Volvo brake conversion

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 10:34 AM

Hi guys, finally ive finished the brakes side of things. And all up it cost me $260!!!! Heres what i used:

Volvo 4spot girling calipers and disks straight from the wreckers - $100

Adapter plates - made from 16mm mild steel, cut out and surface ground by Knox Steel Profiles - $70

Needed 4 hose ends changed to torana style and 2 T-piece blocks - $40

Wheels bearings - $50
We didnt even bother rebuilding the calipers or even changing the pads because they were in such good condition!!! The pads looked brand new and same with the disks! I'll leave you guys to have a think about what hubs we used, hehe. But this way we didnt have to muck around with changing the stubs left to right etc, i still have full lock-to-lock steering, the track has not changed all, and no cutting or grinding of the calipers or suspension arms! The wheels still sit in the exact same position, and best of all, they work terrific!!! No need to worry about the old solid disks over heating, and the car now drives and brakes straight, and the steering wheel doesnt shake (use to only slightly) when braking. Heres some pics

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Interested to hear what the brake experts around here think, and anyone else's comments

#2 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 12:37 PM

That would make for a good Tech article sticky to help us all bypass the trial and error.
R

#3 knoath

knoath

far.... FAR

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,036 posts

Posted 04 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

What a great job!
Well done.
Some more detailed pics and a step by step would be great!
I spose any brake shop could fabricate the twin line ?

#4 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 05:25 PM

I am also guessing it will only clear 14" wheels.
R

#5 _timbotorrie_

_timbotorrie_
  • Guests

Posted 04 August 2006 - 08:23 PM

i would be very interested in the volvo model these dics/calipers they came off and spill the beans about the hub!!!!

give us some pictures of the adapter and everything!!!

they look a treat!

#6 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 02:59 AM

ive been thinking about this conversion for a while now. I have a set of calipers waiting at a mates place but am still planning on how to go about setting everything up. So did you use the same stub axles? and just used an adapter? do the volvo discs fit onto the torana stubs?

cheers

#7 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 05 August 2006 - 03:07 AM

very interested to see the pickup pionts for the adaptor plate.

#8 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 08:09 PM

from what i can see they look like lc/lj stubs, and the adaptor plate bolts to the upper calliper hole, the lower one is now vacant. the caliper sits on the other side....can't really figure much more out...

#9 _brett_32i_

_brett_32i_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:01 PM

my memory fails me... are the volvo calliper alloy?

#10 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 09:35 PM

cast iron i THINK. not sure eather.

#11 laspy

laspy

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 349 posts

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:26 PM

more info please NVMYLH!!!

#12 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2006 - 10:32 PM

Hey, calipers are cast iron. We actually use the standard lh-lx stub axles, drilled out the threaded hole in the steering arm, and bolted it all from the inside to the plates. Used the stock upper caliper hole, and the 2 holes for the steering arm, and just made the plate go around to the other side. The hubs are actually the old lh-lx disks. We cut the solid disk off with the 9" grinder, and cleaned them up the right size in a lathe. We checked that all 3 holes on the stubs were level, and only needed some slight grinding to the plate and stub between the top mounting bolt and top caliper bolt holes. The stub axle bulges out a bit there, so i ground a relief into the plate, only needed like 3mm. The plate is still probably a bit too heavy, could have lightened them a bit maybe. We turned a bit off the face of the hubs (where the wheel bolts to) to bring the disk into the centre of the calipers, and this sat the wheels in the same spot as before. Theres cast in gussets behind the wheel mounting face under those lugs where the old disk sat, so theres still plenty of metal around there. I think 14" wheels are what these brakes were originally under, and they came off a 240 model.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 _82911_

_82911_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2006 - 10:49 PM

proving there is more than 1 way to skin a cat!!!
One ? for you though??/
What are you using to locate the disc rotor? Just the wheel studs or is it a tight fit on the centre spigot?
Here's my effort, on the XU-1...

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

Cheers Greg..

Edited by 82911, 07 August 2006 - 10:53 PM.

#14 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:08 AM

We're actually using the outside of the hub. But when/if we get our own lathe dad wants to machine up some new hubs out of billet steel, and use the centre of the hub to locate the disk. We're still using the smaller torana studs, but i also put in those 2 small bolts that the volvo hub uses that hold the disk there (they might have just been for assembly purposes or something).

#15 dattoman

dattoman

Do I feel lucky? Well, do ya, punk?

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts
  • Name:Neil
  • Car:LX SS , 76 Cadillac , 3 x dattos

Posted 08 August 2006 - 11:44 AM

Something like this maybe ?
Don't work off the measurements though this was to fit VT discs to a the Negus A9X with a Harrop caliper

Posted Image
Posted Image
Posted Image

#16 _NVMYLH_

_NVMYLH_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2006 - 01:53 PM

1 question i as actually still wondering was what master cylinder/brake booster you guys would recommend? Considering that my car is about to be turbo charged, should i stick with the standard 1" master and standard booster, or will i need to get a double diaphram booster when the new engine goes in?

#17 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 08 August 2006 - 09:13 PM

Standard master and booster are more than adequate to work those brakes
You could fit the double bubble booster if you prefer a lighter pedal feel.
Whether the brakes are adequate for your performance improvements is a different story altogether.

#18 _slr6000_

_slr6000_
  • Guests

Posted 18 August 2006 - 09:48 AM

Iv been looking at this conversion and was wondering if the torana hubs could be machined down the same way to suit the au2 disk and caliper type upgrade.
Anyone looked at this before ?

#19 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 03:47 PM

Why did you cut the rotors off with an angle grinder?..Dont they just undo like the LC/J ones from the hub?
R

#20 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 05:01 PM

Why not just buy some hubs to fit the Torry stub axle and suit the Ford discs? They are available.

#21 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 06:07 PM

Pls explain Chop? Do you mean to slip into the Volvo calipers or what?
R

Edited by rorym, 28 October 2006 - 06:15 PM.

#22 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:04 PM

The VR on Commodores use a front hub and the disc slides over it. These hubs are available to suit pre VR Commodores. Some places sell them to suit other discs. Hoppers Stoppers get them from somewhere...

#23 dattoman

dattoman

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,473 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

Hoppers have them CNC'd up by a local machinist

However this has nothing to do with Volvo calipers

#24 _xuidave_

_xuidave_
  • Guests

Posted 28 October 2006 - 11:14 PM

Why machine off the disk on the rotor ? When you could use the hub assembly from a drum front LH & still get the same effect !!? :huh: D.

#25 _CHOPPER_

_CHOPPER_
  • Guests

Posted 29 October 2006 - 12:52 PM

Why not just buy some hubs to fit the Torry stub axle and suit the Ford discs? They are available.

I was replying to this.

Edited by CHOPPER, 29 October 2006 - 12:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users