Photo

Guess what Australia's biggest selling car is.

• Please log in to reply
158 replies to this topic

#126 _Lightyear_

_Lightyear_
  • Guests

Posted 29 May 2016 - 07:06 AM

I test drove the manual SS/V, it is very hard to drive smoothly. When you change gear it's hard to engage without the car jerking. I thought it might be something you get used to and get better at it. But talking to a guy that had one for a few months, he said it is impossible to shift smoothly no matter how hard you try. Buying the wagon (auto only) made my decision easy.

#127 yel327

yel327

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 29 May 2016 - 08:46 AM

please...never refer to US  as a reference....Ive been there on 5 occassions, and they are mostly., unaware that there is a world outside of their own borders.

Their news is totally US-centric.  They know of little outside world.........it really is suprising.  
You are waiting for the punch line....but they arent joking.

I can recall being in a burger place ( not sure of the name, but not /maccas, as they are pretty small over there)...and joking with the sales chick that we were from Australia, and were pretty hungry as it was a 14 hour drive ......she just said Ok.!!!...what do you want to order........NFI.

I'm seriously considering a last SSV or HSV and the auto vs manual  question is a real  issue.....week day drive a 6 speed is a pain....weekend drive a manual is a hoot.....BUT...surely a V8 should be a manual????

Go drive an auto on Col, and your mind will be made up. I always bought manuals until my CV8 came up at a price I couldn't ignore (it was auto). Even as only a 4L60E it was better to drive in all ways than my VY SS ute. I'd never buy a manual one again unless it was a fun car for track days etc.

#128 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 29 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

Go drive an auto on Col, and your mind will be made up. I always bought manuals until my CV8 came up at a price I couldn't ignore (it was auto). Even as only a 4L60E it was better to drive in all ways than my VY SS ute. I'd never buy a manual one again unless it was a fun car for track days etc.

Yeah...I tend to agree Byron,.....I'll have a go at a manual in the next few months.

My auto VE 6ltr is nice...but they always feel heaps toey-er in a manual I reckon.

Re the track days....I think they are just too big and heavy as road cars, even in hSV form....

#129 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
  • Name:Laurie
  • Car:Toyota Mirai
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:06 PM

Fastest Aussie Car Motor Magazine has ever tested.

http://www.motormag....01b485e13a51b67

#130 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 05 July 2016 - 07:50 PM

Fastest Aussie Car Motor Magazine has ever tested.
http://www.motormag....01b485e13a51b67

Bet ya a six pack the XR6 turbo pips the best of HSV before its all over ?

#131 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 05 July 2016 - 10:14 PM

Beer or Bourbon?

#132 cameron

cameron

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 371 posts
  • Name:Cameron
  • Car:LX SS Hatchback

Posted 06 July 2016 - 12:01 AM

The GTS is very fast standard but modified with a couple of hundred extra horsepower they are simply the most brilliant Australia car ever built.

Cameron

#133 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:11 AM

Bet ya a six pack the XR6 turbo pips the best of HSV before its all over ?

I will get in on this one, six pack of beer down that ford builds a balls out xr6-t right at the end.

#134 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 02:45 PM

Hmmm..   I think the XR6 Turbo is at about 320 kw ..   I think they are gonna struggle getting anywhere near 467 kw of the GTS ...  :)

or this will do right now ..... 

Edited by ChaosWeaver, 06 July 2016 - 02:55 PM.

#135 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 03:06 PM

They have been making a lot more than that in the aftermarket for a long while now, if ford wanted to they could do it easilly.

#136 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 06:37 PM

Yeah I know what you mean.....  but these come with Factory Warranty ....  I bet the Fords don't...    :driving:

#137 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:02 PM

Beer or Bourbon?

I drink rum. I'll buy you bourbon if ya win ;)

#138 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:22 PM

C'mon you's are kidding right .... not for the fact that this is a Holden Forum and yous are talking up Fords...  But seriously, The latest and greatest Fords fall way short of the new Commodore..  and there is more to come ..  Ford would have to build a 2 door coupe again to blow my dress up ........  :)

Oh, and don't count the Tesla in this ..or the Supercar...  Its about the Commodore ...

#139 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:41 PM

Quiet a few first gen XR6-T's with a bit of a tickle over that would make that commy look like its standing still. 

Again, Ford has the engineering ability and the basic platform to do it. With a factory warranty. Whether they do or not, I dunno, but I have a sixer on it and if I worked there I would be pushing for it haha. 

#140 _Skapinad_

_Skapinad_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:44 PM

Code name it the XR6 500T

#141 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 06 July 2016 - 07:58 PM

I know what you mean.. we've all seen the ridiculous horsepower the JZ2 puts out...  but if would be a brave factory to warranty back such a high stressed motor..

Enter the LS9 Engine ...  :)    http://www.lingenfel...PE19201990.html

#142 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 06 July 2016 - 10:16 PM

I'll buy Skap a carton of Bundy and Bomber a carton of whatever cats piss he drinks if the XR6T comes within 50 kilowasps of the GTS. I'll take a carton of Jim beam cans from both if they don't!  :deal:

#143 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2016 - 08:02 AM

#144 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 10:30 AM

^^Mixed bag hey? Not really a fair comparison either, the Fords are awful close performance wise to a tweaked essentially aftermarket vehicle (a HSV) that comes with the associated huge cost penalty - HSV are a different class of vehicle in terms of appointments (suspension, brakes, trim etc). They should be compared against a Holden (SSV) not a HSV as a fairer comparison on price, appointments and build quality. Bang for buck I still say the XR6T wins hands down. What would be good to see is the same thing but with SSV, XR6T and XR8 head to head.

#145 Shiney005

Shiney005

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,061 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2016 - 02:58 PM

I'll buy Skap a carton of Bundy and Bomber a carton of whatever cats piss he drinks if the XR6T comes within 50 kilowasps of the GTS. I'll take a carton of Jim beam cans from both if they don't! :deal:

Well that was closer than I thought possible!!!! Glad I didn't say XR8!

Edited by Shiney005, 21 July 2016 - 02:58 PM.

#146 myss427

myss427

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,636 posts
  • Car:427 hatch, CV8 Monaro, Ve SSV ute. Was part owner A9X sedan until he sold it without telling me!
Garage View Garage

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:34 PM

Don't both the new Fords come with that over boost function? could explain the extra horsepower?

#147 yel327

yel327

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,121 posts

Posted 21 July 2016 - 03:59 PM

The XR6T Sprint has the same 320kW engine tune as the prior FPV vehicle (Typhoon?). The stock Ford XR6T has 270kW.

How nice would it be if Ford would pull their proverbial out and put this engine or the V8 in the Ranger rather than the overstressed 5cyl smoke belching piece of junk they have now.

#148 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2016 - 05:38 PM

Don't both the new Fords come with that over boost function? could explain the extra horsepower?

Yes they do, but you can only use it for about 15 seconds apparently ...   

#149 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,858 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:25 PM

I'm toying with the idea of buying a VF Holden SSV ute before the schedule closes late this year or early next year. 

Have you checked out those ""SS Black"" utes they are peddling at the mo.?...sort of 1/2way between a SS and a SSV, with some Redline possibities?

#150 _ChaosWeaver_

_ChaosWeaver_
  • Guests

Posted 21 July 2016 - 06:40 PM

These guys love this Holden SS ...........

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users