10/70 LC RALLEY RED XU-I RUST/GAP REPAIRS

• Please log in to reply
155 replies to this topic

#51 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 25 July 2013 - 08:00 AM

Hi all...

Ive spent the last couple of days trying to find a decent RH A-pillar inner and outer..

After pulling off 3.. I found one thats ok to use... They take a while to get off... I dont want to destroy the rest of the car as ALL panels are usable..

After some sandblasting and patching the spot weld holes, the inner panel Its ready to go on...

Ive patched the outer, will need a clean before it goes on..

Ill POR 15 inside it and the panel that it sits on before I put on as its covered and wont be able to paint..

I also fixed the LH A-pillar... It will need grinding to finnish.. All good.

The owner has purchased some doors..suposed to be perfect.. We will see... I cant mount the inner pillar untill I get the doors.

I wont have to fix his old doors...

Im going to replace the both inner skirt lips that weld to the guard as they are a mess and nothing to weld to.. i tried to patch..rusty crap...

I/we want nice and smooth under there so I can spot weld the guard on.. Replicating as factory...

Im wanting today to sandblast the peluhm area ans kickers ready to POR 15.. Might as well do it one go..

Mike

Attached Files

#52 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:35 AM

Hi all.... How are we all today?

Im ready for a FULL day working on this beauty.

I started to get ready to POR 15 the RH kicker panel ready to put the inner A-pillar on...

I had to take off the sill end.. Lucky I did as its a mess... The inner sill end was FULL of seam sealer to hide the dodgy welding... It would of easier for the guy to replace rather than fill full of welds..... llI cut ALL his crap away to start again... I had to make a patch as I havnt any pieces left for this.. I only have full sills and I wont cut for that bit...

I will have to make a floor patch to lock the end sill in properly, not how he did it.. Dodgy..

Anyways.. It will go on today... I will make it as close to original as I can.. A bit of stuffing around.. I do want it to look original so Ill do it that way...

Have a look at the RH door outer sill...

They just welded on a new one over the old one....Even when they did the inner sill... Just welded over the old one... WHY???? It wouldnt have taken much more time to take off the old one, clean and replace.... Doesnt make sense...

In fact, this WHOLE car doesnt make sense to me... Why fix if your not going to fix properly.....

Ill ask the owner if he wants me to replace the outer sill and do it properly.. Its not rusted through so should be ok.. Its the over lapping panels that bug me.. Doesnt look good, and moister trap..

Any way... ALL the rusty crap has been revealed and now in the process of fixing.

The LH A-pillar is done.. The end sill will need some work... Ill have a look later, to see how Ill go about it.

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 26 July 2013 - 07:38 AM.

#53 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 26 July 2013 - 07:06 PM

Hi all..

I spent a few hours making and fitting the patches needed to repair the RH inner floor seal and floor/firewall.. The floor was sooo thin and rusty in the corner that when I ground away the dodgy welds.. it fell to bits.. Was easier to make a new patch and cut away the crap.

Was fiddly fitting, working around the braces.. and welding to old rusty metal... Got it done.. Much better than what it was yesterday...  and looks ok too.. I will finnish when the braces come off.. Bit ackward to grind in there at the moment.

Ill cut away the excess lip when I fit the guard.. I want a nice straight look.

Now I have to fix the kicker area where the seam sealer was hiding some nasties.. Ill think about how to go about that..

Test fitted the A-pillar inner.. no worries.. all that work just to get to this stage...

More next week.. Ive had enough of cars .. Off to my girls..

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 26 July 2013 - 07:07 PM.

#54 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 29 July 2013 - 11:11 PM

Hi all..

I had a go today at fitting the gurad to get the window cowl/guard gap. Fitted well.. Door lines up ok... I will have to make a new cowl end. Gaps are good. They will need some adjusting..

Mike

Attached Files

#55 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 30 July 2013 - 06:00 PM

Hi Mike

Looking great, do those repro guards fit well with out too much trouble

Regards Simon

#56 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:24 PM

Hi Mike

Looking great, do those repro guards fit well with out too much trouble

Regards Simon

Still fiddling, will know when final fitting.

#57 debkar

debkar

Forum Fixture

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 911 posts
  • Car:1971 LC 2 Door

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:28 PM

Thanks Mike , will certainly keep checking this thread , well done so far

#58 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 30 July 2013 - 07:45 PM

Hi all....

I fixed the cowl today plus the rust in the RH kicker panel...

Made some patches, fitted the LH guard and made the cowl end to fit that.. was fiddly but worked out well... Also fitted the inner seal.

I made a patch for the RH side as well... Had to cut out more because it was too thin to weld to.. got the curve currect on both sides..  Tomm Ill weld on the inner piece on both sides, grind down then I will lead fill to finnish.

To fix the RH kicker, I cut a piece off a donour and fitted in the usual way after sandblasting/patching/por 15... All good and strong again.. That corner of the car is now done..

On with fitting the RH door.

Attached Files

#59 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 01 August 2013 - 08:09 AM

Hi all..

I finnished and dry fitted the window cowl.. Turned out well..

I fiddled with the LH door for ages yesterday... No matter what I did.. I couldnt get it right... Was very frustrating... So. I thought f$#%# it.. Ill put the hinge barrels where I want them to sit.. So I set the door without the hinge pins in place. Making sure to get a good average with the gaps... Then tack welded it in place... That will fix the bugger.. I wont set in place until I have the RH door roughly where I want it. Then place the bonnet on and assemble the front panels including grill/light surrounds etc.. Then final adjust the doors, Pull apart front panels and weld doors where I want them...

The gaps will need some fine tunning after wards..

The owner WILL get nice tight gaps as requested.. Just more work than expected..

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 01 August 2013 - 08:10 AM.

#60 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 05:24 AM

Hi all....

Not much happened with the car over the weekend.

I cut and fitted a new inner skirt lip for the LH side... Took my time welding, no warping.. Good even penetration.. I used a alumin block to weld against.. Stops the holes blowing through and keeps the welds flat..  

Now we have a good straght no holes lip that I can spot weld the new guard to..  Will look and feel like a it never came off.

I have to do the same to the RH side today as its a mess as well. I will clean up when guards are on..

Mike

Attached Files

#61 Toranamat69

Toranamat69

Forum R&D Officer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,117 posts

Posted 06 August 2013 - 09:09 AM

Did you make that new lip up or did you salvage from one of your other shells?  I need to do this on my LC at some stage.

#62 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 06:01 PM

Did you make that new lip up or did you salvage from one of your other shells?  I need to do this on my LC at some stage.

Cut off a donour..Im doing the RH side as well.

#63 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 06 August 2013 - 08:06 PM

Hi all...

I spent some time on the car today..

I fiddled with the bonnet and all gaps/alignment again... Better than what it was. Im still not 100% happy.. I will be able to get better when I finally weld on. I had to use the old fence puller again to pull in the inner guard lip to fit the LH guard properly.. Got the gaps even both sides now..

Over all, the gaps/alignment has turned out pretty good.. I will be able to pull the guards in when I weld them to the  A-pillar.. They stick out a little now as they arnt attached.. it will go in more.

When doors/guards are fitted/welded in place.. Ill then weld some rods on the guards or doors to get the magic "paddle pop" lines..

Im going to fiddle with the cowl ends as well.. Just being fussy...

I fitted the grill, surrounds and grill filler/holder.. Fits good and straight with alright gaps.. will be better when finally fitted..

alls well in XU-1 world...

Got a new toy today... When I work it out I will show all..

Mike

Attached Files

Edited by mikecatts, 06 August 2013 - 08:08 PM.

#64 _05-BROCKY-05_

_05-BROCKY-05_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:38 AM

Looking good.

#65 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:53 PM

http://www.youtube.c...-ssvIpJjeLyc10w

#66 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 08 August 2013 - 04:19 AM

Hi all... I cant sleep :(

I fitted a new RH inner skirt lip... Worked out well,, no warps.. Kept cool with small welds/ alumin block as per LH side...

I also placed the LH door in the correct position and welded some decent donour hinge barrels in place.

Closes easy..No binding, hinges are straight. The inner striker is dirty and tight.. Needs a bit to close.. Over all,, Turned out very well and gaps are good.. This is the way to get the LC/LJ doors correct.. very easy and accurate.

As per customers in instructions... "he wants his doors to close with no binding".    Done   :)

I POR 15 the RH inner A-pillar inside as well as the inside of the kicker panel... Now to final place, get gaps and weld... Thats todays job.

Mike

Attached Files

#67 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:36 AM

Rh door is set..

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=oO_J0Id3MyY

#68 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 09 August 2013 - 06:47 AM

Hi all...

I fiddled with the RH door yesterday.. I got the gap/ openings set well.. Ive matched what is on the other side as best as I can.. Its withing 1mm... Just being fussy...

I had to use the porta power to "push" the door back while it was on the hinge blocks.. Worked well..

welded the inner panle on.

I then por 15 the inner panel..

Today Ill make a sill end and attach to the outer,, Then weld on..... before I do that.. Ill put the guards back on,, Just to make sure verythings ok..

Then do the outer door sills. as the gaps suck

Nearly done..

Mike

Attached Files

#69 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 10 August 2013 - 04:59 AM

Hi all...

I made the outer door sill end and fitted it to the RH A-pillar outer...

welded on and ready to final fit the hinge Pillar..

Much better than the ones that came off.... Ill drill the inspection hole when on.

The door gaps are done. Will do a final check when I put the guards back on... So far..alls good.

Mike

Attached Files

#70 _73LJWhiteSL_

_73LJWhiteSL_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 01:17 PM

Just been reading through your thread again mate, it's been very helpful. I'm currently removing the outer skin of the A pillars as they have half rusted away and its helpful to see your pictures so i know whats underneath. I wish Holden had sealed the A pillars better.  :banghead:

Thanks for sharing the pictures and keep up the good work, look forward to the next installment.

Steve

#71 ZUSE

ZUSE

Forum Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 91 posts
  • Name:ZUSE
  • Car:GTR TORANA
Garage View Garage

Posted 11 August 2013 - 04:02 PM

hi comparei  mike 

its been a absolute pleasure in watching your ( METAL FINISH ) and a pleasure to do business with soooo glad your in adelaide ? looking forward for end result

its great to deal with some one as open as your self nothing to hide step by step able to come and see at any time highly recommended your skill in working with metal is second to none (not a lot of it around as we discovered  not just in the panel department  but also else where ? )  the car as good as it looked , was only ever butchered for the dollar value ? nothing else ....... the car will be RESTORED as it should be .

zuse

#72 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:14 PM

Just been reading through your thread again mate, it's been very helpful. I'm currently removing the outer skin of the A pillars as they have half rusted away and its helpful to see your pictures so i know whats underneath. I wish Holden had sealed the A pillars better.  :banghead:

Thanks for sharing the pictures and keep up the good work, look forward to the next installment.

Steve

Hi Steve.. My pleasure buddy... I did the same to the last car.. A LJ GTR... I did both sides.. Have a look.. It might help.. They did.. Just lack of maintenace and dirt..= rust..

http://www.gmh-toran...airs-on-lj-gtr/

Mike

#73 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 11 August 2013 - 07:20 PM

hi comparei  mike 

its been a absolute pleasure in watching your ( METAL FINISH ) and a pleasure to do business with soooo glad your in adelaide ? looking forward for end result

its great to deal with some one as open as your self nothing to hide step by step able to come and see at any time highly recommended your skill in working with metal is second to none (not a lot of it around as we discovered  not just in the panel department  but also else where ? )  the car as good as it looked , was only ever butchered for the dollar value ? nothing else ....... the car will be RESTORED as it should be .

zuse

Hi my friend..

Ta.. I try to please.. I have nothing to hide.. I do give the customer a DVD with ALL the pics/vids... I do enjoy palying with these cars and the satisfaction I get, knowing I just saved another is a good feeling... I have a quilt free conscience..... Pity I cant sleep too well though...

You said.. Bogged for cash.. and a LOT of cash as well... A decent deposit on a house.. Bloody rouges.. They will get caught out in the end..

This baby will be better than new...

Tomm Im wanting to final weld the RH A-pillar on, and take off both door outer sills and start on them... Im not looking forward to seeing whats behind them babies... Well see...

Mike

Edited by mikecatts, 11 August 2013 - 07:21 PM.

#74 _mikecatts_

_mikecatts_
  • Guests

Posted 13 August 2013 - 08:52 PM

Hi all...

Finally got the RH door where I want it to sit... Gaps are good, alignment is good...

After welding on the outer I then fixed the missing pieces on the A-pillar outer top.. All good as new...

Fitted the seal.. DONE   :) 

I fiddled with the guard/window cowl gaps, etc.. Still not happy.. I have another go tomm..

Ive taken the door/guards on and off at least 50 times... part of the job..

Attached Files

#75 Potta

Potta

Oh My, Don't you post alot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,026 posts
  • Name:Craig
  • Car:LC GTR, LC 4 door

Posted 14 August 2013 - 01:02 AM

That would drive me BONKERS!!

But, I guess that's what you have to do for a perfect fit.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users