- - - - -

LS2 Hatch build

• Please log in to reply
389 replies to this topic

#276 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 09 September 2013 - 12:48 PM

Hey where abouts did you get that hard 90deg bend off the throttle body? I was looking for one a little while ago for mine as I didn't have much room between the intake & the radiator & fans.

Cheers, Nig.

Hi Nig, I found a 4" alloy one on eBay and bought that.  Sorry no pics of mine yet as I've yet to install it.

I think Autobarn stock the plastic ones from memory?

#277 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 03:42 PM

Hi Guys, thanks for the feed back.

The 90 bend I got from my neighbour. I'm pretty sure he got it along with some lengths of black flexible hose from Purple Pig. Apparently the sell it specifically for car air intakes. The bend is plastic, not rubber or metal.

The diff is acually about 10mm narrower than a stock Torana diff. With the wheels I have under it, the width works perfect. I have 235's under it now, but will take 255 without too much issue.

The rear has adjustable height coilovers intalled. Basically I can set the rear to any height I want. This is fairly much as low as I can go in the rear. There may be one setting lower, but that would make it near impossible for the suspension to work. The fronts are pedders. Can't remember which part number, but it's irrelavent. I had them reset lower to make me happy. I was told they were the lowest I could get. Fat load of crap that was. It sat like a 4 wheeler! anyway, reset to this and now I'm happy. I just need to play around withthe rear a bit, it's sitting lower on the right side that the left.

Still got a few things to do, just struggling to find time. My little bloke seems to think he rules the roost, and what he says goes. So far he's right too. I will get back out there soon. I intend on running up some km's over the next few weeks running around on a trade plate. Test drive it around and see what falls off or gives me greif :driving:  :furious:

I'm hoping to take an RDO soon and get it back onto the dyno. I'm itching to get tuned once and for all :3gears:

#278 _Matvex_

_Matvex_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:05 PM

Congrads Grant so close now! Yr boy with good reason is gonna eat up more and more time as every day passes.  And once you start fabbing up his mini chopper and torana pedal car you'll have no time at all! 

In two months i'll have 3 little ones under 4! Hence why my car is progressing at a snails pace. but i guess a snail is better then nothing at all. 

#279 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 11 September 2013 - 04:27 PM

I agree with slow is better than not at all.

I do have one question though,

How do you fit eveyone in a Torana Hatch? :dontknow:

Your project should be a stretched hatch!!  :P  :stirpot:

#280 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2013 - 08:09 PM

Took it out for a short drive tonight. Was hoping to go earlier in the day, but finally got out at 7:00. Babies really slow you down!!!
Any way let me say that I have forgotten how an old car drives. I have been driving brand new cars for the last 10 years or so. Don't know if its just old cars or whether my car needs to actually get driven. It bump steers a bit, has a little slop in the steering, and bounces quite a lot.
Oh well, this is it out and about

Attached File  image.jpg   105.46K   6 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   105K   4 downloads

Attached File  image.jpg   109.42K   5 downloads

#281 _goofy87_

_goofy87_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:28 PM

looks awesome! Big fan of your colour choice and have been reading your build thread as I'm about to dig into my LH with an LS1 conversion.  Did you run in to any issues with the shaved handles? Ive kept my torana in NSW rego as ACT rego is a pain and I know that you cant have shaved handles in the ACT. Its to do with if there is an accident they cant get you out or so I have heard. Might have to pick your brains later on when i get my conversion underway. Good work with the car, very envious!!

#282 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 12 September 2013 - 09:42 PM

I will take a photo of where my button is so you can see what I have done. The engineer was happy to shave the handles as long as I had some sort of finger grip if the door was to be partly jambed. For this I was going to make a temporary extension to my button and this would accomadate. The photo I will put up in the next day or so will make what I have said make sence.

I read your start to your build earlier. Good luck and enjoy the build :clappin:

#283 bryanw

bryanw

Forum Fan

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 14 September 2013 - 11:10 AM

Thanks re diff width. car is looking very good. about time to update you avatar?

Woops, I should talk

#284 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:19 PM

No pics today, but I feel I have some bragging rights.
I had a chance to get it out this weekend. I have now put 270km on it and its running like a dream. Deffinately needs to get to the dyno, but runs well none the less. Crazing at 100 in 6th is actually a nice ride. Suspension a bit stiff, but it's my toy not an every day car. The power is great fun. Not too over the top but great fun.
At this stage I'm happy that its been out crazing and basically no dramas. I had a small oil leak from one of the remote filter lines which was an easy fix, just tighten the fitting up, and a small fuel leak, again tighten a hose clamp on the breather.

Seems I might be a bit limp wristed!!
All in all a happy boy so far :)

#285 _berro59_

_berro59_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 07:31 PM

Nice mate.

Love the color. How many k's to the tank?

#286 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 22 September 2013 - 08:55 PM

Hard to say at this point. Thanks to the fuel leak I went through $60 of fuel with weekend. Plus my foot really hasn't been that polite either.

#287 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:02 PM

It's been a while so I thought I would give a quick update.
I haven't done a great deal, but have done a few small items. Things like rear belts, a few small items under the car, and a tidy of the hatch area. I am reluctant to spend too much coin at the moment so I have had a crack myself. I still need to get some thin foam and upholster the side panels.
Here is what it looks like

#288 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:11 PM

Attached File  image.jpg   105.09K   3 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   111.05K   3 downloads
Attached File  image.jpg   109.58K   4 downloads

#289 _Holden89nut_

_Holden89nut_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 06:56 PM

You beauty looking great!' Your getting close now great work mate

#290 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 07:09 PM

Coming along grouse Grant.

Where'd you jag the trade plate from mate :D    :deal:

#291 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 23 October 2013 - 08:01 PM

I am lucky enough to have a brother with one. We cruised around together to make sure the boys in blue didn't hassle me. Funny enough I was only picked up once for no front plate. As soon as they saw the trade plate, the said "have a good day" and off they went, no stress.

#292 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2013 - 01:15 AM

Coming along grouse Grant.

Where'd you jag the trade plate from mate :D    :deal:

Doesn't eveyone have a trade plate or two, to use ?  ;)

By the way....is it just the angle of the pics,  ? or looks like your 6 x 9's sort of go below the flat/horizontal bit of the floor ?

#293 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:04 AM

Your right they do get partially blocked by the floor. I will end up making boxes to mount them in that move them forward and on an angle facing the front at some stage, but I really wanted to tidy it up for now. I figure anything can be changed, I just need a starting point. I'm not happy as they are, but it will do for now. Unfortunately I have a few areas the same. Things like the gear stick boot, where the bonnet release cable is mounted, the lack of front console etc....... The list goes on.
In time I will tinker along.

Does anyone actually finish a car, or are they all just work in progress?

Your right they do get partially blocked by the floor. I will end up making boxes to mount them in that move them forward and on an angle facing the front at some stage, but I really wanted to tidy it up for now. I figure anything can be changed, I just need a starting point. I'm not happy as they are, but it will do for now. Unfortunately I have a few areas the same. Things like the gear stick boot, where the bonnet release cable is mounted, the lack of front console etc....... The list goes on.
In time I will tinker along.

Does anyone actually finish a car, or are they all just work in progress?

#294 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:42 AM

I went with component sized speakers....fit nicely above the floor area..but I hear you, and no...they never seem to ever be done I don't think either, lol..

Attached Files

#295 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:45 AM

Oh,and on the bonnet cable too....I didn't really dig that either, especially since I mounted my OBDII plug (and other fuse blocks) sort of where it went originally.

I went with a billet release handle/cable from Lokar and mounted it more to the side.

Attached Files

#296 _LS1 Hatch_

_LS1 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 24 October 2013 - 08:49 AM

And since you mentioned gear stick boot....and I was sitting in the car anyways with the phone out for the bonnet handle pic...

My shift boot, lol.. :)

Attached Files

#297 LXCHEV

LXCHEV

Lotsa Posts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,510 posts
  • Name:Brett
  • Car:'76 LX - 383 Chev

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:07 PM

Well done on a quality build Grant, this thing looks schmick as!!

#298 _greenmachine215_

_greenmachine215_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2013 - 09:21 PM

Man, I just seen the update from the first drive, must say congrats it doesn't seem long ago that it was perched up in the shed in bits?
And this wheels don't actually look that bad now that it's got some back drop behind the car, have you considered getting them painted in shadow chrome? That would look stealthy.

I bet it pulls like a 13year old boy!!!

Very nice

#299 _LS2 Hatch_

_LS2 Hatch_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:21 PM

Jeff thanks for the photos. I really like your ideas and the custom touches you have done. The main reason my speakers don't fit properly is that I raised the floor up by over two inches to clear the fuel tank.

Brett, the photos make my car look great, but it has it's flaws. Its still a garage build, but it holds it's own. Put it this way, I'm in no hurry to park next to you! :) saying that, hopefully I will get the chance sometime soon!

Marc I took it out for a blast yesterday and today to get it ready for tomorrow's cruise with the VTC. It was going ok but not fantastic. Every now and then it would run like crap between two and three thousand revs, then would clear after that. Then not too long after, I took a mate for a ride. I gave first a good hit, then everything went quiet. I lost all power. The ignition power was still there but the rest had gone out. I restarted the engine, it would idle, but if I touched the accelerator just I little, it would shut off! I felt like and absolute idiot! Here I am showing a mate how good my car is and this happens.
Well two and a half hours later I have refueled the tank thinking i was out of fuel,removed and cleaned the fuel pump twice, cleaned out the fuel filter and still nothing more than idle. Then after a hell of a lot of frustration, my mate saw some funny movement around the air cleaner each time I tried to pick up the revs. It turns out the air cleaner had moved on the intake pipe, and each time it created suction, it sucked the closed end of the air cleaner tight to the pipe and choked it of air. Such a small issue! What a pain in the ass, and made me feel like a real dick!!
After that it felt better than ever. Pulled much harder than a school boy and we were off paster than a brides dress on her wedding night!

It still needs to go back to the dyno, but even as it is, it has no hesitation in glazing the tyres in third even at around 75-80km. :)

As for shadow chrome wheels, this has actually been on my mind.

#300 _LS1 Taxi_

_LS1 Taxi_
  • Guests

Posted 26 October 2013 - 10:40 PM

Jeff thanks for the photos. I really like your ideas and the custom touches you have done. The main reason my speakers don't fit properly is that I raised the floor up by over two inches to clear the fuel tank.

Brett, the photos make my car look great, but it has it's flaws. Its still a garage build, but it holds it's own. Put it this way, I'm in no hurry to park next to you! :) saying that, hopefully I will get the chance sometime soon!

Marc I took it out for a blast yesterday and today to get it ready for tomorrow's cruise with the VTC. It was going ok but not fantastic. Every now and then it would run like crap between two and three thousand revs, then would clear after that. Then not too long after, I took a mate for a ride. I gave first a good hit, then everything went quiet. I lost all power. The ignition power was still there but the rest had gone out. I restarted the engine, it would idle, but if I touched the accelerator just I little, it would shut off! I felt like and absolute idiot! Here I am showing a mate how good my car is and this happens.
Well two and a half hours later I have refueled the tank thinking i was out of fuel,removed and cleaned the fuel pump twice, cleaned out the fuel filter and still nothing more than idle. Then after a hell of a lot of frustration, my mate saw some funny movement around the air cleaner each time I tried to pick up the revs. It turns out the air cleaner had moved on the intake pipe, and each time it created suction, it sucked the closed end of the air cleaner tight to the pipe and choked it of air. Such a small issue! What a pain in the ass, and made me feel like a real dick!!
After that it felt better than ever. Pulled much harder than a school boy and we were off paster than a brides dress on her wedding night!

It still needs to go back to the dyno, but even as it is, it has no hesitation in glazing the tyres in third even at around 75-80km. :)

As for shadow chrome wheels, this has actually been on my mind.

I'll bet you're glad it was something so simple. Sometimes fresh eyes can find the problem straight away.

Shame I can't do the dam run tomorrow, I'm hanging to see this garage build light em up    :3gears: 

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users