6. Prefer the 'Big Paw' (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

7. Prefer to get the C.O.M.E alloy block (2 votes [10.53%] - View)

8. Voted $6000 + GST is OK (2 votes [10.53%] - View)

is there an advantage having this block

1. Voted Yes (10 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Voted No (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

3. Undecided (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.00%

4. Wait for comments (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

5. Voted Interchangeable Holden parts (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

6. Voted Higher compression (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

7. Voted Off-set lifters (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

8. High port head available (0 votes [0.00%])

9. No overhead camshaft (0 votes [0.00%])

10. Voted Raised cam not APSA legal (1 votes [5.00%] - View)

11. Voted Scatt crank available (2 votes [10.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 10.00%

Would this block look the same as the GMH 308

1. Voted Yes (8 votes [53.33%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 53.33%

2. Voted No (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

3. Voted Undecided (3 votes [20.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 20.00%

4. Wait for comments (1 votes [6.67%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 6.67%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 18 March 2016 - 03:48 PM

Just another example here is the LSX454 620hp long motor from eagle autos in australia for $17950

http://www.ebay.com....3-/141602634563

Or if thats not enough to roll the eyeball in Geelong from Spencers a new LSX440 with 1200hp for $23950

http://www.ebay.com....G-/252239760044

Point being any way you look at it the holden simply cant match what these yankee motors offer.

Cameron

#27 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 12:28 AM

20k chev, sump to carby, 700hp 9000rpm ex nascar.
Some are cheaper, some are more depending on spec you want and if it has had a freshen up or has km's on it.
Have seen a chev for 32k was freah built motor, roller cammed, built by hendricks motor sport, just needed power, fuel hook up and oil tank. You cannot build an engine locally to do what this motor can do for that price, not possible.
Friend just bought a ford nascar motor complete with all dry sump parts, 15k.
My holden owes me more than 2 of these motors, and cant do what these can.

My opinion is MOST aftermarket cranks for holden v8's are crap, the ONLY cranks to use if you want it to last and make power is crankshaft rebuilders, either there forged steel or billet, everything else is too heavy or cant handle anything more than some passes at the strip.

An LS motor comes from factory with everything we try to do to our old school chev and holdens.
From the factory they have light crank, light rods, light valve train, in most cases you dont change crank rods or pistons unless your very serious about power due to you make everything heavier.
A heavier rotating mass is bad, takes more effort to swing, creates more load, which means dont rev or windows appear in the block.
LS motors are so easy to fit and reliable, if you dont have an engine to start with and not contsrained by race class rules, its a no brainer to me, as mentioned easy to rego, have experienced this first hand.

#28 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 01:47 AM

ozyozyozy you are dead right I don't race my holden, but regardless of what I was able to spend it simply couldn't compare to an LS build both for cost, power and reliability. I was scared of the LS engines and convinced myself that I could match them by stroking a holden and adding all latest hot up bits and spending a fortune on parts. I wished I didn't because most of my friends have LS engines in much heavier cars and leave me for dead.

My mates LS3 is now pushing 500rwhp and he got out of it cheaper than what I spent. It really is just a matter of time before i will have to change over as I can't see the value in trying to make the holden do the impossible without spending ludicrous amounts of money. Now in saying that the TP effort to try to give life to the holden engine is to be given credit. However it probably had more relevance and success if it was available 20yrs ago.

Even the LS series has been superseded by the new more powerful direct inj LT series which have been out a few years in the corvette and now camaro, cadillac. For hot-ups or engine builds the old holden will never compare. Chris who is doing the LSX454 with 620hp said in his thread he only paid $12k for the engine and is still under $20k for turn-key install. Try doing that with a holden engine, so unless your a badge driven holden fanboy with buckets of spare cash it makes no sense to pay double or triple for less.

My best mate peter williams just rebuilt his std 308 (because its a numbers 308/4speed ss torrie) it had to remain dead stock due to the fact its the original engine. They replaced everything they could with genuine parts down to the water pump. His final bill was over $9k. Holden engines are crazy prices

Cameron

Edited by cameron, 19 March 2016 - 01:57 AM.

#29 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 19 March 2016 - 04:24 AM

20k chev, sump to carby, 700hp 9000rpm ex nascar.
Some are cheaper, some are more depending on spec you want and if it has had a freshen up or has km's on it.
Have seen a chev for 32k was freah built motor, roller cammed, built by hendricks motor sport, just needed power, fuel hook up and oil tank. You cannot build an engine locally to do what this motor can do for that price, not possible.
Friend just bought a ford nascar motor complete with all dry sump parts, 15k.
My holden owes me more than 2 of these motors, and cant do what these can.

My opinion is MOST aftermarket cranks for holden v8's are crap, the ONLY cranks to use if you want it to last and make power is crankshaft rebuilders, either there forged steel or billet, everything else is too heavy or cant handle anything more than some passes at the strip.

An LS motor comes from factory with everything we try to do to our old school chev and holdens.
From the factory they have light crank, light rods, light valve train, in most cases you dont change crank rods or pistons unless your very serious about power due to you make everything heavier.
A heavier rotating mass is bad, takes more effort to swing, creates more load, which means dont rev or windows appear in the block.
LS motors are so easy to fit and reliable, if you dont have an engine to start with and not contsrained by race class rules, its a no brainer to me, as mentioned easy to rego, have experienced this first hand.

#30 Shiney005

Shiney005

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 19 March 2016 - 08:53 AM

You are all comparing apples with oranges anyway. A 1960s 308 Vs a 376 cube motor designed with components from beyond the millenium.
I will be using the 308 for a long time yet because I just love 'em, and I don't need more than 500 horsepower.

#31 _dno_

_dno_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:49 AM

I remember reading somewhere a few years back, that the yanks were importing the 308 for use in some class of motorsport they have over there, so I don't think the TP 308 development is or was solely aimed at an Australian market.

#32 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 19 March 2016 - 05:41 PM

Its a bit backwards comparing a 454 ls to a 355 Holden.....

If your chasing street rego in any car this forum is dedicated to, the 355 you have a chance, the 454 you dont....

#33 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 22 March 2016 - 11:38 PM

You are all comparing apples with oranges anyway. A 1960s 308 Vs a 376 cube motor designed with components from beyond the millenium.
I will be using the 308 for a long time yet because I just love 'em, and I don't need more than 500 horsepower.

Shiney005 obviously the LS engines are in another millennium. Being captain obvious they very well should be considering even the revised Holden engine was shut down nearly two decades ago.. The basic LS design has only been around for about 20yrs old vs around 45yrs for the original siamesed port holden (vn engine design is much younger).

But neither that or engine size has anything to do with what I was saying. I was talking about value, cost $$$$, weight, reliability and options and unless your made of money or its a numbers car then choosing to modify a holden engine makes no sense when you can buy something that's far cheaper and vastly superior. Obviously that's why Holden also dropped it 16yrs ago in the commodore and used the superior LS engines.

Cameron

#34 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 23 March 2016 - 08:13 AM

On you tube and Street Machine there is an LS 457 normally aspirated cranking out 1100 plus horse power, normally you would need turbo's or blower to get that. Its not an insane build either, it just shows the new technology is so far ahead of the the old motors if your chasing power. And who doesn't need 500 horsepower! bare minimum.

#35 rexy

rexy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,602 posts
  • Name:Rexy
  • Car:Kia grand carnival!!!

Posted 23 March 2016 - 02:55 PM

How soon we forget.
In a level playing field against all comers the humble plastic was king of horsepower heroes at Summernats in the forced induction class. Over 1500 hp at the tyres on pump fuel and limited to 15 pounds boost. Not a chev to be seen within cooee.

#36 _ljshawn_

_ljshawn_
  • Guests

Posted 23 March 2016 - 07:27 PM

The rules and ncop dont allow a ls engine in a lj so if i want to have a high hp 8 i need these kind of developments. Although it wont be legal

#37 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 24 March 2016 - 07:49 PM

Yes the holden was and still is king at summernats hp, others as far as im aware are still yet to better it in competition.
He did hurt parts on a regular basis, was def not without its issues.
Im a fan of holden too, have spent ALOT of money on mine getting reliable performance, i dont just do those short passes down the strip.
BUT i know i can get better performance and reliability from other makes, these are also not legal for my form of racing.
So i welcome what torque power is doing, instead of walking away from it, they tackled it head on.

#38 antelopeslr5000

antelopeslr5000

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,022 posts
  • Car:1977 LX SL/R 5000

Posted 11 July 2016 - 11:01 AM

The Little Paw Block seems like a well thought out design, a good alternative to the C.O.M.E. Racing Alloy Block. Doesn't seem as though you can purchase a C.O.M.E. Racing Alloy Block even if you are willing to cough up the $12,000 for one. A good friend of mine has been on a mission for 3 years to purchase an alloy block from C.O.M.E. They prefer to do the alloy engines in batches to reduce their costs as that profit margin isn't there for them to manufacture just one block at at time (even at $12K a pop ???). So he has been waiting for others to place an order but no luck thus far.

Plus I've heard that the company that does (or did) the CNC work for the C.O.M.E. alloy block are no longer interested in doing so. 

#39 _parsons5000_

_parsons5000_
  • Guests

Posted 11 July 2016 - 01:25 PM

Haha funny this thread got brought back to life . I actually was on the phone to craig Bennett great bloke . I'm heading down there this week to check out the block . 25 -30 k to build one with really got parts billet scat crank etc .

#40 _ryan350_

_ryan350_
  • Guests

Posted 12 July 2016 - 09:31 PM

Dont expect it too be a quick visit , man Craig can talk your ears off lol! Like said very nice bloke though!!! Oxyo you seen the red vk wagon , (pretty sure fastest holden 355 in Australia still . Running pro Comp crank and 2 bolt mains !!)
As for the ls debate it's all good to say it's cheaper to buy a lsa motor but can it be used legally ?

#41 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 13 July 2016 - 12:53 PM

The rules and ncop dont allow a ls engine in a lj so if i want to have a high hp 8 i need these kind of developments. Although it wont be legal

They built a factory 5.3L LS engine which can pass depending on what engineer you talk to.

#42 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 13 July 2016 - 08:18 PM

Ryan if you are going to question how legal it is, a big horsepower "Holden" engine would be illegal also. You can only put in so much horsepower over stock before needing an engineers certificate. 20% before you need to do other upgrades, then after that an engineers certificate is required.

#43 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 13 July 2016 - 11:07 PM

The Little Paw Block seems like a well thought out design, a good alternative to the C.O.M.E. Racing Alloy Block. Doesn't seem as though you can purchase a C.O.M.E. Racing Alloy Block even if you are willing to cough up the $12,000 for one. A good friend of mine has been on a mission for 3 years to purchase an alloy block from C.O.M.E. They prefer to do the alloy engines in batches to reduce their costs as that profit margin isn't there for them to manufacture just one block at at time (even at $12K a pop ???). So he has been waiting for others to place an order but no luck thus far.

Plus I've heard that the company that does (or did) the CNC work for the C.O.M.E. alloy block are no longer interested in doing so. 

I did hear that Torque Power where going to do a run of Alloy Little Paw engines.

Cameron

#44 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 15 July 2016 - 01:58 PM

The next phase of the Torque-Power block project, Aluminuim little paw block. First proto type getting machined now.

12122892_967665776625930_879019625578731

I also see on Torque Powers Face book page that one of the Little Paws on the dyno went 780hp @ 7800 and 571ft lb @ 5900

1910392_1010544998981148_116385469814462

Cameron

#45 _imj411_

_imj411_
  • Guests

Posted 15 July 2016 - 09:04 PM

780 NA?

#46 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:13 PM

One of there little paws is headed to NZ, it may actually be that one in the pic, as the belt drive looks familiar.
Will be in a NZ muscle last i heard.

780 is achieveable, just depends how much money you want to spend

#47 lakeside

lakeside

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,703 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC SBC

Posted 16 July 2016 - 08:54 PM

780 is achieveable, just depends how much money you want to spend

i would think that engine wouldn't see much change from 100K?

#48 ozyozyozy

ozyozyozy

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 945 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:15 PM

All about cubes and rpm.

Cars are measures in cubic dollars, how fast you want to go depends on how much you want to spend😊

#49 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:35 PM

Yes N/A carby. It is going into a NZ based hatch owned/raced by Clarke Hopkins

cast iron little paw block, comp ratio is 13.5 to 1 , tp230 cnc'd ported heads, tp sheet metal rocker covers, tp pro paw intake manifold, t&d shaft mount rocker setup, tp 55mm billet cam technology, roller cam bearings, 5 stage Barnes dry sump pump, tp adjustable cam timing belt drive setup, Braswell carby, assembled and dyno tuned by torque power and micron machining

I spoke to Craig last week and he said a new N /A 460cube big paw he is building with his new 260cc hiport heads will be 1150hp @ around 7800rpm. That is 2.5hp per cube which is very impressive.

Cameron

#50 N/A-PWR

N/A-PWR

CABIN ENGINE CONTROLS GALORE

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,599 posts
  • Name:Dave I
  • Car:'1969' LC RAT TORANA

Posted 16 July 2016 - 10:42 PM

Excellent Figures here. :)

Like Button's for youse's.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: 308, 400, 355, 327, 443, 350, 348, 409, 366, 396

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users