gtr & gtr xu-1 nationals

• Please log in to reply
80 replies to this topic

#51 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:23 PM

God, Thank Christ someone got the drift!!...Shaun!! GOLD STAR!!...Middle of the forehead!! Wear it with pride!!.
:clap:
R

#52 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

Yella,
A more PROFOUND statement will never utter from your lips, me thinks! :spoton:
I have watched this stuff from afar for a while...I also saw at Symmons Plains...a certain front running Holden car written off on Friday...then a similiar car purchased off a spectator for a very good price....all running gear swapped Friday night and that car run Sat and Sun...that car now sits in a certain collection professing to be the original...help me out here!!..Saw the same thing happen at Adelaide to a well known FORD driver...they are not original...understand it...digest it and get over it!! Most parts were replaced 10 times at least and the bodies at least once.
R
I am talking 73 on, the period I was a witness.

Edited by rorym, 06 September 2006 - 11:32 PM.

#53 _Yella SLuR_

_Yella SLuR_
  • Guests

Posted 06 September 2006 - 11:29 PM

Happens occaisionally :P

Still can't beat Dangerous's effort today though, or is it Dangerii?

Edited by Yella SLuR, 06 September 2006 - 11:29 PM.

#54 _LGN347/24C_

_LGN347/24C_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:03 AM

i have all the original vic rego papers from gmh s.p.l salmon st, pt melb, 7/9/72 till 04/1975 when car sold to brewster and maddern, kyabram, ect ect till 1982. eng no still matches ,which was verified as genuine by xu1 club nsw. 2815843 /2/c/3 head lots of mods ,still has panhard brackets on diff running 3.08 long bolt, fine spline,longer than normal trailing arms ,front end modified to recess sway bar into rear legs of k/frame ,extra reinforcing.still has 899 cluster box dated 72, even still has safety wire on drain plugs box and diff!!on top of that i have contacted ALL previous owners,nothing has been changed except for normal wear/tear items,car recently sat for many years in shed after being restored in 1989,body has all the marks of race car, bonnet pin holes,cage holes,race mirror,most have been filled when restored/sold off.any thing else??? cheers daz

#55 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:30 AM

cheers daz
congats on the win and the car you must be rapped i would be
you have a peice of racing history there enjoy it.
are you going to put it in its war paint i would :spoton:
regards
antony

#56 _TJ253_

_TJ253_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:48 AM

Well i recon it was a top day and wanna thank the organisers for a top effort and everyone that bought there cars out. I was speaking 2 the lovley ladie that was racing colind bonds l34 that he won the 74 manchamp and she was saying they dont know where brocks 1 is anyway well done thats the best car show i recon there is Keep up the good work and next year bring more lh/lx there was so many lc/ljs lol and damn i hard a rodger when those race cars where going around lol
cheers todd

#57 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:31 PM

Daz no need to convince anyone on this site, people who know you and have seen the car in question know it's the real deal. :spoton:

In all walks of life there are those who like to try and cut down the tall poppy, to them i say :finger:

"Cheers"
2600s

#58 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 12:56 PM

I wasnt having a go a Daz,..simply saying that there are a lot of race cars that are nowhere near as original as they are made out ,agreeing with Yella statement.. As for my pic ^^ that thing has had one serious hit..its bent like a banana through the roof. I understood that it was reshelled in 73....dont know about 72...it actually wasnt that bad in 72...just the roof was cactus where the ford towtruck driver stuck the chain through to lift it. But if H says thats the go...he would know.
R

#59 _gtr-xu1_

_gtr-xu1_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 01:31 PM

One final technical point....24C was the 72 car...as there were classes...73 car was 24...no letter as it was Group C...just to be picky. That is the giveaway that my pic shows the 73 car damaged on the way to Bathurst...look at the bonnet number.
R
(Shit I find some great old pics in my shoebox when I have some drinks and go looking! 20 years of racing crap finally surfacing and being useful! Lol!)

Rory
even at bathurst in 72 the number on the bonnet of the 24c car didnot have a C on the bonnet just 24 in white with a black back ground. the C was on the doors

#60 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:13 PM

OK I will clarify it more..in 72 the numbers on the bonnet were white on the black panel background...73 was black numbers a round white circle on the bonnet.
R

#61 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 03:14 PM

OK I will clarify it more..in 72 the numbers on the bonnet were white on the black panel background...73 was black numbers on a round white circle on the bonnet.
R

Edited by rorym, 07 September 2006 - 03:16 PM.

#62 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 07:47 PM

No apology needed Rory as I was not making reference to you.

Daz is a very lucky man who has waited patiently to take ownership of the car, now he has it he is on a winner as it's better than money in the bank! :spoton:

#63 Toranavista

Toranavista

'Let There Be Rock' 1977

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,862 posts

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:21 PM

Any one know when and where the next one is?

#64 _Mondie_

_Mondie_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 09:38 PM

Toranavista,

Nothing definite yet of course but there was talk of Adelaide next, not sure if the event wil be yearly or biannual like some others such as the GT Nationals.

Cheers

#65 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 07 September 2006 - 11:39 PM

mondi i think you will find that the adelade one wont happen as tod martin
was going to do that as the one that got cancled earlyer in the year.
i think the xu1 club will continue to hold these events but i also belive you mexicans
have a offspring of the club and also qld is going to get one under way.
so mabey one off these can hold one :spoton:

#66 _smiley_

_smiley_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 04:18 AM

See Mondie you guys are the Mexicans and not us Queenslanders lol

#67 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:12 AM

What do people think about having a nationals in Adelaide, would forum members attend?

#68 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:14 AM

there is no club in adelade to hold the event :spoton:

#69 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:22 AM

Let me correct you doublin gtr, HTC Holden Torana Club SA Inc is the club I am involved with and we have many facilities in Adelaide which would accomodate such an event, for example how does the main straight on the Clipsal 500 track
Victoria Pk, or the National Motor Museum in Birdwood sound?

Thoughts people?

#70 _scooter_

_scooter_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 07:35 AM

Hi 2600S,

Count me in for the Adelaide trip....I would love to go for the drive..the Mrs has even booked a front seat with me. Hope the heirachy decide ti hold it in your beautiful city. Great to meet you the other Sunday.

scooter

#71 2600s

2600s

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,172 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 10:04 AM

If we can gather enough interest I am sure a great show can be arranged, we could hold it in November 2007 maybe on the Classic Adelaide weekend and have our cars on display as part of the event?

#72 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 11:57 AM

Wash you mouth out Doublin!! :<_<: The Holden Torana Club of SA inc has been around since 1991. :D

Speaking of shows and events, a few years back the A9X Club (of which I am also a member) held its Nationals in Adelaide. It was a three day event with decent goody bags, full judging, car display inside the Clipsal 500 event (including complementary pass to the event) Dinner and trophy presentation, tour of the Holden facility at Elizabeth, cruise through the hills to the National motor Museum at Birdwood with a relaxed BBQ lunch and tour through the museum. If there's enough interest, there's no reason why something similar can't be organised for an XU-1 event, either using Clipsal or Classic Adelaide as a basis.

Re the judging, a few general comments and suggestions, from crusty old bugger that's been judging and organising shows for way too long. I believe that one of the best judging systems around is one that was developed by the Street Machine Association of SA (SMASA) over a number of years, when it was running shows with up to 400 entrants. It had a classification system that was based on the following criteria.

Restored/Original - no attempt is made to distinguish between whether a vehicle is in an unrestored condition, or whether it has been restored. It is just too hard to draw the line as to whether a car is untouched, has minor work done, or has had a major authentic rebuild. The criteria for resto/original is that the car must be to all intents and purposes in original condition, or as close as you can get to it with currently available parts. No extra chrome, no stereos if not oem, no pink spark plug leads, no racing harnesses, electronic ignition or sports wheel, etc. The ONLY exceptions were safety related items, such as fitting seat belts if not oem, fitting of fire extinguisher, third brake light etc. It's not to concourse level though - radial tyres (as long as they are about the right size), aftermarket oil filters, spark plugs, etc are OK, once again, as long as they perform a similar duty and look similar to period items.

If a car had ANY mods, then it was assessed with a detailed classification sheet that allocated points (classification points, NOT judging points) to each modification. If the car was only lightly modified and the classification points added up to less than 40 (eg CD player and a small amount of engine bay chrome), then the vehicle was put into 'contemporary' class, which is a class for quite original vehicles, with minor mods which don't detract from the overall original look of the car.

If the classification points exceeded 40, which indicated that the car looked quite modified to the casual observer (eg aftermarket mags, stereo, steering wheel, retrimmed interior, chrome, etc), then the car is put into what is known as body style and year classes.

For extremely modified and/or detailed cars, including a detailed undercarriage, there is a separate 'show' class.

For vehicles with a proveable race/competition history, there is a competition class.

Once each car has been classified, the classification is explained to the owner, and written on a sticker on the car windscreen, so entrants and public can see who is competing against who. Every car, no matter what classification, is eligible for general trophies, like top overall, top engine bay, interior, exterior, etc, and there are also trophies for each classification.

If any entrant was unhappy with their classification or another entrant's classification, it was up to them to lodge an appeal, and if it was directed against the authenticity of another vehicle, or its right to be in a specific classification, then the onus was then put on the owner of that vehicle to prove its authenticity or eligibility for the classification.

Might sound complicated to read all at once, but believe me, it works pretty well, especially if explained up front to entrants. It was fine tuned in many many shows, judging thousands of vehicles.

#73 _doublin gtr_

_doublin gtr_
  • Guests

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:14 PM

what i ment was there is no xu1 club in south aus
and didnt think about another club holding the event :blink:
when my car is finished id have no prob heading off to south aus :spoton:

#74 Dangerous

Dangerous

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 948 posts

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:32 PM

what i ment was there is no xu1 club in south aus
and didnt think about another club holding the event :blink:
when my car is finished id have no prob heading off to south aus :spoton:

We've got a few GTRs and XU-1s in the Club, and we certainly wouldn't mind working with interstate Clubs to put on an event, if there's sufficient interest.

#75 Pop's-SS

Pop's-SS

Pops

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,962 posts
  • Name:Barry
  • Car:1976 Mandarin Red SS Hatchback

Posted 08 September 2006 - 12:34 PM

G'day All

Adelaide 2008 was going to be the next GTR & XU-1 Nationals event to be held by the Muscle Car Events people.

That was proposed around the time of the cancelled Easter Nationals.

If I get enough warning, I can save up to fund the trip and WILL go. :rockon:

Like Scooter's missus, mine had claimed the front seat for that event.
At Eastern Creek I took my son BJ (Barry Junior) and it was a great father & son weekend :spoton:

Posted Image

Thanks to Scooter for taking the photo.
AND as Peter said it was good to meet other forum members. :spoton:

Regards ........... Barry

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users