World Globe Caps

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 10:47 AM

Can some one tell me what the Globe caps with the picture of the world came off of.I was led to believe that any sprintmaster after 10/72 :<_<:

#2 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 12:53 PM

Smily,

Dont know the answer to your question but l have an old plastic set of these that came with my old 9/72 XU-1 that had self locating Spinties. Assumed they were just aftermarket crap, being plastic they probably are.

Cheers

#3 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:30 PM

As far as I'm aware, the 'globe logo' metal cap was a generic cap that Globe mags used, ie not just for the Torana mags. It's very similar to the 'blank' metal cap that was fitted to the 'Holden supplied' Sprintmasters.

They were replaced by the plastic cap that Mondie is talking about for the later Sprintmaster mags, but I'm not sure when.

#4 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 01:32 PM

Hi Guys.

Only the Holden-supplied Sprintmasters had the plain chromed cap. If you went to your local tyre guy & purchased them as 'Globe' Sprintmasters (i.e. aftermarket) then they came with the 'world map' type centre cap.

Dr Terry.

#5 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 03:04 PM

I have a complete set of the original (metal) Globe centre caps with map of world in black and word GLOBE in yellow across the cap. As Dr Terry says they came from Globe if purchased from Globe but later available from Holden as the plain chromed centre cap.

My Globe caps have 33 yrs of dents/scratches on them so I have the chrome caps on at the moment. I am waiting on a set of the replica Globe caps(metal not plastic) to be painted from Brad on E-bay...they are supposed to be of very high standard. Look out E-bay if I decide to sell the original Globe caps!!!!

scooter :spoton:

#6 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:12 PM

So Darryn after reading that then the set on your car must be worth a fortune !!!

#7 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:18 PM

So either can be fitted,
Just that I had a guy on the week-end tell me that the World Caps weren`t right so I need to get the facts right before I can argue the point with him.
Are you going on the 2nd&3rd Scooter?

#8 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 04:21 PM

I was typing the same time as you were Luke!But your right
I should put the ones on the car now away and get a standard set for driving around with.

#9 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:47 PM

Hi Darren,

Yes I'm coming to the Nats....I'm bringing my son & son in law as my pit crew (LOL)...really looking forward to it..staying 3 nights. May even be staying where you are??? I'm booked in at the same place Errol Pearce is and a few Queenslanders he is travelling with?

Look forward to meeting you.

scooter :spoton:

#10 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 05:48 PM

correct me if Im wrong but the world caps are NOT a holden part but a globe part so your XU1 should just have the chrome plated plain center cap on your dealer fitted sprintmasters
cheers
GTR-XU1

#11 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 06:15 PM

Brads world caps are of a very high quality that any of us would be glad to have.Price is high, but you get what you pay for..
Cheers..Phil :spoton:

#12 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 07:48 PM

correct me if Im wrong but the world caps are NOT a holden part but a globe part so your XU1 should just have the chrome plated plain center cap on your dealer fitted sprintmasters
cheers
GTR-XU1

correct :spoton:

#13 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:08 PM

Scooter we will be staying at the same place, Errol is in the same band of pirates as me.

#14 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:17 PM

cheers
GTR-XU1

So then WHY are the ones I have so sort after and the standard ones "Dime a Dozen"It becoming the same as the fuel caps they are supposed to be black yet everyone goes for the chrome one.Personal preference is all it comes down to then

#15 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:22 PM

Smiley
Sell the world globes on ebay and fit the correct ones to your car
so sought after i wouldnt give you $20 for the world centers but yeah spose people like them cause there rare or do they think there genuine XU1.
i remember buying sprintmaster chrome center caps from Holden in white boxes with the blue GM part sticker on the box
:spoton:

Edited by gtr-xu1, 09 August 2006 - 08:25 PM.

#16 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:25 PM

Not likely

#17 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

repros are $100 spose thats why there dime a dozen. how ever repros are also stainless so to me there not correct either.
Genuine ones are chrome.

#18 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 08:32 PM

I might grab a set before I go down south just incase I loose 1 on the trip.

#19 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:15 PM

i know of 2 people with the steel world centre caps on there 73 bathurst cars and
one of the guys said these were on the car from new , not factory but dealer fitted , ok they probably came from globe with the wheels when supplied to the dealer .....

these were also on my 73 bathurst car with the original sprinties although they are dented and chrome was stuffed , i,ve since had them repaired and rechromed.

work that out !!!!!!

#20 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2006 - 09:40 PM

I`ll also be keeping mine 830 ,mainly because they are different and I like the look of them and thats what it comes down to personal preference.They are a period item so they can be either so I`ll leave them on

#21 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 08:37 AM

Hi Guys.

The caps with the world map on them are NOT correct if originality is the criteria.

The plain caps are originally the only ones fitted by Holden. I wasn't aware that the originals are 'a dime a dozen', maybe cheap replicas are.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying do not fit the World map type caps, I like that look myself, it's just not original for 'concourse judging' purposes.

Dr Terry.

#22 WhiteA9XS

WhiteA9XS

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,646 posts
  • Name:Shaun
  • Car:LJ LX
Garage View Garage

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:26 AM

but weren,t all the sprint master wheels dealer fitted and not factory fitted ???

if this is the case it comes down to what ever globe supplied ..

#23 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 11:37 AM

but weren,t all the sprint master wheels dealer fitted and not factory fitted ???
Thats what I`ve always been led to believe 830

#24 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 01:22 PM

Hi Guys.

This is a very 'Grey' area. The wheels were supplied by GM-H as a genuine parts, but weren't actually fitted on the assembly line. Many were fitted a the storage yard at the factory, or at the transport depot, some were fitted by the dealer on arrival of the car at the dealership. AFAIK they did not have a PO (production option) number, which they would have if they were truly factory-fitted. Their cost was included in the invoice from GM-H to the dealer, not added by the dealer to the price of the car at the time of sale. It had to be done this way, because GM-H had to provide CAMS with documentary proof that a minimum of 200 cars were fitted with these wheels. They were popular at the time, so any prospective Torana buyer could have had the dealer fit a set for to his new car, for him. The dealer would then buy a set in thru the spare parts dept or thru their local tyre guy. The ones bought thru the spares dept would have had the plain
(genuine) cap, whereas the same wheels bought from the tyre dealer down the road would have had the world map type caps.

Dr Terry.

#25 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 04:49 PM

Thankyou for clearing it up Dr Terry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users