- - - - -

LS2 Hatch build

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#326 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 07:53 PM

No price yet. He is going to give me a call tomorrow and let me know what price he can get them for, then we go from there.
Dare I ask what you paid?

Marc the noise was only on coasting, not anywhere else. And it was a bit loud to the point that it was annoying, and I was worried about putting my little boy in it. Even the diff guy thought it was too loud. I do expect some noise, but not that bad.

#327 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 08:11 PM

Sure, I paid $1100 for the axles including removal and installation. I did get some other work done to the diff. The hat was replaced as it was completely stuffed. Obviously going from 28 to 31 spline axles some extra things had to be done to the centre like spider gears and not sure what else as I wasn't charged for some of it. The total bill was $1450 but the axles on there own were $1100.

I wouldn't be expecting much change out of $1K though that's for sure.

Edited by Gonedeaf, 07 November 2013 - 08:13 PM.

#328 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:34 PM

Here is where it sits waiting
Attached File  image.jpg   107.74K   7 downloads

#329 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 07 November 2013 - 09:59 PM

Tough as nails!

#330 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 02:11 AM

Here is where it sits waiting
attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Looks like you are all set to start cutting those quarter's for flares.... :D

#331 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 06:58 AM

Well that's an idea.............

Not a good one, but an idea :)

#332 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 08 November 2013 - 10:42 AM

Well that's an idea.............

Not a good one, but an idea :)

Yeah lets not ruin the bloody car.  :stirpot:

#333 TempesT

TempesT

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Name:James - JImmy or Jim
  • Car:LX hatch

Posted 08 November 2013 - 12:51 PM

Looks like you are all set to start cutting those quarter's for flares.... :D

facebook-dislike-button.png

btw this car reminds me sooo much of mine.

Edited by TempesT, 08 November 2013 - 12:53 PM.

#334 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2013 - 04:43 PM

Well I guess it's time for an update for those following my thread.

I did get the diff and axles back in time for the Ocean Road cruise with the other forum members. For those that came it was a great day with perfect weather. I started putting the diff back in at about ten on the night before we cruised, and finished around 1:30 - 2:00 that morning. Not tat bad really. I got up the next day, washed off my dirty finger marks and off I went. This time much quieter and a pleasure to drive. Took it easy as the diff came with instructions on ow to run it in. Nothing major but a procedure just the same. We met at the servo and off we went. Darren (LS1rana) jumped in with me. As we left Ayres Inlet I gave it a small rev and made a comment that it felt down on power, but pressed on. Thought nothing of it, and that's where it turned to crap. Time to pull over. I must add that up until now, my oil pressure never dropped! Darren can back me up on this. Anyway I sent Darren off with one of the others, thanks Wayne, and asked the rest of the convoy to continue without me. I didn't like the idea of holding everyone else up and ruining their day. So, I did a u turn and started back the other way. Again I will point out, great oil pressure.
Well I got a u turn done when it gave a shutter, bang and clutter, then that's all she wrote.
There was smoke coming from under the bonnet so I grabbed my fire extinguisher and opened the bonnet and got out quick smart. When I opened the bonnet the smoke was gone and noting looked any different. I got down on my knees, looked under the car back up at the engine to find a hole in the look next to the engine mount.
I know...... I know...... But hind sight is a wonderful thing. But it was now done and dusted :( I shouldn't have done a u turn!
I called my brother who kindly offered to come get me with a trailer and take me home.

Not a happy , and niether was my wife just quietly!

In the end it broke a rod bolt and spat the big end out the side.

So another long story short, another motor was sourced and rebuilt.

It's now back in the car and running once again. I will test drive in another hour or two when my wife gets home and releaves me of perental duties.
Fingers crossed all goes well :)

#335 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:22 PM

Random pics of the episode
Attached File  image.jpg   122.39K   4 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   77.56K   4 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   90.11K   5 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   102.9K   3 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   112.9K   4 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   105.49K   3 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   126.82K   4 downloads

#336 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:27 PM

And back in again
Attached File  image.jpg   131.24K   5 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   126.55K   7 downloads

#337 SmacT

SmacT

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 907 posts
  • Name:Sam
  • Car:LX 4dr 383, TKX, BW

Posted 20 December 2013 - 05:51 PM

Bloody hell! Know the cause? Seems like you are dealing with it well. Now, anyway...

#338 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2013 - 06:12 PM

Hanging for this update!!!

I confirm it had oil pressure right up till the end....

We need to book in a cruise after the Xmas nonsense has passed :)

#339 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2013 - 08:25 PM

What a pain!

You don't mess around though good to see it repaired so quick.

Count me in for the post Xmas cruise.

#340 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 20 December 2013 - 09:14 PM

Basically the exact cause is unknown. In my opinion, and I could well be wrong, it broke a rod bolt by either under tension, over tension or faulty bolt. I tend to lean towards human error more so than faulty parts.
The engine builder said no warranty. That upset me greatly. It had only done 800km. To be told no warranty made the hair on the back of my neck stand up, and many thoughts go through my head as to what I would do to del with it, or him. While I was taking a deep breath he said that he would help out all he could. That made me settle a bit, but just what was meant by that only time would tell.
To his credit, I supplied parts, he was to look after me with machining and labour to assemble. When I went to pick it up he gave me a bill for two valves as they were bent, head bolts and cam bearings. A total of $165. And, he carried out the work in a turnaround time of one week. I say that's a man that tends behind his word!

As for me not mucking around to get it going, now the car is registered, I want to keep it going. It's the right time of the year to get out and enjoy, not work in a hot shed as I have the past few years.

Took it out for a test drive earlier. Still need to put the bonnet on so didn't go too far. What a buzz!!!! It's got so much punch due to the diff gears it's hilarious.
Darren I need to take you far another ride. It feels like a different car. So much more go than when I gassed it with you. Obviously it was letting go slowly.

Oh well, bring on the after Chrissy cruise!!!

#341 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 20 December 2013 - 10:08 PM

Glad it's fixed mate :) Quick turnaround time!

#342 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 01:31 AM

:blink: :o

#343 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 05:51 AM

:D :D

#344 eyepeeler

eyepeeler

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,958 posts
  • Car:77 SL Hatchback, Chrome Yellow L34, LX IPRA Race Car the White Ghost

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:33 AM

Well done on turning it around so fast. Your right though, the time be out is now, enjoy it. Have a blast cruising, nothin better than driving with windows down and elbow out in a Torana.

#345 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 06:35 PM

Good to see its back on the road Grant, I didn't expect it to be so quickly. Count me in for the post Xmas cruise after the Heathcote boxing day drags.

#346 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 10:40 PM

Thanks guys.

Are you going to run yours at Hethcote Wayne? I would have loved to, but not quite enough km's on this engine to have a go yet

Your right eyepeeler, cruising window down and elbow out is the way to go. I'm actually surprised at how little the wind blows in on the hatch with the wind ups down. Quieter and less blowy than my VE!

#347 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 21 December 2013 - 11:03 PM

Thanks guys.

Are you going to run yours at Hethcote Wayne? I would have loved to, but not quite enough km's on this engine to have a go yet

Your right eyepeeler, cruising window down and elbow out is the way to go. I'm actually surprised at how little the wind blows in on the hatch with the wind ups down. Quieter and less blowy than my VE!

Nah not running at Heathcote at this stage, still got a few little things to be fixed up. Just going there as a spectator and take the kids out for the day.

I would play it safe too mate and get at least 1000 km's on it before really opening it up.

#348 _LHSL308_

_LHSL308_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 01:53 PM

Any updates Grant on the new engine and how things have progressed?

#349 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 07:31 PM

I think he's to busy out enjoying the car to worry about us lot and this thread lol

#350 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 30 January 2014 - 08:21 PM

Hi guys. I would love to say that I've been out enjoying the car, but unfortunately not the case.
Long story really short, engine was only in for a week or two when I took it back out. Wasn't happy with a few things so the smarter thing for me to do was pull it back out. I've been away on holidays for three weeks and just got back, so it's still sitting idle in the shed. I'm hoping to sort it out next week and get it back in the following weekend.
Once back in and sorted I will let know.
I still have a few things I want to do to the interior as well. I want to build a console to mount the stereo in, and I also want to install my front speakers in it. I really don't want to cut holes in my door skins, kick panels are not my favorite for speakers, so this is my next idea.
I will post photos a I go, but as I said, I just want to get the motor back in and running first.

What's the go with yours Wayne? Why off the road?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users