Strathfield Car Audio Convertible LC/LJ

Strathfield Convertible

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#1 _Gundawindy_

_Gundawindy_
  • Guests

Posted 14 April 2016 - 09:58 PM

I hope I've put this in the right section. I'm looking for any information anyone might have about a convertible LJ with LC front and interior that Strathfield Car Audio used to own. I'm just starting to rebuild it and am trying to decide on a direction to head. If I can get enough information I might restore it back to its Strathfield hey day.

I bought it from Strathfield Car Audio in Cannington, WA nearly 20 years ago in the condition it is still in today. Originally I assumed it was just an S model, after all, who would cut the roof off a GTR. Just recently I found through Holden Historical Services that it is actually an ex NSW Police GTR.

Considering the condition, I'd say it must have been at least 5 or 10 years since the conversion before I bought it. That would mean that it was done at least 25 to 30 years ago or more.

Further to this, I always remember Strathfield Car Audio's motto being "Drive in and Jive away." This car has stickers on it saying "The Right Choice!" Does anyone at least remember Strathfield using "The Right Choice!" as their motto?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

Attached File  20140704_151059.jpg   121.3K   3 downloadsAttached File  20140704_151211.jpg   108.28K   1 downloadsAttached File  20160304_223140.jpg   83.37K   0 downloadsAttached File  20160304_223216.jpg   59.12K   2 downloadsAttached File  20160304_223307.jpg   233.79K   1 downloads

#2 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts
  • Name:Gene
  • Car:77 HZ Sandman Van

Posted 14 April 2016 - 10:06 PM

Never seen that before in my life but interesting

#3 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 14 April 2016 - 11:36 PM

Yep first I've heard of it too but looks legit.

#4 GMH-01X

GMH-01X

Drive Fast Take Chances

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,135 posts
  • Name:Aaron
  • Car:1977 Hatchback

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:22 AM

It would look so much better as a Ex NSW Police GTR - a lot of work but if I had the choice ex cop car is way cooler.

#5 hanra

hanra

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,832 posts
  • Name:Brad
  • Car:1975 LH SL/R 5000, 1967 Morris Cooper S, E36 BMW, Toyota Corolla, Isuzu DMax

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:25 AM

^ + 1. Or at least put a roof on it and paint it its original colour.

#6 RallyRed

RallyRed

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,841 posts
  • Name:Col
  • Car:LC GTR etc

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:28 AM

an interesting piece of history there.....resto it back to its Strathfield days, .....geez they did some wacky stuff back then ( to cars as well) lol

#7 _Gundawindy_

_Gundawindy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 10:20 AM

an interesting piece of history there.....resto it back to its Strathfield days, .....geez they did some wacky stuff back then ( to cars as well) lol

I'm definitely tempted but I don't know enough info. That's what I'm asking for. Pictures at least, so I know where I'm going with it.

It would look so much better as a Ex NSW Police GTR - a lot of work but if I had the choice ex cop car is way cooler.

Way too much work for me, not to mention the expense. It's not much more than a rolling shell so a proper resto back to original police spec would probably cost $100K+. Considering I bought it for $100 to make a bush basher, I think that is a bit out of my league.

^ + 1. Or at least put a roof on it and paint it its original colour.

Everyone's got a roof. I only bought it way back then because it has no roof. I reckon it'll look killer when done. I found a photoshopped image online, this is the look I'll be going for, except probably in Cyan Metallic (original colour was Patina Gold).

#8 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 15 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

the Strathfield shop wasn't in Cannington for very long was it ? i only remember the silver VL they had in vicpark .

#9 _Gundawindy_

_Gundawindy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 12:50 PM

​I can't work out how to post the photoshopped image and the forum wont let me read the post on how to post pictures for some reason.

the Strathfield shop wasn't in Cannington for very long was it ? i only remember the silver VL they had in vicpark .

I don't think the Torana was ever on display in that store. I suspect it came from a store over east and the guys were meant to refurbish it but got sick of pushing it in and out of the store.

#10 UCSLE

UCSLE

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 702 posts
  • Name:troy
  • Car:Goggomobil

Posted 15 April 2016 - 03:33 PM

sorry remembered the wrong store i was thinking alberts.

#11 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
  • Name:Adam
  • Car:LJ 4 door, LC GTR
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:22 PM

If it were mine and it has the tags and matching chassis # I would be putting a roof back on it. Restore it as the GTR it is, you dont have to spend the extra to get it back to its police spec days. If you are restoring it anyway your obviously going to have to spend quite a bit. Pay a little more for a roof. They dont look right as convertables, each to their own though of course...

#12 _Gundawindy_

_Gundawindy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 04:48 PM

It only has the ADR Compliance tag. The other 2 tags belong to the LC donor that the nose cone and radiator support were taken from. Also, I'm not really restoring it. I'm rebuilding it. So I can make improvements and choose cheaper more reliable options. It's going to have an Ecotec V6, transmission and cut down diff from a VS Commodore. I want it to look like an XU-1 from a distance but I'll gladly substitute the rare, hard to find parts with something else that's easier to source, including reproduction parts instead of restoring all genuine parts.

I think it will look fantastic with the roof off. If I could upload a bloody picture in the comments I would post a pic that might change your mind. If you mean with the soft top up, I kind of agree. a convertible with a good looking soft top is a very rare thing. I might not even make a roof, and if I do I will plan on using it only in an emergency if I get caught out in the weather.

#13 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2016 - 05:15 PM

Ha ha, fair enough mate. Shame about the missing tags....

#14 _Gundawindy_

_Gundawindy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:08 PM

Oh, I have to use the Reply to thread to post a picture, the quick reply doesn't allow it.

Anyway, this is what the finished product should look like but I'm thinking I'll do it Cyan Metallic. This is a photoshopped picture I found on the internet a while ago.

Attached Files

#15 I'm a Red Motor fiend

I'm a Red Motor fiend

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 758 posts
Garage View Garage

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:27 PM

Ok, that doesnt look half bad.

#16 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 06:41 PM

It looks terrible, but as above, each to there own. 

Do you intend to get this registered? How will you go about engineering it?

#17 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 07:04 PM

Torana with no roof
terrible but knock your socks off

#18 _Gundawindy_

_Gundawindy_
  • Guests

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:51 PM

Bomber, yes it will be licensed. I want it to be a daily driver, weather permitting. I've put the application for modification into licensing through an engineer and it's been approved in principle. So hopefully there should be no dramas getting it licensed when it's finished.

#19 Ice

Ice

Cool

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,123 posts

Posted 15 April 2016 - 08:55 PM

Cyan metallic will look pretty good

#20 Redzone

Redzone

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:Mini torana's - Gemini coupe 10.787@123mph, log booked Group A DOHC Gemini under resto..

Posted 16 April 2016 - 10:55 AM

You realise that pic has the windscreen frame chopped too.

#21 _Gundawindy_

_Gundawindy_
  • Guests

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:43 AM

You realise that pic has the windscreen frame chopped too.

Looks like this? I haven't actually measured to see if the window is chopped but I don't think it is.

Attached Files

#22 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 16 April 2016 - 01:25 PM

Originally I assumed it was just an S model, after all, who would cut the roof off a GTR.

20 years ago Toranas were nothing special and reasonably cheap. GTR's and SL/R's were a few grand and reasonably well below XU-1, 5000, L34 or A9X status. In the 80's people would get 5000's, ditch the engine, driveline & interior and kit them up for drag racing or give them the Pro-Street look; even back then I would shudder as you can achieve the same with an S-model.

s

#23 xu2308

xu2308

Grail Hunter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,704 posts
  • Name:AL
  • Car:SMP LJ GTR V8 Prototype-Confirmed By HHS and Ex GMH XW7 Engineers

Posted 16 April 2016 - 11:43 PM

I looked through a lot of 1980's Street Machine Magazines and did not find any Ad's for Strathfield Car Audio or your Car in the magazine's, at the end of the Day your Car is still a Ex Police Car but roofless. so you could still put the Police Driving Lights on the front bumper etc and there other things they had.  Someone must remember the car connected to the Audio Shop etc and know its History etc.

Edited by xu2308, 16 April 2016 - 11:44 PM.

#24 _Gundawindy_

_Gundawindy_
  • Guests

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:40 AM

If i can get info about its Strathfield days I'll consider restoring it to that. Otherwise it'll be like the photoshopped pic. XU-1 replica but missing the roof and Cyan Metallic. I'm definitely not interested in any of its police history.
Thanks for looking. I'm still hopeful someone knows something.
Cheers.

#25 S pack

S pack

Scrivet Counter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 15,541 posts
  • Name:Dave
  • Car:73 LJ

Posted 17 April 2016 - 12:41 AM

Strathfield Car Radios Pty Ltd lodged a trademark application for 'The Right Choice' on the 10/02/1992.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users