Torana smell.

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#1 _71LCGTR_

_71LCGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 07:49 PM

I was fixing my sons bike today in the shed, and he mentioned to me the Toranas have there own distinct smell ,i said to him "well what do they smell like" and he said ,old car.but the Torana"smell" seems to be different to any other old car ,the FJ Holden definately has a different smell again.It must have been the paints or the vinyl in the seats that make them smell the way they do.Aside from that i,ve had about five Toranas all up and every one has had the petrol smell also ,anyone else had this? :)

#2 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 08:48 PM

it's amazing how old vinyl, foam and glue can still give off odours even after 30 odd years. Leaking fuel from cracked filler necks and sender unit seals an all too common problem with LC/LJ's.
grant

#3 barny_lx

barny_lx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 599 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 09:46 PM

mine smells like metpol because i used it on the seats and tyres!

#4 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:38 PM

My std tank has the weeping Grant talks of, I try not to smoke in it .Lol! Hoping to replace it with an XU1 tank and not the alloy one I have which isnt period.
R

#5 Racehatch

Racehatch

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 10 December 2005 - 10:40 PM

Yeah you guys are right, I reckon every torana i have ever sat in smell's familiar, even if its not mine..haha

#6 _gm3300_

_gm3300_
  • Guests

Posted 10 December 2005 - 11:11 PM

one thing we shouldn't forget,especially if the car has its original interior, is the lingering memory of the previous owners, dogs, sick kids, smokers, sweat, and everything else that the car was exposed to. But then again that's part of it's history no matter how unplesant :D

#7 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 08:43 AM

Mine stills smells the same after 12 years,it still smells like vinyl except for the time I did 5minute burnout on a mates farm,then it smelled like melted rubber for 3 days while cleaning it.My first lx had that petrol smell though.

#8 Heath

Heath

I like cars.

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 18,317 posts
  • Name:Heath
  • Car:Heavily Modified UC Sunbird Hatchback
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 December 2005 - 09:58 AM

I reckon they smell exactly the same as HQs and stuff but they definately smell different to other companie's cars and stuff. I think 70's Holdens all smell the same? unless you completely redo the interior.

#9 MRLXSS

MRLXSS

The Render Garage

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 12,396 posts
  • Name:Matt
  • Car:355 LX Hatchback, DeLorean DMC-12, LX SS Hatch, VY Cross8 Crewman

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:13 AM

They Smell a bit of oil, petrol and vinyl! must be the rust holes that allow the smell of the engine to come through! i like the smell haha!

#10 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 11 December 2005 - 01:21 PM

Just went out to smell mine AND
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> It smells like it needs a good tub
>
>
>
>
>
>
> BUGGA ! That's me, :o Kitchen reno's do that to ya

Regards....................Barry. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Actually it smell just like old vinyl when sitting in the shed. Out on the road is different, you know........oil, exhaust fumes.

#11 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 04:28 PM

well my current car smells like burnt wiring every now and then i get a whiff of it, damn speaker wire earthed in the boot :angry:

I miss the smell of my first LJ, dunno, just something about it :)

#12 gtrboyy

gtrboyy

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,142 posts

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:12 PM

My parent's toranas always smelt like fish-oil as thats the first thing the old man did to them lol.

#13 _[BOTTLEDUP]_

_[BOTTLEDUP]_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 05:22 PM

I remember the smell of the old man's HG Belmont, 'vinyl-y' smell but I've never had another car that is anything like it.

The XD smells like a mixture of Vanillaroma magic tree, avgas and burnout rubber.

#14 _Bomber Watson_

_Bomber Watson_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:13 PM

when i first put the torana on the road it smelt like brand new car. thats cause it had new carpet, seats, door trims, roof lining, ect. within a week it smellt like petrol and new car. ah well.

#15 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 10:28 PM

When i picked my LJ up it had that old car smell... i guess cause it was pretty much untouched. I think the smell has since gone however.

I wish an air freshen company would make an old car smell fragrence... i would gladly use it in my car :P None of this plasticy smell new cars have, but the smell of vyinal and paint full of lead. :lol:

Steve

#16 _71LCGTR_

_71LCGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 11 December 2005 - 11:52 PM

My mother had a UC SL/E Sunbird with a lovely velour interior she purchased it new ,anyway one fine day she thought of taking my dear old nanna out for a drive .My nanna was old and after driving around for awhile nanna needed to go for a crap ,so mum urgently drove around looking for a toilet mum was getting desperate and so was nanna .All of a sudden mum noticed a horrible smell and nanna had done the inevitable,yes folks she had followed through on mums nice velour seats ,shit everywhere .Poor nanna she was so embarrased.Months later mum needed to back the SL/E out of a hard to negotiate driveway and my brother inlaw decided he would do it for her ,he backed it out alright but forgot to close the drivers side door ,it hit a fence post pushing it into the front guard and bending it backwards.So it was a trip to the panel beaters .The panel beater phoned my mother and informed her the the car had been repaired and on picking the car up the panel beater explained that there was an unpleasant smell in the car ,yes it was nannas crap folks ,and you know what? we could NEVER get that smell out ,even years later when poor old nanna had passed away .RIP nanna.

#17 ToRunYa

ToRunYa

No Longer A Contributing Ninja/Member.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,073 posts
  • Name:Em

Posted 12 December 2005 - 08:23 AM

mine smells like a mixture of cigarette's, vanilla trees (ive never taken them out when i replace them so i have a whole forest of them under the dash) and the millewa as i forgot to wind the windows up after the last dust storm :(
the hubby's suby smells like brut because he left a can on the back seat while he was at work and it exploded, twas funny him coming up the driveway with all windows down his head hanging out and the hatch open, he'd driven 2 k's from work like it.

#18 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:22 AM

Yup Torries seem to have their own smell.

At the moment seems to smell a bit like burning oil. Best get off my fat hairy ass and change that tappet cover gasket!!!

#19 _mike_nofx_

_mike_nofx_
  • Guests

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:18 PM

Mine smells pretty strong of Flash Lube, I keep 2 bottles in the glove box, and cheap vinyl.

#20 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 12 December 2005 - 06:05 PM

I agree with whoever said they smell the same as HQs...

thats the thing i noticed about the Quie and my old torry... and even the SLR!

Infact... i do remeber thinking when i got in teh SLR to drive home from melbourne..

"How familar is this! Ive missed this!"

hehehe :)

#21 StephenSLR

StephenSLR

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,707 posts
  • Name:Stephen
  • Car:1976 LX SL/R

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:52 AM

it's amazing how old vinyl, foam and glue can still give off odours even after 30 odd years.

That is the plasticisers leaving the plastics, you may notice the film on your windscreen interior after days in the sun, etc.

After the plasticisers go the plastic becomes brittle and cracks easy, plastic comes from oils so it will always have a smell I guess.

A friend walked into an Auto shop in a mall in the 80's and asked for some car air freshener that smelled like 'GTS dash' the guy gave him a little yellow bottle of 'AutoCologne' and he smelled it and said yep that's the stuff.

Anyone remember that smell?

s

#22 surfmaster

surfmaster

Marineboy

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,019 posts

Posted 13 December 2005 - 06:21 PM

you know what? we could NEVER get that smell out ,even years later when poor old nanna had passed away .RIP nanna.

Please tell us you took nanna out of the car when she passed away :unsure:

#23 _71LCGTR_

_71LCGTR_
  • Guests

Posted 13 December 2005 - 09:28 PM

She didn,t pass away in the car luckily,she died peacefully in a nursing home.but it must have got into the seats somehow.We even had the seats cleaned by detailers but was never quite the same after that.I reckon the best old car smell has to be the Morris 1000 or any old Austin before resto cant beat it.

#24 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,963 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 13 December 2005 - 11:23 PM

dragic

"Smells like burnt wiring" don't tell me you won the eBay auction on that tin of genuine "Lucas burnt wiring smoke"

Lucas didn't have a very good reputation with their product.

Regards.....................Barry.

#25 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 14 December 2005 - 01:33 PM

A friend walked into an Auto shop in a mall in the 80's and asked for some car air freshener that smelled like 'GTS dash' the guy gave him a little yellow bottle of 'AutoCologne' and he smelled it and said yep that's the stuff.

Anyone remember that smell?

You can still buy it. Still have a bottle in the Torrie and one in the wife's Commie. Yellow bottle, with red writing.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users