Where the hell was jack looking?

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

Poll: SHOULD JACK PERKINS GET THICKER GLASSES? (8 member(s) have cast votes)

SHOULD JACK PERKINS GET THICKER GLASSES?

1. "sons of rich fathers"............... (6 votes [75.00%])

Percentage of vote: 75.00%

2. Need we say more....Cheers Greg.. (2 votes [25.00%])

Percentage of vote: 25.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#26 _Poinsdexter_

_Poinsdexter_
  • Guests

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:19 AM

It was a very disappointing incident.

If you look on Skaife's steering wheel, he has a ally handle by his left fingers. This is used by the driver on the start (watch the footage), in the following way:

Depress the brake, hold the lever, let the brake off, bring the revs up, let the clutch out to the friction point. When the lights go green, release the lever and the clutch at the same time.

This lever holds the brake on, usually using a solenoid, to block the rear brake lines, not allowing the fluid to release. It is used to remove any driveline slack to make for better starts.

This option is only available using a carbon clutch, a sintered clutch will burn out immediately.

From the time Skaife brought the revs up to the time the cars left the line was 15 seconds (I timed it), which is way too long for the clutch to be held in this position.

My questions are:

As a driver, it is your job (or delegate it to a team member) to watch previous races to see the start procedure on the day. The Porsche race was also started the same way (long delay). Skaife should've known this.

Why use this procedure for an endurance race, as it is very hard on the clutch? The other team car did a "nanna start" to preserve the driveline, which cost them places, but is a far better option.

I find it difficult to believe the clutch was slipping in the warm up. They had 2 hours to race start, easily enough time to change the clutch.

This may be a contentious opinion, but I am only one, so I'll leave it up to the experts to decide.

#27 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 06:32 PM

Was pretty shattering to see Skaife out so soon, but I don't think Jack could do much to avoid him.. looked like a pretty blind hill and with a track full of cars where you gonna go? :blink:

Steve

#28 _hrt1and2_

_hrt1and2_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:12 PM

yeah racing incident, man i was pissed to see that car in the wall. :(

#29 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:53 PM

I was talking to a mate about this today who used to work on a few V8 supercars teams and has a mutual mate at HRT. He was telling me basically Skaife stuffed up and had cooked the clutch. Why in hell he tried to get up the hill in fifth is beyond them, he should have dropped it down the gears. Anyway, whats done is done, and he shouldn't have used the method he did to launch the car. Apparently he does lots of burnouts to warm the rear tyres too. 120l of fuel, sticky as rear tyres and using that type of launch something had to give. All the other drivers tried to keep the rear tyres cool, you get some wheelspin at the launch, but at least nothing breaks.

#30 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 08:01 PM

Easy to say..but having been there and done it on bikes...I would have had 2 wheels on the grass on the left side to avoid 20 snarling hot heads up my arse I knew were coming...It was a mistake..shit happens...Mark seemed more sorry for Garths chances in the Championship..he was very humble...I still like the guy..
R

#31 bluea9x

bluea9x

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 437 posts
  • Name:King Loz
  • Car:1976 L31 SS

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:44 PM

Jack Perkins was out there trying just as hard as anyone else, yes it was his first Bathurst but this kid has true talent and respect for the sport and fans alike. Driving that road normally (under the legal speed limit) you can loose sight of the road, when your racing your more concerned about the person beside you, trying to get your nose in front then a car that is slowing on the first lap. As usual the mountain claimed its due. The don't call it the toughest race for nothing. My hat off the Jack for continuing on and assisting were ever he could even though his race was over.

For once both Ford and Holden won, Ford built the car, Holden built the driver. Congratulations Craig your mentor would be proud. :spoton:

#32 micklx

micklx

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,785 posts
  • Name:Mick

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:46 PM

I found it interesting that Skaife said that a slipping clutch usually clears as you go up through the gears. I've usually found that the higher the gear, the more load and the more the clutch will slip. The way to drive with a slipping clutch (IMHO) is to back off till it grips then accelerate slowly.

The damage that was done is testament to the speed difference between the cars. Theres no way Skaife was doing 190.

Funniest thing was that Neil Crompton thought Skaifes skid marks were Jacks and said that Jack tried to go around him on the grass on the left.

Well done to the winner and runner up for an entertaining finish!!!

#33 REDA9X

REDA9X

Removed

• Inactive
  • Pip
  • 0 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:49 PM

Skaife was apparently going very slow when he was hit, not even over 100 from the data downloaded

#34 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 10 October 2006 - 09:56 PM

Thanks Mick...I might be getting old but my perception of speed isnt that far off yet!
R

#35 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:44 AM

skaife was at fault, first he cooked the clutch, then proceeded to really torch it just to make sure, then drove on the side of the road doing 100ks less the the passing traffic on a road wide enough for 2 cars.
cant beleive so many cars got past without hitting him.
what he did was very stupid. looked like even he knew it.

jacks car started to head right as soon as you saw the slow car, but nobody could of avoided that, just remember the camera was left of the driver, so we saw skaife before jack! something to do with the car in front of him?

should of been skaife saying sorry, if it was a more experienced driver, they may have got out and tried to punch his lights out.

surprised they dont put a number on the side of the safety car, would of gone close to 75% of the race for a place. the driver thought he was in the race, look at how he left the pits!

it was very fitting craig won, shame it was a ford.

#36 _rorym_

_rorym_
  • Guests

Posted 13 October 2006 - 10:02 PM

Skiafe did say sorry..was very sheepish about the whole deal..Was really sorry for Garths champ points...He should have had 2 wheels on the grass at the left and he knows it. To say he was travelling at 200kph when he was hit is being a bit one eyed Holden..I raced GP bikes for many years and the closing speed of the guys behind him was frightening. He was almost stopped.
R

#37 rodomo

rodomo

To advertise here, call 13TORANA

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 17,999 posts
  • Name:R - O - B Dammit!

Posted 14 October 2006 - 02:52 AM

Where the hell was jack looking?

I would say from all the footage I have seen, Jack was looking in his R/H mirror (to be specific) to see how far right he could move without nailing another innocent into the wall. The sceptics obviously didn't see saturdays race where he and Price came 2nd and 3rd. Jack had the goods on Price but showed a lot of maturity in team mode and settled for 3rd.

What about a poll was Jack right or wrong rather than this topic?

#38 _DocDamage_

_DocDamage_
  • Guests

Posted 14 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

What about a poll was Jack right or wrong rather than this topic?

Agreed, 36 replies a only 7 have voted, because it's the wrong question/answers.

#39 Tiny

Tiny

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,018 posts
  • Name:Tiny

Posted 14 October 2006 - 09:16 PM

I noticed skaifes car do a little lurch on teh startline... I thought "Uh Oh.. he's got clutch problems!!" and so he did...

I dont know where jack was looking, Ive got a feeling he was watchign his mirrors to try and get back toward teh racing line...

Its a bit of an unfortunate incident i belive, and i certainly dont think he did it on purpose, but i also dont think skaife could have done alot more. PErsonally i woudlnt have seen him put 2 wheel on the grass.. its a 160 lap race and he would have been trying ot limp back to the pits to try and get it fixed no doubt.

Anyway, i dont blame either.. i reclly belive it was a racing incident!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users