replacing triple SU's with a holley?

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#1 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 07:38 PM

Hi guys im gettin rid of my triple su's and was going for a 465 4barrel holley what do u reckon the next best carb to replace the triples?

#2 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 09:09 PM

I would agree with the 465holley... Most ppl would probably suggest twin strombergs (i have a mate with an EH and a set of these - MAAAD and bloody quick)...

It's up to you mate!!

Cheers
Keith

#3 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 27 September 2006 - 10:19 PM

1.75 triples should dominate a 465 holley anyday.............. what are you motor specs?

#4 _Keithy's_UC_

_Keithy's_UC_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2006 - 02:06 AM

He's probably getting rid of them due to excessive fuel consumption or for more ease of tuning/simplicity reasons...

Cheers
Keith

#5 _jklumpp_

_jklumpp_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2006 - 01:30 PM

I would have thought the SU's were far more efficient than the Holley or 'Bucket with a hole in it' as my mechanic calls them.

SU's are by nature of their design, a very efficient carby.

Not sure of your reasons, But I would say spend the money on getting the SU's right, and you'll never look back.... :spoton:

#6 _@milco@_

_@milco@_
  • Guests

Posted 28 September 2006 - 11:25 PM

a holley will use more fuel than tripples any day, as jklummp said get your triples done right the first time and you will be laughing, better fuel econ that a holley and better performance

#7 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:06 AM

SU's are self metering and are as efficient or expensive as you want to drive them.

But if you don't have a smooth idle, you'll have a clean engine bay from the shower of petrol the fuel bowl vents give it at idle. In traffic thats always expensive.

#8 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:53 AM

never owned a hot 6 myself but i,d have to agree here, unless you supercharged or something, it just goes against the principal, the air has to turn too sharp out of a holley to get anyware near the performance and economy out of tripples.

#9 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 09:24 PM

^^^^Agree totally!
I've had a number carb set-ups on my hot 6, twin stromy's,34adm webber,
WW stromy & holleys 350,500 & 465. All set up properly and dynod each time.
Of all these the 465 gave the best results, very good power & reasonable
economy. At that time the car was really quick, so i used the 465 for 18 months
or so & it was good.
Then i found a really good set of 1"3/4 SU's. WELL...let me tell you,the tripples rule. More power all through the rev range[dyno proven] better idle quality,even better responsiveness & driveability & a BIG improvement in fuel efficiency.
As others have said, They have to be set up properly & be in good condition,
You have to run a fuel pressure regulator also. I might add in almost 12 months
there has been no need to retune anything.
I love em, tripples really allow the old holden 6 to give you it's best :clap:

#10 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 29 September 2006 - 11:24 PM

SU's are self metering and are as efficient or expensive as you want to drive them.

But if you don't have a smooth idle, you'll have a clean engine bay from the shower of petrol the fuel bowl vents give it at idle. In traffic thats always expensive.

i dont know what your on about mate, i have never experienced that from my SU's...

mine are absolutely fantastic, no need to retune for ages, and especially dont leak fuel. can be as fuel efficient as i want, or dont want, and they dont let me down in the power department.

A1

#11 _smcbr6_

_smcbr6_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 10:34 AM

Another vote for the triple SU's :)

Aquarius - quick question regarding the fuel pressure regulator... On mine I have a holley Red, according to the spec it can flow as low as 4psi and doesn't need a regulator. But I've heard the SU's only require 3 psi - do you run a regulator and what is it set at?

Cheers,
Shane
'71 LC
http://manny.homelin...ent/torana.html

#12 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 11:26 AM

i dont know what your on about mate, i have never experienced that from my SU's...

mine are absolutely fantastic, no need to retune for ages, and especially dont leak fuel. can be as fuel efficient as i want, or dont want, and they dont let me down in the power department.

A1

I probably should have been more specific and exaggerated less.

I am talking specifically about SU's not sidedraught strombergs, I don't mean a slightly rough idle I'm talking a lumpy idle, set too low, that throws the motor about a bit. It's not a shower but my stockcar with the long 8" armours manifold leaks like a sieve when its cold as do many of the other stockcars at the track. Their fine within a few minutes when the idle picks up.

Don't be mistaken, I love 'em and wouldn't use anything else on the stockcar.

#13 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:06 PM

G'day shane,
You've heard correct, If you don't run a reg with SU's they tend to
overfuel & even leak at idle & low revs. I ran mine the first couple
of days without one & it ran very rich, and ended up fowling the plugs.
My engine builder told me to fit a reg and set at 21/2 - 3psi. That's
what i did & even before the dyno tune it ran perfect !
I often wonder when i hear people say SU's are thirsty,tempromental,
can't get em set right, Blah Blah, If they just need to fit a regulator?
They are Brilliantly simple and very efficient.
This is just from my experiences. :D

#14 _levis_

_levis_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:16 PM

how much for one of these fuel regulators?

#15 _Aquarius - LC_

_Aquarius - LC_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:23 PM

Hey levis , Mine's a fuel pro, think it was about $85....i think :D

#16 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:45 PM

Seems to me that most of the people who bag triples haven't used them but are just going on what their told, and realise it or not there usually talking about triple webers, which can be troublesome, but their performance is undeniable. Most people I know call their Sidedraught Strombergs SU's. And assume their the same.

I've often wondered how quad SU's might go on a V8.

#17 _UCV80_

_UCV80_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 01:01 PM

swap ur triples for my nice 4barrel setup.

600km out of a 50L tank, on a hot worked 6.

#18 _draglc_

_draglc_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:21 PM

I never mentioned anything about strombergs...

and i have an extremely lumpy cam, 512thou lift, and mine dont leak a single drop, and neither do i have a regulator either.

A1

#19 limo

limo

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,672 posts
  • Car:most Torana models, Jag, Vauxhall, Triton, Staesman

Posted 30 September 2006 - 05:52 PM

I've often wondered how quad SU's might go on a V8.

Rover had a 3.5 ltre V8 with twin CDs before fuel injection and the first V12 Jags had 4 CD 150s, 2 twin manifolds, one for each 6cylinder bank.
both worked very well and efficient,
I once saw an after market manifold to put twin CD175 (or SUs) on Holden 308, don't how it went though.

#20 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 30 September 2006 - 06:35 PM

Sorry Draglc, the weber,stromy, su comment wasn't directed at you just an observation regarding the hard to tune comments by others. I didn't say all with a lumpy cam or rough idle will leak, just the few I have seen leak have been for this reason.

As far as V8's go surely it wouldn't be too difficult to fabricate a valley cover, & do the manifold in a cross over config. Would be interested in knowing what anyone with relevant experience thought of how it might perform.

#21 gooley

gooley

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 529 posts
  • Name:Jason
  • Car:Holden Torana LC 1970 Coupe

Posted 30 September 2006 - 07:05 PM

just to throw in a question here.....I am putting in Triple SU's on my Hot 6 LC and wondering would i need to buy a fuel regulator?......or abother fuel regulator cos i have no clue if i even got one or not

#22 _smcbr6_

_smcbr6_
  • Guests

Posted 01 October 2006 - 08:25 AM

Has anyone had any experience with these??

Procomp Reg on Ebay

Cheers,
Shane
'71 LC

#23 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

thy this link.
http://www.gmh-toran...wtopic=9449&hl=

#24 TerrA LX

TerrA LX

Fulcrum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,241 posts

Posted 01 October 2006 - 07:06 PM

or this one.
http://www.gmh-toran...wtopic=9092&hl=

#25 _troy_

_troy_
  • Guests

Posted 25 October 2006 - 11:35 AM

well after all this i will be stickin to the SU's ,i had them fully rebuilt and tuned a few years ago and there been in the shed ,just pulled them out ,cleaned them up with carby cleaner and petrol,they look a treat ,but once i bolt them back on the motor ,if they give me any grief they will get the hammer....

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users