• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#26 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 05:36 PM

This is a very 'Grey' area.

Thankyou for clearing it up Dr Terry

How do you work out Jamie that it is any clearer now than it has ever been???
Neither have a part number embossed on them so that then makes either set the right ones for a set of sprinty`s :<_<:

#27 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

Technical + Numbers Guru + Moderator

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:07 PM

Hi smiley.

You said "Neither have a part number embossed on them so that then makes either set the right ones for a set of sprinty`s "

I didn't say that they didn't have a part number, I said that they didn't have a PO (production option) number. Numbers like L20, M40, P06 etc these are PO numbers. A GM-H part no. looks like 7412345.

The whole point of this post is that the world map cap are NOT strictly correct for Spintmaster alloys on a '72 Bathurst LJ XU-1.

Dr Terry.

#28 goxu1

goxu1

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 690 posts
  • Name:Paul
  • Car:4/73 Cyan Metallic GTR XU-1

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:23 PM

Sounds like your practising for the XU-1 nationals Dr Terry ?

#29 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2006 - 06:38 PM

The whole point of this post is that the world map cap are NOT strictly correct for Spintmaster alloys on a '72 Bathurst LJ XU-1.
Thats great but I don`t own a 72 Bathurst I own a 4/73

#30 GTRXU1

GTRXU1

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 353 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 08:49 PM

Hi Simley,

I am in the same boat as you, I have a 4/73 bris car and have world caps on my sprints which came with the car from new?? Whats the deal then...were they available on both bris and ad built cars in 73??

#31 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:22 PM

whos simley?

:tease:

#32 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:34 PM

Hi Guys.

I should reword that then.

The Sprintmasters were only fitted, as a mandatory item, to the 200 or so '72 Bathurst XU-1s, so GM-H could race with then under CAMS rules. The Sprintmaster wheels with the plain cap are a genuine GM-H part (with GM-H part numbers) & a dealer could then buy then in thru the spare parts dept & fit them as a genuine 'Nasco' accessory to any 6 cyl LJ after the initial 200 cars.

If you have the Sprintmasters with 'world map' caps, on the car from new, they were not supplied thru GM-H to the dealer, they were supplied by the local tyre shop who was a 'Globe' dealer to the GM-H dealer, as these are retailed by that shop as 'Globe' brand alloys not genuine GM-H parts.

If you have a 4/73 LJ with Sprintmasters that have world map caps, they did not come thru the GM-H parts network.

They were a popular aftermarket accessory at that time.

Dr Terry

#33 torry nut

torry nut

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,468 posts

Posted 23 August 2006 - 09:46 PM

If thats the case Dr Terry !!!

I wouldn't give the bloke on ebay $5 for a repo set let alone his asking price of $250!

#34 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 23 August 2006 - 10:05 PM

The Sprintmasters were only fitted, as a mandatory item, to the 200 or so '72 Bathurst XU-1s, so GM-H could race with then under CAMS rules.

Dr Terry,

Thats interesting, l have heard many conflicting opinions on this over the years. So all 72 Bathurst XU-1's should have self locating Sprintmasters ex factory and all other cars including 73 Bathursts had steelies?

Cheers

#35 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:55 AM

Hi Mondie.

You can't use the word 'all' or 'every' when dealing with homologation specials like Bathurst XU-1s. I'm not sure of the exact total number of these cars that were actually produced, but GM-H only had to provide paperwork to CAMS to prove that at least 200 cars were fitted with those wheels, before sale. So, most likely there were more that 200 cars fitted with those wheels, but how many more.

But, the fact is that these were the only cars that were 'required' to be sold with those wheels.

AFAIK all XU-1s were assembled at the factory with 5.5" steel wheels.

Dr Terry.

#36 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:38 AM

Dr Terry,

So if all cars were fitted with 5.5" steelies from the factory but 200 cars were sold with Sprintmasters does that add weight to the claim in Fiv's book that all 72 Bathursts were made in Adelaide and shipped to Dandenong for finishing off including fitting of Sprintmasters?

Cheers Simon

#37 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 12:12 PM

anton fivs bathurst 72 car if you have a look at his build sheet was fitted with nibless
rims

#38 Dr Terry

Dr Terry

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,276 posts

Posted 24 August 2006 - 02:35 PM

Hi Guys.

doublin gtr's comment illustrates why this is such a 'grey' area.

AFAIK all LJ XU-1s were fitted at the factory with 5.5" nibless steel rims & ALL their build sheets should reflect this. The Sprintmasters do not have a PO (production option) number because they weren't fitted in production. But they were fitted before they reached the selling dealers yard. They were fitted in the storage/transport yard at the factory or in some cases at the transport company's holding yard. I have heard of instances where the cars arrived at the dealers & had the Sprintmasters fitted by them using wheels supplied with the car, but this would be a very fiddly way of doing things & equally difficult to verify. Remember they (GM-H) had to make sure that 200 sets of Sprintmasters were fitted before Bathurst (& Sandown ??) that year. The steel wheels removed would've been returned to the factory & then fitted to normal production XU-1s on the line, to contain costs.

Having said all of this, the main point of this whole post is, would a '73 XU-1 with Sprintmasters be judged as being correct (or not) for concourse. In my opinion Sprintmasters (with the correct casting etc) are 100% OK on ANY LJ XU-1.

Have I opened another can of worms, or finally answered the question.

Dr Terry.

#39 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 04:58 PM

Makes sense to me. ALL cars left with steelies, the 72 Bathursts got Sprintmasters either at the dealer or in Dandenong before delivery. So Dr terry, were 72 Bathursts all made in Adelaide or Brisbane too?

Cheers

Edited by Mondie, 24 August 2006 - 04:58 PM.

#40 _pipjones_

_pipjones_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 08:29 PM

You guys have to much time on your hands if you can talk this much crap for 3 pages on whether world caps should or shouldnt be on a 72 car..God help all of us...... :ZZZ:

#41 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 10:30 PM

this is VERY serious crap :tease:

#42 _Tangey_

_Tangey_
  • Guests

Posted 24 August 2006 - 11:27 PM

Dr Terry is correct, my 73 Bathurst has factory fitted sprint masters with PLAIN
CHROME caps. If the dealer went to the local wheel & tyre supplier they fitted which
ever caps they had. The plain chrome ones are a GMH part. To add more to this discussion the nuts supplied with the factory fitted wheels are 3/4 inch with a semi
rounded head, the dealer fitted are 13/16 with a step & small taper or bevel on the end. Glad to be able to throw a few more worms in to the can. Looking foward to
seeing you guys at the nationals.

#43 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 12:29 AM

Dr Terry is correct, my 73 Bathurst has factory fitted sprint masters with PLAIN
CHROME caps. If the dealer went to the local wheel & tyre supplier they fitted which
ever caps they had. The plain chrome ones are a GMH part. To add more to this discussion the nuts supplied with the factory fitted wheels are 3/4 inch with a semi
rounded head, the dealer fitted are 13/16 with a step & small taper or bevel on the end. Glad to be able to throw a few more worms in to the can. Looking foward to
seeing you guys at the nationals.

100% correct and yes the repo nuts that are for sale on ebay are the
tire dealer nuts not the correct gmh ones :spoton:

#44 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 09:43 AM

Tangey
You must have the only XU1 with factory fitted Globe Sprintmasters

#45 _Tangey_

_Tangey_
  • Guests

Posted 25 August 2006 - 11:46 PM

No there are a few getting around.
Don't get too carried away with all these type of issues.
There are lots of grey areas & queries about what GMH did
with our cars in the good old days, but it all adds to the mystique.
I find it an interesting journey, we are constantly learning new things
about our cars and should enjoy it. God went to a lot of trouble
to give man the ability to build TORANAS & we should repay him
by enjoying them to as much as we can. I have been lucky enough
to own an XU1 for 26 years, even luckier now a few of them & a NC car.
Enjoy your cars.
Enough philosophy for one night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users